Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
Grogu said:
It never fails to amuse me when these "news" sites cover glp-1 use as though it were some brand-new discovery. The clinical trial looking at OA knee pain and sema came out 18 months back…
https://www.nejm.org/doi/abs/10.1056/NEJMoa2403664
jw717us said:
... I sit at the center of the Venn diagram for several and I am following closely. Last year was impact to heart issues above and beyond what can be counted on based on weight loss alone. .....
Click to expand...
Speaking from my own journey: it's been roughly 9 months now and I'm down 49 pounds. My BMi has just gone below 26. Body fat went from 26 and change down to 18.5, and I picked up muscle along the way.Zydeceltico said:
Same....and I am also following closely with vested interest.
Click to expand...
jw717us said:
Grogu said:
It never fails to amuse me when these "news" sites cover glp-1 use as though it were some brand-new discovery. The clinical trial looking at OA knee pain and sema came out 18 months back…
https://www.nejm.org/doi/abs/10.1056/NEJMoa2403664
To me, those two things aren't really the same at all. The trial you brought up, which Novo paid for, ties weight reduction to better OA outcomes. That hardly comes as a surprise, since the usual line is that for each pound you drop, the load on your knee joint falls by roughly 4 pounds. So losing any amount of weight should ease pain to some degree.
What the newer study does is draw a different kind of connection, suggesting GLP drugs are doing something we don't fully grasp yet. I happen to fall right in the middle of the Venn diagram on multiple counts, so I'm watching this closely. Last year it was the effect on heart problems that went past what weight loss alone could explain. This one hints at OA gains beyond weight loss alone, plus the bonus of cartilage remodeling, which earlier studies never showed.
Grogu said:
jw717us said:
Grogu said:
It never fails to amuse me when these "news" sites cover glp-1 use as though it were some brand-new discovery. The clinical trial looking at OA knee pain and sema came out 18 months back…
https://www.nejm.org/doi/abs/10.1056/NEJMoa2403664
To me, those two things aren't really the same at all. The trial you brought up, which Novo paid for, ties weight reduction to better OA outcomes. That hardly comes as a surprise, since the usual line is that for each pound you drop, the load on your knee joint falls by roughly 4 pounds. So losing any amount of weight should ease pain to some degree.
What the newer study does is draw a different kind of connection, suggesting GLP drugs are doing something we don't fully grasp yet. I happen to fall right in the middle of the Venn diagram on multiple counts, so I'm watching this closely. Last year it was the effect on heart problems that went past what weight loss alone could explain. This one hints at OA gains beyond weight loss alone, plus the bonus of cartilage remodeling, which earlier studies never showed.
Appreciate it! After taking another look at this study, I realize it isn't the one that was on my mind. I'll need to dig back through and try to track down the research article I was actually recalling. Maybe what I was remembering was OSA rather than OA — though I was fairly sure it covered both.
My recollection was that it makes sense for OSA and OA to improve alongside weight reduction, and I wondered how the researchers could separate how much of the benefit came from losing weight versus how much did not.
Grogu said:
It never fails to amuse me when these "news" sites cover glp-1 use as though it were some brand-new discovery. The clinical trial looking at OA knee pain and sema came out 18 months back…
https://www.nejm.org/doi/abs/10.1056/NEJMoa2403664
This list caught my attention, particularly the part about arthritis pain! Weight loss isn't something I need, so I worry about losing too much or something like that, but these benefits sound amazing. My knees have been bad since my teenage years, and the situation has only gotten worse. Which one did you use to get those benefits?oldrunnerguy said:
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
1. A1C goes down.
2. Lipids look better.
3. Arthritis pain is less.
4. The compulsion to binge on chocolate drops substantially.
5. My scale shows a lower visceral fat percentage.
6. Alzheimer's disease risk is lower.
7. Risk of adverse cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, etc.) is lower.
8. Blood pressure is down.
9. Colorectal cancer risk is reduced.
10. By far the least significant for me: body weight is reduced. Losing weight isn't something I need, but since I'm a vain person, I look pretty good in the mirror.
Anyone else is welcome to add reasons.
I'm on Reta at the moment, and I'm getting ready to make the change over to Tirz.Crumplestiltskin said:
This list caught my attention, particularly the part about arthritis pain! Weight loss isn't something I need, so I worry about losing too much or something like that, but these benefits sound amazing. My knees have been bad since my teenage years, and the situation has only gotten worse. Which one did you use to get those benefits?oldrunnerguy said:
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
1. A1C goes down.
2. Lipids look better.
3. Arthritis pain is less.
4. The compulsion to binge on chocolate drops substantially.
5. My scale shows a lower visceral fat percentage.
6. Alzheimer's disease risk is lower.
7. Risk of adverse cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, etc.) is lower.
8. Blood pressure is down.
9. Colorectal cancer risk is reduced.
10. By far the least significant for me: body weight is reduced. Losing weight isn't something I need, but since I'm a vain person, I look pretty good in the mirror.
Anyone else is welcome to add reasons.
Can I ask what's behind that? A lot of people move the opposite way, switching from Tirz to Reta. The Phase 3 results for Reta and osteoarthritis looked very promising.oldrunnerguy said:
I'm on Reta at the moment, and I'm getting ready to make the change over to Tirz.Crumplestiltskin said:
This list caught my attention, particularly the part about arthritis pain! Weight loss isn't something I need, so I worry about losing too much or something like that, but these benefits sound amazing. My knees have been bad since my teenage years, and the situation has only gotten worse. Which one did you use to get those benefits?oldrunnerguy said:
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
1. A1C goes down.
2. Lipids look better.
3. Arthritis pain is less.
4. The compulsion to binge on chocolate drops substantially.
5. My scale shows a lower visceral fat percentage.
6. Alzheimer's disease risk is lower.
7. Risk of adverse cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, etc.) is lower.
8. Blood pressure is down.
9. Colorectal cancer risk is reduced.
10. By far the least significant for me: body weight is reduced. Losing weight isn't something I need, but since I'm a vain person, I look pretty good in the mirror.
Anyone else is welcome to add reasons.
In this research, OA was studied using a mouse model, and the authors suggest that glp1 offers protection by switching on a pathway within chondrocytes. If chondrocytes do carry glp1 receptors, then any medication capable of activating glp1 ought to trigger that same pathway and deliver comparable benefits.SoCalGirl said:
Do you think this is semiglutide-specific, or will RETA and TIRZ also work?
It's truly remarkable how many different ways these GLP-1 medications seem to benefit people.oldrunnerguy said:
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
1. A1C goes down.
2. Lipids look better.
3. Arthritis pain is less.
4. The compulsion to binge on chocolate drops substantially.
5. My scale shows a lower visceral fat percentage.
6. Alzheimer's disease risk is lower.
7. Risk of adverse cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, etc.) is lower.
8. Blood pressure is down.
9. Colorectal cancer risk is reduced.
10. By far the least significant for me: body weight is reduced. Losing weight isn't something I need, but since I'm a vain person, I look pretty good in the mirror.
Anyone else is welcome to add reasons.
Because Ret wasn't controlling my appetite anymore, I went back to Tirz.Dogmandu said:
Can I ask what's behind that? A lot of people move the opposite way, switching from Tirz to Reta. The Phase 3 results for Reta and osteoarthritis looked very promising.oldrunnerguy said:
I'm on Reta at the moment, and I'm getting ready to make the change over to Tirz.Crumplestiltskin said:
This list caught my attention, particularly the part about arthritis pain! Weight loss isn't something I need, so I worry about losing too much or something like that, but these benefits sound amazing. My knees have been bad since my teenage years, and the situation has only gotten worse. Which one did you use to get those benefits?oldrunnerguy said:
There's now one more item on my personal list of reasons for using a GLP1. Here's what I have so far, in no specific order:
1. A1C goes down.
2. Lipids look better.
3. Arthritis pain is less.
4. The compulsion to binge on chocolate drops substantially.
5. My scale shows a lower visceral fat percentage.
6. Alzheimer's disease risk is lower.
7. Risk of adverse cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, etc.) is lower.
8. Blood pressure is down.
9. Colorectal cancer risk is reduced.
10. By far the least significant for me: body weight is reduced. Losing weight isn't something I need, but since I'm a vain person, I look pretty good in the mirror.
Anyone else is welcome to add reasons.
That angle interests me a lot as well. Is the effect more along the lines of an anti-inflammatory action, or is there genuine repair happening?Ragnar said:
This research is excellent and carries genuine clinical weight. What it brings to the surface is whether halting GLP-1 use causes the weight-independent advantages to disappear.
If a follow-up study were to examine that question, it would support the position that GLP-1 therapy ought to continue for osteoarthritis management even once the weight target has been reached.