MT-1, MC1R Activation, and Atherosclerosis ~ It's not just a tan!

trojanpeptide

Explorer
Joined
Nov 9, 2025
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatoon, canada
I'd like to pass along a report to everyone here. It concerns MT-1 (aka Melanotan-1, Afamelanotide) and the way it acts on the cardiovascular system. After going over it thoroughly with Anthropic, I thought it was compelling enough that others might want a look. The topic is the possibility that MT-1 may shield the vasculature against atherosclerosis. To be clear, an AI engine did not generate the whole thing, but Anthropic was used for discussion, analysis, and to shape a clear, compact report. A .pdf is attached for anyone who wants it.

Abstract

Melanocortin 1 Receptor (MC1R) activation has come forward as a possible safeguard in how atherosclerosis begins and advances. Through MC1R signaling, macrophages handle lipids differently, inflammatory signals are modulated, endothelial function is affected, and plaque makeup changes. Findings from experiments show that turning on MC1R cuts foam cell formation, boosts reverse cholesterol transport, makes atherosclerotic plaques more stable, and betters vascular biology. Synthetic agonists like Afamelanotide — also called Melanotan-I (MT-1) or NDP-MSH — copy endogenous melanocortin peptides and might strengthen these protective routes. Even though most current evidence comes from mechanistic work and animal models, the biological picture hints that MC1R agonism could be a disease-modifying approach to atherosclerosis.
 
soapysnake said:

Does MT-2 work the same way?
That's a good question. From what I know, MT2 is more promiscuous than MT1, meaning it affects more Melanocortin 1 Receptors than MT1 does, notably MC4R. I believe MT2 is also harder on your cardiovascular parameters, BP, HR, than MT1. I just ran the question thru an AI because I didn't want to guess at anything else:





f5e38943c7138af386eae483ec1228f1134fade11eb76b5187fa104ed88d56b9.webp


kinda what i wrote down. EDIT: I notice no MC3R activity from MT1 but I think that's wrong.

If you are after the cardiovascular benefits, I'd stick to MT-1.
 
There's something else I ought to include in this writeup. AMPK activation and mTORc downregulation are additional effects MT-1 should have.

0e58b41382f53741b8fd74a1a50c1ddd7ad8c93645252e697e5dcf9b61e43471.webp


A figure covering all of it is attached. To me, at least, this strikes me as genuinely novel.

Would you like me to put together the writeup for this?
 
trojanpeptide said:

There's something else I ought to include in this writeup. AMPK activation and mTORc downregulation are additional effects MT-1 should have.

View attachment 11728

A figure covering all of it is attached. To me, at least, this strikes me as genuinely novel.

Would you like me to put together the writeup for this?

Go ahead and give it your best shot. Hit us with the science. I'm even open to a bit of bro science paired with a Freudian take, haha.

Have you checked out the supplement natto as well? I'm on it now, together with vitamin K2 (MK7). Still, I've been putting off trying my MT1 for too long.

Good to know MT1 offers more upside than I realized. There's also some crosstalk among all the melanocortin receptors (MC1R through MC5R), which extends to things like setmelanotide and PT-141.
 
Calm Logic said:

trojanpeptide said:

There's something else I ought to include in this writeup. AMPK activation and mTORc downregulation are additional effects MT-1 should have.

View attachment 11728

A figure covering all of it is attached. To me, at least, this strikes me as genuinely novel.

Would you like me to put together the writeup for this?

Go ahead and give it your best shot. Hit us with the science. I'm even open to a bit of bro science paired with a Freudian take, haha.

Have you checked out the supplement natto as well? I'm on it now, together with vitamin K2 (MK7). Still, I've been putting off trying my MT1 for too long.

Good to know MT1 offers more upside than I realized. There's also some crosstalk among all the melanocortin receptors (MC1R through MC5R), which extends to things like setmelanotide and PT-141.
Yes, I have nattokinase, though I stopped taking it since my supplement stack is already quite extensive. This is the stack. I do take K2 alongside vitamin D. I regret not remembering which brand combined 5000 iu of vitamin D with 200 of K2 — someone shared it and I didn't catch the details.
 
Calm Logic said:

trojanpeptide said:

There's something else I ought to include in this writeup. AMPK activation and mTORc downregulation are additional effects MT-1 should have.

View attachment 11728

A figure covering all of it is attached. To me, at least, this strikes me as genuinely novel.

Would you like me to put together the writeup for this?

Go ahead and give it your best shot. Hit us with the science. I'm even open to a bit of bro science paired with a Freudian take, haha.

Have you checked out the supplement natto as well? I'm on it now, together with vitamin K2 (MK7). Still, I've been putting off trying my MT1 for too long.

Good to know MT1 offers more upside than I realized. There's also some crosstalk among all the melanocortin receptors (MC1R through MC5R), which extends to things like setmelanotide and PT-141.
Is that the natto Chopped contestants get stuck with in their baskets just to mess with them? It's a fermented soybean paste, looks gross, and from what I hear it reeks.
 
yrrdead said:

Calm Logic said:

trojanpeptide said:

There's something else I ought to include in this writeup. AMPK activation and mTORc downregulation are additional effects MT-1 should have.

View attachment 11728

A figure covering all of it is attached. To me, at least, this strikes me as genuinely novel.

Would you like me to put together the writeup for this?

Go ahead and give it your best shot. Hit us with the science. I'm even open to a bit of bro science paired with a Freudian take, haha.

Have you checked out the supplement natto as well? I'm on it now, together with vitamin K2 (MK7). Still, I've been putting off trying my MT1 for too long.

Good to know MT1 offers more upside than I realized. There's also some crosstalk among all the melanocortin receptors (MC1R through MC5R), which extends to things like setmelanotide and PT-141.
Is that the natto Chopped contestants get stuck with in their baskets just to mess with them? It's a fermented soybean paste, looks gross, and from what I hear it reeks.
When tucked into rice balls, it's delicious. That said, the mouthfeel is something that may put some folks off.
 
Back
Top