Looking back, what do you wish you'd known before starting a GLP-1?

Researcher.Rigby said:

During the first 6 weeks, stay away from foods that are high in fat — popcorn counts as one of them.
I was 4 days into tirz when I messed up and ordered a Mexican pizza from Taco Bell loaded with extra cheese. The diarrhea by itself caused me to drop weight.
 
SomeGuy_965 said:

Fiber. I wish someone had told me to maintain a high fiber intake.
For fiber, I'd been taking a coarse psyllium husk powder and it worked really well. I used to buy it on Amazon, but when I tried to order more, it had been shifted into the "Whole Foods" sale section and I couldn't get it anymore through my usual happy Amazon prime experience...I really dislike that F'in Whole Foods sale area of Amazon...NOT.THE.SAME....anyway, so I picked up a different psyllium husk product offa prime, and at first I figured it was okay...but now I'm starting to think it isn't okay 😳

...but yeah, fiber is your friend...👍
 
If I could turn back the clock, the one thing I'd want to understand is just how simple it is to go grey. Half a year of Wegovy set me back 1.500,- €. After that, I picked up individual vials from resellers at 200,- € each. Had that same money gone toward grey, it would have covered my supply for years.
 
If I could start over, I'd have snapped some "before" photos on day one, plus scheduled a DEXA scan at that same point. What I actually did was get scanned at 6 months and again at 9 months, and comparing those two was genuinely satisfying -- but looking back, week one is when I should have done both. (Also, everything BlueOwl mentioned regarding going grey.)
 
If I could go back, I'd want to have understood that dropping from 1X to XL doesn't mean you've reached the finish line. Halfway through losing weight, I replaced my entire wardrobe with new things from Nordstrom. These days I'm a size M, which meant all those pricey, never-worn XL pieces had to go. Such a waste!
 
Looking back, my biggest regret is rushing into purchases instead of taking the time to read and research thoroughly. The first order I placed based on quick research is not something I would pick today, and I also grabbed whatever syringes Amazon appeared to suggest first, rather than figuring out which ones were actually appropriate. But the most significant mistake was failing to grasp how CDC multidose-vial guidance differs from the real stability studies on reconstituted peptides. I took the most cautious timeline as if it were an absolute expiration date, which led me to discard vials that were only partially used before I understood what each set of guidelines was truly meant to cover. Given another chance, I would dedicate a week or two purely to learning about supplies, proper handling, stability, and the evidence underlying those timelines—all before placing an order or throwing anything out.
 
slimmingmouse65 said:

If I could go back, I'd want to have understood that dropping from 1X to XL doesn't mean you've reached the finish line. Halfway through losing weight, I replaced my entire wardrobe with new things from Nordstrom. These days I'm a size M, which meant all those pricey, never-worn XL pieces had to go. Such a waste!
Right now I've got Vinted open in another tab. Selling your newer pieces there might be an option? And perhaps transition into your current size gradually with just a handful of buys? Things go for very little there. ThredUp works well too. Hope the new wardrobe comes together smoothly. Oddly enough, shopping holds zero appeal for me, yet nothing in my closet fits anymore. At some point something has to change.
 
Back when I began compounded sema, the guidance I received was to take in 100g of protein and 2 liters of water every day. Eating enough in general was a challenge for me, and protein wasn't something I made a priority. As a result, I dropped some muscle in addition to fat. I stopped for 5 months, during which I gradually put on 8 pounds, but I managed to hit 120-130g of protein plus 2 liters of water daily while lifting weights 3 days a week. Now, on a low dose of Reta, I can keep up the protein, the water and the lifting routine, and I've shed 5 pounds over 6 weeks. Another incredible change: I hardly ever feel cold now. I have hypothyroidism and spent 30+ years literally freezing (to the point my bones ached from shivering). That's gone now! What a wonderful feeling that is!
 
Two things:

1. The titration plan from the trials isn't a fit for everybody. My mom and my sister both moved up without trouble from 1 mg to 2 mg to 3 mg and past that. They kept pushing me to increase my dose, and that month turned into the worst acid reflux I've ever had. For me, low and slow has been far, far better. As of March 2026 I'm only at 2.5 mg, and I've dropped roughly 36 lbs.

2. That fiber sources differ a lot. Psyllium husk is off the table for me because it leaves me extremely uncomfortable. Sunfiber, though, works incredibly well in my case. I can't go without it.
 
AngieHolmes said:

Right now I've got Vinted open in another tab. Selling your newer pieces there might be an option? And perhaps transition into your current size gradually with just a handful of buys? Things go for very little there. ThredUp works well too. Hope the new wardrobe comes together smoothly. Oddly enough, shopping holds zero appeal for me, yet nothing in my closet fits anymore. At some point something has to change.
I stopped by Goodwill to pick up a couple of items in the size I wear now. My XL clothes went to donations and to people I know. Vinted is on my list to try. Shopping is not really my thing either, so I get what you mean!
 
If only I had found this forum earlier — I could have gone the gray route and gotten familiar with crypto, rather than burning cash on single vials of ridiculously overpriced reta and other peptides 🤦🏻‍♀️ Still, it was a lesson learned.
 
HRH_IceQueen said:

If only I had found this forum earlier — I could have gone the gray route and gotten familiar with crypto, rather than burning cash on single vials of ridiculously overpriced reta and other peptides 🤦🏻‍♀️ Still, it was a lesson learned.
Plenty of folks here took the same path you did, so you're not alone at all. There's definitely a learning curve to it.
 
Finding this forum much earlier is something I genuinely regret not doing. Years back, my GP brought up liraglutide, but a daily injection didn't seem very effective to me and the cost was high, so from then on I only read google scholar and had no clue a whole grey market was out there. I spent a year on a fairly strict diet to lose 70 kilos, then another year after that working to keep it off, all before learning that low dose ozempic in Australia was actually not that expensive at about $140 Aud/mo. I had simply assumed the price was far too high to even think about, and cheaper compounding in Aus was never really available to any great extent. After that came a year of trying to make it work while feeling malaise, fatigue and nausea pretty much the whole time, though it was just barely worth it to be less hungry.

I tried switching to tirzepatide, thinking each $690 ( abt $500 usd ) script could be stretched to last 4 or 5 months or so, but my side effects were so few and I needed a lot more than expected to stop being hungry, and paying that much, or even half of it monthly, was completely out of reach on social security income. A lot of time went into hunting google scholar for naturally occurring herbal or supplement type GLP-1 agonists or positive allosteric modulators. A few do exist, but none without toxicity and none with any human trials. Then this site turned up and all at once I had tirz for roughly 1/20th the price and could choose a dose that worked rather than one I could afford. Those 3 weeks waiting for delivery were about the most impatient I've ever been. When GLP's first became available from China I'm not really sure, but at the very least I could have spared myself that year of feeling pukey from ozempic, and possibly even the 70 kilos lost without GLP's, had I known. I'm still grateful to have found this place, but coming across it sooner would have avoided a good deal of suffering.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Finding this forum much earlier is something I genuinely regret not doing. Years back, my GP brought up liraglutide, but a daily injection didn't seem very effective to me and the cost was high, so from then on I only read google scholar and had no clue a whole grey market was out there. I spent a year on a fairly strict diet to lose 70 kilos, then another year after that working to keep it off, all before learning that low dose ozempic in Australia was actually not that expensive at about $140 Aud/mo. I had simply assumed the price was far too high to even think about, and cheaper compounding in Aus was never really available to any great extent. After that came a year of trying to make it work while feeling malaise, fatigue and nausea pretty much the whole time, though it was just barely worth it to be less hungry.

I tried switching to tirzepatide, thinking each $690 ( abt $500 usd ) script could be stretched to last 4 or 5 months or so, but my side effects were so few and I needed a lot more than expected to stop being hungry, and paying that much, or even half of it monthly, was completely out of reach on social security income. A lot of time went into hunting google scholar for naturally occurring herbal or supplement type GLP-1 agonists or positive allosteric modulators. A few do exist, but none without toxicity and none with any human trials. Then this site turned up and all at once I had tirz for roughly 1/20th the price and could choose a dose that worked rather than one I could afford. Those 3 weeks waiting for delivery were about the most impatient I've ever been. When GLP's first became available from China I'm not really sure, but at the very least I could have spared myself that year of feeling pukey from ozempic, and possibly even the 70 kilos lost without GLP's, had I known. I'm still grateful to have found this place, but coming across it sooner would have avoided a good deal of suffering.
Your route to this point, and to better weight and health, has clearly been one of the tougher ones... 👍 Huge respect for how stubbornly you kept going, especially in the days before tirz... That same fire still comes through in what you write, along with an unmistakable enthusiasm for health and everything GLP....quite a journey....really motivating... 👍
 
Back
Top