Mental Health Corner

kazza94x

Explorer
Joined
May 25, 2026
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Location
Nunya
A space set aside for those dealing with mental health conditions, personality disorders, autism and similar, so we can pool thoughts on motivation and tactics worth passing on. Naturally, this isn't a substitute for a qualified mental health professional, but having a spot where people feel safe matters.

Please think about it.
 
Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
 
BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
I get what you're saying, but there would be guidelines in place for that corner to keep everyone safe. Mental health inclusion ought to exist everywhere, and right now this forum doesn't have it, which is a shame.
 
You mean well, I can tell. But this kind of thing ought to be brought up with @ZippityDooDah, since he owns the forum. If rules are going to be set for the forum—or any section of it—then as far as I can tell, that needs his approval. I'm not sure where he stands when it comes to rules made by users.
 
BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
Right — there are plenty of forceful characters around here.

Bringing in folks who are already aware they have a personality disorder, alongside people who are just starting to look into their mental health or neurodivergent issues, probably isn't a good idea.



A personality disorder is made up of "deeply ingrained, rigid patterns" that don't budge much, even with therapy. Someone with such a disorder is unlikely to see their own traits and behaviors clearly, to grasp how those affect other people, or to be able to feel empathy.

Such people usually see themselves as the ones being wronged and frequently avoid owning what they do. The way they view things and act tends to bring chaos and pain to others, and that would make keeping a safe, supportive space hard.

Naturally, they almost certainly don't realize they have a personality disorder! Simply avoid going out of your way to invite anyone who does know they have one.
 
I’m with the idea that the intention is good. Openly talking about mental health and making it a normal topic matters, and having spaces for that kind of discussion is valuable. Still, I wonder whether this forum is really the right venue for it. I’m not convinced this is the proper place. That said, if it does get implemented, I would be happy to participate and do my best to help keep it a good place for anyone.
 
Vriende said:

BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
Right — there are plenty of forceful characters around here.

Bringing in folks who are already aware they have a personality disorder, alongside people who are just starting to look into their mental health or neurodivergent issues, probably isn't a good idea.



A personality disorder is made up of "deeply ingrained, rigid patterns" that don't budge much, even with therapy. Someone with such a disorder is unlikely to see their own traits and behaviors clearly, to grasp how those affect other people, or to be able to feel empathy.

Such people usually see themselves as the ones being wronged and frequently avoid owning what they do. The way they view things and act tends to bring chaos and pain to others, and that would make keeping a safe, supportive space hard.

Naturally, they almost certainly don't realize they have a personality disorder! Simply avoid going out of your way to invite anyone who does know they have one.
Wait, what? Having a personality disorder doesn't automatically make someone dangerous. I live with one, and it sounds like you're picturing antisocial personality disorder (psychopathy), yet plenty of other personality disorders stem from serious trauma. I get that this is how you see it, and honestly your post just shows exactly why a mental health corner is necessary. You've lumped every personality disorder together without really knowing anything about them. Still, that's fine. You're strong minded.
 
Pocket said:

I’m with the idea that the intention is good. Openly talking about mental health and making it a normal topic matters, and having spaces for that kind of discussion is valuable. Still, I wonder whether this forum is really the right venue for it. I’m not convinced this is the proper place. That said, if it does get implemented, I would be happy to participate and do my best to help keep it a good place for anyone.
I appreciate that. Every day, people bring up their MH in this space, so I believe having a separate, secure area is the best way for all of us to talk there.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

You mean well, I can tell. But this kind of thing ought to be brought up with @ZippityDooDah, since he owns the forum. If rules are going to be set for the forum—or any section of it—then as far as I can tell, that needs his approval. I'm not sure where he stands when it comes to rules made by users.
This is just an idea I put in the suggestions section; the decision isn't mine. Still, I think I should speak up for those dealing with mental health issues, since posting in an area full of forceful personalities who jump to conclusions without grasping the thinking behind them doesn't always feel safe to me. I hope that clears up my reason for proposing it.
 
Dropping in fast — I've been occupied since early this afternoon assisting neighbors in getting their truck and camper ready for a long trip they're departing on tomorrow.

I don't oppose having a mental health section, but a "Chronic Conditions" section already exists, meant to address the range of other conditions people are dealing with while on GLP-1s. On top of that, the current count of forum sections is starting to feel a bit too chaotic, and I'm considering ways to consolidate some content.

I'll keep the suggestion in mind and discuss it with the mods to hear their views, then ultimately determine the best approach for mental health and similar topics. Be aware that no timeline exists, so changes could take quite a while.
 
ZippityDooDah said:

Dropping in fast — I've been occupied since early this afternoon assisting neighbors in getting their truck and camper ready for a long trip they're departing on tomorrow.

I don't oppose having a mental health section, but a "Chronic Conditions" section already exists, meant to address the range of other conditions people are dealing with while on GLP-1s. On top of that, the current count of forum sections is starting to feel a bit too chaotic, and I'm considering ways to consolidate some content.

I'll keep the suggestion in mind and discuss it with the mods to hear their views, then ultimately determine the best approach for mental health and similar topics. Be aware that no timeline exists, so changes could take quite a while.
I appreciate you taking this into account. I'll check whether the chronic conditions section includes a mental health space, so that we can keep everything in one place.
 
kazza94x said:

Vriende said:

BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
Right — there are plenty of forceful characters around here.

Bringing in folks who are already aware they have a personality disorder, alongside people who are just starting to look into their mental health or neurodivergent issues, probably isn't a good idea.



A personality disorder is made up of "deeply ingrained, rigid patterns" that don't budge much, even with therapy. Someone with such a disorder is unlikely to see their own traits and behaviors clearly, to grasp how those affect other people, or to be able to feel empathy.

Such people usually see themselves as the ones being wronged and frequently avoid owning what they do. The way they view things and act tends to bring chaos and pain to others, and that would make keeping a safe, supportive space hard.

Naturally, they almost certainly don't realize they have a personality disorder! Simply avoid going out of your way to invite anyone who does know they have one.
Wait, what? Having a personality disorder doesn't automatically make someone dangerous. I live with one, and it sounds like you're picturing antisocial personality disorder (psychopathy), yet plenty of other personality disorders stem from serious trauma. I get that this is how you see it, and honestly your post just shows exactly why a mental health corner is necessary. You've lumped every personality disorder together without really knowing anything about them. Still, that's fine. You're strong minded.

Which is what needed to be shown

My argument stands 🥸
 
Vriende said:

BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
Right — there are plenty of forceful characters around here.

Bringing in folks who are already aware they have a personality disorder, alongside people who are just starting to look into their mental health or neurodivergent issues, probably isn't a good idea.



A personality disorder is made up of "deeply ingrained, rigid patterns" that don't budge much, even with therapy. Someone with such a disorder is unlikely to see their own traits and behaviors clearly, to grasp how those affect other people, or to be able to feel empathy.

Such people usually see themselves as the ones being wronged and frequently avoid owning what they do. The way they view things and act tends to bring chaos and pain to others, and that would make keeping a safe, supportive space hard.

Naturally, they almost certainly don't realize they have a personality disorder! Simply avoid going out of your way to invite anyone who does know they have one.
That's exactly right. It's an extremely challenging disorder to manage, address, and recover from.
 
kazza94x said:

HereKittyKitty said:

You mean well, I can tell. But this kind of thing ought to be brought up with @ZippityDooDah, since he owns the forum. If rules are going to be set for the forum—or any section of it—then as far as I can tell, that needs his approval. I'm not sure where he stands when it comes to rules made by users.
This is just an idea I put in the suggestions section; the decision isn't mine. Still, I think I should speak up for those dealing with mental health issues, since posting in an area full of forceful personalities who jump to conclusions without grasping the thinking behind them doesn't always feel safe to me. I hope that clears up my reason for proposing it.
I think it's wonderful, and over in the suggestion area I shared some information hoping it would be useful to you. Your good intentions came through, and I said so. It really is a lovely idea, and plainly a sincere one.

Because what you want isn't just another thread but a "corner" with moderation built in, I pointed you toward the site owner. That isn't a tiny ask; it's a fairly substantial build that could demand more time and focus than there is capacity to give it.

A lot of people treat Mental Health as a polite stand-in for mental health struggles, problems, or illness. The truth is that whether or not problems exist, Mental Health is 1 component of everybody's health!

Just because I didn't agree with you right away doesn't mean I failed to grasp your point. You laid your idea out clearly when you introduced it. I got what you were requesting.

Speaking as a person who lives with PTSD, thank you for wanting the spaces you're part of to be deliberately inclusive ones.
 
This is something I can get behind, particularly because so many people around here seem to be ND. Beyond that, I believe discussing mental health hygiene alongside diagnosed differences, illnesses and disorders matters broadly, since it helps reduce stigma. If this ends up being relocated to the Chronic Conditions section, I'll be watching for it there.

Media portrayals that frame borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and similar conditions as violent by nature really get under my skin. On the flip side, I enjoy hearing about well-known individuals, both living and deceased, who have mental differences. Seeing the ways people with every kind of brain add to culture, art and science is wonderful.
 
Vriende said:

BBA1969 said:

Setting up something like this sounds like a solid concept. That said, I'm not sure this forum is the best fit for it.

Plenty of friendly folks are here, sure, but I've run into some people with "strong opinions" too, and their responses might not be all that tactful.
Right — there are plenty of forceful characters around here.

Bringing in folks who are already aware they have a personality disorder, alongside people who are just starting to look into their mental health or neurodivergent issues, probably isn't a good idea.



A personality disorder is made up of "deeply ingrained, rigid patterns" that don't budge much, even with therapy. Someone with such a disorder is unlikely to see their own traits and behaviors clearly, to grasp how those affect other people, or to be able to feel empathy.

Such people usually see themselves as the ones being wronged and frequently avoid owning what they do. The way they view things and act tends to bring chaos and pain to others, and that would make keeping a safe, supportive space hard.

Naturally, they almost certainly don't realize they have a personality disorder! Simply avoid going out of your way to invite anyone who does know they have one.
I don't know whether you work in a clinical role......Although certain fundamental personality characteristics are mentioned in this thread, those characteristics differ depending on which dx is being discussed. Every D/O has its own highly specific criteria. From the perspective of someone without clinical training, or even someone who lives with one of these conditions, what's written here might come across as negative in this setting, whether or not that was the intention, even with the broad framing. That's exactly why the internet, or spaces that aren't focused on this cause, might not be the right fit.
 
HouseCat said:

This is something I can get behind, particularly because so many people around here seem to be ND. Beyond that, I believe discussing mental health hygiene alongside diagnosed differences, illnesses and disorders matters broadly, since it helps reduce stigma. If this ends up being relocated to the Chronic Conditions section, I'll be watching for it there.

Media portrayals that frame borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and similar conditions as violent by nature really get under my skin. On the flip side, I enjoy hearing about well-known individuals, both living and deceased, who have mental differences. Seeing the ways people with every kind of brain add to culture, art and science is wonderful.
Those broad-brush portrayals irritate me too. When it comes to people who genuinely have Schizophrenia, violent conduct has historically been very uncommon to minimal (Psychosis is a separate matter). With Bipolar (regardless of which cycle) and BPD, harm toward other people generally does not happen (draining, sure, that can happen). The greater risk they carry is toward themselves, especially through recklessness. That said, any individual can become violent, whether they have a diagnosis or not.
 
I agree with the people saying that a sidebar this significant doesn't belong on this forum. I'm not convinced it ought to be a "corner" tied to any one group either. A separate, dedicated page makes more sense.

The OP holds professional credentials in this area, so naturally the topic carries great weight in her world, and I can see that her worry stems from a good place - yet even so, I don't believe this is the right right venue or the right readers.

Plenty of other worthy causes could just as reasonably ask for the same amount of room: LGBTQ, cancer sufferers, the grief stricken, amputees, veterans, seniors, etc. Every one of them deserves sympathy, support, attention, care. Every one of them deserves a space of its own.
 
reta-stacker said:

I agree with the people saying that a sidebar this significant doesn't belong on this forum. I'm not convinced it ought to be a "corner" tied to any one group either. A separate, dedicated page makes more sense.

The OP holds professional credentials in this area, so naturally the topic carries great weight in her world, and I can see that her worry stems from a good place - yet even so, I don't believe this is the right right venue or the right readers.

Plenty of other worthy causes could just as reasonably ask for the same amount of room: LGBTQ, cancer sufferers, the grief stricken, amputees, veterans, seniors, etc. Every one of them deserves sympathy, support, attention, care. Every one of them deserves a space of its own.
The name of this forum makes the main focus fairly obvious: GLP-1s should be at the center of most topics and content. That naturally covers conversations about handling side effects, various conditions, and broader health and wellness matters while using GLP-1s, because these medications have an ever-expanding range of effects on many parts of life, well beyond blood sugar control and losing weight.

As a result, topics such as mental health, addiction, ASD, and similar subjects as they relate to GLP-1s are both permitted and welcomed.

A key element of the member-helping-member approach here is that a great many of us share strikingly similar life experiences—among them numerous other health issues and conditions—so we will surely come across others facing very comparable circumstances, and that is an incredibly valuable resource for that purpose. For me, continuing to nurture a space for support, ideas, and suggestions on coping with those difficulties is among the most rewarding aspects of running this forum.

With that said, it must always be kept in mind that nothing here should be taken as medical advice, and consulting your own licensed medical professionals is always the first and most important step for everyone. Conversations about mental health and other matters that fall outside the relationship with GLP-1s are likely better suited to different (and more specialized) platforms.
 
Back
Top