Pro Tip: Bacteriostatic Water

JonSpartan

Explorer
Joined
Jun 7, 2026
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
NEW YORK
Hey everyone 👋

A trick for obtaining Bacteriostatic Water ("bac water") at no cost is worth passing along.

All it takes is a prescription from your doctor. This works if:

  1. Your relationship with your doctor is comfortable
  2. You have insurance
  3. Somewhat related: When you talk to your doctor, make sure to request refills.
That's all there is to it.

At Walgreens, with insurance, my total comes to $0. Should your insurance be "mid", the cost ought to stay under $5. Plus, it comes directly from the pharmacy. The refills* make life easier.

No insurance? Free programs like GoodRX bring the price to roughly ~$13. Once more, it comes directly from the pharmacy, and far cheaper.

Questions about bac water come up constantly, yet "get a script" rarely gets mentioned. My doctor and I are on good terms; they know about my peptide protocol and I keep them in the loop, though nothing is formal -- "peptides" never appears in emails, etc. It's something discussed face to face.

Hope this helps! cheers 🥂
 
Huh... that's honestly not a bad suggestion. When I explain my reasoning for wanting non-addictive medications, my doctor has generally been pretty relaxed about it. I could likely frame it as harm reduction...
 
kugelblitz said:

Huh... that's honestly not a bad suggestion. When I explain my reasoning for wanting non-addictive medications, my doctor has generally been pretty relaxed about it. I could likely frame it as harm reduction...
This is a fantastic concept, and since I'm new here, I kindly ask for Likes.

Pretty please? 🙏
 
smokeless7424 said:

How did you convince your doctor to prescribe it?
Both of my doctors know that I train hard and that I'm an "athlete." The one who treats NFL players was actually the person who casually mentioned peptides to me, which is how I ended up going down the peptide rabbit hole.

TLDR: Since both of them know how hard I train and are aware of the f*ckery with FDA, etc, I just told them directly: I'm using peptides to speed up healing for my surgically repaired shoulder and my broken foot. Here's what I'm taking. Here's the dose, schedule, etc.

"Will you please write me a script because the prices online from a legit website are a scam."

That's all there is to it.

Edit: I have doctor friends, and trust me when I say this: They appreciate it A LOT when you're straight up with them instead of beating around the bush. Be direct, clear and state what you want and why.
 
smokeless7424 said:

How did you convince your doctor to prescribe it?
I simply presented the reasons I wanted the medication. I showed him a clinical study supporting the drug, and explained why I felt the usual first-line treatment for that purpose doesn't suit me. I added that if he judged it unwise, I would go along with his recommendation in the end. His response was: "You seem well informed, and I agree with you, so here you go". Worth mentioning: I wasn't requesting anything with a high abuse potential.

There was also wrist pain that went undiagnosed for some time. After doing more research, I told him I believed it was tenosynovitis (tendon inflammation), and once again he heard me out, concurred with my reasoning, and provided the specialist referral I wanted.

I also mentioned to him that I planned to take magic mushrooms (to address depression, not recreationally). He reviewed my medical and family history with me and said: "I won't tell you to do it because I legally can't, but I also won't tell you not to do it." In my area there's a strong edible mushroom foraging culture, and when I told him my sole real worry is my supplier gathering the wrong mushroom, he replied with a laugh: "That won't happen, we know mushrooms."

Anyway, he's a relaxed guy, I doubt he'd make a big deal out of it.
 
From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
 
If I requested that, I think I'd get a kick out of seeing my doctor completely lose it. Take it easy, buddy, everything's fine.
 
RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
Are you asking about getting it over the counter or with a prescription? When you've got a prescription in hand, you'll be able to obtain it. At worst, you'll need to try a different pharmacy or arrange for it to be shipped to you.

spanky2026 said:

If I requested that, I think I'd get a kick out of seeing my doctor completely lose it. Take it easy, buddy, everything's fine.
A.D.A.B.

All Doctors Are Bastards

The ones who aren't just end up shielding the remaining 80%
 
RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
Same here. I checked with both chain and independent pharmacies, in NYC as well as PHX.

On top of that, physicians face heavy scrutiny—particularly where insurance is part of the picture—and writing a script for supplies while not writing (and dispensing!) the drug they accompany stands out as a warning sign in audits that are processed electronically.

OP, was Walgreens the one that gave you bac? How many vials per instance?
 
RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
 
indolent said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
Same here. I checked with both chain and independent pharmacies, in NYC as well as PHX.

On top of that, physicians face heavy scrutiny—particularly where insurance is part of the picture—and writing a script for supplies while not writing (and dispensing!) the drug they accompany stands out as a warning sign in audits that are processed electronically.

OP, was Walgreens the one that gave you bac? How many vials per instance?
I was told straight out that only 1 can be filled at a time.
 
JonSpartan said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
I don't know whether the brand has come up in your posts so far.
 
tcpnomad said:

JonSpartan said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
I don't know whether the brand has come up in your posts so far.
Once I grab it after my shift, I'll report back — the pickup notification just came through.

That said, why does it even matter: pharmacy grade or online?

Pharmacy + $0 is my choice every time.
 
JonSpartan said:

tcpnomad said:

JonSpartan said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
I don't know whether the brand has come up in your posts so far.
Once I grab it after my shift, I'll report back — the pickup notification just came through.

That said, why does it even matter: pharmacy grade or online?

Pharmacy + $0 is my choice every time.
Appreciate it.

JonSpartan said:

tcpnomad said:

JonSpartan said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
I don't know whether the brand has come up in your posts so far.
Once I grab it after my shift, I'll report back — the pickup notification just came through.

That said, why does it even matter: pharmacy grade or online?

Pharmacy + $0 is my choice every time.
Oh, folks in this community definitely pay close attention 😉. From what I can tell, Hospira is the only bac water that reliably clears testing.

JonSpartan said:

tcpnomad said:

JonSpartan said:

RetCurious said:

From what I've gathered about getting it through a US pharmacy, they don't appear to stock it and have no desire to start. If you come across one that does, let us know.
I said Walgreens is where I picked mine up, though your point stands: I'm based in Manhattan, and the reason I bring that up is that it suggests my neighborhood Walgreens probably stocks a broad range of medications, since so many people live nearby.

Getting it took 3 days because it wasn't on the shelf; for all practical purposes they had to place an order for me. So day 1 stock isn't guaranteed, but they will definitely order it, since your money matters to them far more than your health does.

Walgreens locations are all over the place.

Beyond that, independent local pharmacies are another excellent option, maybe even better than Walgreens. What I love about local pharmacies is that a person answers when you call. They recognize you. Their customers matter more to them.

I'm not claiming Walgreens EMPLOYEES don't care about customers; I'm sure they're decent people. But considering how much work gets piled on them ... they're far too slammed to give AF.
I don't know whether the brand has come up in your posts so far.
Once I grab it after my shift, I'll report back — the pickup notification just came through.

That said, why does it even matter: pharmacy grade or online?

Pharmacy + $0 is my choice every time.
That tracks.
 
JonSpartan said:

kugelblitz said:

Huh... that's honestly not a bad suggestion. When I explain my reasoning for wanting non-addictive medications, my doctor has generally been pretty relaxed about it. I could likely frame it as harm reduction...
This is a fantastic concept, and since I'm new here, I kindly ask for Likes.

Pretty please? 🙏
..... simply due to the fact that 'please' was used......
 
PurpleSage said:

JonSpartan said:

kugelblitz said:

Huh... that's honestly not a bad suggestion. When I explain my reasoning for wanting non-addictive medications, my doctor has generally been pretty relaxed about it. I could likely frame it as harm reduction...
This is a fantastic concept, and since I'm new here, I kindly ask for Likes.

Pretty please? 🙏
..... simply due to the fact that 'please' was used......
Wow — was that post taken down? I'd guess he caught a warning as well. Harsh audience.
 
What reason would there be for it to be removed?

Does an actual physician count as a [[Q1]]?

This advice is useful* to the community.
 
tcpnomad said:

PurpleSage said:

JonSpartan said:

kugelblitz said:

Huh... that's honestly not a bad suggestion. When I explain my reasoning for wanting non-addictive medications, my doctor has generally been pretty relaxed about it. I could likely frame it as harm reduction...
This is a fantastic concept, and since I'm new here, I kindly ask for Likes.

Pretty please? 🙏
..... simply due to the fact that 'please' was used......
Wow — was that post taken down? I'd guess he caught a warning as well. Harsh audience.
That was the 4th post.
 
JonSpartan said:

What reason would there be for it to be removed?

Does an actual physician count as a [[Q1]]?

This advice is useful* to the community.
I'm not talking about you. I mean that other person who was asking for likes.

EDIT: Wait, that was you! Your post asking for likes has been removed. Somebody snitched on you 😉.
 
Back
Top