Reta and Caffeine

Crowreap said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

No jitteriness at all. I have 2 cups each morning, beginning at about 5AM. My wife follows the same routine, and neither of us has had any problems. @Bigdog0628, what dose are you taking?
I left out that my caffeine intake is 400-600 mg
Wouldn't that amount be pretty high for daily intake?

In the US and multiple other nations, 400mg per day is the standard upper limit. My own guideline is 5mg/kg.

For kids, Canada recommends 2.5mg/kg.
 
7 months of mounjaro at 5mg, plus 7-8 cups of coffee each day. I didn't notice anything like that. 1 month on reta at 3mg, and still nothing different, other than being much thirstier than before and getting less hunger suppression than I did with tirz.
 
I've been in the same boat, more or less. My caffeine consumption has never been low, but once reta entered the picture, stimulants started producing a different response in me. The anxious, overstimulated aspect of caffeine appears to have become more pronounced.

That said, I don't mind it. It pushed me to reduce my intake by a lot. These days I swap part of the caffeine for 200mg modafinil, which comes across as gentler and with less of that shaky feeling.

It leaves me asking whether the dopamine/reward pathway changes from GLP-1 are altering what stimulants feel like.
 
woundcarping said:

Crowreap said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

No jitteriness at all. I have 2 cups each morning, beginning at about 5AM. My wife follows the same routine, and neither of us has had any problems. @Bigdog0628, what dose are you taking?
I left out that my caffeine intake is 400-600 mg
Wouldn't that amount be pretty high for daily intake?

In the US and multiple other nations, 400mg per day is the standard upper limit. My own guideline is 5mg/kg.

For kids, Canada recommends 2.5mg/kg.
Wow, I didn't realize it reached that level. My own intake is just 200 mg a day, taken ahead of working out. Hearing a figure like 400 makes me feel that could be overdoing it. As for my 200 mg, it leaves me wired for several hours afterward!!
 
So I dropped my caffeine down to 200mg this morning plus 100 this afternoon, and that feels like the right amount. Man, Reta is great — it has killed so many of my bad habits, and I simply don't crave them the way I did for decades.
 
Plenty of individuals take in more than 400mg of caffeine daily.

As it stands, there is reasonably solid data suggesting it benefits health, at least in moderate amounts, lowering the likelihood of dementia, diabetes, and other conditions. Doses exceeding 1g/day are likely unwise.

For those prone to anxiety, caffeine can intensify it, and it may activate the sympathetic nervous system, producing bodily sensations that resemble anxiety and then triggering anxiety through a feedback loop. Any other substance that ramps up sympathetic nervous system activity can produce the same effect or amplify caffeine's impact, such as reta. Still, cutting back on caffeine isn't difficult if you're experiencing negative effects while on reta, though it might be better to taper the dose gradually to avoid withdrawal headaches or migraines.
 
Ever since I began Reta, my caffeine tolerance has dropped. Somewhere I came across advice to reduce caffeine intake by 50% because of a faster heart rate, but I genuinely can't recall where that was!
 
Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Honestly, I'd love to be dealing with that instead. When I lift, reta tends to leave me running low on energy. It's possible my body has gotten somewhat used to it by now, but I've still had to become really strict about consuming carbs and preworkout prior to hitting the gym. My guess is that because of the glucagon agonism, my stored glucose stays so depleted that there's less energy ready to use. To feel like myself, I've needed to hold my dose below 6mg/wk. Even after more than a year on reta, going higher than that still isn't possible for me.
 
mybodyisasewer said:

Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Honestly, I'd love to be dealing with that instead. When I lift, reta tends to leave me running low on energy. It's possible my body has gotten somewhat used to it by now, but I've still had to become really strict about consuming carbs and preworkout prior to hitting the gym. My guess is that because of the glucagon agonism, my stored glucose stays so depleted that there's less energy ready to use. To feel like myself, I've needed to hold my dose below 6mg/wk. Even after more than a year on reta, going higher than that still isn't possible for me.
Has Mots-C been something you've considered? Since I started taking it, my energy levels have been fantastic!
 
mybodyisasewer said:

Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Honestly, I'd love to be dealing with that instead. When I lift, reta tends to leave me running low on energy. It's possible my body has gotten somewhat used to it by now, but I've still had to become really strict about consuming carbs and preworkout prior to hitting the gym. My guess is that because of the glucagon agonism, my stored glucose stays so depleted that there's less energy ready to use. To feel like myself, I've needed to hold my dose below 6mg/wk. Even after more than a year on reta, going higher than that still isn't possible for me.
When you are losing weight, you almost certainly end up with low glycogen stores. A good chunk of the early water weight drop when a diet begins comes from glycogen being used up, particularly in the liver, since glycogen requires water to stay osmotically balanced.

That means this effect is not something only reta produces; shedding weight on its own keeps glycogen storage low.
 
When taking Reta, does the higher RHR stay elevated the whole time, or does it settle down once a few weeks have passed?
 
Mounjaro plus a strict diet such as keto throws my electrolytes off. Since caffeine also works as a diuretic, it affects me more strongly, so I had to reduce how much I consume or else headaches would set in. Staying properly hydrated matters a lot. This same pattern showed up with a different stimulant I take for adhd. These days I always have electrolytes and water in the morning before any coffee.
 
Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Tirz gives me the same reaction.

Every morning, before breakfast, I start the day with yerba mate. That's been my routine for years. The mateine in yerba is chemically identical to caffeine, only the name is different.

It's been 8 weeks on Tirz for me, and roughly 3-4 weeks ago I began noticing anxiety after my morning yerba. When that feeling shows up, I take it as a sign my dose has gone too high.

I've reduced my intake by 1/3, yet some days it still hits me harder than I'd like. My guess is it ties back to losing weight (the body under stress) plus going so long on fewer calories.
 
hoobz said:

Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Tirz gives me the same reaction.

Every morning, before breakfast, I start the day with yerba mate. That's been my routine for years. The mateine in yerba is chemically identical to caffeine, only the name is different.

It's been 8 weeks on Tirz for me, and roughly 3-4 weeks ago I began noticing anxiety after my morning yerba. When that feeling shows up, I take it as a sign my dose has gone too high.

I've reduced my intake by 1/3, yet some days it still hits me harder than I'd like. My guess is it ties back to losing weight (the body under stress) plus going so long on fewer calories.
I'm in the same boat. My daily amount has gone down from 600 mg to only 2 cups of coffee, and the jittery overstimulated sensation hasn't come back. On top of that, I'm curious whether coffee alone produces a different result than energy drinks. 🤔
 
Bigdog0628 said:

hoobz said:

Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Tirz gives me the same reaction.

Every morning, before breakfast, I start the day with yerba mate. That's been my routine for years. The mateine in yerba is chemically identical to caffeine, only the name is different.

It's been 8 weeks on Tirz for me, and roughly 3-4 weeks ago I began noticing anxiety after my morning yerba. When that feeling shows up, I take it as a sign my dose has gone too high.

I've reduced my intake by 1/3, yet some days it still hits me harder than I'd like. My guess is it ties back to losing weight (the body under stress) plus going so long on fewer calories.
I'm in the same boat. My daily amount has gone down from 600 mg to only 2 cups of coffee, and the jittery overstimulated sensation hasn't come back. On top of that, I'm curious whether coffee alone produces a different result than energy drinks. 🤔
These days I steer clear of energy drinks, though I'd guess the underlying process is identical.

Yesterday I began taking taurine at 3g/day. The idea is that it soothes the nervous system and lowers anxiety. Today I noticed no such effect, but that's just day 1, so I'll keep watching.
 
Before reta, coffee, energy drinks, and pre workout were something I went through constantly. Once I began reta, though, the desire and the need for any of it disappeared completely. Even when I have just 1 cup now, the effect is far stronger than it used to be, though the Cal deficit explains that part.
 
My one cup of coffee each day doesn't make me jittery. That said, I've cut way back on caffeine, just like other people in this thread. At my peak I was taking in no less than 500mg daily, from coffee, tea, energy drinks, pepsi, and caffeine pills. These days it's just a single cup of coffee, and since it's a pretty strong brew, I figure that's roughly 200-250mg per day. Just from skipping caffeinated drinks, I'm likely saving hundreds of dollars every month.
 
mybodyisasewer said:

Bigdog0628 said:

For years, my daily caffeine intake has stayed consistent. Each morning I have a few cups of coffee, and later in the day I get caffeine from another drink. But over the past few days since beginning Reta, once I have that afternoon caffeine, I end up feeling way too stimulated, and it's not a pleasant sensation. Has anyone else run into this?
Honestly, I'd love to be dealing with that instead. When I lift, reta tends to leave me running low on energy. It's possible my body has gotten somewhat used to it by now, but I've still had to become really strict about consuming carbs and preworkout prior to hitting the gym. My guess is that because of the glucagon agonism, my stored glucose stays so depleted that there's less energy ready to use. To feel like myself, I've needed to hold my dose below 6mg/wk. Even after more than a year on reta, going higher than that still isn't possible for me.
At 6mg, are you still losing weight?
 
Back
Top