HouseCat said:
kazza94x said:
HouseCat said:
kazza94x said:
HouseCat said:
Something I feel is worth bringing up here—and I've brought it up in a few other threads already—is how tirz has affected my Body Focused Repetitive Disorder (compulsive skin picking, which falls under OCD and is also linked to trichotillomania)…my symptoms have dropped a lot, and that was a big plus I never saw coming. Between that and the weight loss, this drug has changed my life in ways I didn't anticipate. The obsessive thoughts are still there, but they're far weaker now and my appearance isn't suffering because of them anymore. Huge boost to my confidence!
That's amazing!! Once you quit tirz, do you figure these gains will stick around, or has tirz become a permanent fixture for you?
OCD is something I deal with too, and putting my face out there is something I really dislike, but I get the sense that now is the moment to be brave. Your self-assurance and sharp mind are qualities I truly adore. The manner in which you break things down and express yourself is simply next level
You're way too nice, honestly!! Hugs! Your new avatar is great—sweet face, and that cat looks sweet too! Good for you for putting yourself out there!
If I quit taking it, I doubt the symptom relief would hold up. During PMS, a lot of the urges tirz keeps in check—food, binging, sugar/salt cravings, skin picking—get stronger, so I figure my hormones are partly overriding what the medicine does to the obsessive side of my brain. Following that logic, I'm fairly sure everything would return if I stopped. But I intend to stay on this for life. Off meds, I have almost no control over wanting food, and given all the benefits—heart-related and beyond—plus no real drawbacks for me beyond what a bit of Mag07 handles, there's no reason to quit.
The one urge that doesn't rise with my cycle is wanting alcohol, which has remained really low ever since I started tirz. I think I could keep that up without tirz, mainly because drinking has shifted in society and around me. In grad school—when I drank daily for the alcohol's effects, not to socialize—we used it to handle stress and unwind fast, but that setting is behind me. Not drinking is very in style, and NA choices are easy to find everywhere. Also, with cannabis legal in my state and lots of others, there are other ways (better and healthier, based on data from the early legal states) to relax.
Aww, thanks so much! Yep, that's my tiny Ivy — she's 1 and a half and a total menace lol.
I've got 3 more fur babies, but there's no way they'd all squeeze into the picture lol.
That insight is great — you're really tuned in to your body and you know precisely which things set off which reactions. That level of self awareness is remarkable.
I'm on yaz for pelvic congestion syndrome, so I don't get pms or a period, though cravings still pop up now and then. Mostly sugary drinks lol
Wow, do you have any idea what pulls you toward alcohol M? Is it the stress you brought up, or something else? Sorry if I'm prying. No pressure to answer.
Cannabis is definitely a solid option when you want something to relax with. I tried some while on reta and it ended up making me hungry, so I hope that doesn't hit you the same way. With legalisation, hopefully there'll be more strains to pick from, so you can go with whatever suits you rather than settling for whatever the local dealer happens to have.
Getting to this level of self-understanding took years. Along the way, I had support from doctors and mental health providers, instructors in yoga, clergy (although I don't believe in God, I deeply value what faith can teach and the strength it gives people), practices like visualization and mindfulness, plus a handful of trips to an ashram nearby.
My relationship with alcohol has several sides. One thing I appreciate is how it quiets my mind — I tend to overthink constantly — and it makes social situations much easier, particularly when shyness kicks in or I'm feeling overstimulated. Stress is another area where I've leaned on it, for the same reason: it turns down the volume on my brain and those nagging prefrontal cortex thoughts. That said, it's a poor strategy for handling stress, especially given that some of my worst choices ever happened when I was tipsy or drunk — seriously bad decision territory!
Part of my pull toward alcohol is cultural too. My dad's side is Irish American and strongly tied to Irish Catholic identity, and drinking plays a massive role in that culture — possibly even more than among people actually in Ireland, judging by how wildly we celebrate St. Patty's Day! For example, getting alcohol in Ireland during Holy Week isn't easy, but in the US, almost nobody cares except the very devout. Historically, my family get-togethers involved a lot of drinking. These days it's less so, now that my Gen Z cousins are all old enough and the older generations are more focused on aging healthily. My father-in-law (WASP) is really into wine, and sharing his favorite vintages is how he expresses affection.
When I'm tipsy, I get nothing done — chatting and occasionally darts is about all I can manage! And if depression has me in its grip, alcohol barely registers. Perhaps that's because it's a depressant, so there's nowhere further down for it to push me when I'm already at the bottom! That's just my own theory, no science or evidence behind it.
Legalization has been a wonderful thing! Dispensary staff are incredibly well-informed! There's such a range of strains and ways to consume. With my digestion slowed by GLP-1s (on top of my already slow metabolism), edibles take foreeeever to kick in now, but drinks like the sodas hit me just as fast as they do anyone else. Before tirz, I never experienced munchies, but perhaps because I eat so much less these days, cannabis flips on the hunger and craving switches more? Not sure, but I make sure to stay hydrated to fight off that "put things in your mouth right now please!" urge and keep slow-to-eat snacks around me — in-shell sunflower seeds, light popcorn, that kind of thing. Stuff that encourages nibbling instead of scarfing. It doesn't happen every time, but far more often than it used to.