My biggest GLP-1 ethical problem: patients who don’t want to stop

Whenever I say that "changing your lifestyle" is also the main goal, that’s when I catch the most resistance. Nobody is eager to do the hard work of diet and exercise. Those are what give you the real benefits!
 
igottapee said:

Whenever I say that "changing your lifestyle" is also the main goal, that’s when I catch the most resistance. Nobody is eager to do the hard work of diet and exercise. Those are what give you the real benefits!
Is that not justified? GLP-1s target the biological drivers — intense hunger or constant food thoughts — that can interfere with clear thinking. When your body is in a stressed or dysregulated state, sticking with lasting lifestyle changes becomes very difficult. And every person using GLP-1s has already tried diet and exercise. To me, these drugs aren't merely a tool. They're a long-term, essential medication.

Sure, better eating habits and physical activity do help, and they can improve lab results (as can GLP-1s), blood pressure (as can GLP-1s), and allow for a reduced maintenance dose. Plus, resistance training obviously helps guard against muscle loss:

Gemini said:


FactorBenefitNoteZone 2 CardioMitochondrial biogenesis & fat oxidation45–60 mins at "conversational" pace to trigger PGC-1α and maximize fuel efficiency.Resistance TrainingPreserves Lean Body Mass (LBM)Prevents "skinny fat" outcome during rapid weight loss; aim for 2–3 sessions per week.Plant-Based DietCardiovascular & Gut HealthHigh fiber and low saturated fat; essential for managing LDL and endothelial function.GLP-1sAppetite control & BP regulationActs as the "metabolic bridge" to make intensive lifestyle changes sustainable.MaintenanceSustainability & SafetyTitrating to the lowest effective dose reduces side effects like gastric slowing.

Click to expand...
 
Calm Logic said:

igottapee said:

Whenever I say that "changing your lifestyle" is also the main goal, that’s when I catch the most resistance. Nobody is eager to do the hard work of diet and exercise. Those are what give you the real benefits!
Is that not justified? GLP-1s target the biological drivers — intense hunger or constant food thoughts — that can interfere with clear thinking. When your body is in a stressed or dysregulated state, sticking with lasting lifestyle changes becomes very difficult. And every person using GLP-1s has already tried diet and exercise. To me, these drugs aren't merely a tool. They're a long-term, essential medication.

Sure, better eating habits and physical activity do help, and they can improve lab results (as can GLP-1s), blood pressure (as can GLP-1s), and allow for a reduced maintenance dose. Plus, resistance training obviously helps guard against muscle loss:

Gemini said:


FactorBenefitNoteZone 2 CardioMitochondrial biogenesis & fat oxidation45–60 mins at "conversational" pace to trigger PGC-1α and maximize fuel efficiency.Resistance TrainingPreserves Lean Body Mass (LBM)Prevents "skinny fat" outcome during rapid weight loss; aim for 2–3 sessions per week.Plant-Based DietCardiovascular & Gut HealthHigh fiber and low saturated fat; essential for managing LDL and endothelial function.GLP-1sAppetite control & BP regulationActs as the "metabolic bridge" to make intensive lifestyle changes sustainable.MaintenanceSustainability & SafetyTitrating to the lowest effective dose reduces side effects like gastric slowing.

Click to expand...

Obesity is being accepted more and more by the medical field as a chronic medical condition rather than something a person has failed at. Society, however, has not fully caught up.

For me, GLP-1 therapy targets a metabolic dysfunction that sits underneath. Stopping treatment, in my expectation, would mean going back to where I started. That said, obesity has been part of my whole life, and I have fought it for decades. Some people whose metabolic dysregulation is milder might hold onto their results without medication, but in my own case I know long-term therapy is required.
 
I am all too familiar with how difficult it is to keep off a large amount of weight once GLP medications are out of the picture. In 2013 I went from 120 or 130 kg down to 65kg, and I held that for 2 years. In the end, though, I simply could not keep eating the way I needed to, and the familiar thought that just 1 serving of ice cream is harmless — and where that thought leads me, at least — took over.

Then I repeated the whole thing in 2022 - 2023, going from 145 to 75kg, and that stayed off for a year.

Once I began semaglutide, I believe I felt for the first time in my life what it is like to be too full to clean my plate. For a year I tolerated nausea and feeling somewhat unwell in return for lower hunger, until I thankfully found less expensive Chinese options that suppressed appetite better and caused fewer side effects.

To my considerable surprise, I am still losing weight very gradually, 100-200g each week, without having to make a constant conscious effort to eat less than I want. At 66kg and a bmi of 24, I am not completely certain where I should stop. Eventually, at my current doses, either the weight loss will plateau, or I will need to choose a weight and reduce reta and tirz somewhat, or cut back some of the other peptides I have added for possible extra effects on appetite/weight - Adamax for alpha MSH, low dose HGH, oxytocin, and mots-c. Even though the receptor effects underneath are fairly well understood, I genuinely do not know how much any of these are doing, since none have ever been studied in humans for weight loss, and I will have to stop them at some point and watch what happens to my weight or hunger. I never plan to stop Tirzepatide or Reta.
 
Calm Logic said:

igottapee said:

Whenever I say that "changing your lifestyle" is also the main goal, that’s when I catch the most resistance. Nobody is eager to do the hard work of diet and exercise. Those are what give you the real benefits!
Is that not justified? GLP-1s target the biological drivers — intense hunger or constant food thoughts — that can interfere with clear thinking. When your body is in a stressed or dysregulated state, sticking with lasting lifestyle changes becomes very difficult. And every person using GLP-1s has already tried diet and exercise. To me, these drugs aren't merely a tool. They're a long-term, essential medication.

Sure, better eating habits and physical activity do help, and they can improve lab results (as can GLP-1s), blood pressure (as can GLP-1s), and allow for a reduced maintenance dose. Plus, resistance training obviously helps guard against muscle loss:

Gemini said:


FactorBenefitNoteZone 2 CardioMitochondrial biogenesis & fat oxidation45–60 mins at "conversational" pace to trigger PGC-1α and maximize fuel efficiency.Resistance TrainingPreserves Lean Body Mass (LBM)Prevents "skinny fat" outcome during rapid weight loss; aim for 2–3 sessions per week.Plant-Based DietCardiovascular & Gut HealthHigh fiber and low saturated fat; essential for managing LDL and endothelial function.GLP-1sAppetite control & BP regulationActs as the "metabolic bridge" to make intensive lifestyle changes sustainable.MaintenanceSustainability & SafetyTitrating to the lowest effective dose reduces side effects like gastric slowing.

Click to expand...

Absolutely agreed. When someone starts lecturing me with "you have to change your lifestyle!" I just let it go — I don't get into online debates unless there's a paycheck involved, and in everyday life I simply don't have the time or energy to engage, since far more people want my attention than I could ever accommodate. So I reserve my conversations for those who aren't just repeating tired, oversimplified clichés.

That said, Patricia, obviously losing weight and keeping it off requires me to "change my lifestyle." But it isn't a one-time switch, or even a monthly one, where you declare "YAY, LIFESTYLE CHANGED" and then forget about it. It's ongoing maintenance — which sounds inspiring phrased that way, but in reality means "consume less food than I desperately want, every hour of every day, indefinitely, while suppressing my intense urge to eat as much as I crave," because we all know you can't outrun your fork. So fine, Patricia, the meds let me "change my lifestyle" and everyone's satisfied — what exactly are you going on about?

(That said, cheers to the rare unicorns who can use these meds as a springboard and then keep the habit going once it's been part of their life long enough. That's not me and I doubt it ever will be, but good for you if it is.)
 
Nearly every person here has, at some time in their life, dropped pounds without GLP's. It isn't extremely difficult: you simply make the choice to follow a diet and keep following it, and just about anyone can manage that for a period.

What makes the "change you lifestyle" answer fail isn't that it's impossible — it's the relentless mental strain it demands. Realistically, if you could sustain that diet or way of living without a great deal of ongoing mental labor, you wouldn't be obese in the first place. And in time, practically everyone's capacity to keep exerting that effort gradually erodes. Should you manage to build new habits that no longer call for that unending effort, then the issue is solved — yet the research and the lived experience of most people indicate this happens so rarely that only a tiny number pull it off. When your appetite regulation system can't handle a constant supply of cheap, readily available, high calorie, highly rewarding food that it never evolved to handle, then the sole way to avoid overeating is unending effort — and sooner or later that supply of effort is exhausted.

Fortunately, GLP's don't demand unending effort in order to function; all that's needed is an injection roughly once a week. That sidesteps the entire difficulty, and in fact makes creating and maintaining genuine, meaningful, long term lifestyle changes far simpler and far more probable. A straightforward illustration: exercising is vastly easier when you aren't morbidly obese. So quitting them upon reaching a goal weight actually places those beneficial lifestyle changes, along with the weight loss, in jeopardy. I'm not claiming nobody should ever attempt to stop them, but with severe longstanding obesity, I believe it's a poor choice.
 
A nuance I think gets overlooked in this discussion: while every diet involves some level of restriction, not every diet means you're constantly battling hunger.

The typical "low calorie" route is likely the most wretched and the one most destined to fail (except in uncommon cases). Why? If you continue consuming the same hyper-palatable, addictive junk as before, merely cutting yourself off at 30% less each day until you give in. Anyone whose experience stops at this method could be excused for concluding that dieting as a concept simply cannot work.

A bit less wretched is the low-fat world, which tends to push more toward plant-like foods and away from heavily refined grains. You have to get over an initial hump, something like withdrawal from your favorite processed foods. On such a diet you can feel full while dropping weight, though true satiety might still be hard to reach. Hunger won't be the issue — rather, it's a sense of missing particular foods and the feelings tied to them.

Less wretched still (though plenty would argue) are the various low-carb approaches — some leaning more or less meat-based, others toward plants and/or dairy, and some emphasizing higher fat. For me, these were the simplest for losing and keeping weight off, but boy did I miss potatoes!

On top of these diets, one could layer fasting adjustments, which to the uninitiated probably sounds absurd (isn't hunger the very definition?), whether that's time-restricted eating or scheduled days without food.

Each of these demanded sacrificing something, yet many sidestepped the issue of relentless hunger.
 
I fully agree with the idea of figuring out an eating pattern that keeps hunger in check and lets you consume enough that you aren't perpetually limiting portions, largely because that approach is simply difficult and tends to collapse in the end.

A ketogenic, low carb, or even the old Atkins plan I recall attempting years ago offers the benefit that ketones blunt appetite, and having steadier blood sugar, insulin, and a whole set of other hormones and neurotransmitters tied to hunger regulation makes it simpler to maintain and stops the sharp hunger surges that make losing self control far more probable. In certain ways I believe Atkins had some correct insights, even though the reality is far more complicated than he imagined. It's notable that these days continuous glucose monitors frequently reveal glucose rises after energy dense meals, then drops that drive more hunger, essentially the mechanism Atkins proposed 40 years ago.

The difficulty is that a high fat way of eating tends also to be energy dense, so portions are small, which doesn't address hunger. Plus the evidence on ketogenic diets appears to have flipped repeatedly across recent decades regarding health effects. They also typically fall short on fiber and plant foods.

When it comes to disease prevention, the eating pattern with by far the strongest evidence is the mediterranean diet, or close variations on it.

My own simple idea about obesity centers on low energy density, under 1.5 kcal/g, as the key factor, so you can eat as much as you want or need without hunger, and adding a solid proportion of protein makes it even better. Almost all processed foods are too energy dense, and this rules out nearly all high carb items such as bread and grain products, while permitting essentially unlimited fruit and vegetables, even though they are mostly carbs or sugar, because it is trapped in cell structures and fiber and therefore absorbed far more slowly than from things like bread or biscuits. It also lets you graze all day on fruit—maybe not bananas—but a kilo of fruit is usually only 500 kcal or less and is a substantial amount to eat across a day. Very lean meat fits and is the strongest appetite suppressor per calorie.

Fitting fat into this is tough, since even modest quantities immediately raise calories per gram sharply. And the extra calories from small fat additions can be big—55 grams of oil has calories comparable to a kilo of fruit. If that were my only food for a day, I'd choose the fruit over the oil. A very low fat diet isn't automatically unhealthy but should ideally include some fish and olive oil. Since I appear to need to keep intake below that of an average 66kg 58yo male, maintaining weight on 1600-1800 kcal/day because of metabolic adaptation to long term calorie restriction, I have little room to add calories. Quite a few studies back up this way of eating, though it is far from the standard view.

One issue I've encountered is that I must be very cautious about eating anything that could disrupt this system. Small amounts of rich food will skew your preferences so lower calorie foods taste worse, and it risks those hunger spikes that are hard to manage.
 
tubby said:

A nuance I think gets overlooked in this discussion: while every diet involves some level of restriction, not every diet means you're constantly battling hunger.

The typical "low calorie" route is likely the most wretched and the one most destined to fail (except in uncommon cases). Why? If you continue consuming the same hyper-palatable, addictive junk as before, merely cutting yourself off at 30% less each day until you give in. Anyone whose experience stops at this method could be excused for concluding that dieting as a concept simply cannot work.

A bit less wretched is the low-fat world, which tends to push more toward plant-like foods and away from heavily refined grains. You have to get over an initial hump, something like withdrawal from your favorite processed foods. On such a diet you can feel full while dropping weight, though true satiety might still be hard to reach. Hunger won't be the issue — rather, it's a sense of missing particular foods and the feelings tied to them.

Less wretched still (though plenty would argue) are the various low-carb approaches — some leaning more or less meat-based, others toward plants and/or dairy, and some emphasizing higher fat. For me, these were the simplest for losing and keeping weight off, but boy did I miss potatoes!

On top of these diets, one could layer fasting adjustments, which to the uninitiated probably sounds absurd (isn't hunger the very definition?), whether that's time-restricted eating or scheduled days without food.

Each of these demanded sacrificing something, yet many sidestepped the issue of relentless hunger.

That's the way I see it. Take the typical poor American way of eating — meat and potatoes. Certain diets cut back on the meat (plus other animal proteins), while others cut back on the potatoes (plus bread and rice). Sitting in between is the Mediterranean diet, which the American Heart Association endorses:

Gemini said:


Diet PatternAHA Score / TierWhy it Earned This RatingMediterranean89 / Tier 1The Middle Path: High alignment with AHA goals. It lost a few points only because it doesn't explicitly limit salt and allows for moderate alcohol.Plant-Based (Vegan)78 / Tier 2Restricts the Meat: Excellent for fiber and low saturated fat, but Tier 2 because its restrictiveness can make it hard to follow long-term and may lead to B12 deficiency.Very Low-Fat (McDougall/Pritikin)72 / Tier 3Restricts the Meat & Fats: While it lowers LDL, the AHA docked points because it excludes healthy fats (nuts/olive oil) and can be too restrictive for the general public.Paleo53 / Tier 4Restricts the Potatoes: Failed because it excludes legumes and whole grains (fiber/nutrients) and does not limit saturated fats from meat.Keto (Very Low Carb)31 / Tier 4Total War on Potatoes: The lowest rating. The AHA cites the extreme restriction of fruits and grains, which leads to low fiber and high saturated fat intake.

Click to expand...

And, naturally: "Two people can eat the same food and have very different hormonal responses."
 
lessthanhalf said:

I fully agree with the idea of figuring out an eating pattern that keeps hunger in check and lets you consume enough that you aren't perpetually limiting portions, largely because that approach is simply difficult and tends to collapse in the end.

A ketogenic, low carb, or even the old Atkins plan I recall attempting years ago offers the benefit that ketones blunt appetite, and having steadier blood sugar, insulin, and a whole set of other hormones and neurotransmitters tied to hunger regulation makes it simpler to maintain and stops the sharp hunger surges that make losing self control far more probable. In certain ways I believe Atkins had some correct insights, even though the reality is far more complicated than he imagined. It's notable that these days continuous glucose monitors frequently reveal glucose rises after energy dense meals, then drops that drive more hunger, essentially the mechanism Atkins proposed 40 years ago.

The difficulty is that a high fat way of eating tends also to be energy dense, so portions are small, which doesn't address hunger. Plus the evidence on ketogenic diets appears to have flipped repeatedly across recent decades regarding health effects. They also typically fall short on fiber and plant foods.

When it comes to disease prevention, the eating pattern with by far the strongest evidence is the mediterranean diet, or close variations on it.

My own simple idea about obesity centers on low energy density, under 1.5 kcal/g, as the key factor, so you can eat as much as you want or need without hunger, and adding a solid proportion of protein makes it even better. Almost all processed foods are too energy dense, and this rules out nearly all high carb items such as bread and grain products, while permitting essentially unlimited fruit and vegetables, even though they are mostly carbs or sugar, because it is trapped in cell structures and fiber and therefore absorbed far more slowly than from things like bread or biscuits. It also lets you graze all day on fruit—maybe not bananas—but a kilo of fruit is usually only 500 kcal or less and is a substantial amount to eat across a day. Very lean meat fits and is the strongest appetite suppressor per calorie.

Fitting fat into this is tough, since even modest quantities immediately raise calories per gram sharply. And the extra calories from small fat additions can be big—55 grams of oil has calories comparable to a kilo of fruit. If that were my only food for a day, I'd choose the fruit over the oil. A very low fat diet isn't automatically unhealthy but should ideally include some fish and olive oil. Since I appear to need to keep intake below that of an average 66kg 58yo male, maintaining weight on 1600-1800 kcal/day because of metabolic adaptation to long term calorie restriction, I have little room to add calories. Quite a few studies back up this way of eating, though it is far from the standard view.

One issue I've encountered is that I must be very cautious about eating anything that could disrupt this system. Small amounts of rich food will skew your preferences so lower calorie foods taste worse, and it risks those hunger spikes that are hard to manage.
I appreciate how much effort went into laying all of that out, and a large portion of it is genuinely solid and thoughtful. With most of it I'm either fully on board or only split on small details (for instance, my threshold for what counts as a good "fruit" might sit somewhere else, and neither of us would be wrong, because that's a judgment call). What stood out to me in particular was that you framed fruits and vegetables in terms of their intact cellular matrix instead of reducing it to "fiber," a distinction far too many people gloss over.

A few things I'd push back on:

Even though it runs against intuition, I'd place both low-calorie-density approaches and most interpretations of the "Mediterranean" diet (a label with a rather slippery definition) into the same bucket as "low-fat" diets. I realize that sounds off, since neither one is intrinsically low-fat, and maybe the blame is mine for naming the category that way. My point is simply that what a person actually experiences on either of those plans tends to resemble the low-fat experience: you can end up full, yet you're generally less likely to feel satisfied. That's exactly why I leaned toward the low-carb umbrella myself, because it gave me a shot at satiety.

Within low-carb/keto, I think a big part of getting it right means discarding the calorie framework altogether and concentrating instead on steering clear of "really good" foods that carry more addiction potential, so to speak, while favoring foods that don't hijack your built-in hunger signaling. Sure, CICO holds true in hindsight, but if you try to engineer those diets to be low-calorie, you lose everything they have to offer. As you pointed out earlier, deliberately going low-calorie usually works against self-control, so if you've built some low-calorie version of Atkins, you're essentially tossing out what makes Atkins work: it's a plan where you eat until full (provided you're picky about which foods you choose and remain inside those limits). It may not deliver a 6-pack of abs before you plateau, but for most people it will land them at a better weight than where they are now. Also, a fun bit of trivia for you: 100 years before Atkins made his diet famous, a man named William Banting made a quite similar diet famous, which people at the time called the Banting diet.

I'd also agree that the theories underpinning the various low-carb ideas keep shifting and will likely keep shifting. One very unusual version of that concept, not widely known, that I see as an interesting proof of concept is the ex150 diet. The person behind it is a blogger who enjoys testing different diets and writing them up. I wouldn't call him an expert, but he's extremely persistent and equally meticulous about logging highly detailed data on what he does. The reason I think it might catch your interest is that his main/default daily diet is heavy cream (alongside some beef and a small amount of vegetables). He eats it to satiety every day and has dropped significant weight on it, after failing to find lasting success with other ketogenic diets. I don't agree with a fair amount of his personal analysis, but that's not why I follow him. I just find his results to be very interesting.
 
Calm Logic said:

igottapee said:

Whenever I say that "changing your lifestyle" is also the main goal, that’s when I catch the most resistance. Nobody is eager to do the hard work of diet and exercise. Those are what give you the real benefits!
Is that not justified? GLP-1s target the biological drivers — intense hunger or constant food thoughts — that can interfere with clear thinking. When your body is in a stressed or dysregulated state, sticking with lasting lifestyle changes becomes very difficult. And every person using GLP-1s has already tried diet and exercise. To me, these drugs aren't merely a tool. They're a long-term, essential medication.

Sure, better eating habits and physical activity do help, and they can improve lab results (as can GLP-1s), blood pressure (as can GLP-1s), and allow for a reduced maintenance dose. Plus, resistance training obviously helps guard against muscle loss:

Gemini said:


FactorBenefitNoteZone 2 CardioMitochondrial biogenesis & fat oxidation45–60 mins at "conversational" pace to trigger PGC-1α and maximize fuel efficiency.Resistance TrainingPreserves Lean Body Mass (LBM)Prevents "skinny fat" outcome during rapid weight loss; aim for 2–3 sessions per week.Plant-Based DietCardiovascular & Gut HealthHigh fiber and low saturated fat; essential for managing LDL and endothelial function.GLP-1sAppetite control & BP regulationActs as the "metabolic bridge" to make intensive lifestyle changes sustainable.MaintenanceSustainability & SafetyTitrating to the lowest effective dose reduces side effects like gastric slowing.

Click to expand...
I’m with you. The resistance I ran into, I believe, comes from people viewing it as a “magic” pill—something that lets you stay on the couch, death scrolling.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Nearly every person here has, at some time in their life, dropped pounds without GLP's. It isn't extremely difficult: you simply make the choice to follow a diet and keep following it, and just about anyone can manage that for a period.

What makes the "change you lifestyle" answer fail isn't that it's impossible — it's the relentless mental strain it demands. Realistically, if you could sustain that diet or way of living without a great deal of ongoing mental labor, you wouldn't be obese in the first place. And in time, practically everyone's capacity to keep exerting that effort gradually erodes. Should you manage to build new habits that no longer call for that unending effort, then the issue is solved — yet the research and the lived experience of most people indicate this happens so rarely that only a tiny number pull it off. When your appetite regulation system can't handle a constant supply of cheap, readily available, high calorie, highly rewarding food that it never evolved to handle, then the sole way to avoid overeating is unending effort — and sooner or later that supply of effort is exhausted.

Fortunately, GLP's don't demand unending effort in order to function; all that's needed is an injection roughly once a week. That sidesteps the entire difficulty, and in fact makes creating and maintaining genuine, meaningful, long term lifestyle changes far simpler and far more probable. A straightforward illustration: exercising is vastly easier when you aren't morbidly obese. So quitting them upon reaching a goal weight actually places those beneficial lifestyle changes, along with the weight loss, in jeopardy. I'm not claiming nobody should ever attempt to stop them, but with severe longstanding obesity, I believe it's a poor choice.
The amount of mental energy required to keep off a large amount of weight is something most people severely underestimate. Your post brings back something I heard a few months ago, when I happened to catch a fitness bro–type influencer on a random TikTok live. What he said has stayed with me. His viewers were pushing him to criticize people using GLP1s, and his response was honestly IDGAF and good for them. He continued by saying that sure, people can white knuckle it and pour every ounce of mental effort into losing weight, but after that they can't live the rest of their life. With a GLP1, those people get to live their lives and fix their bodies. It stuck with me both because it was correct and because he wasn't someone I would have expected to get that.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Grogu said:

DunningKruger said:

byefatlicia said:

The eating disorder angle is a hard one to untangle. Whether the GLP's are actually triggering some eating disorders, or simply being used as a tool by people who already have one, I can't say for certain.

For years, over-eating was slowly killing me. Food was my drug. Yet under-eating can be just as deadly.

Still, the same freedom that lets someone over-eat also lets someone under-eat.

I get why a Doc wouldn't want to be part of pushing anyone toward either extreme.

But here in the Grey, nobody can block the "prescription". In the same way, back when food was my addiction, nobody could have blocked me from buying and eating.

GLPs aren't what creates eating disorders, in my view. Their role is more like a trigger: someone with pre-existing disordered tendencies — the overeating variety — can become fixated on the dopamine hit that comes with seeing the number on the scale drop. When nobody addresses the emotional and behavioural underpinnings that led to the weight gain in the first place, the result is just a swap — one disordered pattern traded for a different one.

I do agree that eating disorders aren't "caused" by glp-1 medications. Still, my view is that glp-1s are capable of pushing someone toward disordered eating, particularly if that person is already at risk. Appetite suppression from glp1s can be so intense that a lot of people likely end up taking in too few calories, or they develop food-related behaviors that are troubling.

lessthanhalf said:

Among eating disorders, binge eating disorder and food addiction rank as the most widespread by a wide margin, affecting a substantial share of people with obesity. Research on GLP's for this specific issue is strikingly sparse, yet the limited evidence suggests they may be the most effective option out there, and they also address obesity, which tends to be the core difficulty for individuals with this type of eating disorder. Lisdexamphetamine is the sole approved medication, and its effectiveness is limited. Almost all existing research comes from a psychology perspective, relying on cognitive behavioural therapy, which likewise does not perform well for this problem. However, since the research remains largely compartmentalized in this domain, it could be some time before targeted studies involving GLP's are conducted.

BED is something I find really compelling. I don't have this disorder myself, but I've come across many posts from people with BED who are doing well on glp-1 medications, despite glp-1s not being FDA approved as a BED treatment. My sense is that for most people, BED is mainly a psychiatric disorder—one built around loss of control, emotional triggers, and distress—instead of a metabolic condition. That said, if BED were my diagnosis, I would absolutely use a glp-1 regardless of whether I was obese.

That's me! Hello! I'm the one whose long history of BED was frequently improved but never resolved, and Tirzepatide shut it down completely — I haven't had a binging episode since, nor have I even had to fight one off. Yes, that's me.

OA gave only a tiny bit of help. Therapy was no help at all. Nothing worked unless it demanded my full focus every single day. The only thing that did work was the magic skinny shots — they solved it, and now I'm completely fine.
Feeling the same way — that makes two of us! No midnight chocolate splurges at all.
 
MeedzMoar said:

lessthanhalf said:

I realize this piece came from a practising endocrinologist who is grappling with these questions in the clinic, and who has very little research evidence to lean on when deciding what should happen once weight has already come off on these drugs.

My reading is that his views are shaped heavily by older ideas about what weight loss was achievable and safe, back when keeping off 5-10% counted as a great outcome for health.

That picture no longer holds. Far better results are now within reach — not for everybody, since some people either can't handle the drugs or don't respond well — but for many, a 20% reduction is entirely attainable. What keeps striking me is how rarely I encounter people on this forum who are stalled midway to their target after shedding roughly 20%, when the trial data suggest that should describe nearly all of the more severely overweight. Even allowing for a self-selected group, plus peptide stacking and several GLP's together, it ought to turn up more often than it does.

There is a legitimate role for the worried, paternalistic tone he adopts: using these drugs without medical oversight or guidance brings added dangers, quite apart from any risk from tainted, mislabelled or counterfeit products. Dosing mistakes made through the DIY route do land people in hospital fairly regularly. Still, that outlook sits fundamentally at odds with a patient's or a person's right to make their own medical choices, and medicine has never been good at handling that tension. Obviously giving GLP's to someone with anorexia nervosa is a bad idea, but I would place the boundary between patient autonomy and paternalism much nearer the autonomy end than he does.

The long-term health evidence in people who are severely obese, diabetic, or living with heart disease is unmistakable: these drugs markedly improve health, and solid research shows the advantage grows at higher therapeutic doses rather than lower ones. That undermines the medical rationale for halting or cutting doses in some of his patients, since the evidence is equally plain that ceasing these drugs or lowering the dose brings weight back, along with the health harms that follow.

As for judging treatment by his own read of its effect on quality of life — once again, the person themselves is normally best placed to make that call, with a handful of exceptions such as serious eating disorders.

From what I've seen, most doctors carry the same prejudices toward people with severe obesity as everyone else. This doctor doesn't appear to display that, yet it's highly unlikely he grasps anything close to the full lived reality of being in that state. Severe obesity brings severe social penalties — lower income, being regarded as less than human by strangers — and those pressures, more than the health ones, are what push people to want to shed weight. With milder obesity the penalties are smaller but still far from trivial.

I believe he is missing the larger picture of his patients' lives, and that this is what tilts him toward excessive caution with these medications.

Before GLP's existed, only an astonishingly tiny slice of the population ever managed major long-term weight loss, and the rare few who did had to overhaul their lives and control food and exercise obsessively. Yet he opts to withdraw medication when it disrupts the social side of eating. Sustaining a large loss over years demands fairly obsessive control over what you eat; when nearly everyone around you eats poorly, declining the same foods will always create friction around shared meals.

I doubt I'd stay his patient for long. Having lost 54% of my weight and living on a very narrow, repetitive diet sounds a great deal like his warning signs, yet that is precisely what holding onto such a loss requires (along with some reta and 15mg of tirzepatide).

Because far cheaper pirate Chinese GLP's are so readily obtainable, his stance could drive the very people he thinks should be on lower doses or off treatment — those who reject his judgment — into the grey market.

Watching how this market has expanded over the past year or so, it will grow vastly larger ahead. The bottled-up demand from literally billions of obese people who would rather weigh less is immense, and on top of them are all those who are somewhat overweight and would rather be slimmer for fairly sensible social reasons (society judges fat people, and harshly). Legitimate versions cost so much that a black market was unavoidable, and while I expect prices to moderate in a few years as competition builds, this kind of over-paternalistic medical posture drives people away from the medical route and toward the grey or black market. That does bring added risks, chiefly from other related medical problems going untreated — optimal management of blood lipids, diabetes and pre-diabetes, and hypertension — as well as from exposure to, and possible use of, an entirely different set of peptides that for the most part have no human trials showing they work or are safe.
I get where you're coming from, and I can see the logic behind your point. What's interesting to me is that the article doesn't strike me as paternalistic at all. Instead, my reading is of a doctor who takes the Hippocratic Oath seriously — the oath that binds physicians ethically. What I see is tension: on one side, backing these medications, maybe even actively promoting them, given the remarkable success rates they can produce; on the other, the wide range of outcomes that come with them. Body dysmorphia isn't a myth. Disordered eating isn't a myth either.

For many people, the idea of ever living without obesity was pure fantasy. Now they're going through physical transformations in ways that would have been impossible to picture before. And once someone finds something that works this well, crossing the line into overuse isn't much of a stretch.

I don't know this physician personally, so his motives, his manner with patients, and his overall philosophy are all unknown to me. But I do know this much: it's entirely plausible that he genuinely worries about what his patients are up against, and that he wants to find a way to keep supporting their health as an ethical medical professional.

There's a great deal more I'd like to say, but saying it would expose too much about me in a space where I'd rather stay anonymous than be identifiable. And no — I'm not a physician.

That's my take too. I picked up the same thing from it. He comes across as truly worried about the people under his care.
 
Back
Top