Lean Bulk After Cutting: Maintenance Timing and Peptide Choices

Galapagosfit

Explorer
Joined
Mar 26, 2026
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Location
Quebec canada
I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
 
It really comes down to how old you are. If you're under 40, HGH would be my pick; past 40, TRT.

I'm in the exact same situation — my plan is to get lean by June, then kick off the bulk around September. As for peptides for muscle growth, the price is way too high for the tiny amount of gains you get, especially when compared to Test or HGH.

Dropping the GLP-1 entirely isn't something I'd do. What most bodybuilders do is just lower the dose, which keeps hunger high enough to hit daily protein targets while still getting the health benefits. A microdosing protocol might be worth checking out.
 
How long you wait between phases is not important. 1 or 2 weeks works fine. The key is to actually log your food intake and make sure the surplus stays modest. Keep in mind that when you switch over, you'll likely add at least 3 or 4 lbs just from replenishing muscle glycogen plus the water that comes with it. Past that, a lean bulk usually means keeping your bulk-to-cut ratio somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1. In other words, for each 4-6 weeks spent bulking, the amount you gain should be roughly what you can lose in 1 week with a sensible deficit.

Take this example: a 150 cal daily surplus maintained for 4 months. That adds about 5 lbs. Losing that again takes only about 1 month. If you do this, you'll end up a bit leaner with each cycle. If getting leaner isn't the goal, you'd go closer to 6:1. And remember to factor in glycogen and water shifts whenever you change phases.
 
5byfive said:

How long you wait between phases is not important. 1 or 2 weeks works fine. The key is to actually log your food intake and make sure the surplus stays modest. Keep in mind that when you switch over, you'll likely add at least 3 or 4 lbs just from replenishing muscle glycogen plus the water that comes with it. Past that, a lean bulk usually means keeping your bulk-to-cut ratio somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1. In other words, for each 4-6 weeks spent bulking, the amount you gain should be roughly what you can lose in 1 week with a sensible deficit.

Take this example: a 150 cal daily surplus maintained for 4 months. That adds about 5 lbs. Losing that again takes only about 1 month. If you do this, you'll end up a bit leaner with each cycle. If getting leaner isn't the goal, you'd go closer to 6:1. And remember to factor in glycogen and water shifts whenever you change phases.
That ratio is new to me, but it genuinely clicks.
 
Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
What's the reasoning behind avoiding TRT, if you don't mind me asking? For me, TRT therapy has been fantastic when it comes to keeping and building lean muscle mass, with results varying based on how Reta, Tesa, and calorie intake are combined. It feels like a 3-part combination, and I'm puzzled why more people aren't taking advantage of it.
 
bonelifts said:

Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
What's the reasoning behind avoiding TRT, if you don't mind me asking? For me, TRT therapy has been fantastic when it comes to keeping and building lean muscle mass, with results varying based on how Reta, Tesa, and calorie intake are combined. It feels like a 3-part combination, and I'm puzzled why more people aren't taking advantage of it.
Same here. Age 55, in my case. Right now I run 230mg Test, 8mg Reta, 1mg Cagri, 500 mcg BPC twice a day, plus TB 2.5mg on Mon and Thur. A few months back I added Cagri, since Reta had zero effect on my appetite and upping the dose only brought side effects (hiccups lasting close to 24 hours, and broken sleep). After Cagri began working, the plateau broke and I'm dropping 1 or 2+ pounds per week again. Only 2 weeks ago I moved up to 1mg, and my plan is to reduce Reta to 6mg, which should ease the occasional hiccups and improve my sleep a bit more.
 
bonelifts said:

Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
What's the reasoning behind avoiding TRT, if you don't mind me asking? For me, TRT therapy has been fantastic when it comes to keeping and building lean muscle mass, with results varying based on how Reta, Tesa, and calorie intake are combined. It feels like a 3-part combination, and I'm puzzled why more people aren't taking advantage of it.
I might just lack knowledge here, but this whole thing freaks me out... At 29 and in decent shape, the last thing I want is to screw up what my body makes on its own. Being tied to something forever isn't appealing. Kids aren't in the picture yet, but having them down the road is something I want. Fertility is not something I'm willing to gamble with... I figure once I'm older, I'll probably revisit that whole conversation.
 
Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
Speaking from my own experience after years in this game, staying at maintenance or any similar phase doesn't really make holding that spot any simpler. What actually does the job is plain discipline. That said, a small dose of Reta does smooth things out. If trt isn't something you're going to use, you'll hear from others about peptides that raise test, and assuming everything else is in order, those look like the strongest remaining option for putting on muscle. As I see it, HGH at low doses won't do much or make a real difference unless your Igf is already on the low side.
 
Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)

- Time spent at maintenance following a cut: in all honesty, it isn't truly necessary. Simply keep your diet clean and your calorie intake near maintenance.

- How would you handle a lean bulk once you're off GLP-1 medication? Do you know your tdee? For lean bulking, I personally go 300 cals above maintencance. There's no secret to it, just make sure the calorie surplus stays deliberate and controlled. Use a food tracking app. Weigh and log everything you eat, stay scientific, and you genuinely have nothing to worry about.

Which peptides work best for lean muscle growth and gym performance? - enclomiphene + hgh for testosterone boosting (while on them they double mine, they don't suppress your natural production, the only real side effect is minor bloating from aromtization of the extra test your balls are producing). Also HGH is the bees knees, 2-4iu daily should do you right.
 
wildweasel said:

Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)

- Time spent at maintenance following a cut: in all honesty, it isn't truly necessary. Simply keep your diet clean and your calorie intake near maintenance.

- How would you handle a lean bulk once you're off GLP-1 medication? Do you know your tdee? For lean bulking, I personally go 300 cals above maintencance. There's no secret to it, just make sure the calorie surplus stays deliberate and controlled. Use a food tracking app. Weigh and log everything you eat, stay scientific, and you genuinely have nothing to worry about.

Which peptides work best for lean muscle growth and gym performance? - enclomiphene + hgh for testosterone boosting (while on them they double mine, they don't suppress your natural production, the only real side effect is minor bloating from aromtization of the extra test your balls are producing). Also HGH is the bees knees, 2-4iu daily should do you right.

Calorie tracking is already part of my deficit routine. Once I hit my target body fat, my plan is to raise intake by roughly 100 calories each week so my metabolism can recover. Every week I'll check the scale and judge whether that bump is too big or too small.

This week I added cjc-1295/ipamorelin into the mix, mainly to support recovery while cutting. Enclomiphene is still unfamiliar to me, so I'll look into it. Thanks for all the helpful ideas 👌
 
Galapagosfit said:

bonelifts said:

Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
What's the reasoning behind avoiding TRT, if you don't mind me asking? For me, TRT therapy has been fantastic when it comes to keeping and building lean muscle mass, with results varying based on how Reta, Tesa, and calorie intake are combined. It feels like a 3-part combination, and I'm puzzled why more people aren't taking advantage of it.
I might just lack knowledge here, but this whole thing freaks me out... At 29 and in decent shape, the last thing I want is to screw up what my body makes on its own. Being tied to something forever isn't appealing. Kids aren't in the picture yet, but having them down the road is something I want. Fertility is not something I'm willing to gamble with... I figure once I'm older, I'll probably revisit that whole conversation.

If you're 29, TRT is something you should avoid—once you start, it's permanent. Assuming your health is fine, your levels ought to sit within the normal range. Should you choose to go a different route, research everything thoroughly before you begin.
 
Muscle growth is not what peptides do. Attempting to use them that way means a long, hard slog. That job belongs to anabolics, test and hgh, together with serious hours in the gym.
 
d0se1 said:

Galapagosfit said:

bonelifts said:

Galapagosfit said:

I'm currently cutting, and Reta helps me stay within my calorie target without much trouble. After years of training, I'm finally at the point where I want to see the payoff. My body fat percentage is getting close to where I want it, so I've started thinking ahead to maintenance and what comes after. The idea is to sit around 10-12% through summer, then kick off a lean bulk in October. Last year I messed up by jumping right into a bulk, and I ended up carrying extra fat the entire winter. (Back then I had no idea peptides existed.)

I'd like to hear your thoughts: how long should someone stay in maintenance to maximize the odds of holding onto leanness? After using GLP-1 medication, how would you structure a lean bulk? And which peptides give the best support for lean muscle growth and performance in the gym? (I'm not interested in going the TRT route.)
What's the reasoning behind avoiding TRT, if you don't mind me asking? For me, TRT therapy has been fantastic when it comes to keeping and building lean muscle mass, with results varying based on how Reta, Tesa, and calorie intake are combined. It feels like a 3-part combination, and I'm puzzled why more people aren't taking advantage of it.
I might just lack knowledge here, but this whole thing freaks me out... At 29 and in decent shape, the last thing I want is to screw up what my body makes on its own. Being tied to something forever isn't appealing. Kids aren't in the picture yet, but having them down the road is something I want. Fertility is not something I'm willing to gamble with... I figure once I'm older, I'll probably revisit that whole conversation.

If you're 29, TRT is something you should avoid—once you start, it's permanent. Assuming your health is fine, your levels ought to sit within the normal range. Should you choose to go a different route, research everything thoroughly before you begin.

Agreed. Get your levels checked first, then do whatever you can to lift that number naturally — your whole life improves 360° either way

At 36 my T is naturally high, and the one-way TRT road isn't something I plan to take... ask me again in 15-20 years

HGH may get considered a few years down the line. For the moment, peptides alone are enough for me (I know muscle growth can't really be hurried, but staying on top of diet and recovering faster makes everything easier)
 
At 29 and without children, I wouldn't touch TRT. That said, when I hit my late 40's I got my levels tested, and my free T came back in the 120's, so TRT has been incredible in my case. Staying on it for life doesn't bother me one bit — at least I'm not dragging through the day, and my training has gone through the roof because of it. I feel 15 years younger, stronger, fitter, more alert. For you, HGH combined with ceratine, weight training and diet is probably the best route — and try to push protien intake as high as you can.
 
Back
Top