Calm Logic
Explorer
Image unavailable
My biggest GLP-1 ethical problem: patients who don’t want to stop
Some GLP-1 patients are begging to stay on the drugs just a little bit longer, presenting an ethical dilemma for doctors.
www.statnews.com
We’ve gone from weight loss drug shortages to a problem of excess — and eating disorders#-weve-gone-from-weight-loss-drug-shortages-to-a-problem-of-excess-and-eating-disordersBy Jody Dushay, MD
Feb. 19, 2026
...From what I have seen in practice, those on GLP-1 therapies can be grouped into a few distinct groups.
For most — the average responders — body weight drops by 10% to 20% across six to 12 months, and with continued treatment, the bulk of that loss is maintained.
Roughly 5% either cannot tolerate any GLP-1 medication or show no response at all: their weight loss is minimal or absent, or side effects force them to quit.
A further approximately 5% of my patients are super responders, shedding over 25% of their body weight. I have witnessed figures as high as 45%. Genetics probably play at least some role in why certain people fail to respond — or respond excessively — to pharmacologic levels of GLP-1. As of now, no straightforward blood test exists that can forecast how strongly someone will respond.
Sooner or later, at the maximum tolerated GLP-1 dose, every person hits a weight loss plateau. And hardly anyone has told me that the weight at which they plateau is their Goldilocks weight. It happens often that people grow so focused on a particular scale reading that they overlook the enormous gains they have made in overall health. Nearly all of them want to lose more, and I am figuring out in real time how best to support patients whose plateau weight is above what they had envisioned when starting treatment. It feels to me like telling someone who trained for a marathon to be content after 10 kilometers.
What I find hardest, though, is helping people grasp why I believe they have shed too much weight, and why in certain cases I put my foot down about stopping or sharply reducing their GLP-1 dose. The negotiation becomes really tough when someone suggests, “How about if I just stay on the same dose for another few months, in case I gain weight on vacation/after menopause/over the holidays?”
As an endocrinologist, treating eating disorders or disordered eating is not part of my professional training, yet I recognize both when they appear, and sadly I am seeing them with growing frequency.
For individuals dealing with intrusive cravings, relentless food thoughts, and a dulled sense of fullness, GLP-1 therapies are unquestionably transformative. That said, a total absence of appetite is abnormal and goes beyond what GLP therapies ought to produce. The same holds for fear of food and fixation on a particular weight. Red flags include stress at home around mealtimes, friendships strained because social gatherings involving food feel uncomfortable, or a partner, child, or parent believing someone has developed highly abnormal eating habits.
Because they don’t want to reduce their dose or quit the medication, some of my patients downplay GLP-1 side effects — a choice that can result in serious complications. I do not routinely track longitudinal changes in body composition or bone mass among people on GLP-1s, largely because DXA scans are costly, but substantial muscle or bone loss are two objective signs of excessive weight loss that ought to prompt stopping or slowing treatment.
To be sure, I respect that weight loss is a struggle for these patients, and I prescribe and advocate for medication to help people lose weight.
But I am also responsible when a physical or mental health threshold has been crossed. We live in a society where weight is seen as a readout of health, which is as inaccurate as it is unfortunate. Weight and BMI are only one metric of physical and emotional health. Just as important are what a person puts into and does with their body at any weight. The cutoffs for healthy weight based on body mass index (BMI) are plagued by the shortcomings of BMI itself, which should not be used as the only determinant of complicated obesity.
So how do I decide in the moment if a person in front of me is at a healthy weight? I use a collection of objective measurements such as cholesterol levels, blood pressure, waist size, blood sugar, and liver function to support my clinical judgement. I also ask patients what they eat over the course of a typical day, how much physical activity they get, and if they have enough energy to do things they enjoy...
When treatment begins, I aim to learn why someone wants to lose weight, and I steer clear of assigning a numeric weight loss target. Excessive weight loss is real, and my hope is that it will not become something I encounter more frequently as a consequence of GLP-1 therapies.
My biggest GLP-1 ethical problem: patients who don’t want to stop
Some GLP-1 patients are begging to stay on the drugs just a little bit longer, presenting an ethical dilemma for doctors.
www.statnews.com
We’ve gone from weight loss drug shortages to a problem of excess — and eating disorders#-weve-gone-from-weight-loss-drug-shortages-to-a-problem-of-excess-and-eating-disordersBy Jody Dushay, MD
Feb. 19, 2026
...From what I have seen in practice, those on GLP-1 therapies can be grouped into a few distinct groups.
For most — the average responders — body weight drops by 10% to 20% across six to 12 months, and with continued treatment, the bulk of that loss is maintained.
Roughly 5% either cannot tolerate any GLP-1 medication or show no response at all: their weight loss is minimal or absent, or side effects force them to quit.
A further approximately 5% of my patients are super responders, shedding over 25% of their body weight. I have witnessed figures as high as 45%. Genetics probably play at least some role in why certain people fail to respond — or respond excessively — to pharmacologic levels of GLP-1. As of now, no straightforward blood test exists that can forecast how strongly someone will respond.
Sooner or later, at the maximum tolerated GLP-1 dose, every person hits a weight loss plateau. And hardly anyone has told me that the weight at which they plateau is their Goldilocks weight. It happens often that people grow so focused on a particular scale reading that they overlook the enormous gains they have made in overall health. Nearly all of them want to lose more, and I am figuring out in real time how best to support patients whose plateau weight is above what they had envisioned when starting treatment. It feels to me like telling someone who trained for a marathon to be content after 10 kilometers.
What I find hardest, though, is helping people grasp why I believe they have shed too much weight, and why in certain cases I put my foot down about stopping or sharply reducing their GLP-1 dose. The negotiation becomes really tough when someone suggests, “How about if I just stay on the same dose for another few months, in case I gain weight on vacation/after menopause/over the holidays?”
As an endocrinologist, treating eating disorders or disordered eating is not part of my professional training, yet I recognize both when they appear, and sadly I am seeing them with growing frequency.
For individuals dealing with intrusive cravings, relentless food thoughts, and a dulled sense of fullness, GLP-1 therapies are unquestionably transformative. That said, a total absence of appetite is abnormal and goes beyond what GLP therapies ought to produce. The same holds for fear of food and fixation on a particular weight. Red flags include stress at home around mealtimes, friendships strained because social gatherings involving food feel uncomfortable, or a partner, child, or parent believing someone has developed highly abnormal eating habits.
Because they don’t want to reduce their dose or quit the medication, some of my patients downplay GLP-1 side effects — a choice that can result in serious complications. I do not routinely track longitudinal changes in body composition or bone mass among people on GLP-1s, largely because DXA scans are costly, but substantial muscle or bone loss are two objective signs of excessive weight loss that ought to prompt stopping or slowing treatment.
To be sure, I respect that weight loss is a struggle for these patients, and I prescribe and advocate for medication to help people lose weight.
But I am also responsible when a physical or mental health threshold has been crossed. We live in a society where weight is seen as a readout of health, which is as inaccurate as it is unfortunate. Weight and BMI are only one metric of physical and emotional health. Just as important are what a person puts into and does with their body at any weight. The cutoffs for healthy weight based on body mass index (BMI) are plagued by the shortcomings of BMI itself, which should not be used as the only determinant of complicated obesity.
So how do I decide in the moment if a person in front of me is at a healthy weight? I use a collection of objective measurements such as cholesterol levels, blood pressure, waist size, blood sugar, and liver function to support my clinical judgement. I also ask patients what they eat over the course of a typical day, how much physical activity they get, and if they have enough energy to do things they enjoy...
When treatment begins, I aim to learn why someone wants to lose weight, and I steer clear of assigning a numeric weight loss target. Excessive weight loss is real, and my hope is that it will not become something I encounter more frequently as a consequence of GLP-1 therapies.