NP put me on 200mg of test per week — is that normal?

My labs came back today and I would like to hear what you all make of them.

Male, age 51

59.8pg/mL - free T

477ng/dL - total T

3.4mIU/mL - FSH

4.1mIU/mL - LH

36nmol/L - SHBG

Everything here falls inside the reference range, yet the free and total numbers look like they sit near the bottom of it. Right now I am only reading up on TRT - starting is not on the table for a while, I just want firsthand accounts from guys already on it. Blast protocols and stacked cycles hold zero appeal for me; what I care about is staying light and lean enough to climb well.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

Skidude said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

oh shit. I have been on my best behaviour, but have I screwed up with Zippity again? What is going on with this? I have not even said a bad word about any of the grifting vendors in ages?
Possibly the thread simply belonged in a different section — he tends to want these in AAS.

Probably no need for the woodshed treatment.
ahhhh ty, that might be it... I figured this was the right spot to post it, still new to the hormone therapy world.
You drop 99% of every new thread you start into the Public Square, and honestly it is driving me up the wall. If working out where a thread belongs is too much trouble, then just do not post it.
 
Troposphere said:

My labs came back today and I would like to hear what you all make of them.

Male, age 51

59.8pg/mL - free T

477ng/dL - total T

3.4mIU/mL - FSH

4.1mIU/mL - LH

36nmol/L - SHBG

Everything here falls inside the reference range, yet the free and total numbers look like they sit near the bottom of it. Right now I am only reading up on TRT - starting is not on the table for a while, I just want firsthand accounts from guys already on it. Blast protocols and stacked cycles hold zero appeal for me; what I care about is staying light and lean enough to climb well.
That free-to-total ratio of yours is excellent, and for a 51-year-old the total is nothing to worry about.

To me the real question is what symptoms you have, and whether any of them track with these numbers.

Back when I began, mine sat at 6.9 and my aim was to land somewhere in the 20-30 range.

If I had to guess as a beginner, I would say give boron and ashwagandha a try and see whether anything shifts.

Handling free T that is this high is simply beyond anything I know about.
 
Skidude said:

Troposphere said:

My labs came back today and I would like to hear what you all make of them.

Male, age 51

59.8pg/mL - free T

477ng/dL - total T

3.4mIU/mL - FSH

4.1mIU/mL - LH

36nmol/L - SHBG

Everything here falls inside the reference range, yet the free and total numbers look like they sit near the bottom of it. Right now I am only reading up on TRT - starting is not on the table for a while, I just want firsthand accounts from guys already on it. Blast protocols and stacked cycles hold zero appeal for me; what I care about is staying light and lean enough to climb well.
That free-to-total ratio of yours is excellent, and for a 51-year-old the total is nothing to worry about.

To me the real question is what symptoms you have, and whether any of them track with these numbers.

Back when I began, mine sat at 6.9 and my aim was to land somewhere in the 20-30 range.

If I had to guess as a beginner, I would say give boron and ashwagandha a try and see whether anything shifts.

Handling free T that is this high is simply beyond anything I know about.
On the free-T point - I believe the units you have in mind are ng/dL, which in my case works out to 5.98
 
Mine came back in pg/ml

As you can see, I went over at 31.2 pg/ml

25883ef97adf754b5d3d65e53df551c73df7d0e3014b6af55314f4ee29ce1a74.webp
 
Troposphere said:

Skidude said:

Mine came back in pg/ml

As you can see, I went over at 31.2 pg/ml

View attachment 234
Your chart surprises me when I line it up with the results I posted below. Going by those charts my numbers come out borderline low. Thanks for the insight!View attachment 235
None of that adds up, so hopefully somebody here can shed more light on it.

Could one be calculated and the other measured directly?

This is what google has to say:

Free testosterone refers to the unbound, active hormone. Calculated free testosterone (derived from total testosterone, SHBG, and albumin) is widely considered more accurate and reliable by endocrinologists than direct measurement (via analog immunoassay), which is prone to interference. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Calculated Free Testosterone

    • How it works: Uses a mathematical algorithm (such as the Vermeulen or Sodergard equations) based on your lab values for total testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and albumin. [1, 2]
    • Pros: Highly correlates with the clinical "gold standard" (equilibrium dialysis) and corrects for binding protein irregularities. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
    • Cons: Its accuracy depends entirely on the accuracy of the foundational total testosterone and SHBG assays. [1]

Direct Free Testosterone

    • How it works: Directly measures the free fraction using an immunoassay on your blood sample.
    • Pros: Simpler and faster for labs to automate.
    • Cons: Known to suffer from cross-reactivity with other steroid hormones. Reference ranges can also vary drastically between different labs (e.g., LabCorp vs. Quest) with no straightforward way to convert them

Click to expand...

The numbers I have come from the LabCorp portal

The total line does appear to line up:

b2155f6458f4af9ae46a3f7a9f1c8863bed917bc4c4be79e6b50f904579e342b.webp
 
A bit more detail

Calculated free testosterone (cFT) estimates the unbound, biologically active hormone in your blood. Typical normal reference ranges vary by laboratory method and age, but for adult males, optimal ranges generally fall between 50 to 224 pg/mL. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Standard calculated free testosterone ranges for males include:

    • Adult Males (18-49 years): 55 to 171 pg/mL
    • Adult Males (50+ years): 43 to 125 pg/mL

Click to expand...

So by the looks of it you are sitting "border line" low where Free is concerned

Whether you actually have symptoms is what matters most here.

With scores in a similar range, TRT did work for me.

The afternoon naps stopped, energy went up, libido improved, and my mood got better too.

Out of caution about aromatizing, I held off until my BMI had settled into the normal range.

Talk it over with your Doc and see what they say about your symptoms - it is a long-term commitment, not something you walk away from.. a bit like my Tirz 🙂
 
Skidude said:

A bit more detail

Calculated free testosterone (cFT) estimates the unbound, biologically active hormone in your blood. Typical normal reference ranges vary by laboratory method and age, but for adult males, optimal ranges generally fall between 50 to 224 pg/mL. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Standard calculated free testosterone ranges for males include:

    • Adult Males (18-49 years): 55 to 171 pg/mL
    • Adult Males (50+ years): 43 to 125 pg/mL

Click to expand...

So by the looks of it you are sitting "border line" low where Free is concerned

Whether you actually have symptoms is what matters most here.

With scores in a similar range, TRT did work for me.

The afternoon naps stopped, energy went up, libido improved, and my mood got better too.

Out of caution about aromatizing, I held off until my BMI had settled into the normal range.

Talk it over with your Doc and see what they say about your symptoms - it is a long-term commitment, not something you walk away from.. a bit like my Tirz 🙂

Skidude said:

A bit more detail

Calculated free testosterone (cFT) estimates the unbound, biologically active hormone in your blood. Typical normal reference ranges vary by laboratory method and age, but for adult males, optimal ranges generally fall between 50 to 224 pg/mL. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Standard calculated free testosterone ranges for males include:

    • Adult Males (18-49 years): 55 to 171 pg/mL
    • Adult Males (50+ years): 43 to 125 pg/mL

Click to expand...

So by the looks of it you are sitting "border line" low where Free is concerned

Whether you actually have symptoms is what matters most here.

With scores in a similar range, TRT did work for me.

The afternoon naps stopped, energy went up, libido improved, and my mood got better too.

Out of caution about aromatizing, I held off until my BMI had settled into the normal range.

Talk it over with your Doc and see what they say about your symptoms - it is a long-term commitment, not something you walk away from.. a bit like my Tirz 🙂
Energy is in a good place, particularly after losing 25lbs. My mood has been fine too. It is summer break, so there is time for enough sleep, for cooking proper meals, and no job around to drain the urge to train.

Libido is the one area that could improve - my wife would certainly welcome that.

Skidude said:

A bit more detail

Calculated free testosterone (cFT) estimates the unbound, biologically active hormone in your blood. Typical normal reference ranges vary by laboratory method and age, but for adult males, optimal ranges generally fall between 50 to 224 pg/mL. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Standard calculated free testosterone ranges for males include:

    • Adult Males (18-49 years): 55 to 171 pg/mL
    • Adult Males (50+ years): 43 to 125 pg/mL

Click to expand...

So by the looks of it you are sitting "border line" low where Free is concerned

Whether you actually have symptoms is what matters most here.

With scores in a similar range, TRT did work for me.

The afternoon naps stopped, energy went up, libido improved, and my mood got better too.

Out of caution about aromatizing, I held off until my BMI had settled into the normal range.

Talk it over with your Doc and see what they say about your symptoms - it is a long-term commitment, not something you walk away from.. a bit like my Tirz 🙂
Appreciate the reply; I am in no rush at all with this decision.
 
Truthfully, the only thing your money buys is somebody booking the labs and interpreting the results. Once that clicks, you can walk away, order your own panels, and simply go UGL.
 
Back
Top