Make Sure You Get Your Protein!

Rabbittaco said:

Blend 3 scoops of powder with frozen fruit and greek yogurt, then add water or milk to loosen the consistency — that comes to 100 grams in 1 smoothie.
I really should follow that advice, since reaching my daily protein target is something I struggle with constantly.
 
Bioexplorer said:

sheilarae74 said:

5byfive said:

Almost the same items I purchase, only mine are all labeled Members Mark.

Since I feel like provoking a reaction, here's a statement that will probably annoy a few folks. Costco? Can't stand it. Sam's is better, and that's just a fact. Sure, some will take that like I insulted their child, but too bad. With more stores, shopping is simpler and it's not as packed. You can use the app to check out, so no waiting in lines. At the exit, a scanner verifies your cart, meaning nobody has to look at your receipt. And for business members (a small extra fee), you get entry 1 hour early plus cash back on what you spend. The selection is basically identical, but the overall experience is far superior.

Why anyone stays so devoted to Costco baffles me. Same deal with Chic-Fil-A. Nothing special, yet their PR teams are world-class and have somehow sold everyone on a quality that isn't really there.

View attachment 10506
That's exactly how I am too. After pricing out my usual Sam's items against what Costco would charge, staying with Sam's was the clear choice. And their Vanilla protein shake is a favorite of mine. I also pick up my syringes there for $9 a box.
Huh??? Over at my Sam's they're $12. Even so, 100 EasyTouch for that amount isn't terrible. That also tells me I need to pick up another carton.

On the warehouse side: when it comes to Rotisserie Chicken, Sam's Club wins over Costco without question, and Scan and Go is a big plus. Honestly, at my Costco the checkout queue often stretches beyond the food court.
At my Sam's, I'm not sure the ones they carry are still Easy Touch. The bags that come individually say Members Mark, and there's no brand name on the syringe barrel. Compared with the Walgreens brand I already have, they seem the same to me. Could that be the reason they ran me just $9?
 
Depending on whether you go with the caramel or vanilla, and whether it's the sugar-free kind, you're looking at roughly 180 to 300 calories. It packs 34g of protein.

Take 6oz of 2% milk (skim works just as well) and 6oz of cold brew. Pull a couple of ounces out of that 6oz and whip it into cold foam, adding some vanilla syrup before you foam it up. Then toss in a scoop of whey (15g protein) and a scoop of collagen (9g of incomplete protein, though you can tally it alongside the milk and whey). The result: total deliciousness.

Give the Starbucks version a shot first — “iced protein caramel latte with salted protein caramel cold foam” — then whip up your own so you know exactly what's going in it. Bonus: I can put away 2 or 3 of these daily since each one only uses 6oz of cold brew. Drinking 9 espressos would be way too much. Once you all give it a try and get transported, I'll happily take all the praise.
 
Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
At Costco right now, the PROfeel protein pudding is something you shouldn't overlook! Just 130 calories gets you 17g of protein. For a satisfying way to begin the date, I typically have 2 of them.
 
aepower2016 said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
At Costco right now, the PROfeel protein pudding is something you shouldn't overlook! Just 130 calories gets you 17g of protein. For a satisfying way to begin the date, I typically have 2 of them.
I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I'm at Costco
 
5byfive said:

Almost the same items I purchase, only mine are all labeled Members Mark.

Since I feel like provoking a reaction, here's a statement that will probably annoy a few folks. Costco? Can't stand it. Sam's is better, and that's just a fact. Sure, some will take that like I insulted their child, but too bad. With more stores, shopping is simpler and it's not as packed. You can use the app to check out, so no waiting in lines. At the exit, a scanner verifies your cart, meaning nobody has to look at your receipt. And for business members (a small extra fee), you get entry 1 hour early plus cash back on what you spend. The selection is basically identical, but the overall experience is far superior.

Why anyone stays so devoted to Costco baffles me. Same deal with Chic-Fil-A. Nothing special, yet their PR teams are world-class and have somehow sold everyone on a quality that isn't really there.

View attachment 10506
No membership clubs for us. About 20 years back, work gave us access to a Sam's, and we went overboard on purchases. The large pork loins were a hit, though. Once home, we'd divide them into 3 or 4 pieces.

Skidude said:

chmuse said:

Skidude said:

chmuse said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
Fiber. Come at me.
both..

Quinoa is a nutritious seed that delivers plenty of protein, fiber, and key minerals. A single cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories, 8 grams of protein, 39 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of dietary fiber
Beans have become pretty much my whole diet at this point 😩

Pizza beans served over garlic bread are amazing
I'm a fan of these since they come in a can yet taste properly seasoned already.

View attachment 10507
Butter beans? Absolutely love them, and I've tried that brand—delicious. They pair well with smoked ribs from the pellet grill. My wife combines around 4 types of beans in a large cast pot, adds seasoning, and I smoke them alongside ribs on the pellet grill. Now I'm craving food.
 
5byfive said:

Almost the same items I purchase, only mine are all labeled Members Mark.

Since I feel like provoking a reaction, here's a statement that will probably annoy a few folks. Costco? Can't stand it. Sam's is better, and that's just a fact. Sure, some will take that like I insulted their child, but too bad. With more stores, shopping is simpler and it's not as packed. You can use the app to check out, so no waiting in lines. At the exit, a scanner verifies your cart, meaning nobody has to look at your receipt. And for business members (a small extra fee), you get entry 1 hour early plus cash back on what you spend. The selection is basically identical, but the overall experience is far superior.

Why anyone stays so devoted to Costco baffles me. Same deal with Chic-Fil-A. Nothing special, yet their PR teams are world-class and have somehow sold everyone on a quality that isn't really there.

View attachment 10506
Totally with you!! Plus, the app lets you pay with your personal credit card. Nobody ever inspects my card on the way in, and it's pretty uncommon for anyone to need to scan a few things before leaving. Everything goes way more smoothly.
 
Skidude said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
The coconut Greek yogurt from Chobani is a favorite of mine!
I made the switch to the store-brand version of Greek Yogurt. For every 32oz of Greek Yogurt, I save roughly $2, and across a month that adds up to around $30 saved (I'm in NY). If the store brand isn't available, Chobani is what I reach for. Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt doesn't do it for me.

The common saying is that getting shredded comes down to 75% - 80% diet. I'm on board with that. Greek Yogurt shows up for me every single day. It serves as my dessert when a sweet craving hits, my breakfast, my snack ... here's the monthly rundown of what I consume.

How I do Greek Yogurt each month:

  1. Non Fat Greek Yogurt (16x, 32oz, per month)
  2. Frozen Raspberries. A whole lot of frozen raspberries (25x, 16oz bags a month)
  3. Heritage Flakes (roughly 12 boxes, each month)
  4. Equal (feel free to judge me lol)
Heritage flakes also deliver 5g of protein and 7g of fiber. From raspberries you get somewhere between 6g and 9g of fiber. They are God's gift to all of us. Within a 12oz bag there's 22g-27g of fiber, roughly 18g of sugar, and 180 calories. For an entire 12oz bag.

Roughly twice a week I work my way through a full 32oz Greek Yogurt, a whole bag of frozen raspberries, and around 4 servings of Heritage Flakes. That becomes my food for the day (plus some baked Cheetos from Trader Joe's).

ROI (about):

Calories~1,140Protein~115 gFiber~43 g

In my view, fiber is the nutrient people overlook most, even more than protein. You can't stack fiber the way people stack protein; you can't market fiber the way protein gets marketed. Protein still matters, you just need a solid amount. Getting 30g - 40g of fiber per day matters more, imo. Fiber is tied to longer lifespans, too. Most slept on nutrient, I tell ya.
 
JonSpartan said:

Skidude said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
The coconut Greek yogurt from Chobani is a favorite of mine!
I made the switch to the store-brand version of Greek Yogurt. For every 32oz of Greek Yogurt, I save roughly $2, and across a month that adds up to around $30 saved (I'm in NY). If the store brand isn't available, Chobani is what I reach for. Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt doesn't do it for me.

The common saying is that getting shredded comes down to 75% - 80% diet. I'm on board with that. Greek Yogurt shows up for me every single day. It serves as my dessert when a sweet craving hits, my breakfast, my snack ... here's the monthly rundown of what I consume.

How I do Greek Yogurt each month:

  1. Non Fat Greek Yogurt (16x, 32oz, per month)
  2. Frozen Raspberries. A whole lot of frozen raspberries (25x, 16oz bags a month)
  3. Heritage Flakes (roughly 12 boxes, each month)
  4. Equal (feel free to judge me lol)
Heritage flakes also deliver 5g of protein and 7g of fiber. From raspberries you get somewhere between 6g and 9g of fiber. They are God's gift to all of us. Within a 12oz bag there's 22g-27g of fiber, roughly 18g of sugar, and 180 calories. For an entire 12oz bag.

Roughly twice a week I work my way through a full 32oz Greek Yogurt, a whole bag of frozen raspberries, and around 4 servings of Heritage Flakes. That becomes my food for the day (plus some baked Cheetos from Trader Joe's).

ROI (about):

Calories~1,140Protein~115 gFiber~43 g

In my view, fiber is the nutrient people overlook most, even more than protein. You can't stack fiber the way people stack protein; you can't market fiber the way protein gets marketed. Protein still matters, you just need a solid amount. Getting 30g - 40g of fiber per day matters more, imo. Fiber is tied to longer lifespans, too. Most slept on nutrient, I tell ya.

That mixture you made looks really good!
 
Plain low-fat Greek yogurt — throw in a scoop of whatever protein powder you like

150g egg whites, cooked — plus 100 g of 94/6 lean beef. Absolutely delicious
 
chmuse said:

Skidude said:

chmuse said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
Fiber. Come at me.
both..

Quinoa is a nutritious seed that delivers plenty of protein, fiber, and key minerals. A single cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories, 8 grams of protein, 39 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of dietary fiber
Beans have become pretty much my whole diet at this point 😩

Pizza beans served over garlic bread are amazing
Beans are absolutely my thing — you're hitting exactly what I enjoy. Beans on toast gets me every time, though while I was travelling I came across a dish called lobio, and it's the richest bean stew I've ever had. If you're looking for new bean ideas, it's well worth a try.
 
gimmeshelter said:

Plain low-fat Greek yogurt — throw in a scoop of whatever protein powder you like

150g egg whites, cooked — plus 100 g of 94/6 lean beef. Absolutely delicious
Any recommendations for protein powder that works well mixed into yogurt? Everything I've tried so far turns into a thick, paste-like texture. Casein, concentrate, isolate — none of them seem to make a difference, and casein is clearly the worst offender.

Separately, I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought this up yet (or maybe I just didn't see it), but low-fat cottage cheese deserves a mention as a really flexible choice — you can take it in a savory direction or a sweet one. Another thing I like about it is that it digests more slowly, since casein is its main protein.
 
Around where I live, Costco is the only choice. When you stack it up against Safeway, IGA, or Fred Meyer, it comes out on top. I just wish there were other choices available.
 
Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
They've got new 2 pound bags of chipotle char grilled chicken and you're sleeping on them. Total cheat code
 
Builderman said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
They've got new 2 pound bags of chipotle char grilled chicken and you're sleeping on them. Total cheat code
I still havent given that a try, but I will at some point. My go-to proteins get swapped around, and for the upcoming 2 weeks ground turkey is what I had lined up. This is the rotation I normally stick to:

Ground turkey

Lean ground beef plus a couple of lean steak cuts

Tuna

A combination of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breast

Maybe ill pick up the chipotle on my next chicken run lol.
 
miameow said:

chmuse said:

Skidude said:

chmuse said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
Fiber. Come at me.
both..

Quinoa is a nutritious seed that delivers plenty of protein, fiber, and key minerals. A single cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories, 8 grams of protein, 39 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of dietary fiber
Beans have become pretty much my whole diet at this point 😩

Pizza beans served over garlic bread are amazing
Beans are absolutely my thing — you're hitting exactly what I enjoy. Beans on toast gets me every time, though while I was travelling I came across a dish called lobio, and it's the richest bean stew I've ever had. If you're looking for new bean ideas, it's well worth a try.
I follow a strict high fiber diet, and honestly I'm doing terribly with it. 😭 How can I manage both high fiber and high protein at the same time? And still work around my allergies?
 
miameow said:

gimmeshelter said:

Plain low-fat Greek yogurt — throw in a scoop of whatever protein powder you like

150g egg whites, cooked — plus 100 g of 94/6 lean beef. Absolutely delicious
Any recommendations for protein powder that works well mixed into yogurt? Everything I've tried so far turns into a thick, paste-like texture. Casein, concentrate, isolate — none of them seem to make a difference, and casein is clearly the worst offender.

Separately, I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought this up yet (or maybe I just didn't see it), but low-fat cottage cheese deserves a mention as a really flexible choice — you can take it in a savory direction or a sweet one. Another thing I like about it is that it digests more slowly, since casein is its main protein.
A hand blender can go straight into the container, blending it until smooth, after which it works as a savory yogurt or an Alfredo sauce..... Should ranch dressing be something you enjoy, that slight sour note pairs with it nicely.
 
miameow said:

gimmeshelter said:

Plain low-fat Greek yogurt — throw in a scoop of whatever protein powder you like

150g egg whites, cooked — plus 100 g of 94/6 lean beef. Absolutely delicious
Any recommendations for protein powder that works well mixed into yogurt? Everything I've tried so far turns into a thick, paste-like texture. Casein, concentrate, isolate — none of them seem to make a difference, and casein is clearly the worst offender.

Separately, I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought this up yet (or maybe I just didn't see it), but low-fat cottage cheese deserves a mention as a really flexible choice — you can take it in a savory direction or a sweet one. Another thing I like about it is that it digests more slowly, since casein is its main protein.
Not long ago, a person put me on to mixing cottage cheese into scrambled eggs prior to cooking. Total game changer—the eggs end up tasting amazing. Delicious
 
chmuse said:

miameow said:

chmuse said:

Skidude said:

chmuse said:

Mochizuki0124 said:

A 2-week supply of protein! Keep in mind, reaching your protein target is impossible if you don't purchase enough protein!
Fiber. Come at me.
both..

Quinoa is a nutritious seed that delivers plenty of protein, fiber, and key minerals. A single cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories, 8 grams of protein, 39 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of dietary fiber
Beans have become pretty much my whole diet at this point 😩

Pizza beans served over garlic bread are amazing
Beans are absolutely my thing — you're hitting exactly what I enjoy. Beans on toast gets me every time, though while I was travelling I came across a dish called lobio, and it's the richest bean stew I've ever had. If you're looking for new bean ideas, it's well worth a try.
I follow a strict high fiber diet, and honestly I'm doing terribly with it. 😭 How can I manage both high fiber and high protein at the same time? And still work around my allergies?
I simply rely on psyllium husk every day as a shortcut, which means I stress less about meeting my fiber targets just from eating food.
 
Back
Top