Mega Thread - Reta foods that work / foods that did not

gimmeshelter

Explorer
Joined
Feb 22, 2026
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
I realize there are already plenty of posts about this..... Could we put together a mega thread listing foods that worked for you and foods that did not?

If this is redundant, delete it. The goal is to build a living, long-running thread for people new to Reta so they can figure out their nutrition starting on day #1.

Thank u !
 
Threads like this tend to turn into low-carb, protein-obsessed hype pretty fast. Fiber helps, haha.

People who lift weights act like reta is a total revolution next to tirz. In reality, they overlap a lot, and tirz activates 2 of the 3 receptors.

I enjoy protein shakes as much as the next person, but meat-based protein usually isn't the best choice for heart health:

Gemini said:


Most high-quality whey isolates actually remove the fat and cholesterol, but they still lack the fiber and phytonutrients found in plants.

Click to expand...

The GLP (tirz) diet thread I liked most was actually pro-carb and pro-starch:

DwightTheDelight said:


High carb, moderate protein, low fat plus a day or two of fasting per month is melting this saggy azz.

Click to expand...

To hold onto muscle, I occasionally use GH peptides (alongside creatine and lifting weights).
 
Calm Logic said:

Threads like this tend to turn into low-carb, protein-obsessed hype pretty fast. Fiber helps, haha.

People who lift weights act like reta is a total revolution next to tirz. In reality, they overlap a lot, and tirz activates 2 of the 3 receptors.

I enjoy protein shakes as much as the next person, but meat-based protein usually isn't the best choice for heart health:

Gemini said:


Most high-quality whey isolates actually remove the fat and cholesterol, but they still lack the fiber and phytonutrients found in plants.

Click to expand...

The GLP (tirz) diet thread I liked most was actually pro-carb and pro-starch:

DwightTheDelight said:


High carb, moderate protein, low fat plus a day or two of fasting per month is melting this saggy azz.

Click to expand...

To hold onto muscle, I occasionally use GH peptides (alongside creatine and lifting weights).

Calm Logic said:

Threads like this tend to turn into low-carb, protein-obsessed hype pretty fast. Fiber helps, haha.

People who lift weights act like reta is a total revolution next to tirz. In reality, they overlap a lot, and tirz activates 2 of the 3 receptors.

I enjoy protein shakes as much as the next person, but meat-based protein usually isn't the best choice for heart health:

Gemini said:


Most high-quality whey isolates actually remove the fat and cholesterol, but they still lack the fiber and phytonutrients found in plants.

Click to expand...

The GLP (tirz) diet thread I liked most was actually pro-carb and pro-starch:

DwightTheDelight said:


High carb, moderate protein, low fat plus a day or two of fasting per month is melting this saggy azz.

Click to expand...

To hold onto muscle, I occasionally use GH peptides (alongside creatine and lifting weights).
If it turns out to be pointless, I'll remove it.
 
Not a waste of time. This forum—like most, Reddit included—leans more bro than science when it comes to the protein hype.

For health, the scientific consensus points to a Mediterranean, plant-based diet as the best option.

With GLPs, carbs become even more of a viable option for weight loss.
 
Calm Logic said:

Not a waste of time. This forum—like most, Reddit included—leans more bro than science when it comes to the protein hype.

For health, the scientific consensus points to a Mediterranean, plant-based diet as the best option.

With GLPs, carbs become even more of a viable option for weight loss.
Does that also perform nicely when taking Reta? In other words, does it support maintaining muscle while lifting, and does it avoid making you feel unwell?
 
Vegan, starch-based eating plans also work for NFL players.

I don't follow a vegan diet myself. My point is simply that the protein hype has gotten out of hand.

Fat is what the body stores, not protein:

Gemini said:


If you eat 300g of protein, and your body can only use 30g for muscle repair in a 4-hour window, the rest is stripped of its nitrogen (which stresses the kidneys) and converted into glucose or fat.

Click to expand...

Starches can support fullness too, and they carry fewer calories per volume; protein is not the only thing that helps with satiety. Beans deliver both advantages at once.
 
Here is a table that sums up various foods, drawn from the threads I located (listed below):

Gemini said:


The Ultimate Retatrutide & GLP-1 Food Consensus

Based on an extensive review of community discussions, here is the definitive breakdown of the most effective foods for those on Reta. The shift is clearly toward high-volume starches, legumes, and "clean" proteins that avoid the heavy digestive weight of traditional "protein-hype" diets.

Member Insights & Specific Food Strategies​

Member UsernameThe "Reta" Diet Strategy / QuoteCategory / Specific FoodCalm Logic"Plain sweet potatoes."High-Volume / Sweet Potatoneo6488"I've been enjoying an avocado with everything bagel seasoning on it."Healthy Fats / AvocadoGrogu"Fairlife milk (will never drink or use regular milk again)... Fairlife Protein Shakes."Filtered Dairy / FairlifeAxlBundy"Addicted to mixing vanilla whey into fat free Greek yogurts... sometimes I add cinnamon and Splenda."Light Protein / Greek Yogurtbbbilly"i have an unhealthy love for cottage cheese... 540cals for 72g of protein."Light Protein / Cottage Cheeseconzopiriani"Fresh berries! I feel like Marie Antoinette throwing back those pints."Antioxidants / BerriesFartfulCodger"Chicken breast and shrimp are the kings of natural protein."Lean Animal Protein / ShrimpRomulusguy"Scallops and shrimp are easy to cook in an oven or pan."Clean Seafood / ScallopsFilterOrDeath"I drink Nurri because it is the consistency of water and has 30g of protein."Hydration / Nurri Shakesr4000"Plain greek yogurt with 1.5 scoops of double chocolate protein powder, a few peanuts and blueberries."Snack / Yogurt & PeanutschunkyTN"I've been obsessed with two things. Apple slices with peanut butter."Volume Snack / Apples & PBrandompersonrandom"Eating a reasonable amount of fish plus a lot of fake meat (smart dogs, plant based chicken)."Plant-Based / Meat SubsMayostardayonnaise"Barebells Banana Caramel protein bars are really good, plus they have fiber."Fiber Supplement / Barsskeptick"I got 14 laying hens... I try to eat 6 hard-boiled chicken embryos [eggs] a day."Whole Food / Eggs

Click to expand...

Gemini's takeaway reflects my own leaning:

Gemini said:


The "Reta" Metabolic Reality: Why Starches Win​

The common obsession with hitting 200g+ of protein often ignores basic human physiology: The body doesn't store protein; it stores fat. Any excess protein is simply deaminated by the liver, stripped of its nitrogen (stressing the kidneys), and converted into glucose or stored as adipose tissue.

On a triple-agonist like Retatrutide, your strategy should shift:

  • Glycogen is Muscle Sparing: By eating high-volume starches (potatoes, rice, oats), you provide the clean glucose your brain and muscles need. This "spares" the protein you do eat for its actual job: structural repair.
  • Volume Satiety vs. Caloric Density: 500 calories of boiled potatoes occupies significantly more physical space in the stomach than 500 calories of steak. On Reta, lean into that mechanical "stretch" satiety to keep "food noise" at zero.
  • The Fiber-LDL Connection: For those of us monitoring cardiovascular health, the soluble fiber in beans and starches is our best tool for pulling LDL out of the system—something a high-meat "protein-heavy" diet simply cannot do.

Bottom Line: Stop chasing the protein hype and start fueling the machine. If you’re eating enough calories from whole-food starches and legumes, your protein needs are almost certainly being met while your performance and recovery stay at an all-time high.

Click to expand...

The threads I located:


What are your favorite foods/snacks?



What have your favorite foods/snacks been on your journey? Is there anything now that you can't eat anymore/makes you sick?

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Starting Reta



Hey all just want to say this forum has been so helpful, I’m on the younger side of people using Reta and been navigating the world of peps for around a month. I just ordered my first 30mg vial of Reta and I have everything I need. My main questions are what diet I should try to stick too/...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




What diet worked for you on reta?



Hey, I’m about to start my first reta cycle so I’m looking to learn more about what works and what don’t. I have usually done a 60-72 (about 3 days) hour fast to lose weight/fat. I’m able to do this maybe once every two months or so. But every time it’s extremely difficult due to the immense...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Americans Are Obsessed With Protein and It’s Driving Nutrition Experts Nuts



Wall Street Journal, Americans Are Obsessed With Protein and It’s Driving Nutrition Experts Nuts - Food companies pack the nutrient into candy, coffee and even water; ‘How about a chicken breast, people?’

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




What's your favorite less-ordinary vegetable, and how do you like to cook it?



We know potatoes are good, and so are onions, corn, and tomatoes. But there are a billion other kinds of vegetables that aren't in every shopping cart. Share which ones you found out at some point are good enough to have at home! Mine's a three-way tie: Turnips and radishes, roasted. Both...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Protein suggestions



Hello everyone! I am struggling with protein. I usually have a protein shake with my coffee in the morning and I keep some protein bars on me for something throughout the day. What are you eating/drinking for protein. I’m not getting enough and would love some suggestions!

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Switching to weight training from weight loss



I am starting week 4 of a 6 day weekly routine with Sunday’s off. Push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs. I have been fairly lazy with nutrition up to this point, and I still have 35lbs+ to lose. I have been simply working from a calorie deficit with a lot of protein drinks and bars, filled in with...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Portion sizes and calorie dense foods



For the first 8 or 9 months on tirzepatide, I didn't track my calories, but as my weight loss slowed in the last four or five months, I've paid more attention to portion size and calorie restriction. Reflecting on those past few months, I think one of my biggest takeaways is that I used to eat...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Meal replacement shakes?



Has anyone tried meal replacement shakes while on a GLP1? I’ll be traveling internationally to places that don’t have a great food selection. Been thinking about taking a meal replacement shake to have with me. Any suggestions?

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Things you haven't eaten since starting on GLP-1....



I just found my selection of high grade pasta from Italy while looking for aluminium foil to keep my steaks warm. Then it came to me. I haven't had pasta with self made pesto since I started my journey on Tirz. What's would be your answer if I ask you?

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Anyone have some great recipes to share?



We all know that the biggest part of the battle is the healthy, clean eating. Even though appetite may be supressed and food noise is reduced, healthy eating is the foundation to making positive lifestyle changes. Wondering if anyone has any favourite healthy meals they want to share or any...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Your best nutrition tips & tricks



Since this forum is still empty, I'll do the honors and get it started. What is your best small tweaks/tips or tricks in order to improve your diet and nutrition? I have a few that i find very useful myself, but I do realize that they might not be for everyone. I'm just a firm believer in...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com




Fitness & Nutrition



Diet & Exercise discussion, tips, tricks, etc.

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com

Click to expand...
 
Calm Logic said:

Vegan, starch-based eating plans also work for NFL players.

I don't follow a vegan diet myself. My point is simply that the protein hype has gotten out of hand.

Fat is what the body stores, not protein:

Gemini said:


If you eat 300g of protein, and your body can only use 30g for muscle repair in a 4-hour window, the rest is stripped of its nitrogen (which stresses the kidneys) and converted into glucose or fat.

Click to expand...

Starches can support fullness too, and they carry fewer calories per volume; protein is not the only thing that helps with satiety. Beans deliver both advantages at once.
A healthy-looking vegan is something I have never come across — not even 1.
 
Beans are a great choice! 🙂 Even better with ground beef and beans together.

Up to this point (and I'm still quite new - Reta week 3 for me) I still haven't run into any food that "doesn't work". I eat a wide variety of everything, and so far nothing has triggered a problem.
 
Since GLP meds make digestion slower, it's best to work plenty of fiber and fermented items into what you eat. That means beans, every kind of vegetable, yogurt, kombucha, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, and/or psyllium husk fiber taken by the spoonful in drinks or soups.

If muscle matters to you, then protein is obviously required.

Beyond that, I don't think any particular diet is mandatory. To be honest, roughly 80% of my calories have come from assorted Campbell's soup and Huel packets, simply because cooking feels like too much effort, and nothing has gone wrong.
 
On the fiber front, I'm on board—aside from the nut-crusted toast my wife prepares for our breakfast. Into the protein powder shake we drink at lunch, we mix oat bran, plus a few other things she handles. Quick heads-up about tonight: I'm dividing a pork steak on the grill, and I've also chopped a sweet potato to turn into sweet potato fries in the air fryer. Our dinners rotate, and more often than not it's a protein of some kind. Beef/steak tends to show up only every other week. This thread might yield some useful ideas.
 
LabRatts said:

Calm Logic said:

Vegan, starch-based eating plans also work for NFL players.

I don't follow a vegan diet myself. My point is simply that the protein hype has gotten out of hand.

Fat is what the body stores, not protein:

Gemini said:


If you eat 300g of protein, and your body can only use 30g for muscle repair in a 4-hour window, the rest is stripped of its nitrogen (which stresses the kidneys) and converted into glucose or fat.

Click to expand...

Starches can support fullness too, and they carry fewer calories per volume; protein is not the only thing that helps with satiety. Beans deliver both advantages at once.
A healthy-looking vegan is something I have never come across — not even 1.
Regarding what you said: the vegan figure I admire most, John McDougall, MD, now deceased, appeared rather frail by his 70s — or at least next to William Seeds, MD, who is in his 60s and looks muscular.

As a cancer researcher, McDougall cautioned about dairy because of its potential to elevate IGF-1. Naturally, many people in this community are actually after more IGF-1, particularly during weight loss. Also, McDougall fit the academic mold and never really did any strength training.

Seeds endorses protein and resistance training (as just about everyone does these days), along with GH peptides (though not HGH). Still, what most Americans lack is resistance training, not protein.
 
My approach is mostly about choosing nutritious options. Since my calorie intake is low, variety matters to me so I can cover all the nutrients. I usually keep fat on the lower side because rich, greasy meals leave me feeling unwell—though yesterday's dinner was a cheesy pizza, so I suppose moderation applies. Rice has always been a favorite of mine, but lately my body seems to reject it, so I've cut back even though it's a mainstay for my family. Raw vegetables tend to sit poorly with me, so cooked ones are my preference. Creamy protein shakes aren't my thing, but I've found a beef-based protein that drinks like juice (ALT beef protein isolate); I aim for 1 daily, along with 3 small meals. I'm down more than 60lbs and now working out how to maintain.
 
gimmeshelter said:

I realize there are already plenty of posts about this..... Could we put together a mega thread listing foods that worked for you and foods that did not?

If this is redundant, delete it. The goal is to build a living, long-running thread for people new to Reta so they can figure out their nutrition starting on day #1.

Thank u !
A meal I keep coming back to, and it keeps me full, is 6-8 oz of lean chicken paired with 2 servings of Aldi Bbq Beans 🙂. It also gets the digestive system going. Hahaha.
 
Sure, my protein intake is on the higher side, but it keeps me feeling full. My daily eating plan breaks down as 200g protein, 40% carbs, with fats making up the remainder of my calories. I rely on a food tracking app to monitor my calorie intake each day.

Lately I've been gravitating toward foods that come from a single source. I skip the instant just-add-water options and the microwave full dinner packages. That means most of my grocery runs stick to the outer aisles of the store.

My wife calls it bachelor chow, and I eat a lot of it: 93/7 ground beef or turkey seasoned with spices, served over air fried sweet potato, topped with kimchi and a fried egg. I can change the seasoning depending on my mood, and it's fast to throw together or prep ahead for meals.

A large portion of what I eat now is raw vegetables. Baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, radishes, and celery paired with fat free ranch make an excellent side for my protein.

Quaker rice cakes have really grown on me. I used to compare them to packing peanuts, but these days the apple cinnamon ones feel like a dessert, and the white cheddar ones are a solid pre-gym snack.
 
Mc_ppka_tp said:

Sure, my protein intake is on the higher side, but it keeps me feeling full. My daily eating plan breaks down as 200g protein, 40% carbs, with fats making up the remainder of my calories. I rely on a food tracking app to monitor my calorie intake each day.

Lately I've been gravitating toward foods that come from a single source. I skip the instant just-add-water options and the microwave full dinner packages. That means most of my grocery runs stick to the outer aisles of the store.

My wife calls it bachelor chow, and I eat a lot of it: 93/7 ground beef or turkey seasoned with spices, served over air fried sweet potato, topped with kimchi and a fried egg. I can change the seasoning depending on my mood, and it's fast to throw together or prep ahead for meals.

A large portion of what I eat now is raw vegetables. Baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, radishes, and celery paired with fat free ranch make an excellent side for my protein.

Quaker rice cakes have really grown on me. I used to compare them to packing peanuts, but these days the apple cinnamon ones feel like a dessert, and the white cheddar ones are a solid pre-gym snack.
A small suggestion: add a bit of natural peanut butter onto apple cinnamon rice cakes and it gets better. You can push it even further by putting some 80%+ dark chocolate on top, making it the ultimate dessert.
 
My doctor pitched tirz to me with the idea that pizza stays on the menu, restaurants are still in play, and gym visits are optional. Yet similar to a lot of people in this community, my desire for pizza, chips, ice cream, and similar items has dropped off a lot, while my motivation to work out has gone up.

On the protein shake front, the vanilla version from Premiere Protein hits the spot for me—it reminds me of vanilla ice cream flavor. Normally vanilla protein shakes aren't my thing; I lean toward chocolate or coffee instead.

Whenever GI sides show up (at higher doses), toast with jam is what I reach for, along the lines of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).
 
Calm Logic said:

My doctor pitched tirz to me with the idea that pizza stays on the menu, restaurants are still in play, and gym visits are optional. Yet similar to a lot of people in this community, my desire for pizza, chips, ice cream, and similar items has dropped off a lot, while my motivation to work out has gone up.

On the protein shake front, the vanilla version from Premiere Protein hits the spot for me—it reminds me of vanilla ice cream flavor. Normally vanilla protein shakes aren't my thing; I lean toward chocolate or coffee instead.

Whenever GI sides show up (at higher doses), toast with jam is what I reach for, along the lines of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).
At the start, both my wife and I experienced a bit of heartburn on 2mg, and also with the first injection of 4mg when we were lying down at night. That cleared up for several weeks, but after the first shot of 6mg last Friday, I had a slight touch of it.
 
Back
Top