Nipple Sensitivity on TRT

islandtime50

Explorer
Joined
Jun 15, 2026
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Location
Vancouver Island
Spent part of this week traveling. Another issue that's cropped up: my nipples have become somewhat bothersome. I'm approximately 6 weeks into TRT now. As many of you are aware, around this point you reach full saturation, so this could point to elevated E2. I posted about it on Anabolic Atlas. Monday I'll be getting a requisition through Teletest so I can have blood work done. Depending on what the results show, I might change my dosage.

No AI is currently in my possession—my TRT clinic never brought it up at all. Blood work isn't something they're planning to do anytime soon either, and what they did before starting TRT was incomplete since it went through provincial MSP coverage instead of letting me pay out of pocket (honestly, the thought never crossed my mind because I was under the impression they'd handle all of that).

Right now I'm fairly confident I'll move my TRT prescription over to Teletest. I'll let them try to do it properly ($49 Cdn covers a review of your blood work plus a 3 month test prescription filled at your local pharmacy). A referral to a urologist was something I requested from my fp, but I've gotten no response and I doubt he even sent it.

At the same time, I've already organized a GB for 3p test cyp, and I'm already leaning toward just managing everything on my own. The online TRT clinic has left me rather unimpressed, Teletest lets me pull my own blood work (though I'll be posing as an AAS user to get the full panel instead of the narrower trt options—the blood test packages differ), and my hopes of getting in with a urologist anytime soon are basically nonexistent. Money isn't really the issue—it's the one-size-fits-all approach these available providers take.
 
With each vial of test, TRT Nation includes a bottle of AI — I have never actually required it, though.

The 200mg/week protocol they use is a one-size-fits-all approach, and it works for me. To get my dose dialed in, I run my own labs far beyond what they ask for.

Below are my TRT-adjacent labs from August, while on 50mg 3x week:

Total Testosterone (LC/MS): 871.2 ng/dL

Free Testosterone: 34.3 pg/mL

SHBG: 20.8 nmol/L

Sensitive Estradiol: 32.1 pg/mL

DHT: 34 ng/dL

PSA: 0.6 ng/mL

Hemoglobin: 16.0 g/dL

Hematocrit: 50.0%

RBC: 5.39 x10^6/uL

Platelets: 237 x10^3/uL

IGF-1: 176 ng/mL

IGF-1 Z-score: +0.1

HDL: 38 mg/dL

LDL: 77 mg/dL

Triglycerides: 68 mg/dL

ApoB: 70 mg/dL

hs-CRP: 0.56 mg/L
 
Showed up chasing the 'tingly tits'...walked away knowing a lot more about TRT...honestly that's my usual way of picking things up, charging straight at an obvious lure... 😳 😎
 
Gyno starts with exactly that. You can still turn it around right now, though the window is brief. After the gland forms, surgery becomes the sole option for removal. Cut your dose right away, or begin an AI. Given that an AI doesn't appear to be on hand, DIM can bring E2 down a little; pair that with a lower weekly test amount and more frequent injections.
 
islandtime50 said:

Spent part of this week traveling. Another issue that's cropped up: my nipples have become somewhat bothersome. I'm approximately 6 weeks into TRT now. As many of you are aware, around this point you reach full saturation, so this could point to elevated E2. I posted about it on Anabolic Atlas. Monday I'll be getting a requisition through Teletest so I can have blood work done. Depending on what the results show, I might change my dosage.

No AI is currently in my possession—my TRT clinic never brought it up at all. Blood work isn't something they're planning to do anytime soon either, and what they did before starting TRT was incomplete since it went through provincial MSP coverage instead of letting me pay out of pocket (honestly, the thought never crossed my mind because I was under the impression they'd handle all of that).

Right now I'm fairly confident I'll move my TRT prescription over to Teletest. I'll let them try to do it properly ($49 Cdn covers a review of your blood work plus a 3 month test prescription filled at your local pharmacy). A referral to a urologist was something I requested from my fp, but I've gotten no response and I doubt he even sent it.

At the same time, I've already organized a GB for 3p test cyp, and I'm already leaning toward just managing everything on my own. The online TRT clinic has left me rather unimpressed, Teletest lets me pull my own blood work (though I'll be posing as an AAS user to get the full panel instead of the narrower trt options—the blood test packages differ), and my hopes of getting in with a urologist anytime soon are basically nonexistent. Money isn't really the issue—it's the one-size-fits-all approach these available providers take.

What's your injection schedule like?

Like I said before, this points to gyno.

Aim for at least EOD or ED injections so your E2 stays in the normal range.

Alternatively, head to your TRT Clinic and pick up an Ai. (exemestan or arimided

Getting labs done would give you real numbers to work with rather than assumptions.
 
Doing 20mg ED injections. Since the TRT clinic is online, there's no way to just drop in, and my town doesn't have any in-person clinic. Might drop it down to 15mg. I still need to obtain a requisition for blood work, and I'm aiming to get that handled today (online as well).
 
Flash-BCR said:

Showed up chasing the 'tingly tits'...walked away knowing a lot more about TRT...honestly that's my usual way of picking things up, charging straight at an obvious lure... 😳 😎
I've been thinking about going on TRT at some point too, so I really value the info as well! 😅😅😇😇😆😆
 
As others have said, either lower your dosage or start an aromatase inhibitor immediately.

Over the long haul, injecting daily or every other day is the way to go, and that's what you're already doing. Shed whatever excess body fat you're able to, since fat cells are where our bodies convert testosterone into estrogen.

Go easy on the AI — based on what I've come across, tanking your estrogen is a miserable experience.

Finally, book a sensitive estradiol test and keep retesting often until things are under control.

Wishing you the best,
 
Appreciate the responses. Stats: 6' tall, 201 lbs, male age 51, and my smart scale showed 16% body fat this morning. Injections are done every day, and this morning I lowered the amount to 15mg. The uncomfortable feeling has already cleared up. Today I moved from UpGuys over to Teletest and received a requisition. Now I just need to find an opening for the blood draw (ideally during the morning). It appears that in Canada, TRT providers are extremely restrictive about AIs — both of them have stated they won't supply it. So it looks like I'll be buying that on my own (no problem, since I also want some other ancillaries and plan to replace sildenafil with tadalafil regardless). I had a different medical appointment today, and tomorrow I'll try to make some progress with my doctor.
 
islandtime50 said:

Appreciate the responses. Stats: 6' tall, 201 lbs, male age 51, and my smart scale showed 16% body fat this morning. Injections are done every day, and this morning I lowered the amount to 15mg. The uncomfortable feeling has already cleared up. Today I moved from UpGuys over to Teletest and received a requisition. Now I just need to find an opening for the blood draw (ideally during the morning). It appears that in Canada, TRT providers are extremely restrictive about AIs — both of them have stated they won't supply it. So it looks like I'll be buying that on my own (no problem, since I also want some other ancillaries and plan to replace sildenafil with tadalafil regardless). I had a different medical appointment today, and tomorrow I'll try to make some progress with my doctor.

Man, it's wild — our age, weight, and height all line up perfectly!

My birthday is in Feb. of 75.

Aromatization hits me hard as well. Right now I'm waiting on 6 week blood work. On August 10th I began a cycle of 300mg Test C. September 21st is when I get bloods. My e2 at the start was 22. Currently I'm using DIM to fight it. Anastrozole is on hand in case any tingling shows up. So far nothing.

islandtime50 said:

Appreciate the responses. Stats: 6' tall, 201 lbs, male age 51, and my smart scale showed 16% body fat this morning. Injections are done every day, and this morning I lowered the amount to 15mg. The uncomfortable feeling has already cleared up. Today I moved from UpGuys over to Teletest and received a requisition. Now I just need to find an opening for the blood draw (ideally during the morning). It appears that in Canada, TRT providers are extremely restrictive about AIs — both of them have stated they won't supply it. So it looks like I'll be buying that on my own (no problem, since I also want some other ancillaries and plan to replace sildenafil with tadalafil regardless). I had a different medical appointment today, and tomorrow I'll try to make some progress with my doctor.

That's rough!

Down in the states there's an online telehealth service called Telyrx. For my hair, I recently got Dutestaride through them. Since it's an off label prescription, hopefully… I can bring it to a local doctor and get refills. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work… other alternatives always exist.

I'm not advertising this service in Canada I found… apparently it's similar to what we have here in the US. It's called PocketPills⁠. pocketpillsdotcom

About them, I know nothing. All I know is when I need something a bit faster than India, I go with Telyrx. And Telyrx will prescribe just about anything to you. Try getting an AI here.

islandtime50 said:

Appreciate the responses. Stats: 6' tall, 201 lbs, male age 51, and my smart scale showed 16% body fat this morning. Injections are done every day, and this morning I lowered the amount to 15mg. The uncomfortable feeling has already cleared up. Today I moved from UpGuys over to Teletest and received a requisition. Now I just need to find an opening for the blood draw (ideally during the morning). It appears that in Canada, TRT providers are extremely restrictive about AIs — both of them have stated they won't supply it. So it looks like I'll be buying that on my own (no problem, since I also want some other ancillaries and plan to replace sildenafil with tadalafil regardless). I had a different medical appointment today, and tomorrow I'll try to make some progress with my doctor.
Are you using Indiamart? India Post is down right now or else I'd tell you to hit this first. This is a honey hole.

(E) to clarify… you're already pinning daily and still getting the e2 sides. Dang. That's rough. Definitely dial your dose back. Maybe half it right now until you get an AI.
 
islandtime50 said:

Appreciate the responses. Stats: 6' tall, 201 lbs, male age 51, and my smart scale showed 16% body fat this morning. Injections are done every day, and this morning I lowered the amount to 15mg. The uncomfortable feeling has already cleared up. Today I moved from UpGuys over to Teletest and received a requisition. Now I just need to find an opening for the blood draw (ideally during the morning). It appears that in Canada, TRT providers are extremely restrictive about AIs — both of them have stated they won't supply it. So it looks like I'll be buying that on my own (no problem, since I also want some other ancillaries and plan to replace sildenafil with tadalafil regardless). I had a different medical appointment today, and tomorrow I'll try to make some progress with my doctor.

My body fat isn't high at all — I just happen to aromatize more than most. You'll sort it out eventually.
 
Born November '74 here. Physically I'm not doing too badly, and I figured I was being pretty cautious with this, yet apparently I aromatize like crazy. It blows my mind how many dudes jump right to 200mg of test or higher and never deal with any sides! That is obviously not me. Take this as a heads-up for anyone just starting out. Begin at a low dose and only bump it up once you've had blood work done.
 
Alright, it was a wild week, but I figured I'd come back and post an update here in case anyone else is thinking about starting TRT and wants to know how to handle it when things go sideways.

Here's what my labs came back as:

Total testosterone: 32.6nmol/L, which converts to 940 ng/dL — on the high side, though not absurdly so for the top end of TRT.

Free testosterone: 678 pmol/L, or 19.6 ng/dL — fairly high.

Estradiol (E2): 170 pmol/L, equal to 46.3 pg/ml — clearly elevated given this testosterone level. When total T sits at 940, the target zone is roughly 25-35 pg/mL. Hitting 46 tells me aromatization is happening.

Hematocrit: 0.52L/L (52%) — this one worries me the most. 54 is the upper limit.

Hemoglobin: 173g/L, i.e. 17.3 g/dL — raised, consistent with the HCT and not unexpected.

RBC: 5.77 — high, a classic picture of testosterone-driven erythrocytosis.

SHBG: 43.1 — squarely within range.

Remainder of CBC: WBC, platelets and differentials all came back unremarkable.

Now, what I think this adds up to. My current protocol is 15mg of pharma testosterone cypionate every day, totaling 105mg per week. Back when the tingly nipple sensation started, I was running 20mg ED, which added up to 140mg/week.

To start with, that isn't a large dose, and the sides showed up around the 8 week mark — well inside the full saturation window.

Second, that particular week I was staying in a hotel and everything fell apart. I was waking at 3am for early flights, sleeping badly in the hotel bed, eating poorly (relative, sure, but since my December cancer surgery removed most of my colon, eating away from home is genuinely hard for me now), getting no exercise, and I also ended up fairly dehydrated (staying hydrated is something I have to actively manage — I watch my coffee intake, I suspect my absorption isn't what it once was, and tirz is still hitting me hard). I dropped 4.1 kg across that week.

Third, I couldn't get labs drawn right away because I was switching TRT providers, work was slammed, and I simply had no plan for getting a requisition. Where I live in BC, you need a requisition from someone before you can get blood work, and then you have to squeeze into LifeLabs around your job (booking an appointment was impossible, so I ended up going Saturday morning). The takeaway is that the timing distorts the results you're reading. The tingly nipples were definitely there Friday night, I flew home Saturday, and I cut my dose from 20mg/ED down to 15mg/ED on Monday (relief came almost immediately) — but the earliest blood draw I could get was the following Saturday.

Finally, hindsight being 20/20, I made some plain dumb calls.

1. I might have kept an AI on hand — UpGuys and Teletest both seem stingy about handing out AIs. I'm in a few TG groups now and some guys using those same providers did get AIs. I didn't. It appears to hinge on whichever doctor handles your assessment through the online TRT provider. I'm going to source my own, but I could have sorted that out before any of this happened, and that's what I'd tell anyone else to do. Even if it takes some pushing.

2. I used to make my living in hotel rooms as a utility arborist and I was pretty decent at it. I knew restaurant food wasn't happening, so I upgraded to a kitchenette room and hit the grocery store on day one. Still, I misjudged what I'd need and it went badly with those long days. I also had no rental car, so during 10 hour training days I was stuck and couldn't get back to my room.

3. Someone advised me not to drink much before the blood draw, the reasoning being you want a true baseline without skewing results (especially HCT) so you can see where you genuinely stand. Makes sense on paper, fails in reality. I sat around the clinic for ages, TRT blood work is fasted so there's no food either, and the plain truth is I was dehydrated again when they drew. Don't repeat this — your HCT will read high like mine did. Normally I'm up at 4:45am to fit workouts or a run in before breakfast and then rush to work. Being stuck at the clinic until 11am for a draw is far too long to go without fluids.

The numbers above are at least partly shaped by the higher dose I was on before I lowered it.

One more red herring I had to ask about was my nipples in general. Funny story: about 25 years ago, drunk and bored, I pierced my nipples with a sewing needle. All I had to put in were some earring hoops (curved, not straight), and getting the piercing done and then the hoops in took some effort. Soon after, they started reacting far more than my earlobes ever did, so a few days later I swapped in the proper hardware before they'd healed, which again took some doing. Long story short, my nips are quite sensitive. I feel the faintest breeze, any drop in temperature, and any kind of rubbing is strictly off limits. Whether I'm outfitted with extremely long-range early-warning gyno tits is anyone's guess.

Even with the rough week and my sensitive nips ... I got gyno, lowered my dose, and it cleared up immediately — pretty clear-cut evidence that my estradiol had climbed too high.

So ...

Here's how I understand it (the Rick bot at Anabolic Atlas helped me with this):

My testosterone figures are probably trustworthy — the gap between lowering my dose and the test is likely long enough for the change to show up. I'm probably at the top of the range for TRT. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I was only trying to dial in TRT with an eye toward TRT+ down the road, but I arrived there much sooner than planned because I respond well to exogenous test.

My raised estradiol probably isn't accurate at this moment, since those levels shift more slowly. E2 at 46 is a lagging indicator from before the dose change, plus travel stress and dehydration. Even if it were accurate, my nipples quit hurting right away, and side effects matter more than the number anyway. That figure could easily fall into the 30s by the next draw.

HCT is probably not accurate either. Dehydration by itself is a factor, plus the tirz weight dump and travel. I need to retest in a couple of weeks to find out where it truly sits.

Tirz genuinely matters. Dropping 9lb in a week is aggressive. That pulls fluid out, concentrates blood markers, piles on metabolic stress and lifts cortisol. This panel could easily be a badly timed snapshot.

Recovering from colon cancer plays in too. I'm 9 months out from very poor health and probably nowhere near decent homeostasis. My ferritin was also in single digits, which meant a blood transfusion right before surgery. So I may be over-responding on erythropoiesis and my HCT tolerance could be lower than most people's.

All of the above might read like a pile of cope. If you disagree, say so. Like I said, I had some help with it. Discourse breeds understanding, and even just reading chips away at ignorance. I've got no real reason to want to harm my own health.

What I'm doing: nothing to my dose for now. I'll get ancillaries and some aromasin (though I don't expect to need it anytime soon). I already take a lot of the right vitamins (omega 3, magnesium, zinc, k2+d3, berberine and coq10), but I'm going to quiz the bot on whether these specific ones are good and whether my amounts are right. I also already take daily low-level Tylenol since that's a post colon surgery thing. I've already got some suggestions for others to add.

Additional notes: I'm now on TRT through Teletest. The $49 referral fee covers basic blood work, a doctor reviewing the results, and you get your 12 week test prescription. The included blood work package probably isn't sufficient. I had to pay LifeLabs $90 extra just to add SHBG to the panel. There's a test prescription waiting at my pharmacy, but I haven't finished the original vials from UpGuys. Teletest offers an AAS 'harm reduction' panel that looks far more complete (though it still lacks igf-1 and other markers I might want). I worried they'd frown on me being on TRT and asking for an AAS panel simultaneously, but other Canadians reassured me they'll just take my money. Big caveat: the AAS panel still carries plenty of user-pay portions on top of the $79 sticker price. I'll update when it's actually time for more blood work. Apparently if a Dynacare lab were available, their pricing is far more competitive than LifeLabs. There isn't a single Dynacare clinic even in the lower mainland, never mind the island.

TL;DR disaster averted, TRT good, blood work good-ish, lessons learned
 
islandtime50 said:

Alright, it was a wild week, but I figured I'd come back and post an update here in case anyone else is thinking about starting TRT and wants to know how to handle it when things go sideways.

Here's what my labs came back as:

Total testosterone: 32.6nmol/L, which converts to 940 ng/dL — on the high side, though not absurdly so for the top end of TRT.

Free testosterone: 678 pmol/L, or 19.6 ng/dL — fairly high.

Estradiol (E2): 170 pmol/L, equal to 46.3 pg/ml — clearly elevated given this testosterone level. When total T sits at 940, the target zone is roughly 25-35 pg/mL. Hitting 46 tells me aromatization is happening.

Hematocrit: 0.52L/L (52%) — this one worries me the most. 54 is the upper limit.

Hemoglobin: 173g/L, i.e. 17.3 g/dL — raised, consistent with the HCT and not unexpected.

RBC: 5.77 — high, a classic picture of testosterone-driven erythrocytosis.

SHBG: 43.1 — squarely within range.

Remainder of CBC: WBC, platelets and differentials all came back unremarkable.

Now, what I think this adds up to. My current protocol is 15mg of pharma testosterone cypionate every day, totaling 105mg per week. Back when the tingly nipple sensation started, I was running 20mg ED, which added up to 140mg/week.

To start with, that isn't a large dose, and the sides showed up around the 8 week mark — well inside the full saturation window.

Second, that particular week I was staying in a hotel and everything fell apart. I was waking at 3am for early flights, sleeping badly in the hotel bed, eating poorly (relative, sure, but since my December cancer surgery removed most of my colon, eating away from home is genuinely hard for me now), getting no exercise, and I also ended up fairly dehydrated (staying hydrated is something I have to actively manage — I watch my coffee intake, I suspect my absorption isn't what it once was, and tirz is still hitting me hard). I dropped 4.1 kg across that week.

Third, I couldn't get labs drawn right away because I was switching TRT providers, work was slammed, and I simply had no plan for getting a requisition. Where I live in BC, you need a requisition from someone before you can get blood work, and then you have to squeeze into LifeLabs around your job (booking an appointment was impossible, so I ended up going Saturday morning). The takeaway is that the timing distorts the results you're reading. The tingly nipples were definitely there Friday night, I flew home Saturday, and I cut my dose from 20mg/ED down to 15mg/ED on Monday (relief came almost immediately) — but the earliest blood draw I could get was the following Saturday.

Finally, hindsight being 20/20, I made some plain dumb calls.

1. I might have kept an AI on hand — UpGuys and Teletest both seem stingy about handing out AIs. I'm in a few TG groups now and some guys using those same providers did get AIs. I didn't. It appears to hinge on whichever doctor handles your assessment through the online TRT provider. I'm going to source my own, but I could have sorted that out before any of this happened, and that's what I'd tell anyone else to do. Even if it takes some pushing.

2. I used to make my living in hotel rooms as a utility arborist and I was pretty decent at it. I knew restaurant food wasn't happening, so I upgraded to a kitchenette room and hit the grocery store on day one. Still, I misjudged what I'd need and it went badly with those long days. I also had no rental car, so during 10 hour training days I was stuck and couldn't get back to my room.

3. Someone advised me not to drink much before the blood draw, the reasoning being you want a true baseline without skewing results (especially HCT) so you can see where you genuinely stand. Makes sense on paper, fails in reality. I sat around the clinic for ages, TRT blood work is fasted so there's no food either, and the plain truth is I was dehydrated again when they drew. Don't repeat this — your HCT will read high like mine did. Normally I'm up at 4:45am to fit workouts or a run in before breakfast and then rush to work. Being stuck at the clinic until 11am for a draw is far too long to go without fluids.

The numbers above are at least partly shaped by the higher dose I was on before I lowered it.

One more red herring I had to ask about was my nipples in general. Funny story: about 25 years ago, drunk and bored, I pierced my nipples with a sewing needle. All I had to put in were some earring hoops (curved, not straight), and getting the piercing done and then the hoops in took some effort. Soon after, they started reacting far more than my earlobes ever did, so a few days later I swapped in the proper hardware before they'd healed, which again took some doing. Long story short, my nips are quite sensitive. I feel the faintest breeze, any drop in temperature, and any kind of rubbing is strictly off limits. Whether I'm outfitted with extremely long-range early-warning gyno tits is anyone's guess.

Even with the rough week and my sensitive nips ... I got gyno, lowered my dose, and it cleared up immediately — pretty clear-cut evidence that my estradiol had climbed too high.

So ...

Here's how I understand it (the Rick bot at Anabolic Atlas helped me with this):

My testosterone figures are probably trustworthy — the gap between lowering my dose and the test is likely long enough for the change to show up. I'm probably at the top of the range for TRT. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I was only trying to dial in TRT with an eye toward TRT+ down the road, but I arrived there much sooner than planned because I respond well to exogenous test.

My raised estradiol probably isn't accurate at this moment, since those levels shift more slowly. E2 at 46 is a lagging indicator from before the dose change, plus travel stress and dehydration. Even if it were accurate, my nipples quit hurting right away, and side effects matter more than the number anyway. That figure could easily fall into the 30s by the next draw.

HCT is probably not accurate either. Dehydration by itself is a factor, plus the tirz weight dump and travel. I need to retest in a couple of weeks to find out where it truly sits.

Tirz genuinely matters. Dropping 9lb in a week is aggressive. That pulls fluid out, concentrates blood markers, piles on metabolic stress and lifts cortisol. This panel could easily be a badly timed snapshot.

Recovering from colon cancer plays in too. I'm 9 months out from very poor health and probably nowhere near decent homeostasis. My ferritin was also in single digits, which meant a blood transfusion right before surgery. So I may be over-responding on erythropoiesis and my HCT tolerance could be lower than most people's.

All of the above might read like a pile of cope. If you disagree, say so. Like I said, I had some help with it. Discourse breeds understanding, and even just reading chips away at ignorance. I've got no real reason to want to harm my own health.

What I'm doing: nothing to my dose for now. I'll get ancillaries and some aromasin (though I don't expect to need it anytime soon). I already take a lot of the right vitamins (omega 3, magnesium, zinc, k2+d3, berberine and coq10), but I'm going to quiz the bot on whether these specific ones are good and whether my amounts are right. I also already take daily low-level Tylenol since that's a post colon surgery thing. I've already got some suggestions for others to add.

Additional notes: I'm now on TRT through Teletest. The $49 referral fee covers basic blood work, a doctor reviewing the results, and you get your 12 week test prescription. The included blood work package probably isn't sufficient. I had to pay LifeLabs $90 extra just to add SHBG to the panel. There's a test prescription waiting at my pharmacy, but I haven't finished the original vials from UpGuys. Teletest offers an AAS 'harm reduction' panel that looks far more complete (though it still lacks igf-1 and other markers I might want). I worried they'd frown on me being on TRT and asking for an AAS panel simultaneously, but other Canadians reassured me they'll just take my money. Big caveat: the AAS panel still carries plenty of user-pay portions on top of the $79 sticker price. I'll update when it's actually time for more blood work. Apparently if a Dynacare lab were available, their pricing is far more competitive than LifeLabs. There isn't a single Dynacare clinic even in the lower mainland, never mind the island.

TL;DR disaster averted, TRT good, blood work good-ish, lessons learned

Make sure you skip any cardio for 24 hours prior to your blood test, so your hematocrit doesn't come back high.

Consider taking a DIM supplement to assist with amortization.
 
Turbo-Farmer said:

islandtime50 said:

Alright, it was a wild week, but I figured I'd come back and post an update here in case anyone else is thinking about starting TRT and wants to know how to handle it when things go sideways.

Here's what my labs came back as:

Total testosterone: 32.6nmol/L, which converts to 940 ng/dL — on the high side, though not absurdly so for the top end of TRT.

Free testosterone: 678 pmol/L, or 19.6 ng/dL — fairly high.

Estradiol (E2): 170 pmol/L, equal to 46.3 pg/ml — clearly elevated given this testosterone level. When total T sits at 940, the target zone is roughly 25-35 pg/mL. Hitting 46 tells me aromatization is happening.

Hematocrit: 0.52L/L (52%) — this one worries me the most. 54 is the upper limit.

Hemoglobin: 173g/L, i.e. 17.3 g/dL — raised, consistent with the HCT and not unexpected.

RBC: 5.77 — high, a classic picture of testosterone-driven erythrocytosis.

SHBG: 43.1 — squarely within range.

Remainder of CBC: WBC, platelets and differentials all came back unremarkable.

Now, what I think this adds up to. My current protocol is 15mg of pharma testosterone cypionate every day, totaling 105mg per week. Back when the tingly nipple sensation started, I was running 20mg ED, which added up to 140mg/week.

To start with, that isn't a large dose, and the sides showed up around the 8 week mark — well inside the full saturation window.

Second, that particular week I was staying in a hotel and everything fell apart. I was waking at 3am for early flights, sleeping badly in the hotel bed, eating poorly (relative, sure, but since my December cancer surgery removed most of my colon, eating away from home is genuinely hard for me now), getting no exercise, and I also ended up fairly dehydrated (staying hydrated is something I have to actively manage — I watch my coffee intake, I suspect my absorption isn't what it once was, and tirz is still hitting me hard). I dropped 4.1 kg across that week.

Third, I couldn't get labs drawn right away because I was switching TRT providers, work was slammed, and I simply had no plan for getting a requisition. Where I live in BC, you need a requisition from someone before you can get blood work, and then you have to squeeze into LifeLabs around your job (booking an appointment was impossible, so I ended up going Saturday morning). The takeaway is that the timing distorts the results you're reading. The tingly nipples were definitely there Friday night, I flew home Saturday, and I cut my dose from 20mg/ED down to 15mg/ED on Monday (relief came almost immediately) — but the earliest blood draw I could get was the following Saturday.

Finally, hindsight being 20/20, I made some plain dumb calls.

1. I might have kept an AI on hand — UpGuys and Teletest both seem stingy about handing out AIs. I'm in a few TG groups now and some guys using those same providers did get AIs. I didn't. It appears to hinge on whichever doctor handles your assessment through the online TRT provider. I'm going to source my own, but I could have sorted that out before any of this happened, and that's what I'd tell anyone else to do. Even if it takes some pushing.

2. I used to make my living in hotel rooms as a utility arborist and I was pretty decent at it. I knew restaurant food wasn't happening, so I upgraded to a kitchenette room and hit the grocery store on day one. Still, I misjudged what I'd need and it went badly with those long days. I also had no rental car, so during 10 hour training days I was stuck and couldn't get back to my room.

3. Someone advised me not to drink much before the blood draw, the reasoning being you want a true baseline without skewing results (especially HCT) so you can see where you genuinely stand. Makes sense on paper, fails in reality. I sat around the clinic for ages, TRT blood work is fasted so there's no food either, and the plain truth is I was dehydrated again when they drew. Don't repeat this — your HCT will read high like mine did. Normally I'm up at 4:45am to fit workouts or a run in before breakfast and then rush to work. Being stuck at the clinic until 11am for a draw is far too long to go without fluids.

The numbers above are at least partly shaped by the higher dose I was on before I lowered it.

One more red herring I had to ask about was my nipples in general. Funny story: about 25 years ago, drunk and bored, I pierced my nipples with a sewing needle. All I had to put in were some earring hoops (curved, not straight), and getting the piercing done and then the hoops in took some effort. Soon after, they started reacting far more than my earlobes ever did, so a few days later I swapped in the proper hardware before they'd healed, which again took some doing. Long story short, my nips are quite sensitive. I feel the faintest breeze, any drop in temperature, and any kind of rubbing is strictly off limits. Whether I'm outfitted with extremely long-range early-warning gyno tits is anyone's guess.

Even with the rough week and my sensitive nips ... I got gyno, lowered my dose, and it cleared up immediately — pretty clear-cut evidence that my estradiol had climbed too high.

So ...

Here's how I understand it (the Rick bot at Anabolic Atlas helped me with this):

My testosterone figures are probably trustworthy — the gap between lowering my dose and the test is likely long enough for the change to show up. I'm probably at the top of the range for TRT. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I was only trying to dial in TRT with an eye toward TRT+ down the road, but I arrived there much sooner than planned because I respond well to exogenous test.

My raised estradiol probably isn't accurate at this moment, since those levels shift more slowly. E2 at 46 is a lagging indicator from before the dose change, plus travel stress and dehydration. Even if it were accurate, my nipples quit hurting right away, and side effects matter more than the number anyway. That figure could easily fall into the 30s by the next draw.

HCT is probably not accurate either. Dehydration by itself is a factor, plus the tirz weight dump and travel. I need to retest in a couple of weeks to find out where it truly sits.

Tirz genuinely matters. Dropping 9lb in a week is aggressive. That pulls fluid out, concentrates blood markers, piles on metabolic stress and lifts cortisol. This panel could easily be a badly timed snapshot.

Recovering from colon cancer plays in too. I'm 9 months out from very poor health and probably nowhere near decent homeostasis. My ferritin was also in single digits, which meant a blood transfusion right before surgery. So I may be over-responding on erythropoiesis and my HCT tolerance could be lower than most people's.

All of the above might read like a pile of cope. If you disagree, say so. Like I said, I had some help with it. Discourse breeds understanding, and even just reading chips away at ignorance. I've got no real reason to want to harm my own health.

What I'm doing: nothing to my dose for now. I'll get ancillaries and some aromasin (though I don't expect to need it anytime soon). I already take a lot of the right vitamins (omega 3, magnesium, zinc, k2+d3, berberine and coq10), but I'm going to quiz the bot on whether these specific ones are good and whether my amounts are right. I also already take daily low-level Tylenol since that's a post colon surgery thing. I've already got some suggestions for others to add.

Additional notes: I'm now on TRT through Teletest. The $49 referral fee covers basic blood work, a doctor reviewing the results, and you get your 12 week test prescription. The included blood work package probably isn't sufficient. I had to pay LifeLabs $90 extra just to add SHBG to the panel. There's a test prescription waiting at my pharmacy, but I haven't finished the original vials from UpGuys. Teletest offers an AAS 'harm reduction' panel that looks far more complete (though it still lacks igf-1 and other markers I might want). I worried they'd frown on me being on TRT and asking for an AAS panel simultaneously, but other Canadians reassured me they'll just take my money. Big caveat: the AAS panel still carries plenty of user-pay portions on top of the $79 sticker price. I'll update when it's actually time for more blood work. Apparently if a Dynacare lab were available, their pricing is far more competitive than LifeLabs. There isn't a single Dynacare clinic even in the lower mainland, never mind the island.

TL;DR disaster averted, TRT good, blood work good-ish, lessons learned

Make sure you skip any cardio for 24 hours prior to your blood test, so your hematocrit doesn't come back high.

Consider taking a DIM supplement to assist with amortization.
Found that out through experience — a 2 hour session the day prior raised my level by about 3 points.
 
Redz said:

Turbo-Farmer said:

islandtime50 said:

Alright, it was a wild week, but I figured I'd come back and post an update here in case anyone else is thinking about starting TRT and wants to know how to handle it when things go sideways.

Here's what my labs came back as:

Total testosterone: 32.6nmol/L, which converts to 940 ng/dL — on the high side, though not absurdly so for the top end of TRT.

Free testosterone: 678 pmol/L, or 19.6 ng/dL — fairly high.

Estradiol (E2): 170 pmol/L, equal to 46.3 pg/ml — clearly elevated given this testosterone level. When total T sits at 940, the target zone is roughly 25-35 pg/mL. Hitting 46 tells me aromatization is happening.

Hematocrit: 0.52L/L (52%) — this one worries me the most. 54 is the upper limit.

Hemoglobin: 173g/L, i.e. 17.3 g/dL — raised, consistent with the HCT and not unexpected.

RBC: 5.77 — high, a classic picture of testosterone-driven erythrocytosis.

SHBG: 43.1 — squarely within range.

Remainder of CBC: WBC, platelets and differentials all came back unremarkable.

Now, what I think this adds up to. My current protocol is 15mg of pharma testosterone cypionate every day, totaling 105mg per week. Back when the tingly nipple sensation started, I was running 20mg ED, which added up to 140mg/week.

To start with, that isn't a large dose, and the sides showed up around the 8 week mark — well inside the full saturation window.

Second, that particular week I was staying in a hotel and everything fell apart. I was waking at 3am for early flights, sleeping badly in the hotel bed, eating poorly (relative, sure, but since my December cancer surgery removed most of my colon, eating away from home is genuinely hard for me now), getting no exercise, and I also ended up fairly dehydrated (staying hydrated is something I have to actively manage — I watch my coffee intake, I suspect my absorption isn't what it once was, and tirz is still hitting me hard). I dropped 4.1 kg across that week.

Third, I couldn't get labs drawn right away because I was switching TRT providers, work was slammed, and I simply had no plan for getting a requisition. Where I live in BC, you need a requisition from someone before you can get blood work, and then you have to squeeze into LifeLabs around your job (booking an appointment was impossible, so I ended up going Saturday morning). The takeaway is that the timing distorts the results you're reading. The tingly nipples were definitely there Friday night, I flew home Saturday, and I cut my dose from 20mg/ED down to 15mg/ED on Monday (relief came almost immediately) — but the earliest blood draw I could get was the following Saturday.

Finally, hindsight being 20/20, I made some plain dumb calls.

1. I might have kept an AI on hand — UpGuys and Teletest both seem stingy about handing out AIs. I'm in a few TG groups now and some guys using those same providers did get AIs. I didn't. It appears to hinge on whichever doctor handles your assessment through the online TRT provider. I'm going to source my own, but I could have sorted that out before any of this happened, and that's what I'd tell anyone else to do. Even if it takes some pushing.

2. I used to make my living in hotel rooms as a utility arborist and I was pretty decent at it. I knew restaurant food wasn't happening, so I upgraded to a kitchenette room and hit the grocery store on day one. Still, I misjudged what I'd need and it went badly with those long days. I also had no rental car, so during 10 hour training days I was stuck and couldn't get back to my room.

3. Someone advised me not to drink much before the blood draw, the reasoning being you want a true baseline without skewing results (especially HCT) so you can see where you genuinely stand. Makes sense on paper, fails in reality. I sat around the clinic for ages, TRT blood work is fasted so there's no food either, and the plain truth is I was dehydrated again when they drew. Don't repeat this — your HCT will read high like mine did. Normally I'm up at 4:45am to fit workouts or a run in before breakfast and then rush to work. Being stuck at the clinic until 11am for a draw is far too long to go without fluids.

The numbers above are at least partly shaped by the higher dose I was on before I lowered it.

One more red herring I had to ask about was my nipples in general. Funny story: about 25 years ago, drunk and bored, I pierced my nipples with a sewing needle. All I had to put in were some earring hoops (curved, not straight), and getting the piercing done and then the hoops in took some effort. Soon after, they started reacting far more than my earlobes ever did, so a few days later I swapped in the proper hardware before they'd healed, which again took some doing. Long story short, my nips are quite sensitive. I feel the faintest breeze, any drop in temperature, and any kind of rubbing is strictly off limits. Whether I'm outfitted with extremely long-range early-warning gyno tits is anyone's guess.

Even with the rough week and my sensitive nips ... I got gyno, lowered my dose, and it cleared up immediately — pretty clear-cut evidence that my estradiol had climbed too high.

So ...

Here's how I understand it (the Rick bot at Anabolic Atlas helped me with this):

My testosterone figures are probably trustworthy — the gap between lowering my dose and the test is likely long enough for the change to show up. I'm probably at the top of the range for TRT. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I was only trying to dial in TRT with an eye toward TRT+ down the road, but I arrived there much sooner than planned because I respond well to exogenous test.

My raised estradiol probably isn't accurate at this moment, since those levels shift more slowly. E2 at 46 is a lagging indicator from before the dose change, plus travel stress and dehydration. Even if it were accurate, my nipples quit hurting right away, and side effects matter more than the number anyway. That figure could easily fall into the 30s by the next draw.

HCT is probably not accurate either. Dehydration by itself is a factor, plus the tirz weight dump and travel. I need to retest in a couple of weeks to find out where it truly sits.

Tirz genuinely matters. Dropping 9lb in a week is aggressive. That pulls fluid out, concentrates blood markers, piles on metabolic stress and lifts cortisol. This panel could easily be a badly timed snapshot.

Recovering from colon cancer plays in too. I'm 9 months out from very poor health and probably nowhere near decent homeostasis. My ferritin was also in single digits, which meant a blood transfusion right before surgery. So I may be over-responding on erythropoiesis and my HCT tolerance could be lower than most people's.

All of the above might read like a pile of cope. If you disagree, say so. Like I said, I had some help with it. Discourse breeds understanding, and even just reading chips away at ignorance. I've got no real reason to want to harm my own health.

What I'm doing: nothing to my dose for now. I'll get ancillaries and some aromasin (though I don't expect to need it anytime soon). I already take a lot of the right vitamins (omega 3, magnesium, zinc, k2+d3, berberine and coq10), but I'm going to quiz the bot on whether these specific ones are good and whether my amounts are right. I also already take daily low-level Tylenol since that's a post colon surgery thing. I've already got some suggestions for others to add.

Additional notes: I'm now on TRT through Teletest. The $49 referral fee covers basic blood work, a doctor reviewing the results, and you get your 12 week test prescription. The included blood work package probably isn't sufficient. I had to pay LifeLabs $90 extra just to add SHBG to the panel. There's a test prescription waiting at my pharmacy, but I haven't finished the original vials from UpGuys. Teletest offers an AAS 'harm reduction' panel that looks far more complete (though it still lacks igf-1 and other markers I might want). I worried they'd frown on me being on TRT and asking for an AAS panel simultaneously, but other Canadians reassured me they'll just take my money. Big caveat: the AAS panel still carries plenty of user-pay portions on top of the $79 sticker price. I'll update when it's actually time for more blood work. Apparently if a Dynacare lab were available, their pricing is far more competitive than LifeLabs. There isn't a single Dynacare clinic even in the lower mainland, never mind the island.

TL;DR disaster averted, TRT good, blood work good-ish, lessons learned

Make sure you skip any cardio for 24 hours prior to your blood test, so your hematocrit doesn't come back high.

Consider taking a DIM supplement to assist with amortization.
Found that out through experience — a 2 hour session the day prior raised my level by about 3 points.
Mine did the same thing—it climbed from 48 up to 54 after I went on a 1/2 hour run just before having my blood drawn.
 
Appreciate the replies, everyone. I skipped my run that morning. The previous day I did go, but that falls outside the 24hr window, so no issue there (though I had to pull up my Garmin to confirm). What I did do was light cardio the night before — LISS cardio, at night.

As for the DIM supplement, I'm not really sold on it. Since dropping my dose, I'm definitely under my own personal threshold. If and when I bump it back up, I'll keep an AI on hand.
 
When I check hematocrit, I prefer to draw around noon so I can be properly hydrated.

If you have other tests that require fasting, that can be a pain.

Hydration makes a massive difference. I once went first thing in the morning and my result came back at 53%. Two days later, I retested after noon and well hydrated, and it dropped to 47%, which is my usual level.
 
Back
Top