Restocking pen needles — which brand do you prefer? Any experience with BD Nano Ultrafine?

desinr-gal

Explorer
Joined
Jul 22, 2025
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
Location
Honolulu
I gave the BD insulin syringes a shot and they hurt! After switching to pens, I've gone through several brands, and recently the quality feels hit or miss. Certain ones go in with no discomfort, while others burn.

So I'm curious: in your experience, which needles perform the best? Also, would it be worth testing out the BD Nano Ultrafine? Anyone here used those? Thanks for any input you can share. TIA
 
Another vote for Easy Touch here. There is zero sensation. The 5mm size is what I use, and I figured the praise was overblown...then my supply ran dry and I switched to a cheaper/different option. Painful! My source is the diabetic warehouse.
 
TheEngineer said:

Easy Touch!
Appreciate it!

Right now I'm on Comfort EZ, 32G, in both 4 and 8mm. With the boxes I've got, roughly 20% of them give a sting — anyone else notice that?
 
I don't have a brand recommendation, but switching to 4 mm made a HUGE difference for me after using 8 mm! One thing though: you need to insert it straight in, not at an angle.
 
cloratheshadow said:

I don't have a brand recommendation, but switching to 4 mm made a HUGE difference for me after using 8 mm! One thing though: you need to insert it straight in, not at an angle.
I keep both sizes on hand: 4mm for the majority of my needs, while 8mm gets used for KLOW.
 
For plain peps, I lean toward 34g pen needles that are on the smaller side. They cause less trauma to the skin at the top of the cartridge.
 
Sid the SeaGull said:

For plain peps, I lean toward 34g pen needles that are on the smaller side. They cause less trauma to the skin at the top of the cartridge.
Yeah, availability for those seems spotty in my experience.
 
Picked up a sampler pack via Underground supply, and the EasyDrip 32g 6mm along with BD (Embecta) Microfine 31g 5mm really worked for me. After that I bought a full box of both. Then I gave Glucocare needles from amazon a shot — never again. Now I've got 98 of them just sitting there and no idea what to do with them!
 
GTS97 said:

Setting aside what you pay for the pen itself, does this end up costing less than using insulin syringes?
Calling it cheaper wouldn't be accurate. The real benefit is ease when you're injecting something every day. For BPC-157 and TB-500 I reach for pens, and because of that my morning shots are done in about 1-2 minutes at most.
 
Interesting. For my own injections I go with BD 31g/8mm, and I hardly notice them going in. Easy Touch is another one I keep on hand.
 
It's amusing how people's stories differ from what I've gone through. My glucocare plus 4mm 32g causes zero sensation. Yet with my easy touch 8mm 31g and 6mm 22g, roughly 50% of them sting or cause discomfort.
 
In my opinion, the needles for easy touch syringes are top-notch, but the pen needles from easy touch are terrible.

When it comes to pen needles, Advocate and ComfortEZ are the ones I always pick.
 
Back
Top