Negative reaction to fried food while on Tirz/Reta

Ajejebrazorf

Explorer
Joined
Apr 23, 2026
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Italy
Had a rough time — the second occasion I ate fried food, and on both instances I came close to fainting, broke out in sweat, and felt lightheaded and weak. Has anyone else gone through this? It frightened me a lot, and I assumed it was my glucose, so stacking Reta on top was a mistake, it appears to affect glucose more strongly than Tirz alone.
 
Yep, that's among the major no-nos they specifically warn against consuming. It can even land you in the hospital, potentially. And alcohol is likely the absolute worst offender too. Though naturally it all depends on quantity. Figured I could sneak in a few wings. Wrong. Stomach turmoil for a full 24 hours.
 
quicksilver80 said:

Yep, that's among the major no-nos they specifically warn against consuming. It can even land you in the hospital, potentially. And alcohol is likely the absolute worst offender too. Though naturally it all depends on quantity. Figured I could sneak in a few wings. Wrong. Stomach turmoil for a full 24 hours.
I gave alcohol a try one time and it was awful—and I used to drink heavily. Just a couple of glasses in, my legs started trembling. Fortunately, Tirz eliminated my desire for alcohol, which is fantastic. The reaction to fried food felt nearly identical: lightheaded, then perspiring, plus panic. Horrible. Whey protein does it too, slightly less upsetting but it definitely impacts glucose by spiking insulin quickly. I've been on Tirz for 6 weeks now, and there's constantly more to learn.
 
I've been taking tirz for close to 12 months, and I still haven't eaten any fried items since the smell alone makes me nauseous. I had to grab an order for an event from a restaurant with a menu full of fried dishes, and just inhaling the air there made me struggle to keep from throwing up. My goodness, I adore tirz so much.
 
Honestly, I can't see a strong rationale for fatty meals having much of an impact on insulin or glucose. Protein might nudge glucose up slightly, though its glycemic index tends to sit near zero, so that doesn't explain things either. As for what's triggering these symptoms, I'm at a loss — it comes across somewhat like nausea minus the nausea, or maybe gallstone discomfort minus the discomfort, since both are fairly plausible reactions to high fat meals, particularly when someone is on GLP's. Still, I doubt glucose or insulin play much of a role. For close to 4 years now, I don't believe I've consumed anything with a high fat content, and while on GLP's I simply have no desire to. The usual advice on GLP's is to steer clear of big or fatty meals, but that's typically aimed at cutting down nausea as a side effect.
 
During my first 2 months, I often had gut pains, plus the usual gas and bloating. A lot of whey protein was part of my routine, and that surely triggered it. Fatty meals left me feeling queasy a few times too. But after I introduced Reta alongside the Tirz—starting in month 3 and continuing into month 5—the indigestion, bloating, and slow stomach all disappeared.
 
Ajejebrazorf said:

quicksilver80 said:

Yep, that's among the major no-nos they specifically warn against consuming. It can even land you in the hospital, potentially. And alcohol is likely the absolute worst offender too. Though naturally it all depends on quantity. Figured I could sneak in a few wings. Wrong. Stomach turmoil for a full 24 hours.
I gave alcohol a try one time and it was awful—and I used to drink heavily. Just a couple of glasses in, my legs started trembling. Fortunately, Tirz eliminated my desire for alcohol, which is fantastic. The reaction to fried food felt nearly identical: lightheaded, then perspiring, plus panic. Horrible. Whey protein does it too, slightly less upsetting but it definitely impacts glucose by spiking insulin quickly. I've been on Tirz for 6 weeks now, and there's constantly more to learn.

Because these medications delay how quickly the stomach empties, everything you listed—alcohol, fats—now gets digested quite differently in your stomach. With alcohol, absorption in the stomach is stretched out over a longer period. In the same way, fats create a slippery path for leaving and may form a coating over the stomach. Pay attention to what your body is signaling: it wants you to quit.
 
Saw a mention that fatty or fried meals can set off a vagal response — it shows up like hypoglycemia, with sweating and dizziness, and then the body interprets that as panic.
 
“A big, slow-digesting load of greasy food in the stomach can trigger the vagus nerve, which then causes parasympathetic overactivity. This vagal reaction may show up as lightheadedness that comes on suddenly, nausea, sweating, and heart palpitations soon after a meal.”
 
A buddy of mine weighed over 350 lbs when he began. Around week 3, his birthday rolled around. His wife cooked up his go-to dish: chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, plus a few other sides. He went back for 2 helpings of the CFS and later said the stomach trouble he got in return was brutal.

I've been telling folks that Rta pushes you toward eating clean!
 
Ajejebrazorf said:

“A big, slow-digesting load of greasy food in the stomach can trigger the vagus nerve, which then causes parasympathetic overactivity. This vagal reaction may show up as lightheadedness that comes on suddenly, nausea, sweating, and heart palpitations soon after a meal.”
On days when my period is at its heaviest, this happens to me.
 
I had literally just claimed that high-fat meals don’t give me any trouble. Then I went ahead and got a really greasy burger, finished only 50% of it, and sure enough I ended up with a slight unsettled stomach. My intention was to stop at half anyway, and it seems my gut agreed with that plan.
 
Either your diet changes, or the injections end. That sounds rough, and I'm sorry it happened. Ideally, you can treat it as a learning experience. Just so you know, I'm clearly a slow learner—I've paid for it repeatedly with both fried food and alcohol. In the beginning, and occasionally since, I could sometimes get away with it. These days, I don't take the chance at all.
 
oldjarhead said:

Either your diet changes, or the injections end. That sounds rough, and I'm sorry it happened. Ideally, you can treat it as a learning experience. Just so you know, I'm clearly a slow learner—I've paid for it repeatedly with both fried food and alcohol. In the beginning, and occasionally since, I could sometimes get away with it. These days, I don't take the chance at all.
Life is all about testing things out and seeing what works, haha—drinks are off the table for me now, and greasy meals too. This is a fresh chapter, and I'm enjoying it.
 
Ajejebrazorf said:

oldjarhead said:

Either your diet changes, or the injections end. That sounds rough, and I'm sorry it happened. Ideally, you can treat it as a learning experience. Just so you know, I'm clearly a slow learner—I've paid for it repeatedly with both fried food and alcohol. In the beginning, and occasionally since, I could sometimes get away with it. These days, I don't take the chance at all.
Life is all about testing things out and seeing what works, haha—drinks are off the table for me now, and greasy meals too. This is a fresh chapter, and I'm enjoying it.
Testing things out with Italian cuisine sounds great to me.

Given how tiny my appetite has become lately, I'd happily have Parmigiano with every meal and just antipasti — that alone would satisfy me.
 
eidos said:

Ajejebrazorf said:

oldjarhead said:

Either your diet changes, or the injections end. That sounds rough, and I'm sorry it happened. Ideally, you can treat it as a learning experience. Just so you know, I'm clearly a slow learner—I've paid for it repeatedly with both fried food and alcohol. In the beginning, and occasionally since, I could sometimes get away with it. These days, I don't take the chance at all.
Life is all about testing things out and seeing what works, haha—drinks are off the table for me now, and greasy meals too. This is a fresh chapter, and I'm enjoying it.
Testing things out with Italian cuisine sounds great to me.

Given how tiny my appetite has become lately, I'd happily have Parmigiano with every meal and just antipasti — that alone would satisfy me.
Hehe, I’ll admit it: sticking to a diet while on Tirz in Italy is simple and delicious, with tons of options even when eating out. My job has me traveling constantly, and in plenty of places it’s extremely difficult to find suitable food.
 
Ice cream, alcohol, and fatty items remain on my menu — the only change is that my portions are smaller. Reactions vary from person to person. If just a few french fries had me gagging, I'd likely be jumping off this ride fast 😅
 
fatjacked said:

Ice cream, alcohol, and fatty items remain on my menu — the only change is that my portions are smaller. Reactions vary from person to person. If just a few french fries had me gagging, I'd likely be jumping off this ride fast 😅
Same here, I've had good fortune as well — ribs, wings, brisket, the kinds of foods that give certain folks trouble, and not one of them has bothered me. I only have small amounts of those items, but so far none have knocked me down. Yet.
 
Back
Top