Red spot at injection site after pinning

Quatroskin

Explorer
Joined
Feb 28, 2026
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego California USA
Just did my week 6 Reta pin yesterday, and today I see a red mark at the spot where the needle went in. During the 5 weeks before this, I never had any marks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it farewell cruel world?
 
BNLFL said:

Have you sorted out your will and planned your funeral?
That's likely just ringworm caused by endotoxins... just kidding @Quatroskin, it should resolve within a day or so. As long as there's no pain and it isn't growing, you're probably fine. If an abscess forms, you'll notice it—unless it's a sterile abscess. In that case, you'd have a lump about the size of a quarter that disappears after 2 or 3 weeks.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

BNLFL said:

Have you sorted out your will and planned your funeral?
That's likely just ringworm caused by endotoxins... just kidding @Quatroskin, it should resolve within a day or so. As long as there's no pain and it isn't growing, you're probably fine. If an abscess forms, you'll notice it—unless it's a sterile abscess. In that case, you'd have a lump about the size of a quarter that disappears after 2 or 3 weeks.
Nope, there's zero pain, and it doesn't look like a bump either. Only redness.
 
Quatroskin said:

Just did my week 6 Reta pin yesterday, and today I see a red mark at the spot where the needle went in. During the 5 weeks before this, I never had any marks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it farewell cruel world?
No need to worry — that seems like a typical reaction. It's possible that shaving the area played a part. If you haven't been doing it, use an alcohol swab to clean the spot before you inject. I believe I skipped that step one time and ended up with a mark at the injection site. From what I know, hospitals and medical workers always use an alcohol swab before giving a needle.
 
Sid the SeaGull said:

Quatroskin said:

Just did my week 6 Reta pin yesterday, and today I see a red mark at the spot where the needle went in. During the 5 weeks before this, I never had any marks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it farewell cruel world?
No need to worry — that seems like a typical reaction. It's possible that shaving the area played a part. If you haven't been doing it, use an alcohol swab to clean the spot before you inject. I believe I skipped that step one time and ended up with a mark at the injection site. From what I know, hospitals and medical workers always use an alcohol swab before giving a needle.

Thanks, that makes sense. I did trim the area right before, too. Appreciate the help.
 
Roughly every 3rd or 4th time I pin, a red mark shows up. I treat that mark as a landmark, so I can shift my next shot in a different direction.🤓
 
Quatroskin said:

Just did my week 6 Reta pin yesterday, and today I see a red mark at the spot where the needle went in. During the 5 weeks before this, I never had any marks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it farewell cruel world?
Did you apply aftershave prior to shaving, then inject? Or did you shave, put on aftershave, and then use the pin? You might consider reaching out to telahealth—alright, that was a joke. I get red dots occasionally too.
 
I’ve noticed that if I let the liquid reach room temperature prior to injecting, my redness is reduced. Are you pinning while it’s still cold?
 
There are plenty of discussions about injection site reactions, also known as ISR's, right here on the forum.

It happens very often.
 
Quatroskin said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

Quatroskin said:

Just did my week 6 Reta pin yesterday, and today I see a red mark at the spot where the needle went in. During the 5 weeks before this, I never had any marks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it farewell cruel world?
No need to worry — that seems like a typical reaction. It's possible that shaving the area played a part. If you haven't been doing it, use an alcohol swab to clean the spot before you inject. I believe I skipped that step one time and ended up with a mark at the injection site. From what I know, hospitals and medical workers always use an alcohol swab before giving a needle.

Thanks, that makes sense. I did trim the area right before, too. Appreciate the help.
One more tip: 34g pen needles have worked way better for me. They cause basically no pain, and because the gauge is so fine, there's less trauma to the skin. Could be worth a try
 
Yep

TheTurtle said:

I’ve noticed that if I let the liquid reach room temperature prior to injecting, my redness is reduced. Are you pinning while it’s still cold?
I do pull it right out of the fridge. Next time I'll follow your suggestion and give that a shot.
 
TheTurtle said:

I’ve noticed that if I let the liquid reach room temperature prior to injecting, my redness is reduced. Are you pinning while it’s still cold?
I've seen that mentioned before, though I never gave it a shot. As for me, nothing like that has happened. Fingers crossed.
 
Quatroskin said:

Yep

TheTurtle said:

I’ve noticed that if I let the liquid reach room temperature prior to injecting, my redness is reduced. Are you pinning while it’s still cold?
I do pull it right out of the fridge. Next time I'll follow your suggestion and give that a shot.
Please update me on the outcome 🙂
 
anhydrous said:

Every now and then this occurs; my previous 2 also resulted in some bruising.
For the first 5 injections, I saw nothing at all. On the 6th shot, this red mark showed up and was itchy. It remains, though the color has faded a lot, as if it's nearly gone. I injected again today and haven't seen any marks so far. Based on your experience, how long does it take to clear up?
 
Back
Top