Question About Sterilizing Vials When Filtering

tedvio

Explorer
Joined
Nov 12, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...
 
tedvio said:

For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...
I'm fortunate that a friend's spouse is employed at a compounding pharmacy, which is where my vials and bac come from. Without that connection, my approach would be to purchase an inexpensive autoclave and handle sterilization on my own. Autoclave
 
tedvio said:

For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...

A recent thread addressed the topic of vial sterility quite thoroughly:




Empty sterile vials vials vials



I must admit, I've been using those k2's from amazon—they're inexpensive, transparent, and as uncomplicated as I am. However, I'd prefer to pay a few dollars per vial (2 dollars maximum in bulk). Considering peptidetest, they apparently offer sterile vials for just under 2 dollars apiece. Does anyone have a current preferred supplier?

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
tedvio said:

For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...
That's not a silly thing to ask.

Sterile vials and pen cartridges are both available for purchase online. When it comes to vials, check that the maker states which sterilisation method was used (steam, radiation, and so on) prior to buying. If that information isn't easy to find, I wouldn't put my trust in them. My preference leans toward pen cartridges, since they cost relatively little and the sealed packet includes a sterility indicator.

If you want to sterilise vials yourself, an autoclave or a pressure cooker can probably get the job done, should you feel so inclined. Putting in bac water or alcohol is not a good idea. Bac water only stops new bacteria from growing, not the ones already present in the vial, and with alcohol, if you inject it through the rubber and then draw it back out, you won't manage to remove all of the alcohol from the vial. It would likely interact with your peptide.
 
tedvio said:

For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...
Sterilizing isn't the same thing as washing up.
 
Astor Scientific sells vials that are pyrogen free. You could also look at KS-Tek's website.
 
tedvio said:

For anyone here who does filtering — how do you make sure the fresh vials you're putting things into are genuinely sterile? Does that really mean everyone owns an autoclave? And if that's the case, are you ordering vials, stoppers, caps, and crimpers separately, then sterilizing the vials by themselves before sealing them?

I've noticed some fully assembled vials listed on Amazon Canada, but the reviews include photos of residue or grime inside. That makes me think a lot of people who filter might actually be introducing more contamination, simply because the new vials they trust aren't anywhere near as clean as they assume...

One more question, and it might be a silly one........if I'd rather just keep using the vial the peptide came in, is there a reasonable way to sanitize that vial as part of the filtering routine? Like this: mix with my bac water, pull the whole amount into a syringe and leave it aside. Then take a different syringe and inject fresh bac water (or maybe isopropyl alcohol??) into the now-empty vial, swirl it, let it sit?, pull that liquid back out, and then push my mixed peptide back into that same vial by passing it through the filter.. That feels like it would remove the anxiety about using some unknown vial bought off Amazon...

This same idea has crossed my mind many times! In fact, the act of filtering and moving the liquid could itself be a way for bacteria to get in, leaving you in a worse spot than simply mixing it in the original vial without any filtering.

What matters most, in my view, is sourcing your materials from trusted vendors. Sterile vials do come with COAs, and you can see one in this sample listing:



e2811bc4e3fcfe481c05c32b71cc092df232f6c8599e2d89aaca44e5d4416216.jpg




13mm & 20mm Sterile, Empty, Clear and Amber Glass Vials, Lemon Trading



Keep your compounds pure using 13mm and 20mm sterile, empty clear and amber vials offered by Farris Labs. They work well for allergy practices and compounding pharmacies.

www.farrislabs.com

f96e669ba22fc6f2aab1b4a8a9a1e5b3785421eadd736d331498ec0a8e43daef.webp


Since peptides save us so much money, supplies are the one area where I refuse to cut corners. I spend freely on them, choosing reputable sellers, and every $ is justified.
 
My 2cts:

I've shipped a few aas samples to jano for testing (sterility included) in 'biomed solutions' vials (Amazon too), and every result came back clean. So I'd say they're fine.
 
DrPEPr said:

My 2cts:

I've shipped a few aas samples to jano for testing (sterility included) in 'biomed solutions' vials (Amazon too), and every result came back clean. So I'd say they're fine.
That's reassuring. That same brand is sitting in my supplies at this moment.
 
DrPEPr said:

My 2cts:

I've shipped a few aas samples to jano for testing (sterility included) in 'biomed solutions' vials (Amazon too), and every result came back clean. So I'd say they're fine.
Those came from Amazon, and the reviews are what convinced me (possibly one of yours?). I realize that's not exactly a reliable way to confirm sterility, but once Jano came up, I assumed the person understood their peps, so I went ahead and bought them.
 
To truly sterilize (not merely disinfect) empty vials and their components, use a pressure cooker. Simply boiling won't cut it—spores can survive that. A pressure cooker running at 15 PSI for a few minutes reaches the necessary temperature to get the job done. Autoclave indicator tape can be used to verify that sterilization conditions were actually met.

If you require the vials to be completely dry, move them into an oven.

When it comes to preventing re-contamination from airborne particles, that's likely tough to achieve at home. You can reduce some (or a lot?) of it by loosely placing aluminum foil over your bottles during cooking and transfer. You can also try to emulate aseptic practices—for example, relocate your finished bottles to a cleaner room (wipe surfaces and tools beforehand with 70% iso), wash your hands, put on a face mask, cover your hair, and so on.

That being said, the chance of infection from a no-name vendor's "sterilized" vials appears quite low, judging by anecdotal reports (I'd defer to others for their opinions). There's an excellent interview online featuring Peter Magic (founder of janoshik) where he basically pokes fun at us for being germophobes (for instance, he says using sterile water for reconstitution is perfectly fine for 28 days—BAC water isn't even used in Europe).

If your time and peace of mind matter to you, just spend a bit more on premium supplies.

Personally, I think sterilizing bottles, crimping the tops, and the whole process is kind of enjoyable!

Not entirely sure why, though..
 
laansasa said:

DrPEPr said:

My 2cts:

I've shipped a few aas samples to jano for testing (sterility included) in 'biomed solutions' vials (Amazon too), and every result came back clean. So I'd say they're fine.
Those came from Amazon, and the reviews are what convinced me (possibly one of yours?). I realize that's not exactly a reliable way to confirm sterility, but once Jano came up, I assumed the person understood their peps, so I went ahead and bought them.
Yes, that matches what I found.

I left out the AAS detail on purpose 😉

Let me clarify something. The vials I sent to Jano weren't empty ones I was having tested on their own.

They held the samples that needed analysis.

My reasoning was that since sterility and endotoxin results came back negative — 3 separate samples so far — the vials themselves should be fine as well.
 
greenwave1015 said:

To truly sterilize (not merely disinfect) empty vials and their components, use a pressure cooker. Simply boiling won't cut it—spores can survive that. A pressure cooker running at 15 PSI for a few minutes reaches the necessary temperature to get the job done. Autoclave indicator tape can be used to verify that sterilization conditions were actually met.

If you require the vials to be completely dry, move them into an oven.

When it comes to preventing re-contamination from airborne particles, that's likely tough to achieve at home. You can reduce some (or a lot?) of it by loosely placing aluminum foil over your bottles during cooking and transfer. You can also try to emulate aseptic practices—for example, relocate your finished bottles to a cleaner room (wipe surfaces and tools beforehand with 70% iso), wash your hands, put on a face mask, cover your hair, and so on.

That being said, the chance of infection from a no-name vendor's "sterilized" vials appears quite low, judging by anecdotal reports (I'd defer to others for their opinions). There's an excellent interview online featuring Peter Magic (founder of janoshik) where he basically pokes fun at us for being germophobes (for instance, he says using sterile water for reconstitution is perfectly fine for 28 days—BAC water isn't even used in Europe).

If your time and peace of mind matter to you, just spend a bit more on premium supplies.

Personally, I think sterilizing bottles, crimping the tops, and the whole process is kind of enjoyable!

Not entirely sure why, though..
I've considered buying an autoclave so I could 'recycle' my glassware, but from what I've read, endotoxins aren't eliminated by that process.

To actually depyrogenize vials, it appears a dry-heat oven is required (250°C (482°F)).

I'm not sure I want to spend money on one of those, since the vials I use right now (Biomed Solutions) appear to be fine and inexpensive enough that I can simply throw them away after use.
 
ALK vials that are sterile and depyrogenated. KS-Tek is what I've used before. Never had a problem. This time I'm giving the ALK ones a shot. Both 3ml and 10ml sizes.

If something works with a 5ml, it will also work with a 10ml.
 
DrPEPr said:

laansasa said:

DrPEPr said:

My 2cts:

I've shipped a few aas samples to jano for testing (sterility included) in 'biomed solutions' vials (Amazon too), and every result came back clean. So I'd say they're fine.
Those came from Amazon, and the reviews are what convinced me (possibly one of yours?). I realize that's not exactly a reliable way to confirm sterility, but once Jano came up, I assumed the person understood their peps, so I went ahead and bought them.
Yes, that matches what I found.

I left out the AAS detail on purpose 😉

Let me clarify something. The vials I sent to Jano weren't empty ones I was having tested on their own.

They held the samples that needed analysis.

My reasoning was that since sterility and endotoxin results came back negative — 3 separate samples so far — the vials themselves should be fine as well.
That clears things up completely. I appreciate you running that test and posting the findings!🙏 That review on amazon is what tipped the scales for me.🙌
 
Tedvio, that Australian commenter got the bac water and alcohol points right, and those are exactly where most folks slip up. Once a vial already contains something, bacteriostatic water won't eliminate it, it only stops anything new from growing. The alcohol swirl method you mentioned runs into the same wall. For alcohol to truly sterilize, it has to cover every surface and stay in contact long enough, and swirling it inside a closed vial guarantees neither.

If sterility is the goal while filtering, the simplest route is to buy vials that the manufacturer already sterilized, with the method documented. That means steam autoclave, gamma irradiation, or dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes. The listing ought to state which one. When it doesn't, assume the vial isn't sterile.

Pen cartridges from trusted vendors arrive sealed and sterile, and there's typically a sterility indicator on the packaging. If stoppers and crimpers aren't something you want to bother with, that's a good way to go.

Should you insist on doing your own sterilization, a pressure cooker is an option, but temperature and time have to be managed carefully. An oven using dry heat at 170C for 60 minutes is also fine for glass vials, though stoppers must stay out of it, since they require either irradiation or a steam autoclave.

Worth remembering, it's the .22 micron filter that does the actual sterilizing of your solution. The vial only has to be sterile at the moment the filtered liquid enters it. So really, sterility here is a matter of the vial and the stopper, not the peptide.
 
Back
Top