My plan for tapering off Reta and other GLP-1s

Omxxl

Explorer
Joined
Mar 6, 2026
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Location
Europa
Coming off Retatrutide takes months and has to be done to a plan. I won't begin before summer is over, but here's the protocol I've put together for tapering off Retatrutide — tell me what you reckon.

Things to keep in mind:

Retatrutide has a half-life of 6 days, so quitting cold turkey leaves a fading residual effect for 3-4 weeks (there is no "clean break").

Appetite has been suppressed for months and comes back slowly. True (homeostatic) hunger arrives before sensory satiety does, so satiety signals need relearning.

Leptin and ghrelin climb back to their usual levels 4-8 weeks after the last dose. Let intake run loose over that window and weight regain is basically assured.

Nutrition while tapering:

Macros stay put (don't change):

Protein: 180-200 g/day (never go below this; it covers satiety and muscle retention).

Carbs: 200-250 g/day.

Fat: 70-80 g/day.

Fiber: 35-40 g/day (the key to feeling full without restricting food).

Ways to feel full without leaning on restriction:

Bulk with no calories: big salads, broth-based soups, generous vegetables alongside every main meal. They stretch the stomach and switch on mechanical satiety.

Protein first: work through the protein, then the vegetables, then the carbs. That order drives satiety hormones (PYY, CCK) harder than doing it backwards.

Eat at set times: appetite hormones sync to routine. 5 meals/day, always at the same hours, keeps random hunger pangs away.

Fluids: minimum 3 L of water/day. Thirst gets misread as hunger, particularly once appetite is back after months of suppression.

Coffee and tea: caffeine blunts appetite a little. 2-3 cups daily are on your side for 5-10 weeks.

Soluble fiber before eating: 5 g of psyllium or glucomannan 20 minutes ahead of the main meal. It triggers gastric satiety — the nearest thing to copying part of what Reta does, minus the drug.

Extras to add while withdrawing:

Keep doing everything you already take, and add the following across the 12 weeks:

Berberine 500 mg x 2-3/day alongside meals. It sharpens insulin sensitivity, standing in for part of what Reta does for blood sugar.

Glucomannan 1 g before lunch and before dinner. More mechanical satiety.

L-tyrosine 500 mg on an empty stomach. It backs thyroid and dopamine — Reta acts on the dopaminergic system, and some people get a mild, passing flatness when it's withdrawn, where tyrosine helps.

Chromium picolinate 200 mcg/day. It takes the edge off carb cravings.
 
Omxxl said:

Coming off Retatrutide takes months and has to be done to a plan. I won't begin before summer is over, but here's the protocol I've put together for tapering off Retatrutide — tell me what you reckon.

Things to keep in mind:

Retatrutide has a half-life of 6 days, so quitting cold turkey leaves a fading residual effect for 3-4 weeks (there is no "clean break").

Appetite has been suppressed for months and comes back slowly. True (homeostatic) hunger arrives before sensory satiety does, so satiety signals need relearning.

Leptin and ghrelin climb back to their usual levels 4-8 weeks after the last dose. Let intake run loose over that window and weight regain is basically assured.

Nutrition while tapering:

Macros stay put (don't change):

Protein: 180-200 g/day (never go below this; it covers satiety and muscle retention).

Carbs: 200-250 g/day.

Fat: 70-80 g/day.

Fiber: 35-40 g/day (the key to feeling full without restricting food).

Ways to feel full without leaning on restriction:

Bulk with no calories: big salads, broth-based soups, generous vegetables alongside every main meal. They stretch the stomach and switch on mechanical satiety.

Protein first: work through the protein, then the vegetables, then the carbs. That order drives satiety hormones (PYY, CCK) harder than doing it backwards.

Eat at set times: appetite hormones sync to routine. 5 meals/day, always at the same hours, keeps random hunger pangs away.

Fluids: minimum 3 L of water/day. Thirst gets misread as hunger, particularly once appetite is back after months of suppression.

Coffee and tea: caffeine blunts appetite a little. 2-3 cups daily are on your side for 5-10 weeks.

Soluble fiber before eating: 5 g of psyllium or glucomannan 20 minutes ahead of the main meal. It triggers gastric satiety — the nearest thing to copying part of what Reta does, minus the drug.

Extras to add while withdrawing:

Keep doing everything you already take, and add the following across the 12 weeks:

Berberine 500 mg x 2-3/day alongside meals. It sharpens insulin sensitivity, standing in for part of what Reta does for blood sugar.

Glucomannan 1 g before lunch and before dinner. More mechanical satiety.

L-tyrosine 500 mg on an empty stomach. It backs thyroid and dopamine — Reta acts on the dopaminergic system, and some people get a mild, passing flatness when it's withdrawn, where tyrosine helps.

Chromium picolinate 200 mcg/day. It takes the edge off carb cravings.
For someone at my weight of 84 kg, these carbohydrate, protein, and other measurements apply.
 
I have no idea, but that's not something I'll stress over anytime soon. I plan to keep doing a weekly maintenance injection.
 
BNLFL said:

I have no idea, but that's not something I'll stress over anytime soon. I plan to keep doing a weekly maintenance injection.
I'll take a break for several months, then resume in cycles; my 700 mg of reta needs to be used up hahaha
 
Omxxl said:

BNLFL said:

I have no idea, but that's not something I'll stress over anytime soon. I plan to keep doing a weekly maintenance injection.
I'll take a break for several months, then resume in cycles; my 700 mg of reta needs to be used up hahaha
I've got 11 times that amount.
 
Right now I'm taking a 3 week pause, and I'll be starting up again before long. What's the reason for quitting instead of just lowering the dose? Is it because of side effects, or because you hit your targets?
 
Waterheater said:

Right now I'm taking a 3 week pause, and I'll be starting up again before long. What's the reason for quitting instead of just lowering the dose? Is it because of side effects, or because you hit your targets?
I'm nearly at my target
 
That seems sensible, but it looks like far more work than just staying on a modest dose for the rest of my life.
 
How things turn out probably hinges on your starting point before reta. For a bodybuilder at a normal weight who took reta as part of a "cut", I'd guess this method works nicely and lets you put on muscle while bulking. But if obesity came before reta, then my guess is you've picked a route that sends you back toward obesity faster than most.
 
tubby said:

How things turn out probably hinges on your starting point before reta. For a bodybuilder at a normal weight who took reta as part of a "cut", I'd guess this method works nicely and lets you put on muscle while bulking. But if obesity came before reta, then my guess is you've picked a route that sends you back toward obesity faster than most.
Definitely! I was about to mention that for me personally, I'll likely need to stay on medications like these indefinitely—they've completely changed my health and how I relate to food. That said, if someone only took a tiny dose as a bodybuilding cutting aid, the situation is different, and I can understand quitting in that case.
 
From where I stand, the main post does contain plenty of solid advice, but based on what I've been through, actually following through is a whole different story....sadly..
 
Even though I believe my eating patterns have shifted, the thought of food noise coming back makes me anxious that I'll slip into my previous behaviors. I can picture myself staying on a small dose for many years, maybe even forever.
 
If you used to force yourself through the food noise, that's exactly where you'll end up again. If simply "showing some discipline" actually worked, hardly anyone would have struggled to begin with.

I'm glad I can post here in support of everyone battling obesity, since by BMI standards I was never even officially overweight. The catch was being especially short, which meant every aspect of eating and working out had to be done 100% right 100% of the time just to drop half a pound per week. That was never realistic, given that the rest of my life demanded my time and focus, and my sweet tooth wrecked my flawless diet at least a few times weekly.

On GLP1s, I can lift for muscle a few mornings per week, put protein first and make sure I take the right vitamins, and otherwise live my life, yet STILL drop or hold my weight, whichever I'm aiming for.

Anyone who wants to attempt tapering off can do so, but honestly that path demands more time, focus, and dedication. It makes complete sense that not everyone can offer that.

I have ADHD too. Could I get through life without stimulant medication? Sure. If I'm willing to wear myself out writing endless reminder notes and applying other learned strategies that drain me to use every single day, all so I can seem to have a level of executive function that has never come naturally. But once the workday ends, I have nothing left for friends or family. So, just like with GLP1s, it comes down to trade offs.
 
ambot88 said:

That seems sensible, but it looks like far more work than just staying on a modest dose for the rest of my life.
From what I understand, research indicates that continuing treatment gives the best results, and that sensitivity decreases rather than increases following a pause. For the long haul, remaining on it is optimal, particularly for those who dealt with severe obesity.
 
Waterheater said:

Right now I'm taking a 3 week pause, and I'll be starting up again before long. What's the reason for quitting instead of just lowering the dose? Is it because of side effects, or because you hit your targets?
Before you quit, did you step the dose down in stages? For the past 2 weeks I’ve been on smaller amounts, and this Monday I’ll pin just 1/2 mg right before leaving the country for a month. During that time I’ll keep hitting the gym 3-4 times per week and my food won’t be terrible, so I’m crossing my fingers I don’t blow up lol. Once you stopped, did the scale creep up at all?
 
Omxxl said:

Coming off Retatrutide takes months and has to be done to a plan. I won't begin before summer is over, but here's the protocol I've put together for tapering off Retatrutide — tell me what you reckon.

Things to keep in mind:

Retatrutide has a half-life of 6 days, so quitting cold turkey leaves a fading residual effect for 3-4 weeks (there is no "clean break").

Appetite has been suppressed for months and comes back slowly. True (homeostatic) hunger arrives before sensory satiety does, so satiety signals need relearning.

Leptin and ghrelin climb back to their usual levels 4-8 weeks after the last dose. Let intake run loose over that window and weight regain is basically assured.

Nutrition while tapering:

Macros stay put (don't change):

Protein: 180-200 g/day (never go below this; it covers satiety and muscle retention).

Carbs: 200-250 g/day.

Fat: 70-80 g/day.

Fiber: 35-40 g/day (the key to feeling full without restricting food).

Ways to feel full without leaning on restriction:

Bulk with no calories: big salads, broth-based soups, generous vegetables alongside every main meal. They stretch the stomach and switch on mechanical satiety.

Protein first: work through the protein, then the vegetables, then the carbs. That order drives satiety hormones (PYY, CCK) harder than doing it backwards.

Eat at set times: appetite hormones sync to routine. 5 meals/day, always at the same hours, keeps random hunger pangs away.

Fluids: minimum 3 L of water/day. Thirst gets misread as hunger, particularly once appetite is back after months of suppression.

Coffee and tea: caffeine blunts appetite a little. 2-3 cups daily are on your side for 5-10 weeks.

Soluble fiber before eating: 5 g of psyllium or glucomannan 20 minutes ahead of the main meal. It triggers gastric satiety — the nearest thing to copying part of what Reta does, minus the drug.

Extras to add while withdrawing:

Keep doing everything you already take, and add the following across the 12 weeks:

Berberine 500 mg x 2-3/day alongside meals. It sharpens insulin sensitivity, standing in for part of what Reta does for blood sugar.

Glucomannan 1 g before lunch and before dinner. More mechanical satiety.

L-tyrosine 500 mg on an empty stomach. It backs thyroid and dopamine — Reta acts on the dopaminergic system, and some people get a mild, passing flatness when it's withdrawn, where tyrosine helps.

Chromium picolinate 200 mcg/day. It takes the edge off carb cravings.
Given that you mentioned it, I'll throw in another point. The satiety index exists as a concept, similar to how the insulin index and glycemic index work. Consuming a greater amount of foods that rank high on satiety, while making every effort to avoid combining carbohydrates with fats within one meal, ought to be beneficial too. Research has shown that when carbs and fat are eaten together, the resulting satiety value drops below what each ingredient would provide on its own.
 
Omxxl said:

BNLFL said:

I have no idea, but that's not something I'll stress over anytime soon. I plan to keep doing a weekly maintenance injection.
I'll take a break for several months, then resume in cycles; my 700 mg of reta needs to be used up hahaha
No worries friend, I know just the spot for getting rid of it properly — it's in Virginia. I'll take care of it at no charge. That's just the kind of generous person I am. Ship it over there.
 
Back
Top