My current calorie and protein targets — thoughts?

islandtime50

Explorer
Joined
Jun 15, 2026
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Location
Vancouver Island
Some of this comes up in other threads already (the peanut butter and banana one, or how do you get your protein in).

The total I am targeting is 2180 calories. For now that is probably fine, given I am fat (51M, 6', 95.5kg, 16.8%bf) and it sits where I usually like to be. The plan is to taper it down. 86kg was a weight I liked, but I am thinking about going all the way back to 75kg — I sat there for two seasons when I was racing flat water competitively, though that is over 20 years ago now. I loved that weight. I felt strong and climbed hard ...

The real substance here is the guidepost for getting there. Outside the long-term goals I have two big considerations: a protein target so I don't lose muscle (never used glp-1s before, and I don't want to underestimate muscle loss), and an overall calorie target to govern how quickly the weight comes off (2180 is a lot of eating, but I am large at the moment). To hit my fairly arbitrary 191g protein goal, derived from my current weight, the split I am running is 40% carb, 35% protein, 25% fat. That works out as 218g of carbs and 61g of fat on top of the protein.

Honestly, on tirz I feel like I am force-feeding myself. Snacking is off the table.

Between herbal tea, shakes and plain water I get through more than 128oz of fluid daily.

Morning meal

Breakfast used to be 3 eggs with sourdough and kimchi; now it is 40g steel cut oats, 1 cup berries, 1 cup kefir and a scoop of protein powder — a substantial meal.

Snack

The shake gets another scoop of protein powder, 3 iron pills, 3 vitamin C pills, ice, 1 cup of berries, 1 cup of kefir, 1/4 cup of yogurt, 1 cup of spinach, water and a green banana. I work my way through it across the working day — sometimes fast, sometimes I am chugging 2 of 3 water bottles on the drive home and desperate for a bathroom by the time I arrive.

Midday

Typically 100g of chicken breast — sometimes swapped for hard boiled eggs, tuna or even oysters — with mixed veggies or a salad.

Evening

This one varies far more, and I think that matters. You cannot just prep everything and eat the same thing on repeat forever. Even so, it does land on the same handful of dishes most weeks — pan fried chicken and veggies with sauce, for instance.

Snacks, round two

The list above doesn't quite cover it. I might add another chicken breast, fish crackers or a second banana, and maybe a couple of spoons of olive oil (peanut butter is plainly nicer).

For what it's worth, there are a lot of supplements besides the ones in my shake (roughly a dozen). I could go and stand over the basket and list them all ...

Long story as it is, this could easily produce several TLDRs and kick off arguments about macro splits, or too much protein, or even spats along the lines of what you are doing right now does not match your long term goals. It is simply what I am doing.

Questions, comments, dirty jokes?
 
An awful lot of dairy in my case. You are what you eat...

If that holds, I am well on my way to becoming the Chick-Fil-A mascot! 😂





7021f0df672bb26875f1b48ff42023951a52f1f045f374ea0d15fc4277b6506d.webp
 
Cottage cheese is a good addition if you want more protein.

For more carbs, or better ones, go with sweet potato (hold the butter and sour cream) and steamed white rice.

Your diet sounds like the right approach. Keep at it. Body recomp takes longer once your 20s are behind you.
 
Back
Top