ISRs only happening on the left side???

byefatlicia

Explorer
Joined
Jun 14, 2025
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Alright, so I've done at least 200 subq injections into my right side and have had hardly any ISRs. Yet whenever I inject on the left side, an ISR shows up. It's not severe, but it's noticeable enough.

Most of the time I steer clear of the left side, though now and then I'll give it another shot.

And... it's the exact same outcome every time...

Any ideas?
 
byefatlicia said:

Alright, so I've done at least 200 subq injections into my right side and have had hardly any ISRs. Yet whenever I inject on the left side, an ISR shows up. It's not severe, but it's noticeable enough.

Most of the time I steer clear of the left side, though now and then I'll give it another shot.

And... it's the exact same outcome every time...

Any ideas?
Wondering what ISR stands for?
 
Rickcaps said:

byefatlicia said:

Alright, so I've done at least 200 subq injections into my right side and have had hardly any ISRs. Yet whenever I inject on the left side, an ISR shows up. It's not severe, but it's noticeable enough.

Most of the time I steer clear of the left side, though now and then I'll give it another shot.

And... it's the exact same outcome every time...

Any ideas?
Wondering what ISR stands for?
Redness where it went in
 
byefatlicia said:

Rickcaps said:

byefatlicia said:

Alright, so I've done at least 200 subq injections into my right side and have had hardly any ISRs. Yet whenever I inject on the left side, an ISR shows up. It's not severe, but it's noticeable enough.

Most of the time I steer clear of the left side, though now and then I'll give it another shot.

And... it's the exact same outcome every time...

Any ideas?
Wondering what ISR stands for?
Redness where it went in

ChatGPT returned some intriguing findings.

Even when you use identical product and method, injection site reactions may show up on just 1 side of the body. Below are several explanations for why a reaction appears on one side and not the other:

1.#-1
  • Muscle density, fat distribution, or even blood flow can differ slightly between your left and right sides, and that may affect how your body responds to the shot.
  • When 1 side carries more muscle tissue or less fat, the substance may be absorbed differently, leading to greater irritation there.
2.#-2
  • A small difference in the injection angle between sides could produce more irritation on one side. Even minor technique variations—such as pushing the plunger too fast or too slow—may change how your body reacts.
3.#-3
  • At times, despite similar injection sites, 1 side can have a greater number of nerve endings, raising the chance of a reaction. In some instances, a slight difference in the underlying muscle or subcutaneous tissue may make a reaction more noticeable on one side.
4.#-4
  • If 1 side has received more frequent injections, scar tissue may be forming. That can cause more irritation or sensitivity at the injection site and trigger a reaction, whereas the other side may not yet have that tissue.
5.#-5
  • It is also possible that the needle or the substance itself has minor problems that irritate 1 particular side. A contaminated needle or a slight sterility issue with the product could result in localized irritation or inflammation.
6.#-6
  • For some people, the immune system or tissues respond differently depending on the site, and this may also stem from slight differences in vascularity, tissue response, or how the body "accepts" the injection.
7.#-7
  • If you inject into different spots on each side, variation in how the muscle or skin reacts could also play a role. Consistently rotating injection sites and avoiding repeated use of the same spot is always wise so the area has time to heal.
If the reaction is severe, with swelling, redness, heat, or any systemic symptoms such as fever, it is worth consulting with a healthcare professional. They may be able to provide insight specific to the medication you're using and offer suggestions for better injection technique.
 
That immune system angle is intriguing. I've got psoriatic arthritis myself. Could there be something happening specifically on my left side? hmmm...
 
Back
Top