New sleep drug trial draws attention

cygnus

Explorer
Joined
Dec 16, 2025
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
Phoenix/Arizona/United States
BMB-101

In phase 2 trials, it produced a major rise in the amount of REM sleep.

A new drug in the middle of clinical trials just increased REM sleep by 90% without making people sleep longer!

This is the first medication ever to specifically enhance REM only and the implications go far beyond seizure control.

Here's what just happened. 🧵 pic.twitter.com/2Htew1CbcD

— drMAWZ (@TheDrMAWZ) January 9, 2026

View: https://⚠scam Site⚠️/TheDrMAWZ/status/2009622195358843260

for discussion about this drug in the thread. The interesting part is that total sleep duration stays the same, yet the overall quality of sleep shifts.
 
For me, getting good rest matters more than how many hours I clock. It is only lately that my sleep has improved.
 
I want to boost my deep sleep, yet the graphic that was shared (the BMB-101 side) contains nothing about deep sleep. Has anybody come across anything about deep sleep?
 
I'm not writing it off, but DSIP made the same sort of claim — a big boost to deep sleep. After that came Epitalon, then magnesium L-threonate, and now this. Consider me unconvinced. 😄
 
The initial phase 1 and 2 human trials are investigating this drug for absence seizures. However, Wikipedia mentions it is also being developed for multiple other conditions, among them binge eating disorder. I'm curious about how it might influence mood. Many antidepressants suppress REM sleep, and sleep deprivation is believed to lift mood by cutting down REM sleep too.
 
lessthanhalf said:

The initial phase 1 and 2 human trials are investigating this drug for absence seizures. However, Wikipedia mentions it is also being developed for multiple other conditions, among them binge eating disorder. I'm curious about how it might influence mood. Many antidepressants suppress REM sleep, and sleep deprivation is believed to lift mood by cutting down REM sleep too.
Does losing sleep make mood better? That's not how it works for me. Getting under 7 hours leaves me feeling awful.
 
cheaperseeker said:

lessthanhalf said:

The initial phase 1 and 2 human trials are investigating this drug for absence seizures. However, Wikipedia mentions it is also being developed for multiple other conditions, among them binge eating disorder. I'm curious about how it might influence mood. Many antidepressants suppress REM sleep, and sleep deprivation is believed to lift mood by cutting down REM sleep too.
Does losing sleep make mood better? That's not how it works for me. Getting under 7 hours leaves me feeling awful.
When it comes to my mood, sleep deprivation is honestly one of the biggest levers I've found
 
I'm skeptical that simply being short on sleep lifts mood — practically everyone gets irritable when they're overtired. There's been a fair amount of research in severe depressive illness states, where a single night of very little sleep can brighten mood the following day, though that isn't really practical.

Since binge eating disorder has so few effective options — with only lisdexamphetamine approved — and GLP's very likely do help, I'm not sure there's enough proof yet for doctors to recommend them. Still, watching what becomes of BMB-101 could be worthwhile: anything that truly supports long-term eating control matters enormously for obesity treatment, if it even reaches trials for that indication.
 
I've experimented with several peptides for sleep: epitalon, DSIP, and selank. On the OTC side, I've used L-theanine, L-tryptophan, and HTP. Tracking with my Oura ring and a sleep journal, I took each one by itself for a 1-week stretch.

DSIP, epitalon, and selank didn't boost my REM or deep sleep at all. The one effect epitalon had was helping me stay asleep longer.

With L-theanine and L-tryptophan, I could get to sleep and remain asleep more easily, yet neither produced a real shift in REM or deep sleep.

Trazadone is the thing that has actually delivered. Each night I'm logging roughly 2 hours of deep sleep and 3 hours of REM, and I'm waking up feeling rested for the first time in years.

I'm eager for the medication in your link to finish its trials, thanks for sharing it. To me, after hydration and nutrition, quality sleep is the most powerful lever we have for better health outcomes. Thanks for sharing🙂
 
Back
Top