Living life on the edge

mtomm

Explorer
Joined
Feb 5, 2026
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
 
If they realized glp-1s could be purchased for literally 100x cheaper than the brand name, they'd likely think twice 😂
 
mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
 
Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
 
Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
I appreciate the pointer. I'll look into it.
 
CandyCap said:

mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
The product comes in a green plastic bottle that isn't see-through. You can find it from many sellers on Temu. Hope it works out for you.
 
Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
Lab Muffin got a shoutout! I've been a follower of hers for a long time, but making the vitamin c serum myself is something I still haven't gotten around to 😭
 
Wow, this is great! @mtomm and @Sparky757, thanks for passing along such helpful details. I'd been applying alcohol-free witch hazel to my underarms and underboob area, and I'd also come across that glycolic acid could work well, yet I had no idea mandelic acid was available on Temu. I'll take a look at Lab Muffin too. Really appreciate it!
 
Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
🤣 That cracked me up, honestly LOL

mtomm said:

CandyCap said:

mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
The product comes in a green plastic bottle that isn't see-through. You can find it from many sellers on Temu. Hope it works out for you.
Would this be the correct product - "Mandelic Acid Clean Scrub Gel"?





4e034270f40d8b7834dd174fd86850f71d34044a64c6353f9c0b0a3a99c17a9c.webp
 
Ruckus4519 said:

Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
Lab Muffin got a shoutout! I've been a follower of hers for a long time, but making the vitamin c serum myself is something I still haven't gotten around to 😭
She satisfies that science-nerd "but why?" urge. Plus, an Aussie accent is something I really enjoy hearing.

Stripped down, it's just ascorbic acid, distilled water, baking soda, and hyaluronic acid. It has to stay in the fridge, away from light, inside a dark glass bottle, and you need to mix up a fresh batch roughly every week. Ascorbic acid breaks down fast, and here's a fun fact: DHAA, one of the things it turns into as it oxidizes, sometimes shows up in self-tanning lotion. So when you begin looking like you've just returned from the beach, that's your cue to make the serum again.
 
PineCone99 said:

Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
🤣 That cracked me up, honestly LOL

mtomm said:

CandyCap said:

mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
The product comes in a green plastic bottle that isn't see-through. You can find it from many sellers on Temu. Hope it works out for you.
Would this be the correct product - "Mandelic Acid Clean Scrub Gel"?





View attachment 11914
That's all there is to it! The price has risen. 😞
 
mtomm said:

PineCone99 said:

Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
🤣 That cracked me up, honestly LOL

mtomm said:

CandyCap said:

mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
The product comes in a green plastic bottle that isn't see-through. You can find it from many sellers on Temu. Hope it works out for you.
Would this be the correct product - "Mandelic Acid Clean Scrub Gel"?





View attachment 11914
That's all there is to it! The price has risen. 😞
It's still a good price—I just needed to confirm I was looking at the correct product. Thanks a lot!
 
PineCone99 said:

mtomm said:

PineCone99 said:

Sparky757 said:

Glycolic acid does the trick too. Your underarm skin's pH gets shifted by acids, which makes it a place where the bacteria that leave behind smelly waste can't survive. One downside I've run into: even though my pits themselves have zero odor, a shirt can end up turning into a second home for those bacteria, and the acid sitting on my skin isn't strong enough to kill the smell that's taken hold in the fabric. Glycolic acid powder is available for extremely little money. I dilute it with distilled water to match The Ordinary's 7% by weight strength, then add a splash of hyaluronic acid so the mixture is slightly thicker and spreads over my underarms more easily.

She's my number one beauty science communicator. (Sure, her channel's called Lab Muffin, which sounds a little less serious, but everything she does is science-first). The glycolic acid deodorant trick is the opening one in this video. Worth following her. She also has a DIY vitamin C serum that I whip up roughly once a week for next to nothing.
🤣 That cracked me up, honestly LOL

mtomm said:

CandyCap said:

mtomm said:

I've got a short story that still makes me grin. Mostly it just feels good to have found my people here on GLP1.

Over on a menopause subreddit I kept reading posts from women using Lume deodorant and soap, all grumbling about what it costs.

Since the price is silly, I went digging and learned that mandelic acid is what does the work in their products, or in some of them at least. Anything I could find ran around $10 an ounce, which is absurd. Then I spotted a gel version on Temu. Picked some up, gave it a go, and stocked the shelves. It performs beautifully at about $1 an ounce. 😊

So I figured I would share my amazing find with the ladies over there. What I did not expect was the MELTDOWN from some of them over buying skincare made in China.

Probably best I don't bring up my grey market meds.

Good times!
That's my top pick for deodorant! I'll definitely need to get some of that gel and give it a go!
The product comes in a green plastic bottle that isn't see-through. You can find it from many sellers on Temu. Hope it works out for you.
Would this be the correct product - "Mandelic Acid Clean Scrub Gel"?





View attachment 11914
That's all there is to it! The price has risen. 😞
It's still a good price—I just needed to confirm I was looking at the correct product. Thanks a lot!
Hearing that brings me joy. May it do for you what it's done for my family.
 
Back
Top