My DIY mixture that wiped out my skin flare-ups

lastresort

Explorer
Joined
Mar 10, 2026
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Location
NorthEast US
Seasonal atopic dermatitis used to hit me hard, especially on the palm of my hand, directly beneath my ring finger. The skin would itch, swell up, form clusters of little bubbles, and leak fluid.

Disgusting, I know.

Several years back, I came across information saying oat fiber fights inflammation. At that time, my knowledge of fibers, the immune system, and related topics was basically zero, since my studies were focused on alternative proteins. I ordered insoluble oat fiber off Amazon, then blended it with vaseline, water, and a little bit of generic lotion until it formed a smooth paste. I applied it to the affected area for 3 days, and boom, not only did the spots heal without leaving scars, they HAVE NEVER RETURNED SINCE. Vaseline alone never did anything for me, so I was sure the fiber was the key.

My mom deals with rosacea on her face too, and after she gave my weird concoction a shot, she swears by it and claims it beats any steroidal creams or skincare products.

Yall should give it a try and report back.
 
Thanks for posting this!! I'm really glad you landed on something that helps 🙂
 
lastresort said:

Seasonal atopic dermatitis used to hit me hard, especially on the palm of my hand, directly beneath my ring finger. The skin would itch, swell up, form clusters of little bubbles, and leak fluid.

Disgusting, I know.

Several years back, I came across information saying oat fiber fights inflammation. At that time, my knowledge of fibers, the immune system, and related topics was basically zero, since my studies were focused on alternative proteins. I ordered insoluble oat fiber off Amazon, then blended it with vaseline, water, and a little bit of generic lotion until it formed a smooth paste. I applied it to the affected area for 3 days, and boom, not only did the spots heal without leaving scars, they HAVE NEVER RETURNED SINCE. Vaseline alone never did anything for me, so I was sure the fiber was the key.

My mom deals with rosacea on her face too, and after she gave my weird concoction a shot, she swears by it and claims it beats any steroidal creams or skincare products.

Yall should give it a try and report back.
Is this made from oats, bran, or an extract of some sort?
 
Nope, check out Anthonys Oat fiber. It isn't oat bran—it's only the insoluble part.

I guess oat brans could also do the job, but I'd prefer to consume oat brans
 
lastresort said:

Nope, check out Anthonys Oat fiber. It isn't oat bran—it's only the insoluble part.

I guess oat brans could also do the job, but I'd prefer to consume oat brans
Understood, appreciate it!

Could you tell me the ratios you use when combining them?
 
I never bothered with exact amounts, but roughly a large spoonful mixed into a big container of vaseline ought to work. Just a couple of teaspoons of water plus basic lotions, until it turns into an even paste
 
Oatmeal has long been used as a home treatment. People of a cough particular generation got put into oatmeal baths when they had chicken pox, poison oak, eczema or bad mosquito bites. It has a reputation for calming all sorts of skin irritation. I use colloidal oats to make a soap, and it is very popular.
 
Back
Top