Leg swelling while on reta?

TooBigtoFail said:

woundcarping said:

TooBigtoFail said:

woundcarping said:

TooBigtoFail said:

I haven't had any swelling. What happens with swelling is that blood collects in the tissue near the ankles — it isn't drawn upward by a fireplace. Look up what can cause it. On a GLP1 you should be taking in more fluids. Could the blood be thicker than normal? Go get a medical evaluation. The issues that showed up for me over the last 2 years (dry eyes, NAION, kidney stones, and so on) might just come with aging. I can't show that any of them came from glp1. Read about the ABI test, which checks the Ankle Brachial Index, to compare blood pressure readings at your ankles versus your arms.

Would you be willing to share what happened with the NAION? Yours is the first account I’ve come across from someone who actually went through it.

On the NAION topic: I had been using Tirz for a year and had dropped 60# when, out of nowhere, vision in my left eye vanished. The lower half of my field of view turned blank — as if someone raised a curtain — and it lasted roughly 4-5 minutes. I was outdoors at the time, soldering some wires. There was nothing else going on. My eye doctor diagnosed it as NAION and advised me to quit Tirz (I didn't). She said this was a recognized adverse effect. Apart from still carrying 50# of extra weight, I had no other conditions. When I looked through medical journals, what I found was that 'a definitive causal link has not been established'. Since GLP1 use is tracked and reported so heavily, it's simple to assign blame. In my view, the more likely explanation is fast weight loss, dehydration, rather than the glp1 itself. These days I'm down 104#, retired, and healthier than I was at 25. My hunch is that doctors are protecting themselves.... Every 4-5 months I get nutritional blood tests, and nothing comes back off except mildly elevated Ketones, which makes sense since I prioritize protein intake.

How did the NAION ultimately resolve in your case?

Would you be able to go into more detail about the nutritional blood panels?
My eyesight returned within 4-5 minutes. The doctor said I was fortunate because it might have lasted forever. Quest offers standard cmp/cbc panels, lipid tests, and more, including thyroid indicators (TSH, T3, and T4), nutritional markers (ferritin, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and folate), plus other tests you can ask for. Physicians typically order only 1, or at most 2, of these panels annually. I order extra on my own.

Great news that the nerve endings survived!

I figured you meant a panel of blood tests that I hadn't heard of before.

Cheap labs are my kind of thing, and it's even nicer when there's a sale so I can buy in bulk!😂





0b86f4b4cda9cdd7362cc9c846e79d03699c6ac8887fac717aea9240210c9427.webp
 
TooBigtoFail said:

woundcarping said:

TooBigtoFail said:

woundcarping said:

TooBigtoFail said:

I haven't had any swelling. What happens with swelling is that blood collects in the tissue near the ankles — it isn't drawn upward by a fireplace. Look up what can cause it. On a GLP1 you should be taking in more fluids. Could the blood be thicker than normal? Go get a medical evaluation. The issues that showed up for me over the last 2 years (dry eyes, NAION, kidney stones, and so on) might just come with aging. I can't show that any of them came from glp1. Read about the ABI test, which checks the Ankle Brachial Index, to compare blood pressure readings at your ankles versus your arms.

Would you be willing to share what happened with the NAION? Yours is the first account I’ve come across from someone who actually went through it.

On the NAION topic: I had been using Tirz for a year and had dropped 60# when, out of nowhere, vision in my left eye vanished. The lower half of my field of view turned blank — as if someone raised a curtain — and it lasted roughly 4-5 minutes. I was outdoors at the time, soldering some wires. There was nothing else going on. My eye doctor diagnosed it as NAION and advised me to quit Tirz (I didn't). She said this was a recognized adverse effect. Apart from still carrying 50# of extra weight, I had no other conditions. When I looked through medical journals, what I found was that 'a definitive causal link has not been established'. Since GLP1 use is tracked and reported so heavily, it's simple to assign blame. In my view, the more likely explanation is fast weight loss, dehydration, rather than the glp1 itself. These days I'm down 104#, retired, and healthier than I was at 25. My hunch is that doctors are protecting themselves.... Every 4-5 months I get nutritional blood tests, and nothing comes back off except mildly elevated Ketones, which makes sense since I prioritize protein intake.

How did the NAION ultimately resolve in your case?

Would you be able to go into more detail about the nutritional blood panels?
My eyesight returned within 4-5 minutes. The doctor said I was fortunate because it might have lasted forever. Quest offers standard cmp/cbc panels, lipid tests, and more, including thyroid indicators (TSH, T3, and T4), nutritional markers (ferritin, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and folate), plus other tests you can ask for. Physicians typically order only 1, or at most 2, of these panels annually. I order extra on my own.

Do you know what your cup-to-disc ratio is for your eyes? Are you on any blood pressure medications? This is really frightening, and it’s why I’m stopping tirzepatide—even though I don’t have any other conditions besides a high BMI (my A1C is normal, I’m not on BP meds, and I don’t know my cup-to-disc ratio), I think 🙁
 
I don't have a cup-to-disc ratio figure. I'm not on any medications for anything. A close friend from way back experienced a similar eye issue when he was in his 30s. His doctor told him to quit smoking because it was making his blood too thick. NAION is essentially a small blood clot or a shortage of oxygen. "is often called an "eye stroke" because it results from a sudden loss of blood flow to the optic nerve". Could I have been dehydrated? maybe. A drop in blood pressure? maybe, since bp now sits around 100/60 (it used to be 145/90). I'll never get a definitive answer.
 
Back
Top