Looking for first-hand accounts of sleep apnea from people who live with it (or did)

littlerestraint

Explorer
Joined
Jul 30, 2026
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Location
Derby, UK
Hey all,

I'm fairly sure sleep apnea is something I have, and my doctor is sending me to the 'sleep clinic', which (from what I gather) will run a 'sleep study' (I'm in the UK, so this is through the NHS).

To start with, what does a sleep study actually involve? Are you hooked up to sensors of some kind?

Next, I'm assuming they'll give me a CPAP(?) machine and I'll have to sleep wearing a mask (I'm not sure how well I'll handle that, so I'd love to hear from people who've used one). Does it start helping right away, or does it take time to notice a difference? I really don't know what to expect.

My sleep has been poor for ages, and at the beginning I had the awful experience of waking up feeling like I was choking and couldn't breathe. That happened several times, so I adapted by sleeping on my front, which put a stop to those terrible episodes but clearly didn't solve the root problem, as shown by any [insert brand] smart watch or health band I've worn (right now a Garmin Cirqa). My sleep score sits permanently at 30-35 and my 'body battery' is always flat lined.

I'd also like to hear what changed for people once they began treating it. I'm so accustomed to bad sleep that it's the only way I can remember functioning, and I'm fine in the morning, i.e. I keep a job and everything else, but I can't help wondering....... If/when I get some quality sleep, is it a night & day difference in how you feel, or am I just getting my hopes up? 😆

Thanks, I know there's various info online, but I value proper experiences from 'normal' people, not AI or shitty paid articles etc.

P.S. I'm a fatty trying to lose weight, so I'm hoping it subsides if/when I [hopefully] drop some more weight!

Cheers all
 
In the NHS, the usual approach is a sleep study spanning a few nights, done with an SPO2 finger meter that tracks your oxygen saturation. A reading that falls under 90% means you have sleep apnea. Should they confirm the condition, they'll send you home with an APAP for 1 week so they can work out the pressure you require, and after that you'll finally receive a CPAP set to your therapy settings.

Getting used to sleeping with the machine is hard for many people, and it can take months before it feels normal. This is a therapy plenty of people genuinely struggle with, and dialing it in often means trying out different masks and settings over the course of many months. Once everything is set correctly, you should be able to sleep normally again.

Whether it disappears along with the weight loss isn't guaranteed either way. Extra weight frequently worsens it, but how much of it is tied to weight depends on the way the airway is being blocked.
 
BrightCandle said:

In the NHS, the usual approach is a sleep study spanning a few nights, done with an SPO2 finger meter that tracks your oxygen saturation. A reading that falls under 90% means you have sleep apnea. Should they confirm the condition, they'll send you home with an APAP for 1 week so they can work out the pressure you require, and after that you'll finally receive a CPAP set to your therapy settings.

Getting used to sleeping with the machine is hard for many people, and it can take months before it feels normal. This is a therapy plenty of people genuinely struggle with, and dialing it in often means trying out different masks and settings over the course of many months. Once everything is set correctly, you should be able to sleep normally again.

Whether it disappears along with the weight loss isn't guaranteed either way. Extra weight frequently worsens it, but how much of it is tied to weight depends on the way the airway is being blocked.
Appreciate it, mate. According to my Garmin app, my pulse ox averages 90%, though it dips down to 80% at times — I'm not sure how reliable that reading actually is, though.
 
I went through a sleep study where I live (States), and the device I used was the WatchPatONE....

You sleep in your own bed, switch the device on, and drift off.. once you're awake you switch it off and that's the whole thing...

Opinions differ, some ENT's are fans of the WatchPat while others are not.. That said, since you're in the UK and have the handsome Vik Veer in your corner, I'd say the NHS has you in better hands?

YouTube will be a big help too, I'd simply search sleep study and look at whatever videos come up.. Vik Veer has a ton of them.. same with Jason (LankyLefty27) and Uncle Nico (CPAP Reviews)..

Good Luck! (I've included a picture of WatchPate ONE)
 
littlerestraint said:

Hey all,

I'm fairly sure sleep apnea is something I have, and my doctor is sending me to the 'sleep clinic', which (from what I gather) will run a 'sleep study' (I'm in the UK, so this is through the NHS).

To start with, what does a sleep study actually involve? Are you hooked up to sensors of some kind?

Next, I'm assuming they'll give me a CPAP(?) machine and I'll have to sleep wearing a mask (I'm not sure how well I'll handle that, so I'd love to hear from people who've used one). Does it start helping right away, or does it take time to notice a difference? I really don't know what to expect.

My sleep has been poor for ages, and at the beginning I had the awful experience of waking up feeling like I was choking and couldn't breathe. That happened several times, so I adapted by sleeping on my front, which put a stop to those terrible episodes but clearly didn't solve the root problem, as shown by any [insert brand] smart watch or health band I've worn (right now a Garmin Cirqa). My sleep score sits permanently at 30-35 and my 'body battery' is always flat lined.

I'd also like to hear what changed for people once they began treating it. I'm so accustomed to bad sleep that it's the only way I can remember functioning, and I'm fine in the morning, i.e. I keep a job and everything else, but I can't help wondering....... If/when I get some quality sleep, is it a night & day difference in how you feel, or am I just getting my hopes up? 😆

Thanks, I know there's various info online, but I value proper experiences from 'normal' people, not AI or shitty paid articles etc.

P.S. I'm a fatty trying to lose weight, so I'm hoping it subsides if/when I [hopefully] drop some more weight!

Cheers all

So, funny thing — I got an Oura ring and basically it told me: "Dude, your sleep is pretty rough.. maybe get that checked out with a CDL and everything..." (not the exact words it used.. )

Fast forward 6 years: I've done whatever I can with my sleep hygiene, gotten it as locked in as possible, and I've also been through 2 surgeries.

Fixing OSA tends to happen in stages..

Surgery number one was a Turbinate Reduction, Balloon Sinustplasty and nasal swell body reduction.. the difference it made was huge.. though it was really just "Part 1" of sorting my sleep out.. these days I can breathe through my nose on both sides, and a lot of the "phantom pain" I used to get in my teeth is gone (likely down to the smaller sinuses/inflammation in there).

Surgery number two was Septoplasty with a Nasal Valve repair. That one counted as "Part 2" of fixing my sleep.. now I don't need breath rights AT ALL anymore.. and my nose feels SUPER open.. almost like TOO MUCH air.. but honestly this surgery was WAY worse to recover from than the first...

So at this point, I went back and my ENT floated a third surgery to take out some of the soft skin and part of the Uvula.. I told him I'd rather hold off on that one until the first of the year..

Yeah, it's a step-by-step process.. and dropping weight helps too.. though I sometimes wonder whether the weight loss actually complicated things for me (loose skin, in the throat). YMMV..

I own 2 CPAPS and they do stop all snoring... but I still haven't gone "head first" into sleeping with them Overnight... I wear them all day at the computer or even while winding down after work.. it's like a light switch and turns on Parasympathetic tone.. I believe the term is "Exposure Therapy"

Biggest piece of advice I can give with the machine is yes it takes a bit to adapt (Lungs need to get use to the machine and breathing against it) and find the RIGHT mask you like.. I think everybody I know who has a CPAP has a Box of Masks with "Failed attempts" to find the right mask.

Man, sorry this is a long reply but hope it helps you!!
 
endlrls said:

I went through a sleep study where I live (States), and the device I used was the WatchPatONE....

You sleep in your own bed, switch the device on, and drift off.. once you're awake you switch it off and that's the whole thing...

Opinions differ, some ENT's are fans of the WatchPat while others are not.. That said, since you're in the UK and have the handsome Vik Veer in your corner, I'd say the NHS has you in better hands?

YouTube will be a big help too, I'd simply search sleep study and look at whatever videos come up.. Vik Veer has a ton of them.. same with Jason (LankyLefty27) and Uncle Nico (CPAP Reviews)..

Good Luck! (I've included a picture of WatchPate ONE)
Appreciate it, dude. Vik Veer was a new name to me, but I came across his site a moment ago and it seems to be packed with useful material, so I'll give it a read. Thanks a lot 🙂
 
littlerestraint said:

Appreciate it, dude. Vik Veer was a new name to me, but I came across his site a moment ago and it seems to be packed with useful material, so I'll give it a read. Thanks a lot 🙂
No problem at all, man! Happy to help! When it comes to sleep-related matters, he's the GOAT! I went ahead and bought his "Side Sleeping Pro" and had it shipped over to the states, and I absolutely LOVE IT.. (Just don't bring up the Tariffs... 😅😅🤕🤕)
 
endlrls said:

So, funny thing — I got an Oura ring and basically it told me: "Dude, your sleep is pretty rough.. maybe get that checked out with a CDL and everything..." (not the exact words it used.. )

Fast forward 6 years: I've done whatever I can with my sleep hygiene, gotten it as locked in as possible, and I've also been through 2 surgeries.

Fixing OSA tends to happen in stages..

Surgery number one was a Turbinate Reduction, Balloon Sinustplasty and nasal swell body reduction.. the difference it made was huge.. though it was really just "Part 1" of sorting my sleep out.. these days I can breathe through my nose on both sides, and a lot of the "phantom pain" I used to get in my teeth is gone (likely down to the smaller sinuses/inflammation in there).

Surgery number two was Septoplasty with a Nasal Valve repair. That one counted as "Part 2" of fixing my sleep.. now I don't need breath rights AT ALL anymore.. and my nose feels SUPER open.. almost like TOO MUCH air.. but honestly this surgery was WAY worse to recover from than the first...

So at this point, I went back and my ENT floated a third surgery to take out some of the soft skin and part of the Uvula.. I told him I'd rather hold off on that one until the first of the year..

Yeah, it's a step-by-step process.. and dropping weight helps too.. though I sometimes wonder whether the weight loss actually complicated things for me (loose skin, in the throat). YMMV..

I own 2 CPAPS and they do stop all snoring... but I still haven't gone "head first" into sleeping with them Overnight... I wear them all day at the computer or even while winding down after work.. it's like a light switch and turns on Parasympathetic tone.. I believe the term is "Exposure Therapy"

Biggest piece of advice I can give with the machine is yes it takes a bit to adapt (Lungs need to get use to the machine and breathing against it) and find the RIGHT mask you like.. I think everybody I know who has a CPAP has a Box of Masks with "Failed attempts" to find the right mask.

Man, sorry this is a long reply but hope it helps you!!
Wow, that's seriously committed of you! Thanks a lot, man — it genuinely helps to hear how you see all of this.

So I'm guessing your sleep is great these days? Do you wake up feeling fantastic, or is it more like just 'OK' at this point?
 
littlerestraint said:

Wow, that's seriously committed of you! Thanks a lot, man — it genuinely helps to hear how you see all of this.

So I'm guessing your sleep is great these days? Do you wake up feeling fantastic, or is it more like just 'OK' at this point?
Compared to 6 years 2 years back, my sleep has definitely improved.... that said, I'm constantly checking my Oura ring to see how much time I spend "awake" and how that lines up with the night.

What I actually have is UARS, which counts as a sleep disorder, though it isn't the same thing as OSA...

With UARS it feels like you're breathing through a straw, and you never lose 02 or quit breathing, but your brain keeps thinking "got to wake him up and keep the air way firm", so what you get are Respiratory Disturbances rather than the usual Apnea-Hypopnea Index.

My sleep is MUCH better than it used to be.. but I honestly believe the moment I finally say "okay, tonight I wear the mask to bed!.." is when my "restfulness index" will finally come down. In the meantime, I wear the mask/CPAP whenever I can at home and at my computer, and when I eventually crash out I've got my Side Sleeping pro, Mouth Tape and my ear plugs and Poof I'm out..!

I picked up the Evora full mask and I LOVE it.. it also fixes the "Chin Drop" issue I had with the nasal masks I was only using before.. AND wearing it makes me feel like Samus Aran (Metroid)!

Good luck w/ the Vik Veer videos! He really is great and has done ALOT for the sleep community!

43279636f8569e22436b4084ff33b0d17e63204987d1489494a34745aaaed0f8.gif
 
endlrls said:

Compared to 6 years 2 years back, my sleep has definitely improved.... that said, I'm constantly checking my Oura ring to see how much time I spend "awake" and how that lines up with the night.

What I actually have is UARS, which counts as a sleep disorder, though it isn't the same thing as OSA...

With UARS it feels like you're breathing through a straw, and you never lose 02 or quit breathing, but your brain keeps thinking "got to wake him up and keep the air way firm", so what you get are Respiratory Disturbances rather than the usual Apnea-Hypopnea Index.

My sleep is MUCH better than it used to be.. but I honestly believe the moment I finally say "okay, tonight I wear the mask to bed!.." is when my "restfulness index" will finally come down. In the meantime, I wear the mask/CPAP whenever I can at home and at my computer, and when I eventually crash out I've got my Side Sleeping pro, Mouth Tape and my ear plugs and Poof I'm out..!

I picked up the Evora full mask and I LOVE it.. it also fixes the "Chin Drop" issue I had with the nasal masks I was only using before.. AND wearing it makes me feel like Samus Aran (Metroid)!

Good luck w/ the Vik Veer videos! He really is great and has done ALOT for the sleep community!

43279636f8569e22436b4084ff33b0d17e63204987d1489494a34745aaaed0f8.gif
Seriously, thank you, man! Right now I'm working my way through a bunch of his articles 🙂

I appreciate you spending the time to lay out your [pretty mad] situation, and it's good to hear you're OK!!
 
My husband's sleep apnea was diagnosed through a sleep study he completed at home. As far as I can recall, there weren't any problems with it.

When it comes to adjusting to the CPAP, a hose lift is something I'd suggest. That way the hose isn't resting on your pillow, so rolling over doesn't turn into a whole ordeal. They come in a few different styles. Here's one
 
About 10-15 years back, I had a home sleep study done and got a Sleep Apnea diagnosis. At that point I was around 220 lbs/100 kg, which was very overweight. As other people have said, I cycled through quite a few masks until I landed on a nose pillow that suited me. Getting used to the mask and the steady air pressure takes roughly a week or so. Whenever my nose was congested, using the mask simply wasn't possible for me. What I did find was that my sleep improved dramatically, and I'd wake up feeling far more refreshed than I had before.

After that, I dropped around 50 lbs/22 kg, and a few years back I went for a second sleep study. The weight loss basically wiped out my sleep apnea. I haven't used the machine for 2 years now and my sleep is better than it has ever been. I realize that isn't a fix for everybody, but in my case it did the job. Best of luck with this journey.
 
I went through a sleep study done at home. A little box arrived with sensors on it, and I wore the setup for a few nights — it wasn't much of a nuisance. Whenever something comes loose, the device alerts you, and any time you get up for the bathroom, to walk the dog, or for anything else, you note down when it happened.

According to the doc, a CPAP wasn't necessary for me and I ought to lose weight instead. At my following checkup, I was told I should have a CPAP, but also that I should keep working on the weight loss to see whether it helps. Since I can't stand anything against my face, I'm focusing on shedding the weight.

I brought up tirzepatide, given that the FDA approved it for sleep apnea, and I'm not severe enough to qualify even though a CPAP was recommended for me. What's wild is that under insurance I do qualify for the sleep apnea implant. So a 20k operation can be covered, but not a glp...
 
Sleep apnea gave me some genuinely miserable problems. I'd wake up with a hoarse voice and a sore throat. My wife spent the whole night shoving me to try to get the snoring to stop, and neither of us got any rest. According to my dentist, she ran a sleep clinic, and she said my mouth told her I needed her help. Back in the 90s, when I was a kid, I had braces, and back then they'd pull several teeth to "make room". The result was a narrower pallet, which left your tongue with less space. A cpap was never something I was going to wear, but she brought up an oral appliance (mouth guard) with me.

After doing the sleep study, I got fitted for the oral appliance, and it resolved 50 or 60% of my issues. Then she launched a new service, NightLase, which uses a laser to shrink the tissue in your throat rather than surgery. On my next 2 visits I balked at it, but she talked me into it. I'm glad she did. My snoring is gone. My breathing is better. No more dry mouth and sore throat. No morning headache or anxiety. My blood pressure went down, and this was before losing any weight.




Maybe check her website out and see if anyone in your area offers the same services. Both of theses options greatly improved my life and my wife.
 
AllCourtTENNIS said:

My husband's sleep apnea was diagnosed through a sleep study he completed at home. As far as I can recall, there weren't any problems with it.

When it comes to adjusting to the CPAP, a hose lift is something I'd suggest. That way the hose isn't resting on your pillow, so rolling over doesn't turn into a whole ordeal. They come in a few different styles. Here's one
Appreciate it, if I do end up needing a machine then I reckon that's a must-have for me!!

texas_hawg said:

About 10-15 years back, I had a home sleep study done and got a Sleep Apnea diagnosis. At that point I was around 220 lbs/100 kg, which was very overweight. As other people have said, I cycled through quite a few masks until I landed on a nose pillow that suited me. Getting used to the mask and the steady air pressure takes roughly a week or so. Whenever my nose was congested, using the mask simply wasn't possible for me. What I did find was that my sleep improved dramatically, and I'd wake up feeling far more refreshed than I had before.

After that, I dropped around 50 lbs/22 kg, and a few years back I went for a second sleep study. The weight loss basically wiped out my sleep apnea. I haven't used the machine for 2 years now and my sleep is better than it has ever been. I realize that isn't a fix for everybody, but in my case it did the job. Best of luck with this journey.
Yep, I'm carrying a fair bit of weight, roughly 275lb in your money. That's impressive weight loss, nice work!

Hoping dropping some weight does the trick for me too, fingers crossed!

Thanks a lot 🙂

7.62fmj said:

I went through a sleep study done at home. A little box arrived with sensors on it, and I wore the setup for a few nights — it wasn't much of a nuisance. Whenever something comes loose, the device alerts you, and any time you get up for the bathroom, to walk the dog, or for anything else, you note down when it happened.

According to the doc, a CPAP wasn't necessary for me and I ought to lose weight instead. At my following checkup, I was told I should have a CPAP, but also that I should keep working on the weight loss to see whether it helps. Since I can't stand anything against my face, I'm focusing on shedding the weight.

I brought up tirzepatide, given that the FDA approved it for sleep apnea, and I'm not severe enough to qualify even though a CPAP was recommended for me. What's wild is that under insurance I do qualify for the sleep apnea implant. So a 20k operation can be covered, but not a glp...
It's odd, over here in the UK the rules for getting Mounjaro through the NHS are quite ridiculous. Something like needing 5 out of the 6 serious conditions on their list. Basically you have to be nearly dead haha. Which is why I went down the peptides route etc!
 
limy845T4RD said:

Sleep apnea gave me some genuinely miserable problems. I'd wake up with a hoarse voice and a sore throat. My wife spent the whole night shoving me to try to get the snoring to stop, and neither of us got any rest. According to my dentist, she ran a sleep clinic, and she said my mouth told her I needed her help. Back in the 90s, when I was a kid, I had braces, and back then they'd pull several teeth to "make room". The result was a narrower pallet, which left your tongue with less space. A cpap was never something I was going to wear, but she brought up an oral appliance (mouth guard) with me.

After doing the sleep study, I got fitted for the oral appliance, and it resolved 50 or 60% of my issues. Then she launched a new service, NightLase, which uses a laser to shrink the tissue in your throat rather than surgery. On my next 2 visits I balked at it, but she talked me into it. I'm glad she did. My snoring is gone. My breathing is better. No more dry mouth and sore throat. No morning headache or anxiety. My blood pressure went down, and this was before losing any weight.




Maybe check her website out and see if anyone in your area offers the same services. Both of theses options greatly improved my life and my wife.
I've noticed a few folks mention the mouth guard option, though I'm not sure I could handle it myself — still, like you said, it's likely preferable to a machine!

Appreciate the information, I'll be sure to check that out!
 
In my case, dropping a significant amount of weight and eliminating carbs entirely made a huge difference. I'm doing far, far better now.
 
Slaine said:

In my case, dropping a significant amount of weight and eliminating carbs entirely made a huge difference. I'm doing far, far better now.
I'm hoping this will do the trick for me too, though the Reta hasn't been shifting much. Not sure whether that's down to me taking creatine and whey protein along with TRT — most people (and AI) tell me it won't block the loss, but it could be fooling me into thinking I'm stuck because of water retention.

I'm eating at a deficit and doing my best to stay healthy, but it's a struggle.

Are you a native of Greece or did you relocate there? When I was young I used to take holidays there with my parents. I loved it!
 
littlerestraint said:

I'm hoping this will do the trick for me too, though the Reta hasn't been shifting much. Not sure whether that's down to me taking creatine and whey protein along with TRT — most people (and AI) tell me it won't block the loss, but it could be fooling me into thinking I'm stuck because of water retention.

I'm eating at a deficit and doing my best to stay healthy, but it's a struggle.

Are you a native of Greece or did you relocate there? When I was young I used to take holidays there with my parents. I loved it!
Born and raised here, buddy. Should you ever visit, just drop me a line if you need any pointers — glad to assist however I can!

My routine is keto-carnivore OMAD, and through that I shed roughly 40 kg (no pep involved) while also bringing down inflammation, glucose, insulin and such. The fasting was a big help too, and I ended up with zero loose skin. Losing weight purely through a calorie deficit is a different beast from getting into ketosis.

Why not give it a shot?

Unless your body fat percentage is extremely low, creatine isn't going to change anything. TRT helps since you avoid the muscle loss most people get on reta. Chances are you're putting on muscle, which means the number on the scale isn't telling you much.

Wishing you all the best, my friend!
 
Slaine said:

Born and raised here, buddy. Should you ever visit, just drop me a line if you need any pointers — glad to assist however I can!

My routine is keto-carnivore OMAD, and through that I shed roughly 40 kg (no pep involved) while also bringing down inflammation, glucose, insulin and such. The fasting was a big help too, and I ended up with zero loose skin. Losing weight purely through a calorie deficit is a different beast from getting into ketosis.

Why not give it a shot?

Unless your body fat percentage is extremely low, creatine isn't going to change anything. TRT helps since you avoid the muscle loss most people get on reta. Chances are you're putting on muscle, which means the number on the scale isn't telling you much.

Wishing you all the best, my friend!
That's a fantastic spot to call home! Well done!

Right now I'm on ultra low carb, not strictly keto though, but I may check that out, it sounds great.

Cheers man, really value the suggestion 😉
 
Back
Top