Is a Generic Tirzepatide Closer Than Anyone Expects?

The Zepbound and Mounjaro patents on tirzepatide



  • Composition of Matter Patent (US 9,474,780): The patent that matters most here covers tirzepatide's exact molecular structure and its dual-agonist design. Structural tweaks are crucial (adding aminoisobutyric acid, plus a C20 fatty acid chain) and they are what let the drug bind to GIP and GLP-1 receptors both, and stay active for a week in the body. January 2036 is when this primary patent runs out. [1, 2]
  • Formulation & Manufacturing Patents: Eli Lilly and Company also holds secondary patents covering the drug's stability, how it is delivered, and its injection solutions — and those can stretch protection out as far as June 2039. [1, 2]
  • Regulatory Exclusivity: Tirzepatide carries a New Chemical Entity (NCE) designation, which brings a statutory window of FDA exclusivity: normally no rival maker can get an identical active ingredient approved before 2027. [1]
 
professorpeppy said:

someone school me here.. if tirz is under patent, how on earth are we able to buy grey??

apologies if that's a daft question
There is one, yes. My post above covers it.
 
BigJDog said:

professorpeppy said:

Enyola said:

A patent only gets granted if the crucial details all sit in the application paperwork.

So the odd upshot is that the patent ends up helping the illegal manufacturers.
right, i had no idea, patent law isn't really my area. cheers!
I know, right! Here's the precise recipe and process we use to produce something….just don't copy us! Patents only cover individual countries tho, so nothing stops a different country going ahead with it. I keep trying to explain to my wife that Reta lacking fda approval has far more to do with $$ than with safety
Not quite.

Our legal team walked through exactly this when we looked at patenting a recent invention, and a number of the patents we turned up had been granted globally.
 
Enyola said:

A patent only gets granted if the crucial details all sit in the application paperwork.

So the odd upshot is that the patent ends up helping the illegal manufacturers.
That's exactly where the name comes from. The word means obvious. Unlike trade secrets, which need no protection at all.
 
A globally granted patent amounts to precisely nothing to any individual, company or nation that has no interest whatsoever in ip law 🤷

I certainly pulled music off limewire, and films off popcorn time-"legal" or at least tolerated in Belgium and the NL while I was living there, and definitely not fine once I moved back to the US, and these days I purchase illicit Chinese peptides.

Oh, man! Nearly forgot! I also used to buy black market Russian "Marlboros" too.

We are rebels.
 
ladyj779 said:

A globally granted patent amounts to precisely nothing to any individual, company or nation that has no interest whatsoever in ip law 🤷

I certainly pulled music off limewire, and films off popcorn time-"legal" or at least tolerated in Belgium and the NL while I was living there, and definitely not fine once I moved back to the US, and these days I purchase illicit Chinese peptides.

Oh, man! Nearly forgot! I also used to buy black market Russian "Marlboros" too.

We are rebels.
Good for you.

Mind you, if we tried the same, the rival companies would sue the living hell out of us.
 
lastresort said:

BigJDog said:

professorpeppy said:

Enyola said:

A patent only gets granted if the crucial details all sit in the application paperwork.

So the odd upshot is that the patent ends up helping the illegal manufacturers.
right, i had no idea, patent law isn't really my area. cheers!
I know, right! Here's the precise recipe and process we use to produce something….just don't copy us! Patents only cover individual countries tho, so nothing stops a different country going ahead with it. I keep trying to explain to my wife that Reta lacking fda approval has far more to do with $$ than with safety
Not quite.

Our legal team walked through exactly this when we looked at patenting a recent invention, and a number of the patents we turned up had been granted globally.
Go on then, name a single one
 
BigJDog said:

lastresort said:

BigJDog said:

professorpeppy said:

Enyola said:

A patent only gets granted if the crucial details all sit in the application paperwork.

So the odd upshot is that the patent ends up helping the illegal manufacturers.
right, i had no idea, patent law isn't really my area. cheers!
I know, right! Here's the precise recipe and process we use to produce something….just don't copy us! Patents only cover individual countries tho, so nothing stops a different country going ahead with it. I keep trying to explain to my wife that Reta lacking fda approval has far more to do with $$ than with safety
Not quite.

Our legal team walked through exactly this when we looked at patenting a recent invention, and a number of the patents we turned up had been granted globally.
Go on then, name a single one
I'd rather not dox myself
 
Back
Top