Making an Informed Decision

DragonOfTheSea

Explorer
Joined
Mar 3, 2026
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Suppose someone in your family—or another person you care about deeply—could, in your honest view, see major gains in both lifespan and wellbeing if they were open to trying GLP-1 drugs. What materials or facts would you leave for them, step by step, to test whether they might eventually accept the idea?

My wife's father carries roughly a couple hundred lbs of extra weight. Arthritis is worsening in his knees and ankles. Even just shifting his weight while seated leaves him short of breath, and the same is true when he walks the few steps he can manage before needing to stop and rest. For years he has tried to follow his wife's guidance on what to eat and how to eat it. He drinks almost nothing except Gatorade zero. Despite all this, his situation is not getting better. My wife and her relatives are increasingly worried he may not live much longer, and they are convinced that starting a GLP-1 would absolutely alter the course of his life.

My sense is that if he educates himself a little and gets some backing, he might be open to giving it a try.

Yesterday evening I raised the subject with him by talking about my own experience with GLP-1. I described how early this year I learned I had fatty liver disease, how the doctor told me I had to shed pounds, the difficulties I faced every day, and the extent to which the drug has improved my health markers, my weight, and how well I live. My aim was to let him see the upside without applying pressure, and to avoid the notion that the only reason to use it is appearance.

I realize that right now his position is [[Q1]] and [[Q2]]. I answered those arguments in a knowledgeable way, but then things moved beyond our control when other people came into the room and the discussion went elsewhere.

I would like to give him 1 or 2 resources, hoping to show him the many advantages and life changes these peptides could bring him—yet it feels as though we get only 1 chance before he closes the door and turns it down…

If you had just 1 chance, what resources would you send to someone you love?
 
I’d take the same route I used myself. Put the emphasis on how much better you’re doing, and as time passes he’ll start picking up on the shifts and what they mean for you. Since dropping weight, my mental health has gotten a lot better, and having my dad in my corner has genuinely mattered. Every week he comes by, every Friday he asks how many pounds I’ve shed, and these days he even walks alongside me. A few weeks in, curiosity got the better of him and he wanted to give Reta a shot too, so I handed him a vial plus some syringes, and he’s been very happy with the outcome. My mother in law has now signed on as well, and even their circle of friends are asking me to put in orders on their behalf. Once people witness actual results, trust in the choices behind them grows on its own.
 
Tirzepitide is something I intend to stay on for life. Explaining my weight loss to people means admitting how much came off. When someone tells me they won't touch the shot, my answer is that a weekly injection beats daily medication for blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar.

With a Glp-1 you're not on it forever — just for whatever remains of your life, and that arrives sooner without it.

Nobody tells me what to do, doctor included — I reached my own decision, and my health is better now than it has been in years. All I can do is serve as a positive example. Grey was no secret to me, yet my first tirzepitide orders came from a tele-health provider because that felt easier.
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

Suppose someone in your family—or another person you care about deeply—could, in your honest view, see major gains in both lifespan and wellbeing if they were open to trying GLP-1 drugs. What materials or facts would you leave for them, step by step, to test whether they might eventually accept the idea?

My wife's father carries roughly a couple hundred lbs of extra weight. Arthritis is worsening in his knees and ankles. Even just shifting his weight while seated leaves him short of breath, and the same is true when he walks the few steps he can manage before needing to stop and rest. For years he has tried to follow his wife's guidance on what to eat and how to eat it. He drinks almost nothing except Gatorade zero. Despite all this, his situation is not getting better. My wife and her relatives are increasingly worried he may not live much longer, and they are convinced that starting a GLP-1 would absolutely alter the course of his life.

My sense is that if he educates himself a little and gets some backing, he might be open to giving it a try.

Yesterday evening I raised the subject with him by talking about my own experience with GLP-1. I described how early this year I learned I had fatty liver disease, how the doctor told me I had to shed pounds, the difficulties I faced every day, and the extent to which the drug has improved my health markers, my weight, and how well I live. My aim was to let him see the upside without applying pressure, and to avoid the notion that the only reason to use it is appearance.

I realize that right now his position is [[Q1]] and [[Q2]]. I answered those arguments in a knowledgeable way, but then things moved beyond our control when other people came into the room and the discussion went elsewhere.

I would like to give him 1 or 2 resources, hoping to show him the many advantages and life changes these peptides could bring him—yet it feels as though we get only 1 chance before he closes the door and turns it down…

If you had just 1 chance, what resources would you send to someone you love?

I’d bring it up gently, no question. The way I see it, even if someone has to stay on it indefinitely, when you weigh dying younger against carrying around a lot of extra weight, the medication side clearly comes out ahead. Heart and brain advantages alone make this an easy call. And then there’s the everyday side — life gets so much better. More moments with the people he cares about, more things he can actually do that are off the table right now. It’s not even close. There’s zero argument against trying it.

I’d also walk him through what I’ve seen with different GLP-1s and steer him only toward the ones that tend to drop the most pounds. Sema, for example, probably won’t move the needle enough — he won’t reach his goal on it. Tirz would be where I’d start. Fewer side effects than reta, similar weight loss. I’d ramp him up to the max dose very gradually. Seeing results early keeps motivation high. If you begin tiny and park there, he may shrug and say he’s not dropping much so why bother. Someone carrying hundreds of pounds extra should shed 20+ lbs in the first month. That’s the number I’d aim for and tweak the dose to match. Early loss should be dramatic.

TLDR: mortality and quality of life both favor the medication over the risks. Be direct when you suggest it, begin with tirz and go up to max dose.

Good luck and wishing him a good life decision.
 
I've guided 3 close people through getting started on this path. A 4th went the official route, doing what I'd done at first, until I quit Wegovy during month 2 because it wasn't available while I was abroad.

Wegovy/Tirzepatide wasn't new to them—they understood what it was and how it worked—so all I did was lay out the other ways the product could be sourced.

My goal wasn't to convince them in one sitting. Over the course of a few weeks, I'd bring up the positives now and then, pass along studies, and also cover the negatives: Staph, endotoxins, wrong products, no product; plenty of candid back-and-forth. No pressure tactics—I just wanted them to reach an informed decision, weighing both the good and the bad.

Once they reached the conclusion, by themselves, that they were ready to proceed, I supplied what they needed, kept track of dosages, watched their weight loss, and offered dietary advice.
 
Absolutely a topic that needs care. What I've done is draw on my own journey and what it's looked like for me. I lay out real data, and on top of that I let my lipid panel speak for itself — it shows the improvement I've made. One small step at a time, all so someone can have a better life.
 
I appreciate everyone who took the time to share their thoughts—thank you.

With him, I’m deliberately pacing things. So far, I’ve built the conversation on what I’ve personally gone through and what I’ve picked up about peptides. I told him about the improvements in my bloodwork, mentioned small everyday wins—like being able to tie my shoes again with less joint inflammation—and how exercise has become easier. Those are the kinds of details I’m confident will land with him.

My plan is to keep these talks low-key and at that same level. That said, I’m hoping you can point me toward particular materials—ones that made you, or a relative or someone close to you, think “wow, that article or video was genuinely worth it.” Something that presents peptides in a favorable light, explains how they help the body in an educational way, but doesn’t come across as intense 😅. I’d like to have that kind of thing on hand to send him now and then, or maybe as a follow-up after we talk.
 
Honestly, I find it somewhat unfortunate that his Doctor hasn't already brought this up with him. With obesity that severe, plus the breathlessness and arthritis pain, the gain in his day-to-day life could exceed what any other medical treatment might achieve. I remember seeing something about GLPs costing $50 for seniors in the US, so expense wouldn't necessarily be an insurmountable barrier if that's what held his doctor back — though I haven't looked into the specifics of that program. If it does apply to him, encouraging him to speak with his doctor could be worth a shot. My sense is that many doctors simply don't consider GLPs for older patients.

Generally speaking, attempting to shift someone else's opinions or health habits is often a thankless endeavor. It may simply be beyond his worldview to accept injecting inexpensive Chinese weight loss drugs, however clearly you lay it out. Having his doctor endorse the idea — even if cost remains an issue — might go a long way toward persuading him it's sensible. Age doesn't typically make people more open-minded or adaptable to new concepts. Digging into why he views it negatively could be useful. Perhaps steer toward the quality-of-life upside: less arthritis discomfort, better mobility, and easier breathing.

The only person I ever got to start GLP's was my ex — obese, prediabetic, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so a strong candidate, mostly to keep the prediabetes from progressing to diabetes. But I had a hidden agenda: the actual goal was cutting down her drinking, since even with the kids grown up, it's harmful to them.
 
Your description matches what goes on with my own parents. A major factor behind my constant focus on my body and wellbeing is that I was raised by a mother who has been dieting for 30 years. My dad is nearing 60 and weighs 350, dealing with hypertension, prediabetes and agonizing knee issues. He gets roughly 4 hours of sleep each night since no position feels okay and his sleep apnea is severe. His dependence on Coca-Cola is so strong that it sparks arguments within the family.

My brothers and sisters and I carry a lot of worry for them. Watching people we cherish wreck their own lives this way is painful.

Ever since I learned about peptides, I keep imagining how much they could help their health and daily life. It would be a total transformation. Last week I showed my mom the peptide expert from the DOAC podcast. I keep searching for some way to spark their curiosity about peptides, but figuring out how to do that is really tough.

They believe they can simply transform on their own... but obesity is a food addiction. You cannot just quit whenever you decide to. Anyone battling obesity for 30-40 years needs support. And these tools exist now. I will never stop trying to persuade them.
 
My children sat me down and said they worried I might not have many years left. That was a wake-up call I felt deeply. Shortly after, my sister mentioned she was getting the injection through a telehealth service. Then, within a couple of days, I ran into a man who shared that he'd dropped 100# and offered to connect me "with Grey" at a much lower cost than telehealth. Those experiences together pushed me to do something that goes completely against my fear of unfamiliar medications.

Turbo-Farmer said:

Tirzepitide is something I intend to stay on for life. Explaining my weight loss to people means admitting how much came off. When someone tells me they won't touch the shot, my answer is that a weekly injection beats daily medication for blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar.

With a Glp-1 you're not on it forever — just for whatever remains of your life, and that arrives sooner without it.

Nobody tells me what to do, doctor included — I reached my own decision, and my health is better now than it has been in years. All I can do is serve as a positive example. Grey was no secret to me, yet my first tirzepitide orders came from a tele-health provider because that felt easier.
This is my new favorite 🔼
 
I've never pushed tirz on anyone, nor have I encouraged people to explore the grey rabbit hole.

What I HAVE done is cheer loudly for the outcomes of both, whether privately or openly. (That said, I HAVE dialed back the loud cheering since reaching the midpoint of normal weight — at some point you're slim enough that celebrating slimness comes off as tone deaf when you're living in the ninth fattest state in the US. These days, though, my body sort of does the "hooray" on my behalf.)

A surprising number of people in my real life — some friends, some merely acquaintances who grew tired of watching what was happening to me while nothing happened to them — have begun either the former or both, and they've said straight out, "Ok, I want in on this." I'm so damn happy for every one of them.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I've never pushed tirz on anyone, nor have I encouraged people to explore the grey rabbit hole.

What I HAVE done is cheer loudly for the outcomes of both, whether privately or openly. (That said, I HAVE dialed back the loud cheering since reaching the midpoint of normal weight — at some point you're slim enough that celebrating slimness comes off as tone deaf when you're living in the ninth fattest state in the US. These days, though, my body sort of does the "hooray" on my behalf.)

A surprising number of people in my real life — some friends, some merely acquaintances who grew tired of watching what was happening to me while nothing happened to them — have begun either the former or both, and they've said straight out, "Ok, I want in on this." I'm so damn happy for every one of them.
A good life pays for itself, and people around you notice. 👏
 
When it comes to glp medications, I’d keep that conversation separate from grey—which it sounds like you’ve already done. These medications can be prescribed by his primary physician or through telemedicine, and the latter tends to be affordable for most people. Hearing this kind of friendly advice from a physician might land better with him than coming from family.

I’d also put the emphasis on the health problems that stem from the obesity, and on the fact that all of you are concerned about him. You’ve already opened the door to glp medications; now I think it would be good to let him have the chance to walk through it. People sometimes need time to make it their own decision. Us humans are complex creatures, both physically and mentally and emotionally.
 
Grogu said:

When it comes to glp medications, I’d keep that conversation separate from grey—which it sounds like you’ve already done. These medications can be prescribed by his primary physician or through telemedicine, and the latter tends to be affordable for most people. Hearing this kind of friendly advice from a physician might land better with him than coming from family.

I’d also put the emphasis on the health problems that stem from the obesity, and on the fact that all of you are concerned about him. You’ve already opened the door to glp medications; now I think it would be good to let him have the chance to walk through it. People sometimes need time to make it their own decision. Us humans are complex creatures, both physically and mentally and emotionally.

I'm with you — given all those medical conditions, having their doctor point them in the right direction is likely the smarter route.

Other times the price of Glp1 is the hurdle, and there's still a shame attached to how much it costs.

In my case, my physician even suggested tele health tirzepitide to her other patients. The monjourno tirzepatide was available to me, but my copay came out to 3x what tele health would have charged. The one thing I wish is that I'd begun earlier.
 
Turbo-Farmer said:

Grogu said:

When it comes to glp medications, I’d keep that conversation separate from grey—which it sounds like you’ve already done. These medications can be prescribed by his primary physician or through telemedicine, and the latter tends to be affordable for most people. Hearing this kind of friendly advice from a physician might land better with him than coming from family.

I’d also put the emphasis on the health problems that stem from the obesity, and on the fact that all of you are concerned about him. You’ve already opened the door to glp medications; now I think it would be good to let him have the chance to walk through it. People sometimes need time to make it their own decision. Us humans are complex creatures, both physically and mentally and emotionally.

I'm with you — given all those medical conditions, having their doctor point them in the right direction is likely the smarter route.

Other times the price of Glp1 is the hurdle, and there's still a shame attached to how much it costs.

In my case, my physician even suggested tele health tirzepitide to her other patients. The monjourno tirzepatide was available to me, but my copay came out to 3x what tele health would have charged. The one thing I wish is that I'd begun earlier.

That's a solid observation regarding medical conditions, particularly for seniors. From what I understand, certain telehealth companies selling glp-1s will inquire about lab results and hand out an initial prescription for compounded glp-1s with no labs at all, then demand labs before refills—though that practice isn't very common. I'm not saying these medications ought to have "gatekeepers," but for older individuals, some kind of consultation would likely be wise.
 
Back
Top