Paypal won't let me send PYUSD — anyone else hit this?

Itinerant

Explorer
Joined
Jul 22, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
London
I'm not great with crypto, but I'm pretty sure I followed every step correctly. I picked up PYUSD, went through the verification process, and scanned the QR code — yet once I try to send, this pops up:

"We cant send to that contact in an effort to protect your account"

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to be concerned? The vendor is from here.

Thanks!
 
Itinerant said:

I'm not great with crypto, but I'm pretty sure I followed every step correctly. I picked up PYUSD, went through the verification process, and scanned the QR code — yet once I try to send, this pops up:

"We cant send to that contact in an effort to protect your account"

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to be concerned? The vendor is from here.

Thanks!
Is your intent to transfer straight out of Paypal and over to a vendor?
 
yes. I used the crypto section to scan their QR code. It shows that it's sending (through?) Ethereum.. but on my side everything is paypal/PYUSD..

EDIT: To clarify, what I did was open my crypto account, press the send button, and then press the 'scan QR code button'.

jsc1980 said:

Itinerant said:

I'm not great with crypto, but I'm pretty sure I followed every step correctly. I picked up PYUSD, went through the verification process, and scanned the QR code — yet once I try to send, this pops up:

"We cant send to that contact in an effort to protect your account"

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to be concerned? The vendor is from here.

Thanks!
Is your intent to transfer straight out of Paypal and over to a vendor?
 
It seems to me that PayPal maintains a blacklist of vendors they won't allow. Likely there's some government oversight driving this enforcement.

What you ought to do is set up a self-custody wallet, such as Exodus or Trust Wallet. Moving funds from PayPal into that wallet should work, and from there you can send to the vendor. Don't leave a large amount sitting in the self-custody wallet.
 
Itinerant said:

yes. I used the crypto section to scan their QR code. It shows that it's sending (through?) Ethereum.. but on my side everything is paypal/PYUSD..

EDIT: To clarify, what I did was open my crypto account, press the send button, and then press the 'scan QR code button'.

jsc1980 said:

Itinerant said:

I'm not great with crypto, but I'm pretty sure I followed every step correctly. I picked up PYUSD, went through the verification process, and scanned the QR code — yet once I try to send, this pops up:

"We cant send to that contact in an effort to protect your account"

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to be concerned? The vendor is from here.

Thanks!
Is your intent to transfer straight out of Paypal and over to a vendor?
You should never transfer straight from an exchange account (paypal, for example). Any idea whether the vendor takes PYUSD-Eth or PYUSD-Sol? What you want is a second wallet (non-custodial, something like Exodus or Trust). Move the PYUSD over to it, and while you're in paypal also pick up roughly $5 in Solana or Ethereum and send that to the same wallet too (it's needed for "gas"). After that, push the PYUSD to the vendor out of that non-custodial wallet. Before you do, figure out which chain they're on, since that tells you whether Ethereum or Solana is the one you need. Alternatively, grab $5 of each and send both, so you're covered no matter what.

Also watch your paypal account closely, since accounts have been locked when people tried sending straight to flagged addresses.
 
jsc1980 said:


Never send directly have an exchange account (i.e., paypal). Do you know if the vendor is using PYUSD-Eth or PYUSD-Sol? You'll want to setup a second wallet (non-custodial like Exodus or Trust). Transfer the PYUSD there and also buy (in paypal) and transfer another $5 or so in either Solana or Ethereum to that wallet as well (need for "gas"). Then send the PYUSD to the vendor from that non-custodial wallet. You'll need to know which chain they are using for the transfer so you know if you need Ethereum or Solana. Or you could buy $5 of each and transfer you you are covered either way.

And keep an eye of your paypal account because people have had their accounts locked for trying to transfer directly to flagged addresses.

Click to expand...
So the flow is:
1. pick up PYUSD inside Paypal
2. move PYUSD across to a "wallet" (Ethereum)
3. push PYUSD out of that wallet and over to the vendor
Have I got that right?
 
Itinerant said:


Any advice for where to best educate myself?

Click to expand...
This community has some solid threads, and crypto channels are usually available on most vendors' DC and TG servers.
 
Itinerant said:


So:

1. buy PYUSD in Paypal

2. xfer PYUSD to a "wallet" (Ethereum)

3. xfer PYUSD from the wallet to the vendor

Am I understanding correctly?

Click to expand...
That's not exactly right. A wallet would be something like Exodus or Trustwallet; Ethereum itself isn't one. Ethereum functions as a coin and also as a network. Picture the networks as airlines: Delta and United would be Ethereum and Solana, moving your crypto coins to where they need to go (the vendor's wallet). To move your coin, you pay a "gas" fee in ETH or SOL. Because of that, you should keep a modest balance of one or both inside your Exodus wallet.
 
Itinerant said:


Any advice for where to best educate myself?

Click to expand...
In the top left area, find Forums and select it;

then head to the sub forum called Crytpo Corner, where you'll find numerous threads about this topic.

Go through them more than once --

since Paypal and PYUSD are what caught your attention, begin with this in-depth guide and thread --

PayPal / USDT / Solana Crypto Guide 10.21.25
 
Itinerant said:


Any advice for where to best educate myself?

Click to expand...
Welcome!

Signing up for a crypto wallet also means you'll pick up some knowledge along the way. Simply download one, complete the registration, and go through verification. After that, hit the buy button and pick whichever crypto your supplier is willing to take. Enter the amount you'd like to purchase, and when you reach the payment step, Paypal will show up among the payment choices.

With Exodus, verification is tougher than with some others. My verification didn't go through, since my very first transaction was an attempt to purchase €500 euro of USDC Ethereum. That was too much!! BYBIT, however, had no such issue. I got verified inside 24 hours and was free to buy as much as I wanted. Whether every wallet works the same way, I can't say? The only catch is the 72 hours timer that kicks in after you buy crypto. During that window, you can't make any payments using your crypto value. Your vendor understands how this works and will wait patiently. They already anticipate these issues before you even bring them up. So don't worry!

Succes
 
Itinerant said:


So:

1. buy PYUSD in Paypal

2. xfer PYUSD to a "wallet" (Ethereum)

3. xfer PYUSD from the wallet to the vendor

Am I understanding correctly?

Click to expand...
In the UK, moving PYUSD to an outside wallet isn't possible. I ran into the exact same issue a few days back.
 
Itinerant said:


So:

1. buy PYUSD in Paypal

2. xfer PYUSD to a "wallet" (Ethereum)

3. xfer PYUSD from the wallet to the vendor

Am I understanding correctly?

Click to expand...
Skip PYUSD entirely, in my view. Instead, use PayPal on a platform like Coinbase to purchase USDC or USDT. Then move that stablecoin into a cold wallet such as Exodus, routing it over ETH or SOL (avoid Base). From Exodus, pay the vendor. That's it. No frozen accounts, no holds.
 
Back
Top