lessthanhalf said:
AngieHolmes said:
Chili777 said:
AngieHolmes said:
Chili777 said:
lessthanhalf said:
Over the last several months, the Aussie thread here has been filled with posts saying customs has been seizing shipments. That lines up with a TGA (Australia's equivalent of the FDA) announcement roughly 2 months back about a peptide import crackdown. Because of that, I've been hesitating before placing any order.
In Australia, 3/4 of cigarette sales happen through the black market. The cause is absurdly high tobacco taxes, which pushed buyers underground (I believe a pack retails for around $60-100 Aud, so well-meant efforts to cut smoking produced a black market complete with weekly firebombings of tobacco shops). With that in mind, I doubt they will manage to block much of the peptide flow into the country, especially considering how many parcels arrive from China through Temu and similar services. Unless every small package is being xrayed, I don't see how they could single out peptides so easily.
Vendors who promote Australian warehouses do appear to be struggling badly to bring in stock; at points I've noticed them listing only 1 to three different peptides. My past orders from China mostly looked like they were shipped in bulk and then reshipped locally, but it has been too long since my last order for me to say whether that approach is still in use.
A friend from Australia told me peptides have become hugely popular down there. According to him, it's impossible to sit in a pub or coffee shop without hearing conversations about them. Local suppliers in AUS also sound pretty sketchy, since there are reports of people being harmed, not only from self-inflicted issues. Back here in the US, I haven't noticed that as much, but the Ken's and Karen's are certainly involved now, together with the TikTok crowd.
Prohibition showed us that the market will shift to fill a void. Let's hope that lesson has sunk in.
Beyond people harming themselves through peptide errors, are others also being harmed? Could this be organized crime targeting smaller-scale dealers, or something else?
Reports came out about 6 individuals who suffered serious liver harm after taking peptides that had been adulterated in that country. I think @lessthanhalf shared an article covering this.
So was that adulteration put down to human error? Or did anyone suspect it was deliberate? I'll go find @lessthanhalf 's post
No new developments have reached me. Should the TGA open a probe, it would probably drag on for a considerable stretch, and whether it becomes public hinges on their judgment about public health value. It would be genuinely useful to learn whether a root cause was ever pinned down; the pattern strongly pointed to a contaminant rather than the medication itself. Liver toxicity from GLP drugs is an exceedingly rare event, and it would not produce 6 cases traced back to one supplier. From what I gathered, the operation was a local reseller using utopia branding, though I cannot confirm that the site I stumbled across was actually the source, since leaving an advertisement for something the TGA might prosecute over would be highly improbable. My lean is toward sloppiness or indifference over intent. Selling peptides in Australia carries substantial legal exposure, so the space tends to draw people who accept prosecution risk, or those already involved in crime, far more than hobbyists or people with chemistry or biology backgrounds.
The TGA's latest statement is dated 20/7/26 -
"Unapproved peptide product promoters and suppliers are put on notice"
"The message is simple:
If you are buying unapproved peptide products, understand the risks.
If you are advertising, importing, supplying, manufacturing or exporting them, know your legal obligations.
If you are unlawfully advertising, importing, supplying, manufacturing or exporting them, expect the TGA to take action."
My feelings are mixed. Broadly I back their enforcement, since drug safety matters, and letting anyone buy any chemical with zero standards or safeguards does look like a fast track to trouble. On principle I am not really in favor of criminalizing drugs, as prohibition tends to generate more damage than it prevents, yet completely open access would quite likely tip the overall harm-benefit balance the wrong way. Even Amazon AU carries noticeably fewer sketchy listings than Amazon US, which comes down to differing regulations here. Meanwhile, my own health rests on these underground weight loss peptides. Cutting off access would be catastrophic, with the prospect of regaining 80 kilos and the sharply elevated heart disease risk that follows. No legitimate alternative exists for me: Ozempic is intolerable, tirzepatide is beyond my budget, and retatrutide and cagrlintide remain unapproved and unavailable outside black or grey channels.