Melanotan I or II?

Both have been on my list of things I've experimented with, though I didn't push things far because mt2 kicked in so quickly that it honestly alarmed me. From what I gather, mt2 produces a tan sooner and darkens moles and freckles a lot more, and that happens even when you aren't getting any sun. With mt1, sun exposure is required for it to do anything, and it sounds like only the skin that sees sunlight ends up darker. As for mt2, one upside and downside rolled together is that it ramps up libido. I've heard it described as erections like a middle school boy. Regarding the muddy or dirty-looking tan some people talk about, like a poorly done spray tan, I've come across conflicting reports for both peptides. That possibility worried me enough that I quit mt2. My take is that at the start, whichever peptide you pick, you'd want full-body sun or tanning bed exposure so the color comes out even.

These days I take mt1 before heading out to mow, wearing shorts plus a tank top, since those are the only areas of skin I'll ever have on display anyway. Whether it will darken only the sun-exposed spots is something I still haven't figured out. It seems like it might be adding a little color to the areas under my clothes as well, though only faintly. I keep going back and forth on whether to shock my kids by standing nude on the balcony to get color everywhere, but explaining that would be awkward.
 
Why I went with MT-1 (pardon me repeating myself):

Which receptors it hits: MT-1 acts only on MC1R, the one tied to melanin creation. MT-2, on the other hand, latches onto MC1R plus MC3R, MC4R and MC5R. That wider reach is why MT-2 brings body-wide reactions that MT-1 does not — queasiness, a drop in hunger, shifts in mood, and effects on sexual function.

How safe it looks: MT-1 comes with a stronger paper trail on safety and fewer adverse events on record. With MT-2, queasiness is a frequent complaint, particularly as the dose climbs, and people often need something for nausea beforehand.

Protection from the sun: MT-1 gives real photoprotection and teams up with UV, cutting how much UV you need by ~50%. MT-2 will darken skin even with no UV at all, but it does not offer that shielding effect.

Where the FDA stands: For MT-1 there is an approved implant, SCENESSE®, used for uncommon medical conditions — a sign of clinical backing. MT-2 is still research-only.

Ease of dosing: With MT-1 you inject 2-3x per day, though the overall amount is smaller (0.5-1mg/day). With MT-2 it is 0.25-1mg each day, or 2-3x per week, but you deal with more side effect management.

What you give up: MT-2 throws in sexual enhancement and appetite suppression as extras; MT-1 is only about tanning and skin health.
 
(cross-posted from a parallel discussion) --

My routine is just 250mcg at intervals of a few weeks, and that keeps my tan at the level I like.

MT1 (afamelanotide) was my pick since I view it as the gentler option.

Fewer side effects have been reported with it, the tan comes out more uniform, and its safety profile is likely superior to MT2.

As a prescription medication, it received FDA approval for erythropoietic protoporphyria, a condition involving painful sensitivity to sunlight.
 
Personally, I plan to start with MT-2, though I suppose it comes down to your own goals.
 
Back
Top