Grogu said:
Cypress said:
I began tirz a few months back and have increased the dose at a very gradual pace. Weight has come off, and I'm roughly halfway to my target. One reason I prefer a slower loss is to avoid people asking "what are you on". I keep my medication private. The other reason for going slow was loose skin, though I did just start klow. So here's my question: it seems like everyone tries to lose as fast as they can—what benefit does that give? Would I be better off switching up my approach? To me this is a marathon, not a sprint, since I expect to stay on this med for life.
If you've already dropped 1/2 of the weight you wanted to lose after just a few months, that suggests your starting excess wasn't huge. That context matters, because other readers of this thread may be at the very beginning with far more to lose.
You're asking for the opposite perspective on the slow-and-steady approach, so here it is: for those carrying a lot of excess weight (which, again, may not describe you), there seems to be a limited "window of opportunity" — roughly 12 to 16 months — before glp-1 driven weight loss typically decelerates and stalls. Changing drugs or stacking could potentially overcome that plateau, though that's a whole other topic.
Given that window, low and slow may not be the optimal plan for someone with morbid obesity. Since the tirzepatide trials, the medical field seems to have updated its thinking on titration: if a patient keeps losing and has solid appetite suppression, there's no reason to go up in dose. On the other hand, if someone isn't losing or is battling food noise while handling their current dose well, increasing the dose is logical.
What worries me for people with a lot of weight to lose is that they might buy into the idea that low and slow is "better" and "less cheating," and in doing so miss out on the treatment's full potential — ending up short of the goals they could have hit with a more aggressive titration schedule, assuming they could tolerate it.