Lipase spike on retatrutide: 39 to 249 U/L in 4 weeks — anyone else?

Waterheater

Explorer
Joined
Mar 4, 2026
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Norway
I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
 
I’m not sure whether triglycerides were part of the testing. Aren’t the triglyceride effects only favorable? For example, my liver numbers went from the 50s down to 20.

My worry is that lipase can be somewhat linked to pancreatitis.
 
This past week I ran lipase and amylase labs. Nothing felt off — I just wanted a starting point in case pancreatitis ever comes up.

What I hadn't come across before was the idea that these enzymes can rise without any symptoms at all. My understanding had been that symptoms show up first, and labs are what confirm the cause.

GPT says

Asymptomatic + <3× ULN → monitor, no immediate action

  • Recheck in 4–12 weeks
  • Continue GLP-1 unless:
    • Levels keep climbing
    • Symptoms develop

It suggests it’s not a concern until you’re 3x the lab upper range.
 
Waterheater said:

I’m not sure whether triglycerides were part of the testing. Aren’t the triglyceride effects only favorable? For example, my liver numbers went from the 50s down to 20.

My worry is that lipase can be somewhat linked to pancreatitis.
When it comes to triglycerides, the impact is favorable. Fat gets broken down by lipase. A rise like this could reflect your system shifting into a different metabolic mode and breaking down stored fat.

The following curiosity of Ai

Retatrutide is an investigational triple-hormone agonist that acts on GLP-1, GIP, and glucagon receptors. It has two main points of interaction with lipase: its influence on lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which plays a role in fat metabolism, and its possible effect on pancreatic lipase levels.

1. Lipid Metabolism and Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL)

According to research, Retatrutide produces a notable improvement in the lipid profile by acting on the proteins that control fat breakdown.

• Reduction of ANGPTL3/8: Clinical data from 2024–2026 indicates that Retatrutide lowers ANGPTL3/8 levels in a dose-dependent manner. This compound is the strongest known inhibitor of lipoprotein lipase (LPL).

• Enhanced Fat Breakdown: When these inhibitors are reduced by Retatrutide, LPL can function more efficiently. As a result, triglycerides drop substantially—at higher doses, by as much as 40%—because triglyceride-rich lipoproteins are cleared from the blood more quickly.

2. Pancreatic Lipase and Safety

As with other drugs in the GLP-1 and GIP class, including Semaglutide and Tirzepatide, the pancreas is an area that requires clinical monitoring with Retatrutide.

• Asymptomatic Elevations: Mild increases in serum amylase and lipase levels, without symptoms, are frequently observed in clinical trials for this drug class. These rises usually appear with no clinical evidence of pancreatitis.

• Pancreatitis Risk: Serious cases of acute pancreatitis are uncommon, but when a significant lipase increase comes with severe abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting, it is generally handled as a medical priority.
 
Waterheater said:

I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
This isn't getting the attention it deserves.... Dropping weight at that pace is extreme. Losing pounds that quickly puts real strain on both the gallbladder and the pancreas. It would be wise to ease off the speed and get follow-up labs done soon.
 
Jfrick11 said:

Waterheater said:

I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
This isn't getting the attention it deserves.... Dropping weight at that pace is extreme. Losing pounds that quickly puts real strain on both the gallbladder and the pancreas. It would be wise to ease off the speed and get follow-up labs done soon.

Losing 13 pounds during month 1 isn't extreme—a lot of that is water coming off from glycogen and other shifts. Still, that represents a hefty share of body weight.

I'm at week 17 and averaging 1%/week. Being aggressive while keeping stress moderate means targeting 1-1.2%/week for me. From what I read before starting, staying above 1.5% for long stretches is a reliable route to feeling awful.

Every so often a week goes past that mark—not a problem, I tweak things and keep going. This Monday through Saturday I was down 4lb (2.3% adjusted weekly), so I lowered my dose on Friday and just ate whatever sounded good.
 
woundcarping said:

Jfrick11 said:

Waterheater said:

I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
This isn't getting the attention it deserves.... Dropping weight at that pace is extreme. Losing pounds that quickly puts real strain on both the gallbladder and the pancreas. It would be wise to ease off the speed and get follow-up labs done soon.

Losing 13 pounds during month 1 isn't extreme—a lot of that is water coming off from glycogen and other shifts. Still, that represents a hefty share of body weight.

I'm at week 17 and averaging 1%/week. Being aggressive while keeping stress moderate means targeting 1-1.2%/week for me. From what I read before starting, staying above 1.5% for long stretches is a reliable route to feeling awful.

Every so often a week goes past that mark—not a problem, I tweak things and keep going. This Monday through Saturday I was down 4lb (2.3% adjusted weekly), so I lowered my dose on Friday and just ate whatever sounded good.
Sure, glycogen and water explain some of it, but dropping 13 lbs within 4 weeks alongside lipase climbing 4× isn’t what I’d call “normal early loss.” To me that looks like your body raising an alarm
 
Jfrick11 said:

woundcarping said:

Jfrick11 said:

Waterheater said:

I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
This isn't getting the attention it deserves.... Dropping weight at that pace is extreme. Losing pounds that quickly puts real strain on both the gallbladder and the pancreas. It would be wise to ease off the speed and get follow-up labs done soon.

Losing 13 pounds during month 1 isn't extreme—a lot of that is water coming off from glycogen and other shifts. Still, that represents a hefty share of body weight.

I'm at week 17 and averaging 1%/week. Being aggressive while keeping stress moderate means targeting 1-1.2%/week for me. From what I read before starting, staying above 1.5% for long stretches is a reliable route to feeling awful.

Every so often a week goes past that mark—not a problem, I tweak things and keep going. This Monday through Saturday I was down 4lb (2.3% adjusted weekly), so I lowered my dose on Friday and just ate whatever sounded good.
Sure, glycogen and water explain some of it, but dropping 13 lbs within 4 weeks alongside lipase climbing 4× isn’t what I’d call “normal early loss.” To me that looks like your body raising an alarm

After going through several sources this morning, the shared conclusion I keep running into is that lipase rises without symptoms, as long as they stay below 3x the upper limit, are essentially a non issue.

Some sources even go as far as saying routine labs should not be done, precisely so people don't get anxious about a non issue.

So when do changes become worth considering? The consensus points to symptoms being present.

My own numbers: 11lb gone in month 1 of Tirz, then 13lb in month 1 of Reta. Nothing suggesting pancreatic problems, and last week amylase came back at 60U/l with lipase at 53U/l. Those were the first labs I ran for this, and I suspect the values were higher earlier on, but there's no way for me to confirm that now. Data anxiety isn't really something I deal with, though I did read that labs aren't a leading indicator of pancreatitis and instead get used to Dx suspected symptoms. The tests cost only a few bucks and I wanted the data.

Is there any specific information on your side that goes against this? So far I haven't come across any, other than your posts.

Gemini captured it in 1 screen shot:





111c54dfa8156f887488689016cf68b9a1c2400124269a2a501a0e3834d748f0.webp
 
woundcarping said:

Jfrick11 said:

woundcarping said:

Jfrick11 said:

Waterheater said:

I'm 4 weeks into retatrutide and my lipase came back massively elevated.

Bloodwork results show lipase went from 39 U/L in March to 249 U/L now (ref 13–60) — that's a bit more than 4× the upper limit. Pancreatic amylase climbed too: 27 → 80 U/L (ref 10–65).

I feel fine, no stomach pain or anything else. Actually feeling great. Weight dropped from 90 kg (198 lbs) to 83.8 kg (185 lbs) over those 4 weeks, which is a bigger loss than I'd have predicted on just 1mg.

From what I understand, elevated lipase without symptoms is a recognized class effect for GLP-1 based drugs, and the NEJM phase 2 data does reference it. Still, going from 39 to 249 in one month seems like a lot, and I want to know if others have had similar readings.

Anyone else had this happen on reta? Did yours level off, or did you change your dose?
This isn't getting the attention it deserves.... Dropping weight at that pace is extreme. Losing pounds that quickly puts real strain on both the gallbladder and the pancreas. It would be wise to ease off the speed and get follow-up labs done soon.

Losing 13 pounds during month 1 isn't extreme—a lot of that is water coming off from glycogen and other shifts. Still, that represents a hefty share of body weight.

I'm at week 17 and averaging 1%/week. Being aggressive while keeping stress moderate means targeting 1-1.2%/week for me. From what I read before starting, staying above 1.5% for long stretches is a reliable route to feeling awful.

Every so often a week goes past that mark—not a problem, I tweak things and keep going. This Monday through Saturday I was down 4lb (2.3% adjusted weekly), so I lowered my dose on Friday and just ate whatever sounded good.
Sure, glycogen and water explain some of it, but dropping 13 lbs within 4 weeks alongside lipase climbing 4× isn’t what I’d call “normal early loss.” To me that looks like your body raising an alarm

After going through several sources this morning, the shared conclusion I keep running into is that lipase rises without symptoms, as long as they stay below 3x the upper limit, are essentially a non issue.

Some sources even go as far as saying routine labs should not be done, precisely so people don't get anxious about a non issue.

So when do changes become worth considering? The consensus points to symptoms being present.

My own numbers: 11lb gone in month 1 of Tirz, then 13lb in month 1 of Reta. Nothing suggesting pancreatic problems, and last week amylase came back at 60U/l with lipase at 53U/l. Those were the first labs I ran for this, and I suspect the values were higher earlier on, but there's no way for me to confirm that now. Data anxiety isn't really something I deal with, though I did read that labs aren't a leading indicator of pancreatitis and instead get used to Dx suspected symptoms. The tests cost only a few bucks and I wanted the data.

Is there any specific information on your side that goes against this? So far I haven't come across any, other than your posts.

Gemini captured it in 1 screen shot:





View attachment 11506
The <3× ULN cutoff traces back to how pancreatitis gets diagnosed — major guidelines like ACG and AGA require ≥3× ULN together with symptoms to make the call. Yet that identical cutoff explains why readings past it tend not to be waved off completely, symptoms or no symptoms.

Lipase going up on GLP-1s is a recognized effect, though what the trials typically report are small rises — not a climb past 4× ULN within a single month. That lands outside what would count as an ordinary, mild bump.

My point isn't that pancreatitis is what's happening here. It's that once you're past 3× ULN, that's generally the line where a clinician pauses and takes another look instead of labeling it a non, issue — particularly when fast weight loss is in the picture.

One more thing, to avoid confusion.... your own experience isn't what's under discussion. What the OP is dealing with differs: >4× ULN alongside rapid weight loss. Different circumstances call for a different degree of caution.

And the screenshot you posted itself states plainly that when lipase goes beyond 3× ULN, the move is to stop or adjust.

908b71eaae17f8970393ee93e3259a6365f6e1c76b9b08a97d4be0b975bac172.webp
 
Hallo, ich bin jetzt ungefähr 2 Jahre in dieser Community und habe durch Reta 34 kg verloren. Anfangs nahm ich Tirz, ging bis 7,5 mg, danach habe ich umgestellt. Aktuell spritze ich pro Woche 2,5 bis 5 mg Reta zur Erhaltung. Hat noch jemand von Euch begleitenden Durchfall erlebt und wie seid ihr damit umgegangen? Das wird ja häufig als Nebenwirkung genannt. Ansonsten geht es mir gut, lediglich meine Haut ist empfindlicher geworden.

Hello,

I have been part of this community for over two years at this point, and Reta has helped me drop 34 kg. At first I used Tirz, going up to 7.5 mg, after which I made the switch. These days I inject 2.5 to 5 mg of Reta each week as a maintenance dose. Has anyone else here dealt with diarrhea as a side effect, and how did you handle it? It gets brought up often as a common side effect. Apart from that, I feel well; the only change is that my skin has become more sensitive.
 
sorry a Try to translate:

I’ve been around this community for more than two years at this point, and Reta has helped me drop 34 kg. My first medication was Tirz, which I went up to 7.5 mg, and after that I made the switch. These days my maintenance routine is a weekly injection of 2.5 to 5 mg of Reta. Does anyone else deal with diarrhea as a side effect, and if so, how did you handle it? It comes up a lot as something common. Apart from that, things are going fine for me; the only other thing is that my skin has gotten more sensitive.
 
Appreciate everyone’s input

I’ll come back to this thread with an update in roughly one month. Until then, as long as no additional side effects show up, my intention is to stay at 1mg and target 1kg of weight loss per week, get another blood test in mid may, and then decide what to do next.

The numbers are elevated, and I’m hoping that part of what’s driving them is the intense exercise and the fat loss.
 
Back
Top