Please help me get over my pen stress

HistLady

Explorer
Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
 
HistLady said:

I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
Plenty of discussions about pens already exist, so check those out.
 
For the most part, it comes down to some added convenience.

  1. There's no need to draw up a syringe each time. What you do instead is put a needle on, set the units, and inject.
  2. Filling the cartridge is something you do once per vial. That said, if you're already filtering, you're doing that step regardless. The difference is that you dispense into the cartridge rather than into a sterile vial.
  3. One could make the case that a pen is simpler to travel with. You simply have less to bring along.
That said, if you're already completely used to injecting from a vial, the benefit might not be all that big. As for me, I'm enjoying it. So far, anyway.

I'd be glad to hear what others think.
 
tcpnomad said:

For the most part, it comes down to some added convenience.

  1. There's no need to draw up a syringe each time. What you do instead is put a needle on, set the units, and inject.
  2. Filling the cartridge is something you do once per vial. That said, if you're already filtering, you're doing that step regardless. The difference is that you dispense into the cartridge rather than into a sterile vial.
  3. One could make the case that a pen is simpler to travel with. You simply have less to bring along.
That said, if you're already completely used to injecting from a vial, the benefit might not be all that big. As for me, I'm enjoying it. So far, anyway.

I'd be glad to hear what others think.
I used to think pens were pointless, but after giving one a shot, I changed my mind. What I appreciate most comes down to 3 points: it's a single item instead of 2 separate things to juggle, no air shows up whether it's day 1 or week 6, and pulling my dose doesn't get harder as I near the end—unlike with a vial, where the needle has to be positioned higher and higher away from the stopper so you draw liquid rather than air.
 
The 'standard' approach doesn't bother me, but what I really value is being able to toss a pen in my bag when I head to my cottage, instead of hauling around a full pharmacy. On top of that, I'm a total geek who gets a kick out of all the add-ons and little devices 😂 A buddy of mine uses a whole range of different peps, and he told me he prefers having a separate pen for each one.

At the start, I also chose to avoid them since it all seemed too fiddly, so I get where you're coming from. What worked for me was watching a few YouTube videos, and you'll quickly realize it's actually pretty straightforward. After checking out several clips, I went ahead and bought a bunch of different pens, after getting some recommendations from friends on which ones to get. Sadly, I can't share any links here since I'm still a newbie.
 
At first I was firmly on the side of auto-pens, yet it turned out that with a fine needle they move slowly and require some hand assistance.

So I've switched back to manual pens, the kind where I provide the 'push' myself.

What settled the pen question for me was the new needle each time, one that has never once been pushed through a rubber stopper.
 
1: Needle is smaller (4mm @33G)

2: Every time it’s ready to go - You don’t have to pick up a vial and syringe to draw from it.

3: (Huge for me) Pens give you sharper needles. Take this example - using a vial and syringe, you first draw from the vial (that’s 1 dulling moment), then you have to inject (that’s the 2nd dulling) OR if your pep stings, you dilute it by adding more bac water (that’s the 3rd dulling). So when you finally do inject… the pain is much worse…. And since my wife already hates needles, having a fresh sharp needle on a pen is a life saver.

4: You’re able to filter the pep before it goes into the 3ml pen vial.

5: Suppose a vial needs a lot of bac water but the vial itself isn’t big enough. With a pen, you can just use however many 3ml pen vials are required and keep them in the fridge.

6: Travel (if needed) You don’t automatically look like an addict 🤣

7: Cool factor 😁🤣
 
HistLady said:

I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
For subcutaneous injections, this is the best option available.
 
Everyone here makes a good point, and I'm on board with all of it!

Still, here's what works for me:

Right now I go with pen needles that are both longer and thicker — 8mm and 31g. From what I've run into, that lowers the odds of an ISR and takes some of the bite out of the harsher compounds. When it comes to Reta and Tirz, I grab 5 to 6mm, depending on which box is closest to my hand.

A wider gauge means the liquid moves more easily and pressure doesn't build up as much. I'd bet a physics rule or 2 covers that, but Belgium is seriously hot right now, so I can't be bothered to go find them 😎

Below are the pens I'm currently using, listed from favorite to least favorite, with the Gansulin sitting at my n°1 spot.

I own 2 YIFAN and 2 Gansulin, and chances are those are the only ones I'll pick up again when I restock.





b90eea20c37df0707cd8fefc50ca93c83858691aec4de5d43a944e64e8ab80e6.webp
 

Attachments

  • 3946754c5c65fdfa294fee5f7d8bbabd64a5ccaeab98f57003dcbcd1e83131c1.webp
    3946754c5c65fdfa294fee5f7d8bbabd64a5ccaeab98f57003dcbcd1e83131c1.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 3
Pens struck me as something for folks who can't face a regular syringe — I've changed my mind completely. For a peptide you pin daily, the speed and convenience simply win. And even with something you don't pin daily: loading 3, 10mg vials into 1 cartridge cuts the number of reconstitution sessions per month right down (more of them at 1 time, sure).
 
HistLady said:

I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
This is the kind of thing where, after you've done it, you'll ask yourself why it ever felt so scary. Pick up a V1/V2 pen as a trial, and if you stick with pens, then upgrade to a better one. For me, the auto Gansulin is the best: it's precise, runs without hiccups, and feels gentler than my auto Bird. With manual pens you get to decide the speed at which the fluids go in, which is a big plus. I'd wager that after giving it a go, you won't want to go back.
 
Pens are the only method I've ever tried, since the idea of needles and manually pressing a plunger really put me off. I'm another Gansulin user and I'm quite happy with it. When you're injecting several peps daily, it's incredibly convenient. The tips I've got are so thin that the injections are completely painless! The only real drawback I've found with pens is that near the end of a cartridge, a little liquid goes to waste—I've seen roughly 5-7 units lost because the pen just couldn't push it out.
 
HistLady said:

I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
In my opinion, injection pens are somewhat pointless. I've used them before. Simply inject with a regular needle — they're so thin that there's no pain whatsoever.
 
I switched from syringes over to pens, and there’s no way I’m returning to syringes. Just check out 1 or 2 videos showing how to load and prime the cartridges — it’s incredibly simple. When you stack, you avoid having to pull multiple syringes every day or every week. All of that 3ml sits inside the pens. Pen needles occupy far less room in the sharps bin. Another huge benefit in my case: the needle stays extremely sharp and causes no pain, since you aren’t piercing your rubber vial first and blunting it before it goes into you. Did I mention that going back to syringes is not something I want?
 
pharaoh said:

HistLady said:

I've noticed quite a few folks are big fans of injection pens. To me, it all looks incredibly complex, though I guess I could figure it out. Do they actually offer any genuine benefits?
In my opinion, injection pens are somewhat pointless. I've used them before. Simply inject with a regular needle — they're so thin that there's no pain whatsoever.
It isn't about how much pain you can handle. Using 27g syringes for injections is totally fine for me, and I'm confident that even 23g wouldn't cause me any trouble. There are plenty of other advantages to pens that have been discussed in various threads here. Ultimately, it's about what you prefer. Do what works for you...
 
Back
Top