INTRO Meet the old, washed-up powerlifter

LastHopeBay

Explorer
Joined
Aug 27, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
CA, USA
Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!
 
Great! Best of luck.

But why Semaglutide, though? I mean, isn't it generally accepted these days that Tirzepatide is better for most people?
 
The doctor put her on it because her blood sugar was high. I went with Tirzepatide for myself, and now I'm working on getting her to do the same alongside me! A bit amusing, since my wife stays at home and has no problem shelling out 350$ every month because insurance won't pay, while I keep pointing out that it comes to $4200 after taxes, meaning nearly $7,000 of what I earn will vanish! I'm making myself consume a lot of protein and I feel fantastic! Strictly speaking, that's no different from what it was before.
 
LastHopeBay said:

Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!

LastHopeBay said:

Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!
Shedding pounds is often a brutal fight. Insulin resistance plays a big role in that. Both my daughter and I deal with it. We gave it everything and tried every approach, yet the scale hardly budged. If someone claims the answer is simply exercising more and eating less, they have clearly never felt the frustration of a person who already did all of that and still could not drop weight. Certain people, ourselves included, are simply metabolically challenged.

I came across a clinic that would prescribe Tirzepatide, so I began at 1mg / week. The results were excellent. A few months down the road I heard about Reta, taught myself how to reconstitute it, and started at 1mg / week, then gradually increased to 2mg per week across several months. The weight came off with ease, almost without me noticing. Since I train 5 days a week, I kept all my muscle. After I felt confident enough in it, I allowed my daughter to give it a try. It transformed her life. She used to despise herself and her body, despite exercising nonstop and eating properly. Across the last 8 months, she went from a size 12 down to a size 4, and she is now the happiest, most self-assured young woman I always believed she could become. It's great that you're beginning this path alongside your wife. You will probably need to stay on GLP's for life, but it's only 1 shot per week. Your bloodwork will most likely get much better, and you'll most likely drop weight and feel good. I've taken it for a year with no side effects at all, only positive results.
 
Pep Enthusiast said:

LastHopeBay said:

Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!

LastHopeBay said:

Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!
Shedding pounds is often a brutal fight. Insulin resistance plays a big role in that. Both my daughter and I deal with it. We gave it everything and tried every approach, yet the scale hardly budged. If someone claims the answer is simply exercising more and eating less, they have clearly never felt the frustration of a person who already did all of that and still could not drop weight. Certain people, ourselves included, are simply metabolically challenged.

I came across a clinic that would prescribe Tirzepatide, so I began at 1mg / week. The results were excellent. A few months down the road I heard about Reta, taught myself how to reconstitute it, and started at 1mg / week, then gradually increased to 2mg per week across several months. The weight came off with ease, almost without me noticing. Since I train 5 days a week, I kept all my muscle. After I felt confident enough in it, I allowed my daughter to give it a try. It transformed her life. She used to despise herself and her body, despite exercising nonstop and eating properly. Across the last 8 months, she went from a size 12 down to a size 4, and she is now the happiest, most self-assured young woman I always believed she could become. It's great that you're beginning this path alongside your wife. You will probably need to stay on GLP's for life, but it's only 1 shot per week. Your bloodwork will most likely get much better, and you'll most likely drop weight and feel good. I've taken it for a year with no side effects at all, only positive results.
Appreciate it!
 
My story has a fair bit in common with yours. Lifting has been part of my life since 8th grade. Back in high school I won a national power lifting championship. I kept training in college and afterward, though never at that level of seriousness. I never competed again. A back injury hit me in my late 20s. That added roughly 20lbs. Then Covid brought another 20lbs. A torn bicep brought yet another 20lbs.

For 2.5 yrs now I have been taking some form of GLP1. My weight is nearly back to what it was in college, with 10lbs left to lose. The tradeoff, though, is that I shed a fair amount of muscle and, even more significant, strength.

Were I to go through it all over again, strength training would have gotten more of my attention and cardio less. Oh well.
 
trz2001 said:

My story has a fair bit in common with yours. Lifting has been part of my life since 8th grade. Back in high school I won a national power lifting championship. I kept training in college and afterward, though never at that level of seriousness. I never competed again. A back injury hit me in my late 20s. That added roughly 20lbs. Then Covid brought another 20lbs. A torn bicep brought yet another 20lbs.

For 2.5 yrs now I have been taking some form of GLP1. My weight is nearly back to what it was in college, with 10lbs left to lose. The tradeoff, though, is that I shed a fair amount of muscle and, even more significant, strength.

Were I to go through it all over again, strength training would have gotten more of my attention and cardio less. Oh well.
There's a classic powerlifting gag I stick to:

  • So what's your fitness routine?
  • I lift weights!
  • And how do you handle cardio?
  • I lift weights faster!
 
LastHopeBay said:

Hi everyone! 10 days into this journey, and I'm happy I came across such a great forum!

In the end, our family physician got my wife to give Wegovy a try, beginning at 0.25 mg. So now, for the first time in the almost 40 years we've been married, the two of us are working on weight loss side by side—rather than me being undermined by her amazing cooking and baking! 😂

I've been lifting seriously from 8th grade onward—first shot put, later powerlifting. Then the motherland fell apart, and we came to America during the dot-com boom.

After all those years of working, waiting for the green card, becoming a citizen, raising kids, and getting them through college, I somehow went from a lean 240 lb to a still-very-strong-but-now-315-lb version of myself.

Every 2–3 years, I could cut down to around 270 lb, but my strength dropped and I was generally unhappy, so the weight always crept back.

I'm still a staff software engineer, but dropping weight has become far harder once you're old enough to start thinking about Social Security benefits. 😄

I also came across some website that sells research compounds, bought my first vial, and figured out how to reconstitute it. I began browsing Reddit for whatever information was out there and in the end found this great site!
Glad to have you here — your history with lifting and the broader battle with weight sounds a lot like mine. Take some time to browse; there’s plenty of useful material on this site.
 
Back
Top