Laser etched vials

AlexSilver

Explorer
Joined
Jan 20, 2026
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Location
Rocky Mountains
Soooo, at my job I can use an epilog laser etching machine, and I was thinking about etching these extra unmarked vials with details so that months later, when I get around to them, I won't confuse them. I tested it on an empty vial and the glass doesn't even get hot. I guess I could just use a label maker to print some cheap labels, but this is cooler. I was wondering if anyone thinks that the brief exposure to intense light would hurt the lyophilized peptides within?
 
I wouldn't take that chance. Organics get hit hard by UV light. In essence, molecular bonds get broken, so what you end up with is not the same molecule you started with. Take sunburn as an illustration.

Given that, there's a strong chance the contents could be harmed, and proving no harm occurred would be difficult, so what's the point of taking the chance?
 
jjscientific said:

I wouldn't take that chance. Organics get hit hard by UV light. In essence, molecular bonds get broken, so what you end up with is not the same molecule you started with. Take sunburn as an illustration.

Given that, there's a strong chance the contents could be harmed, and proving no harm occurred would be difficult, so what's the point of taking the chance?
Yep, I ended up backing out of it. Still, part of me wanted someone to tell me, "nah, you're good."
 
Back
Top