Is slow pooping from delayed gastric emptying a problem?

CMA Pooky

Explorer
Joined
Nov 28, 2025
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Location
Asia
I came across an article about slow đź’© and it pointed to potential health consequences. Since GLPs slow gastric emptying, I wanted to hear what forum members make of this.

From the article:

"Slow transit times and constipation have been linked with metabolic and inflammatory disorders, as well as neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease."



e7a8659540522e8d907b3447e2e1bf3d871f2ad4b497effa469d57c946282148.jpg




Your Poop Schedule May Be Shaping Your Body From The Inside Out



How often you empty your bowels may reveal more about what lives inside your gut than you realize.

ce0a968f66e1a2e072f22f4ecb6d4bf62b819baa170123b522b7605d4fb8b53e.png



www.sciencealert.com
 
A whole range of conditions can lead to both reduced gastric emptying and every one of those other problems listed above. Take migraines — they'd match that pattern. Apologies if this is too much information, but whenever I get a migraine, gastroparesis sticks around for 2-3 days, and migraines have also been connected to Parkinson's and inflammatory disorders.

On top of that, eating poorly — lots of red meat, not much fiber — would likewise bring about slower gastric emptying along with all the other things you brought up. So ideally, what we're seeing is correlation rather than causation.
 
CMA Pooky said:

I came across an article about slow đź’© and it pointed to potential health consequences. Since GLPs slow gastric emptying, I wanted to hear what forum members make of this.

From the article:

"Slow transit times and constipation have been linked with metabolic and inflammatory disorders, as well as neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease."



View attachment 10585



Your Poop Schedule May Be Shaping Your Body From The Inside Out



How often you empty your bowels may reveal more about what lives inside your gut than you realize.

View attachment 10586


www.sciencealert.com
That tracks completely, and you won't get any argument from me. Which is exactly why I keep repeating to myself: “Fiber, water! Fiber, water! Fiber, water!” Nobody wants waste hanging around in there — that's no bueno.
 

Attachments

  • e7a8659540522e8d907b3447e2e1bf3d871f2ad4b497effa469d57c946282148.jpg
    e7a8659540522e8d907b3447e2e1bf3d871f2ad4b497effa469d57c946282148.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • ce0a968f66e1a2e072f22f4ecb6d4bf62b819baa170123b522b7605d4fb8b53e.png
    ce0a968f66e1a2e072f22f4ecb6d4bf62b819baa170123b522b7605d4fb8b53e.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 3
I've been adding more salads to my diet as part of losing weight. Things like cucumbers and tomatoes contain plenty of fiber and water, which support healthy digestion. Fiber supplements are another option I've tested — they do help, though for me a green salad works better.
 
To set the record straight on how food moves through the digestive tract: GLP-1s delay the stomach from emptying, yet for a greater number of individuals they actually accelerate motility in the intestines.
 
My view: delayed gastric emptying comes from other problems, illnesses, or syndromes.

GLP also brings about delayed gastric emptying.

But that doesn't mean GLP brings about those other problems, illnesses, or syndromes.

GLP brings about weight loss

Cancer brings about weight loss

Parasites bring about weight loss

GLP doesn't bring about cancer or parasites (broadly speaking).
 
Labcat said:

To set the record straight on how food moves through the digestive tract: GLP-1s delay the stomach from emptying, yet for a greater number of individuals they actually accelerate motility in the intestines.

True — that piece deals with how often someone has a bowel movement, not with gastric emptying. Those are separate things. That said, in SURMOUNT, constipation showed up just as often as diarrhea, particularly among those on lower doses.

Still, the article’s underlying point seems right to me. Being full of shit, whether in a metaphorical sense or a literal one, doesn’t strike me as a good situation.
 
Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.
 
CMA Pooky said:

I came across an article about slow đź’© and it pointed to potential health consequences. Since GLPs slow gastric emptying, I wanted to hear what forum members make of this.

From the article:

"Slow transit times and constipation have been linked with metabolic and inflammatory disorders, as well as neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease."



View attachment 10585



Your Poop Schedule May Be Shaping Your Body From The Inside Out



How often you empty your bowels may reveal more about what lives inside your gut than you realize.

View attachment 10586


www.sciencealert.com
The suggestion isn't that sluggish digestion brings about inflammation. What's being pointed out is just that these 2 things often show up side by side.
 

Attachments

  • e7a8659540522e8d907b3447e2e1bf3d871f2ad4b497effa469d57c946282148.jpg
    e7a8659540522e8d907b3447e2e1bf3d871f2ad4b497effa469d57c946282148.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ce0a968f66e1a2e072f22f4ecb6d4bf62b819baa170123b522b7605d4fb8b53e.png
    ce0a968f66e1a2e072f22f4ecb6d4bf62b819baa170123b522b7605d4fb8b53e.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
deleted.user.16 said:

derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.


https://www.amazon.com/Organic-India-Psyllium-Herbal-Powder/dp/B0016AXN7A?th=1


Getting it down isn't pleasant for everyone, but it works 100%.
thanks for suggesting that! Do you figure taking it in capsule form would cut down how much gets absorbed, or would that make no difference? If a capsule can hide the flavor, that's the way I'd prefer to take it
 
derekd419 said:

deleted.user.16 said:

derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.


https://www.amazon.com/Organic-India-Psyllium-Herbal-Powder/dp/B0016AXN7A?th=1


Getting it down isn't pleasant for everyone, but it works 100%.
thanks for suggesting that! Do you figure taking it in capsule form would cut down how much gets absorbed, or would that make no difference? If a capsule can hide the flavor, that's the way I'd prefer to take it
I'm not sure whether absorption would drop, but the cost would definitely be much higher. My intake is pretty large (roughly 2 tablespoons daily), which is why raw husks work better for me. If you don't already deal with digestive problems, you may not require that quantity, and capsules could suit you just fine.

The flavor is almost nonexistent; what puts most people off is the consistency. Once water goes in, it turns sort of....slimy/gummy? Some folks knock it back like a shot. I typically stir it into soup, a smoothie, or oatmeal, and it doesn't really bother me. Regardless of which form you choose, capsule or not, be sure to take in plenty of liquid alongside it.
 
derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.
For me, NOW psyllium husks do the trick nicely.


https://www.amazon.com/Supplements-Psyllium-Husk-Powder-12-Ounce/dp/B007729DSE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2EOCM9NU3N5PL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.FI0EAVUM5q2A4ttk-TBghNuxJlNuxVJoMdtICSpZfMaOq-MjOGbTgI9siHCMiI3Ep0Fb6ATqawNUojtLpZuyPaCb9wtYz6aC4-gJoKbjmnZmv82NSRWgVdrPIaaX1PY2-Ckao9ZsJ-UCIc6m3OjKwq6NR0XJ6bDStjiThDl7dpSBjKO_BSodzeBknZSis7lcs3x96UEZYYoqtrLP8qeMyw.KMC_-n3JN5fbm9Z1bgxtGPvTu5vs0WmWvm18goQIpW0&dib_tag=se&keywords=now+psyllium+husk+powder&qid=1776742455&sprefix=%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-4


It's probably identical to the other brand you were told about, just a bit cheaper. Chia seeds from Costco also go into my smoothie every day, for fiber and healthy fats. Carb smart tortillas or breads are my third fiber source, since they tend to come with added fiber.
 
Ragnar said:

derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.
For me, NOW psyllium husks do the trick nicely.


https://www.amazon.com/Supplements-Psyllium-Husk-Powder-12-Ounce/dp/B007729DSE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2EOCM9NU3N5PL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.FI0EAVUM5q2A4ttk-TBghNuxJlNuxVJoMdtICSpZfMaOq-MjOGbTgI9siHCMiI3Ep0Fb6ATqawNUojtLpZuyPaCb9wtYz6aC4-gJoKbjmnZmv82NSRWgVdrPIaaX1PY2-Ckao9ZsJ-UCIc6m3OjKwq6NR0XJ6bDStjiThDl7dpSBjKO_BSodzeBknZSis7lcs3x96UEZYYoqtrLP8qeMyw.KMC_-n3JN5fbm9Z1bgxtGPvTu5vs0WmWvm18goQIpW0&dib_tag=se&keywords=now+psyllium+husk+powder&qid=1776742455&sprefix=%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-4


It's probably identical to the other brand you were told about, just a bit cheaper. Chia seeds from Costco also go into my smoothie every day, for fiber and healthy fats. Carb smart tortillas or breads are my third fiber source, since they tend to come with added fiber.
I've been on that same brand for roughly 12 months now. As long as I don't forget to take it, it gets the job done.
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

CMA Pooky said:

I came across an article about slow đź’© and it pointed to potential health consequences. Since GLPs slow gastric emptying, I wanted to hear what forum members make of this.

From the article:

"Slow transit times and constipation have been linked with metabolic and inflammatory disorders, as well as neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease."



View attachment 10585



Your Poop Schedule May Be Shaping Your Body From The Inside Out



How often you empty your bowels may reveal more about what lives inside your gut than you realize.

View attachment 10586


www.sciencealert.com
That tracks completely, and you won't get any argument from me. Which is exactly why I keep repeating to myself: “Fiber, water! Fiber, water! Fiber, water!” Nobody wants waste hanging around in there — that's no bueno.
That's exactly what I was going to say.

Every day I get around 30g of fibre, and my water intake is so high that it feels like I'm running to the bathroom to pee for half the day 🤣
 
With lingering ulcerative colitis symptoms during "remission" or IBS-D, I welcomed how GLP's slow down gut transit—it clearly cut down the D aspect of IBS.
 
derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.
Since I live in Australia, getting this through that particular company isn't straightforward. What I do use is Bulk Nutrients Tri-Fibre+.



4048e6a672441d36c4ad5cc646ea405e36c7595f3861d17ba1f4f8525685443a.jpg




All You Need To Know About Tri Fibre+



Tri Fibre+ may not be our most exciting product release, but it’s a very beneficial supplement that you may want to consider adding to your stack. Want to know more about our Tri Fibre+ and how it can benefit your diet and aesthetic results? Then read on!

Image unavailable


www.bulknutrients.com.au

I stir it into my electrolyte supp, and it does help keep things moving. If a similar option is available at supplement shops near you, I'd recommend giving it a try.
 
garlicbread said:

derekd419 said:

Does anyone have a reliable method for taking in a big daily fiber dose without eating tons of high-fiber foods? Every supplement I've come across only provides tiny fiber quantities.
Since I live in Australia, getting this through that particular company isn't straightforward. What I do use is Bulk Nutrients Tri-Fibre+.



View attachment 10591



All You Need To Know About Tri Fibre+



Tri Fibre+ may not be our most exciting product release, but it’s a very beneficial supplement that you may want to consider adding to your stack. Want to know more about our Tri Fibre+ and how it can benefit your diet and aesthetic results? Then read on!

Image unavailable


www.bulknutrients.com.au

I stir it into my electrolyte supp, and it does help keep things moving. If a similar option is available at supplement shops near you, I'd recommend giving it a try.
That's a solid suggestion—asking at the local supplement shop. Tomorrow after the gym I'll swing by and see what options they've got. Appreciate it!
 

Attachments

  • 4048e6a672441d36c4ad5cc646ea405e36c7595f3861d17ba1f4f8525685443a.jpg
    4048e6a672441d36c4ad5cc646ea405e36c7595f3861d17ba1f4f8525685443a.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top