My clothes are falling off...

Pinngo

Explorer
Joined
Jan 4, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I've dropped 30lbs, and now my phone is literally pulling my pants down—it's heavy enough to drag them right off!

Clearly, I'm in need of some new gear. But since I still have 130lbs to lose, I'm trying to plan this out a bit and not waste cash.

What would you do?

• Get clothes that fit me right now and just plan on needing another size before long; after all, you're already saving on groceries

• Get clothes that are a bit snug today and work on losing weight so they fit better—the idea being this cuts down on spending and clothing waste
 
Get yourself some fresh outfits in your current size that look good on you. Your mood and appearance will both improve. Get rid of the stuff that's now too loose — you won't need it again. Nice work, this is the kind of issue worth celebrating! Don't stop, you're doing great.
 
I can’t recall a time when my clothes actually fit right. They’re either too snug or slipping down. For a few weeks each year, though, I hit that perfect middle ground where everything fits just right.

Bill
 
What about hitting thrift stores for a compact set of clothes in your current size, then simply repeating that whenever necessary? The pieces that stop fitting could go back as donations . . . full circle . . .
 
If you're anything like me (probably not), maybe? I've got clothes from 10-20yr ago that are still new — a few even have tags, and others remain dry-clean fresh & crispy starched! These are from back when I was lean & mean!! Perhaps a fashion style will make a comeback thanks to me🤷

Regardless, there are clothes for me to look forward to (hopefully).

On a side note, my house has 4 closets, and I looooove my old comfy dress clothes. And now there's maybe a chance I'll get to wear them someday
 
Secondhand shops. Here's a tip: locate one in a wealthy neighborhood—those wealthy folks give away really nice items!
 
Pick up less expensive garments sized for your current body. Go for flexible fabrics that accommodate a broader span of sizes.
 
Pinngo said:

I've dropped 30lbs, and now my phone is literally pulling my pants down—it's heavy enough to drag them right off!

Clearly, I'm in need of some new gear. But since I still have 130lbs to lose, I'm trying to plan this out a bit and not waste cash.

What would you do?

• Get clothes that fit me right now and just plan on needing another size before long; after all, you're already saving on groceries

• Get clothes that are a bit snug today and work on losing weight so they fit better—the idea being this cuts down on spending and clothing waste
Over these past 10 months, I've gone shopping for clothes on 3 separate occasions. I'm not upset about it at all—I'm just really enjoying it.
 
Pinngo said:

I've dropped 30lbs, and now my phone is literally pulling my pants down—it's heavy enough to drag them right off!

Clearly, I'm in need of some new gear. But since I still have 130lbs to lose, I'm trying to plan this out a bit and not waste cash.

What would you do?

• Get clothes that fit me right now and just plan on needing another size before long; after all, you're already saving on groceries

• Get clothes that are a bit snug today and work on losing weight so they fit better—the idea being this cuts down on spending and clothing waste
Well done! That's a great issue to deal with! Perhaps pick up some belts, plus whatever you purchase with elastic waistbands and maybe drawstrings, so they hold up longer while you work toward your goal
 
Two words: Old Navy.

I picked up 2 pairs of shorts the other day for 10 dollars—throwaway clothes—since the shorts I had from last year kept sliding down while I was walking, and I worried I'd get arrested both for having sketchy peptides and for my pants dropping in public.
 
Have your best or priciest pieces altered to fit, and treat yourself too. You've earned it—you've been working hard. Rewarding yourself as you go is the strongest way to stay motivated.
 
aepower2016 said:

Have your best or priciest pieces altered to fit, and treat yourself too. You've earned it—you've been working hard. Rewarding yourself as you go is the strongest way to stay motivated.

Have your best or priciest garments altered.

Does anyone still do that nowadays, in a world where everything gets tossed?
 
Pants that keep slipping down can be fixed with some simple stitching, or you could pick up an elastic belt instead. Shirts are another thing you can sew too. For simple jobs like taking in a waistband, a sewing machine isn't necessary. When it comes to shirts and similar items, though, having one makes the work easier. And as a lot of people have pointed out, thrift stores, Goodwill, or inexpensive clothing are yet another route to take.
 
CNCCurrency said:

aepower2016 said:

Have your best or priciest pieces altered to fit, and treat yourself too. You've earned it—you've been working hard. Rewarding yourself as you go is the strongest way to stay motivated.

Have your best or priciest garments altered.

Does anyone still do that nowadays, in a world where everything gets tossed?

That trade is definitely fading away, and sometimes it costs more than hitting thrift stores. These days I stick with sweatpants and drawstring pants.
 
Pinngo said:

I've dropped 30lbs, and now my phone is literally pulling my pants down—it's heavy enough to drag them right off!

Clearly, I'm in need of some new gear. But since I still have 130lbs to lose, I'm trying to plan this out a bit and not waste cash.

What would you do?

• Get clothes that fit me right now and just plan on needing another size before long; after all, you're already saving on groceries

• Get clothes that are a bit snug today and work on losing weight so they fit better—the idea being this cuts down on spending and clothing waste

A belt and/or drawstring garments seem like what you're after. Ratcheting belts work really well.

I held off on the smaller work pants and athletic shorts until I'd lost about 60lb. The belt switch happened ages ago, so the number on the scale at that point is fuzzy.

Another 30-40lb is still ahead of me, though I don't want to walk around in clothes that hang off me.
 
woundcarping said:

Pinngo said:

I've dropped 30lbs, and now my phone is literally pulling my pants down—it's heavy enough to drag them right off!

Clearly, I'm in need of some new gear. But since I still have 130lbs to lose, I'm trying to plan this out a bit and not waste cash.

What would you do?

• Get clothes that fit me right now and just plan on needing another size before long; after all, you're already saving on groceries

• Get clothes that are a bit snug today and work on losing weight so they fit better—the idea being this cuts down on spending and clothing waste

A belt and/or drawstring garments seem like what you're after. Ratcheting belts work really well.

I held off on the smaller work pants and athletic shorts until I'd lost about 60lb. The belt switch happened ages ago, so the number on the scale at that point is fuzzy.

Another 30-40lb is still ahead of me, though I don't want to walk around in clothes that hang off me.

For what I was wearing, neither belts nor drawstrings would have done the job — it's wild how much difference 10 months on reta made.





27c72dafa6e8d63a65169f495850578f238458af43e8b2c22936959ef2c4b9a2.webp


74d4f69a30344a0a39246cd53cdd06d94426821668721ec29a40ce7b81e3898d.webp
 
AngieHolmes said:

What about hitting thrift stores for a compact set of clothes in your current size, then simply repeating that whenever necessary? The pieces that stop fitting could go back as donations . . . full circle . . .
That's my approach too. Until I reach my goal, buying a whole new wardrobe isn't something I can manage financially.
 
I hit up Goodwill and other thrift shops. Part of it is that replacing my wardrobe constantly isn't in my budget. Drawstring shorts and pants make up a lot of what I wear, too. There are some pretty cute women's styles that still work as you keep losing weight.

That said, in a few weeks I may just head to Old Navy or Walmart and pick up 2 new outfits.
 
TeresaHip said:

I hit up Goodwill and other thrift shops. Part of it is that replacing my wardrobe constantly isn't in my budget. Drawstring shorts and pants make up a lot of what I wear, too. There are some pretty cute women's styles that still work as you keep losing weight.

That said, in a few weeks I may just head to Old Navy or Walmart and pick up 2 new outfits.
Because I'm tall and have monkey arms, thrift stores rarely carry Long/tall sizes. At this stage, I'm willing to spend the money.
 
Back
Top