NY Times: GLP-1 Muscle Loss Isn’t Something to Freak Out About

If people consumed enough protein and did resistance training, muscle loss on GLP-1s wouldn't be a concern at all. The majority just take the easiest route: eating in a deficit and nothing more.
 
My take on the key takeaways from this piece:

Dr. Jakicic pointed out that muscles differ in quality, and we don’t yet know which type people actually shed while on these drugs. Are we talking about the powerful, well-functioning muscle, or the poor-quality kind that’s been replaced by fat and can’t contract, regenerate or work properly?

Research going back several decades on low-calorie diets indicates that slimming down might remove a disproportionate share of this inferior, fat-infiltrated tissue. A 2025 study likewise found that people on tirzepatide lost about the same amount of muscle volume as with other weight-loss approaches, yet the fat stored within their muscles decreased more. That said, the research only looked at thigh muscles and didn’t assess their strength or how they functioned.

According to Dr. Jakicic, “The initial loss is probably going to be from the muscle tissue that the body is trying to shed anyway,” though he noted that further research specific to GLP-1 drugs is needed to confirm this, including tracking patients over time.
 
Good read.

It's always made sense to me that carrying around a lot of extra weight means the legs must be particularly powerful just to hold someone up...After dropping a huge amount of weight, sure, there's bound to be some muscle in that mix, but my legs remain quite strong.

This doesn't stress me out much. Lifting weights and getting enough protein should bring the muscle back, particularly in my arms, and all told, shedding 140 lbs so far has turned me back into the highly active person I once was.
 
FarmgirlRebel said:

Good read.

It's always made sense to me that carrying around a lot of extra weight means the legs must be particularly powerful just to hold someone up...After dropping a huge amount of weight, sure, there's bound to be some muscle in that mix, but my legs remain quite strong.

This doesn't stress me out much. Lifting weights and getting enough protein should bring the muscle back, particularly in my arms, and all told, shedding 140 lbs so far has turned me back into the highly active person I once was.
Before my metabolism tanked, I had a lot of muscle. Now the definition is reappearing, and after dropping 90lb my biceps and calves haven't shrunk at all. So perhaps that doctor is onto something when he asks whether what's in the muscle is just useless fat. Worth noting: I'm taking a low dose of hgh? Only time will reveal the answer.
 
CNCCurrency said:

FarmgirlRebel said:

Good read.

It's always made sense to me that carrying around a lot of extra weight means the legs must be particularly powerful just to hold someone up...After dropping a huge amount of weight, sure, there's bound to be some muscle in that mix, but my legs remain quite strong.

This doesn't stress me out much. Lifting weights and getting enough protein should bring the muscle back, particularly in my arms, and all told, shedding 140 lbs so far has turned me back into the highly active person I once was.
Before my metabolism tanked, I had a lot of muscle. Now the definition is reappearing, and after dropping 90lb my biceps and calves haven't shrunk at all. So perhaps that doctor is onto something when he asks whether what's in the muscle is just useless fat. Worth noting: I'm taking a low dose of hgh? Only time will reveal the answer.
That's fantastic...isn't it such a relief to shed that weight? For me, it's like I'm gliding, and gravity isn't dragging me down the way it once did. My calves have basically held their size; yes, my thighs got smaller, though not drastically. As for my arms, they've gotten a bit flappy, haha, but I've been strength training, so I'll still be able to saddle my horse once spring arrives.
 
FarmgirlRebel said:

CNCCurrency said:

FarmgirlRebel said:

Good read.

It's always made sense to me that carrying around a lot of extra weight means the legs must be particularly powerful just to hold someone up...After dropping a huge amount of weight, sure, there's bound to be some muscle in that mix, but my legs remain quite strong.

This doesn't stress me out much. Lifting weights and getting enough protein should bring the muscle back, particularly in my arms, and all told, shedding 140 lbs so far has turned me back into the highly active person I once was.
Before my metabolism tanked, I had a lot of muscle. Now the definition is reappearing, and after dropping 90lb my biceps and calves haven't shrunk at all. So perhaps that doctor is onto something when he asks whether what's in the muscle is just useless fat. Worth noting: I'm taking a low dose of hgh? Only time will reveal the answer.
That's fantastic...isn't it such a relief to shed that weight? For me, it's like I'm gliding, and gravity isn't dragging me down the way it once did. My calves have basically held their size; yes, my thighs got smaller, though not drastically. As for my arms, they've gotten a bit flappy, haha, but I've been strength training, so I'll still be able to saddle my horse once spring arrives.
It’s never been a fair fight — guys have the muscle edge from the start, so I wouldn’t stress over it.
 
dickybob said:

There’s No Need to Freak Out Over Losing Muscle on GLP-1s https://www.nytimes.com/2026/03/02/....GXan.omLK2eCUD6wQ&smid=nytcore-android-share
Losing muscle is a genuine concern. Get a gym membership and go 3 times per week. Aim for a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio (you might need to build up to that), plus some resistance work. If you’re unsure how to start, hire a trainer for 1 or 2 sessions. Machines are the simplest option—most have illustrations indicating which muscles they target. Wander around and test each one; a few will appeal to you, and others you’ll dislike. A major bonus is that fat loss speeds up. Another plus: you could end up with a few new friends.
 
Multiple studies I’ve come across report that GLP’s enhance muscle quality and function, and cut intramuscular fat, according to muscle biopsies.

Yes, muscle mass does go down. But in real-world terms, the combined drop in total mass and fat delivers a big boost to everyday functioning. I’d guess plenty of people here know the contrast between climbing stairs while obese and doing it after losing weight on GLP’s. For me, it now feels effortless. A lot of overweight individuals have some of that excess weight as muscle. I recall a friend who lifted weights being furious that I could bench press the same as him, even though I never trained and was very overweight. In most cases, shedding that extra muscle along with the weight is irrelevant, because physical capability overall gets better. And losing the additional leg muscle that was needed to move a heavier body is irrelevant too.

A subset of people already near the border of sarcopenic obesity may face a genuine issue here, though presumably this is far more tied to advanced age or chronic illness. Presumably mid to late 60’s and older, with some exceptions. Yoyo dieting with GLP’s is probably a bad idea as this could make this issue worse.

Eating high protein while losing weight is a good idea, as is resistance training, but realistically a large percentage of obese people are not that great at sustaining regular exercise, which is one of the reasons for their obesity. I have not done any resistance training and I know my upper body strength is lower than while obese but in practice it is still much much easier to carry heavy or large objects without a large gut in the way and getting out of breath or exhausted in no time.
 
Back
Top