KeepKey wallets for crypto swaps - any first-hand experience here?

shirasu893

Explorer
Joined
Jun 22, 2026
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Location
Richmond VA
I'm well aware KeepKey doesn't come close to the feature set of something like a Trezor or a Ledger. What draws me to it is one particular thing: from what I understand, the swap system built into KeepKey routes only through decentralised, non-custodial protocols, rather than the centralised exchanges that can demand KYC.

For something like BTC ==> ETH, SOL, USDT or USDC that strikes me as a real advantage. With certain wallet swap services, your coins can apparently end up sitting with a centralised third party while it decides whether it wants further KYC or proof of where the funds came from. At that point, if you would rather not hand over what it is asking for, you can be left waiting on that provider to release your money - or, depending on who it is and the circumstances, never see it again.

KeepKey looks to sidestep that risk, precisely because swaps go only through decentralised protocols. As far as I can tell, plenty of other hardware wallets, and nearly all software wallets, don't take that decentralised-only route.

And to head off the obvious question: I already hold BTC in my KeepKey from purchases made back before the KYC side of crypto turned into such a hassle. So there's no need for me to start at Coinbase or another KYC exchange just to get coin. What I'm really after is practical experience of turning some of that BTC into SOL, ETH, USDT or USDC while keeping centralised exchanges out of it.

So, anyone who has actually done swaps on KeepKey: is it genuinely as simple as it looks? Have you moved BTC ? ETH, BTC ? SOL, or BTC ? USDT/USDC across chains? What were the fees, how long did execution take, and how did it feel overall? Any snags or surprises?
 
Back
Top