Not a drill: 5 pounds from minimum goal

Joined
Aug 10, 2025
Messages
653
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Today the scale read 126 lbs. I find myself staring at my thigh gap for far longer than I should, since it doesn't feel real. The sizes on my clothes don't feel real either. There are strange bones in strange spots. I keep thinking about buying a full length mirror, and then I tell myself off: "That is unlikely to build character, randompersonrandom. You can look at yourself in the ones in the gym if you want to see it so bad." Every conversation opens with "YOU ARE SO SKINNY". To myself I still look fat, but I KNOW it's in my head and don't concern myself with it.

My no-lower-than-this is 121, and I'm on track to get there in the next month. And then I'm like....done trying to get more off.

I'll celebrate with one of those big Costco blueberry muffins as a joke with a family that kinda adopted me down here. (I was 186 pounds a couple of years back, eating one of those and lamenting that I couldn't afford ozempic. One of the women in that family said, deadpan, "If you're obese and have an associated comorbidity, sometimes insurance will pay for it. (Pause.) Have another muffin.") But my regular losing-weight food is very good, and I go to the gym because it's pleasant to exercise when you're not overweight, which nobody told me, so that won't be hard to keep doing.

I have no experience whatsoever at "not needing to lose weight right now." I have always been either actively working to lose weight, or gaining weight while stressing over the fact that I need to get hold of myself.

This will be my first time where when I get on the scale, it will be with the hope that it says what it said yesterday, last week, last month. This will be the most surreal experience.
 
That's amazing news!!! Just make sure you keep sharing once you hit your gw, okay? Reading your updates is my favorite part🙂
 
byefatlicia said:

That's amazing news!!! Just make sure you keep sharing once you hit your gw, okay? Reading your updates is my favorite part🙂
no way--hanging out and messing about in the online groups I enjoy isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. 😀
 
incredible!! now that I'm no longer actively trying to loose weight, I'm honestly at a loss for what to do with myself. living like a regular person without constantly obsessing over food? I have no idea how to do that. It's strange.
 
Nice work! So now you've got to start mentally letting go of a self-image that isn't there anymore, right?
 
Eventually you might reach a point where the gym becomes something you genuinely like, and you'll want to add muscle. Then you'll have to accept that doing so means you need to put on weight. Seeing the number on the scale climb is tough, even when you're aware that the majority of that gain is muscle.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Today the scale read 126 lbs. I find myself staring at my thigh gap for far longer than I should, since it doesn't feel real. The sizes on my clothes don't feel real either. There are strange bones in strange spots. I keep thinking about buying a full length mirror, and then I tell myself off: "That is unlikely to build character, randompersonrandom. You can look at yourself in the ones in the gym if you want to see it so bad." Every conversation opens with "YOU ARE SO SKINNY". To myself I still look fat, but I KNOW it's in my head and don't concern myself with it.

My no-lower-than-this is 121, and I'm on track to get there in the next month. And then I'm like....done trying to get more off.

I'll celebrate with one of those big Costco blueberry muffins as a joke with a family that kinda adopted me down here. (I was 186 pounds a couple of years back, eating one of those and lamenting that I couldn't afford ozempic. One of the women in that family said, deadpan, "If you're obese and have an associated comorbidity, sometimes insurance will pay for it. (Pause.) Have another muffin.") But my regular losing-weight food is very good, and I go to the gym because it's pleasant to exercise when you're not overweight, which nobody told me, so that won't be hard to keep doing.

I have no experience whatsoever at "not needing to lose weight right now." I have always been either actively working to lose weight, or gaining weight while stressing over the fact that I need to get hold of myself.

This will be my first time where when I get on the scale, it will be with the hope that it says what it said yesterday, last week, last month. This will be the most surreal experience.
That's fantastic!! You're going to reach it before you know it!! Well done!! Take pleasure in this moment & keep telling yourself that you are slender & that the number on the scale is real!! 🙂
 
randompersonrandom said:

Today the scale read 126 lbs. I find myself staring at my thigh gap for far longer than I should, since it doesn't feel real. The sizes on my clothes don't feel real either. There are strange bones in strange spots. I keep thinking about buying a full length mirror, and then I tell myself off: "That is unlikely to build character, randompersonrandom. You can look at yourself in the ones in the gym if you want to see it so bad." Every conversation opens with "YOU ARE SO SKINNY". To myself I still look fat, but I KNOW it's in my head and don't concern myself with it.

My no-lower-than-this is 121, and I'm on track to get there in the next month. And then I'm like....done trying to get more off.

I'll celebrate with one of those big Costco blueberry muffins as a joke with a family that kinda adopted me down here. (I was 186 pounds a couple of years back, eating one of those and lamenting that I couldn't afford ozempic. One of the women in that family said, deadpan, "If you're obese and have an associated comorbidity, sometimes insurance will pay for it. (Pause.) Have another muffin.") But my regular losing-weight food is very good, and I go to the gym because it's pleasant to exercise when you're not overweight, which nobody told me, so that won't be hard to keep doing.

I have no experience whatsoever at "not needing to lose weight right now." I have always been either actively working to lose weight, or gaining weight while stressing over the fact that I need to get hold of myself.

This will be my first time where when I get on the scale, it will be with the hope that it says what it said yesterday, last week, last month. This will be the most surreal experience.
Wow, that is incredible! Great job on dropping so much weight. My own weight is close to yours right now. Today the scale showed a new personal best for me: 125.6. My starting point was 148 lbs.

When others keep telling you that you are so skinny, that means it is true. Often, while you are losing weight, everything in the mirror feels unchanged, like nothing is different, yet the numbers on the scale keep going down and your clothing starts to fit differently. The reason you believe you still look fat comes down to being yourself and seeing yourself every single day. But if you have been snapping progress pictures along the way, then looking back at the older ones would show you something like, "wow, I have made so much progress". That is what fuels you and what matters for continuing, even when you still feel fat, because the proof is in the pudding. Just check those photos from a few years ago, or even only a couple months ago.

As for me, I would not call it skinnier, more like leaner, meaning more definition all over and conditioned, since I go to the gym daily for lifting, so every pound I lost was fat mass, and I actually added some muscle along the way. So maybe what could help you move past that feeling in your head is to take weightlifting seriously. Combine that with the fat loss and a bit of extra muscle mass gained, and it can help with the body image issue.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Today the scale read 126 lbs. I find myself staring at my thigh gap for far longer than I should, since it doesn't feel real. The sizes on my clothes don't feel real either. There are strange bones in strange spots. I keep thinking about buying a full length mirror, and then I tell myself off: "That is unlikely to build character, randompersonrandom. You can look at yourself in the ones in the gym if you want to see it so bad." Every conversation opens with "YOU ARE SO SKINNY". To myself I still look fat, but I KNOW it's in my head and don't concern myself with it.

My no-lower-than-this is 121, and I'm on track to get there in the next month. And then I'm like....done trying to get more off.

I'll celebrate with one of those big Costco blueberry muffins as a joke with a family that kinda adopted me down here. (I was 186 pounds a couple of years back, eating one of those and lamenting that I couldn't afford ozempic. One of the women in that family said, deadpan, "If you're obese and have an associated comorbidity, sometimes insurance will pay for it. (Pause.) Have another muffin.") But my regular losing-weight food is very good, and I go to the gym because it's pleasant to exercise when you're not overweight, which nobody told me, so that won't be hard to keep doing.

I have no experience whatsoever at "not needing to lose weight right now." I have always been either actively working to lose weight, or gaining weight while stressing over the fact that I need to get hold of myself.

This will be my first time where when I get on the scale, it will be with the hope that it says what it said yesterday, last week, last month. This will be the most surreal experience.

This gave me a solid laugh. Thanks for that. Despite being morbidly obese with prediabetes, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol, my insurance still refused to cover me…. I even considered eating a candy bar right before my bloodwork in hopes of landing a diabetes diagnosis. In the end, I figured diabetes wasn’t worth playing games with.

Nice work on what you’ve achieved! I relate to every one of those thoughts. This morning I’m 8 lbs away from “goal”, yet the mirror still shows me someone very fat. I realize it’s all in my head, but knowing that doesn’t make it any less difficult. Full length mirrors are no help—I already have them. 🤔
 
Way to go on arriving at a point where the scale tips in your favor permanently. 😎

Now you've got zero reason to put off building a fresh closet that's far more fashionable. 🙂

How do you intend to hold the line once you're there?

According to 'studies', it looks like roughly 18 months in, GLP-1s tend to produce extremely sluggish further loss from that point.

Does that mean staying at the same dose is how you keep a weight steady?

Or do you figure on easing it back somewhat?

I've put in time hunting for people who've shed pounds, both here and over on the Reddit channels, and hardly anyone seems to have a strategy or even a notion about what could pan out and what won't.

Those who do usually land on 'I'll work out heavily and taper my dose gradually until it's zero', nothing more...at least on Reddit.

IMHO I doubt that pans out, GLP-1s are required to fix an imbalance that has wrecked metabolic pathways. Take away that fix and regaining the weight becomes unavoidable.

There's another snag too: what do hunger cues even look like for someone on GLP-1?

Meaning, getting the calories required to hold energy steady, before drawing on fat reserves, was simple while heavy, but now that those huge fat reserves are gone, keeping things steady seems tougher.

Do you have steady energy for the stuff you enjoy doing?

Hitting empty in the middle of a pleasant walk is annoying...not sleepy, not muscles fatigued, just lacking the energy to move, all shaky.

BTW it is NOT about protein levels, it's something else...keep up the protein, but for adding muscle mass, what more is required to boost the 'I can do things now since I'm not dragging around 50 extra pounds' while avoiding the no-energy issue?

For some time now I've been throwing around ideas, hunting for answers...any insight you've got would be fantastic.

Once more, congrats on reaching your ideal weight.

I hope you keep posting, reading what you write brightens my day...very spicy. 🙂
 
Back
Top