randompersonrandom
Explorer
I know plenty of people—friends and casual acquaintances alike—who are out here wearing baggy, balloon-like, oversized garments. Bras that can't keep their chest in place without slipping off, undies that slide down, trousers so loose they're practically swimming in them. These folks have dropped multiple sizes, and they openly complain about how silly they look in their tent-like outfits, yet they say, "I don't wanna spend money on new clothes when I'm not at my goal yet." A few of them are quite wealthy, and honestly it feels like they're making themselves suffer for having been heavy before, denying themselves properly fitting clothes until they've finished, and that's messed up.
If you're wearing ill-fitting clothes because buying in-between sizes isn't something you can afford, then this post is NOT for you. Money's tight and the economy sucks, and I hope you reach your destination soon and feel all the happiness in the world when the time comes to refresh your closet. And if you honestly don't give a damn about what you wear, and it simply doesn't play into your happiness, then you do you and I wish you nothing but the best—I'm not saying it should matter IF it doesn't.
But if buying clothes for this in-between phase IS something you can afford, and wearing them WOULD bring you joy, and the only thing holding you back is a little voice in your head saying it's dumb to buy clothes that fit now but won't in a month or so, then you don't have to believe you're undeserving of well-fitting clothes until you hit your goal. The happiness you'd feel looking good in a nice, properly fitting outfit today is worthwhile. The comfort of bras and underwear that aren't droopy isn't something you have to "earn" by finishing your weight loss.
I bought transitional clothing the whole way down (mostly secondhand; threadup, Poshmark, thrift stores and Goodwill's, etc). Started at size fourteen jeans and dresses, currently wearing fours. Bought 12's, 10's, 8's, 6's, and did not give a damn that I'd have to donate them back before long. It's meant I've gotten to walk around looking and feeling more and more fabulous all the time since last June, which is a hell of a lot better of a deal than walking around with all my progress hidden in tents, feeling bummed and dreaming of the day I could "unveil" it. That would have been a waste of time that I could have spent feeling happy.
If you're wearing ill-fitting clothes because buying in-between sizes isn't something you can afford, then this post is NOT for you. Money's tight and the economy sucks, and I hope you reach your destination soon and feel all the happiness in the world when the time comes to refresh your closet. And if you honestly don't give a damn about what you wear, and it simply doesn't play into your happiness, then you do you and I wish you nothing but the best—I'm not saying it should matter IF it doesn't.
But if buying clothes for this in-between phase IS something you can afford, and wearing them WOULD bring you joy, and the only thing holding you back is a little voice in your head saying it's dumb to buy clothes that fit now but won't in a month or so, then you don't have to believe you're undeserving of well-fitting clothes until you hit your goal. The happiness you'd feel looking good in a nice, properly fitting outfit today is worthwhile. The comfort of bras and underwear that aren't droopy isn't something you have to "earn" by finishing your weight loss.
I bought transitional clothing the whole way down (mostly secondhand; threadup, Poshmark, thrift stores and Goodwill's, etc). Started at size fourteen jeans and dresses, currently wearing fours. Bought 12's, 10's, 8's, 6's, and did not give a damn that I'd have to donate them back before long. It's meant I've gotten to walk around looking and feeling more and more fabulous all the time since last June, which is a hell of a lot better of a deal than walking around with all my progress hidden in tents, feeling bummed and dreaming of the day I could "unveil" it. That would have been a waste of time that I could have spent feeling happy.