BioDad
Explorer
I've been using retatrutide for 4 months now. My starting dose was 1mg/week, and I've worked my way up to 10mg/week over the last month. During the first couple of months, I dropped a good amount of weight, but I've also been hitting the weights hard to try to regain some muscle I had 20 years ago, so there's been some recomposition happening—though I can't say exactly how much I've gained or lost. That part isn't really the point.
What I have noticed, particularly over the past few weeks even at a higher dose, is a pretty strong hunger. Like, genuinely hungry. Ready to eat at every meal. I've seen people say a GLP-1 agonist "stopped working," which I interpret as either 1) weight loss has stalled (plateau), or 2) hunger is back. I haven't been tracking my weight since the scale isn't my focus, so I decided to address the second one.
Here's what clicked for me. There's homeostatic hunger (stomach emptying, normal hunger signals) and hedonic hunger (food cravings, regardless of whether you're hungry). I think for me, it's the first type, not the second.
As far as I understand, GLP-1 agonists don't truly "stop working"—there's no receptor downregulation or desensitization, or autoantibody formation significant enough to effectively reduce your dose or increase your medication needs. What does seem to occur is tachyphylaxis of gastric emptying delay, meaning the body adapts and re-regulates vagal and enteric nerves to the new hormonal signaling 'norm,' allowing faster gastric emptying than before when the medication was started or doses were increased. A stomach that empties faster will signal hunger to some degree.
This nervous system adaptation reminds me of how you first notice a strong smell, but then quickly get used to it—it becomes the new 'normal' for your olfactory system, and you stop smelling it even though the odor is still there. This happens throughout much of the nervous system.
Other possible reasons could be less fat leading to lower leptin and more hunger, more muscle raising metabolic rate and causing hunger, or increased activity (exercise) driving hunger.
But here's the key difference: even though I'm really hungry lately, I have zero interest in candy bars at the checkout, finishing a pint of ice cream, or even Celsius drinks anymore—all of which used to be issues for me.
Retatrutide is currently more effective for weight loss than anything else available, and I think part of that comes from not keeping you in an unnaturally suppressed state forever. Real, physiologic hunger, especially when it's not tied to cravings or bingeing, might actually mean you're in a healthier place than when the drug made eating feel impossible.
Just my two cents after looking into this. I'd love to hear what others think.
What I have noticed, particularly over the past few weeks even at a higher dose, is a pretty strong hunger. Like, genuinely hungry. Ready to eat at every meal. I've seen people say a GLP-1 agonist "stopped working," which I interpret as either 1) weight loss has stalled (plateau), or 2) hunger is back. I haven't been tracking my weight since the scale isn't my focus, so I decided to address the second one.
Here's what clicked for me. There's homeostatic hunger (stomach emptying, normal hunger signals) and hedonic hunger (food cravings, regardless of whether you're hungry). I think for me, it's the first type, not the second.
As far as I understand, GLP-1 agonists don't truly "stop working"—there's no receptor downregulation or desensitization, or autoantibody formation significant enough to effectively reduce your dose or increase your medication needs. What does seem to occur is tachyphylaxis of gastric emptying delay, meaning the body adapts and re-regulates vagal and enteric nerves to the new hormonal signaling 'norm,' allowing faster gastric emptying than before when the medication was started or doses were increased. A stomach that empties faster will signal hunger to some degree.
This nervous system adaptation reminds me of how you first notice a strong smell, but then quickly get used to it—it becomes the new 'normal' for your olfactory system, and you stop smelling it even though the odor is still there. This happens throughout much of the nervous system.
Other possible reasons could be less fat leading to lower leptin and more hunger, more muscle raising metabolic rate and causing hunger, or increased activity (exercise) driving hunger.
But here's the key difference: even though I'm really hungry lately, I have zero interest in candy bars at the checkout, finishing a pint of ice cream, or even Celsius drinks anymore—all of which used to be issues for me.
Retatrutide is currently more effective for weight loss than anything else available, and I think part of that comes from not keeping you in an unnaturally suppressed state forever. Real, physiologic hunger, especially when it's not tied to cravings or bingeing, might actually mean you're in a healthier place than when the drug made eating feel impossible.
Just my two cents after looking into this. I'd love to hear what others think.