Quitting Reta.. emotional problems?

dandam

Explorer
Joined
Dec 26, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Rome
I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
 
dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Are you saying 8mg each day, which would be 56mg weekly?
 
dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
I'm assuming you're talking about 8mg weekly. On the topic of what you asked, anhedonia is something Reta may bring on. Whether Tirzepatide does the same, I can't say, but once I'd been on Reta for 8 weeks I noticed I was feeling flat, had no sex drive, and simply didn't care about much of anything. I took a month off and things improved. A number of people have also mentioned that dropping weight quickly plus eating far fewer calories and not getting sufficient electrolytes might trigger these problems too.
 
Derbyshire said:

dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Are you saying 8mg each day, which would be 56mg weekly?
Oh boy... 😅
 
dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Next week you ought to step it down gradually — 6mg, then 4mg the following week, and so on

It takes 34 days for Reta to leave your system entirely

once the reta has cleared, hunger returns with a vengeance, so be prepared
 
To be clear,

Derbyshire said:

dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Are you saying 8mg each day, which would be 56mg weekly?

8mg per week 😅
 
Derbyshire said:

dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Are you saying 8mg each day, which would be 56mg weekly?
Really hope that isn't the case.

Rezwalker said:

dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Next week you ought to step it down gradually — 6mg, then 4mg the following week, and so on

It takes 34 days for Reta to leave your system entirely

once the reta has cleared, hunger returns with a vengeance, so be prepared
Only 5 lbs left for me, and I'm trying to figure out how to taper to a maintenance dose. Right now I'm at 8mg, and I'm considering stepping down to 4mg. Going completely off Reta isn't something I'd ever do. It's hard to wrap my head around having dropped 50lbs already, and it'll reach 55lbs. There's a bit of stubborn belly fat that I'm hoping will fade gradually with the shots and exercise.
 
dandam said:

I've hit the weight I was aiming for, so I came off Reta. My dose had been high (8 mg per day), and I quit cold turkey. It brought on some emotional problems for me. Is that expected? How much time until it passes? What was your experience?

Edit: i made a mistake. I meant 8mg a week 😅
Once 4 weeks have passed, the amount left in your system drops below 10% of the peak accumulated dose (that works out to roughly 12 mg when taking 8 mg/week). You will get through this.
 
I was taking 8 mg too, and my final dose was in late May, so I’ve gone beyond the two-week point. Like you, I stopped cold turkey. My thinking was to simply let it clear out on its own, given that reta’s half-life is long anyway.

For me, it’s been the complete reverse. I feel great, back to my normal self. I regret not stopping earlier. I’m curious what might be causing your mood issues. Are you feeling down, tired, or fatigued?
 
Some ideas... if hormones are in the normal range, then mood problems plus a drop in sex drive might stem from undereating. Another thing: going off Reta all at once doesn't seem wise to me. A slower taper would be better-- for example, 1 mg weekly, then hold at 1 mg weekly for another 1 or 2 weeks. After that, perhaps step down to .5 mg weekly prior to stopping. That gives you a transition window, and you can bring in non-GLP-1 peptides to help keep weight loss and energy going. In my view, this would help set a fresh baseline for your weight loss.
 
Honestly, folks treat anhedonia as if it's terrible. For me, it's like a good chunk of my usual feelings just aren't there. It's actually been awesome. Things have been pretty tough for me lately and I'm just at the gym, relaxed 🤣 I haven't stopped taking it yet, so I'll update you in a few years. I suppose.
 
ronin365 said:

Some ideas... if hormones are in the normal range, then mood problems plus a drop in sex drive might stem from undereating. Another thing: going off Reta all at once doesn't seem wise to me. A slower taper would be better-- for example, 1 mg weekly, then hold at 1 mg weekly for another 1 or 2 weeks. After that, perhaps step down to .5 mg weekly prior to stopping. That gives you a transition window, and you can bring in non-GLP-1 peptides to help keep weight loss and energy going. In my view, this would help set a fresh baseline for your weight loss.
When I go most of the day without much food, I notice I turn cranky. It's like being hangry, except I don't catch on to it lol
 
Back
Top