Question About Sterilizing Vials When Filtering

DrPEPr said:

greenwave1015 said:

To truly sterilize (not merely disinfect) empty vials and their components, use a pressure cooker. Simply boiling won't cut it—spores can survive that. A pressure cooker running at 15 PSI for a few minutes reaches the necessary temperature to get the job done. Autoclave indicator tape can be used to verify that sterilization conditions were actually met.

If you require the vials to be completely dry, move them into an oven.

When it comes to preventing re-contamination from airborne particles, that's likely tough to achieve at home. You can reduce some (or a lot?) of it by loosely placing aluminum foil over your bottles during cooking and transfer. You can also try to emulate aseptic practices—for example, relocate your finished bottles to a cleaner room (wipe surfaces and tools beforehand with 70% iso), wash your hands, put on a face mask, cover your hair, and so on.

That being said, the chance of infection from a no-name vendor's "sterilized" vials appears quite low, judging by anecdotal reports (I'd defer to others for their opinions). There's an excellent interview online featuring Peter Magic (founder of janoshik) where he basically pokes fun at us for being germophobes (for instance, he says using sterile water for reconstitution is perfectly fine for 28 days—BAC water isn't even used in Europe).

If your time and peace of mind matter to you, just spend a bit more on premium supplies.

Personally, I think sterilizing bottles, crimping the tops, and the whole process is kind of enjoyable!

Not entirely sure why, though..
I've considered buying an autoclave so I could 'recycle' my glassware, but from what I've read, endotoxins aren't eliminated by that process.

To actually depyrogenize vials, it appears a dry-heat oven is required (250°C (482°F)).

I'm not sure I want to spend money on one of those, since the vials I use right now (Biomed Solutions) appear to be fine and inexpensive enough that I can simply throw them away after use.
This might be a silly thing to ask, but could you just use a regular kitchen oven for that?

My oven reaches 500F without any issue. One thing to watch out for: it needs to be electric rather than gas. Dry heat isn't something gas ovens can provide.
 
Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
From what I recall, 170°C won't get you to pyrogen-free — you'd need 250°C at minimum.

There's real craftsmanship to sterilization. I observed the lab technician handle it a few times, though I was never permitted to try it on my own, not even with my own gear. Doing it properly demands the right tools, experience, and a fair amount of practice.
 
Could someone share a link or a forum where filtering is talked about? I don't mind searching on my own, but it's always nice when someone has a particular one in mind. Thanks!
 
I'll send you a link to a helpful video. I'm not sure whether Zippity wants us to post external links.
 
Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
I'm picking up around 60 of these.

I looked them up and found firegene as the maker. I couldn't find anything about their sterilization method.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
I'm picking up around 60 of these.

I looked them up and found firegene as the maker. I couldn't find anything about their sterilization method.
That's kind of you to keep me in mind. I'll send over my address.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
I'm picking up around 60 of these.

I looked them up and found firegene as the maker. I couldn't find anything about their sterilization method.

Another thing worth looking into: whether they're intended for injection use, and in particular whether the stoppers are self-healing. Their site didn't give me much to go on, and from what I can tell they seem designed for a very niche application. I didn't see any mention of them being rated to withstand repeated needle punctures—though I may have overlooked it.
 
on2jinm said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
I'm picking up around 60 of these.

I looked them up and found firegene as the maker. I couldn't find anything about their sterilization method.

Another thing worth looking into: whether they're intended for injection use, and in particular whether the stoppers are self-healing. Their site didn't give me much to go on, and from what I can tell they seem designed for a very niche application. I didn't see any mention of them being rated to withstand repeated needle punctures—though I may have overlooked it.
Yeah, I'm really interested in those as well. With shipping included, I believe it came to roughly 84 dollars, so it won't be a big deal if they turn out unusable. I'm hoping somebody on here can give some input about them.
 
on2jinm said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rawbiotix said:

Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
I'm picking up around 60 of these.

I looked them up and found firegene as the maker. I couldn't find anything about their sterilization method.

Another thing worth looking into: whether they're intended for injection use, and in particular whether the stoppers are self-healing. Their site didn't give me much to go on, and from what I can tell they seem designed for a very niche application. I didn't see any mention of them being rated to withstand repeated needle punctures—though I may have overlooked it.
I discussed this with my AI, and according to her, these are likely mid tier and probably far superior to the k2 options available on Amazon. I regret not going for the pricier ones at this point, but I figure these will do the job for now 🙂 far better than the Amazon k2s.
 
So filtration is the goal. A lurelock syringe is required so a filter can be attached. After drawing the reconstituted dose, replace the filter with a 31g needle and inject. Each additional manipulation raises the risk of contamination. Are people doing all this extra work just to use those pens? I'm no doctor, but just tally up the steps.

I understand Gr33dy's setup puts 750mg into 1 vial. That's a different situation.
 
Sasquatch said:

So filtration is the goal. A lurelock syringe is required so a filter can be attached. After drawing the reconstituted dose, replace the filter with a 31g needle and inject. Each additional manipulation raises the risk of contamination. Are people doing all this extra work just to use those pens? I'm no doctor, but just tally up the steps.

I understand Gr33dy's setup puts 750mg into 1 vial. That's a different situation.
Buying in bulk is how you get the cheapest deal!!!

Kits with 7500mg are absolutely fantastic!!!!!
 
Back
Top