INTRO Curious about sterile water vs BAC

Posting from Europe. Depending on which peptide I'm reconstituting, I go with sterile water or NaCl. Over here in the EU/GER, BAC isn't really a common thing.
 
In the US, what real benefit would sterile water offer compared to BAC?

Hospira costs a dime or two daily.
 
Hgo904 said:

Posting from Europe. Depending on which peptide I'm reconstituting, I go with sterile water or NaCl. Over here in the EU/GER, BAC isn't really a common thing.
I came across something saying the EU hasn't given BAC the green light, and infant fatalities were the reason. On top of that, I've seen claims that sterile water won't break down peptides and avoids reconstitution problems such as gelling. I suppose we should get more input from folks in Europe. Thanks
 
Beansnapper said:

Hgo904 said:

Posting from Europe. Depending on which peptide I'm reconstituting, I go with sterile water or NaCl. Over here in the EU/GER, BAC isn't really a common thing.
I came across something saying the EU hasn't given BAC the green light, and infant fatalities were the reason. On top of that, I've seen claims that sterile water won't break down peptides and avoids reconstitution problems such as gelling. I suppose we should get more input from folks in Europe. Thanks
Deaths among infants? Could you explain that further? Is there any impact on a foetus?
 
woundcarping said:

In the US, what real benefit would sterile water offer compared to BAC?

Hospira costs a dime or two daily.
From what I'm hearing, it irritates the injection site more, breaks peptides down, and can lead to reconstitution problems such as gelling. Perhaps the more important thing to ask is: what does BAC offer that sterile water doesn't? If contamination doesn't seem to be a problem, what's the reason to go with BAC?

kazza94x said:

Beansnapper said:

Hgo904 said:

Posting from Europe. Depending on which peptide I'm reconstituting, I go with sterile water or NaCl. Over here in the EU/GER, BAC isn't really a common thing.
I came across something saying the EU hasn't given BAC the green light, and infant fatalities were the reason. On top of that, I've seen claims that sterile water won't break down peptides and avoids reconstitution problems such as gelling. I suppose we should get more input from folks in Europe. Thanks
Deaths among infants? Could you explain that further? Is there any impact on a foetus?

AI Summary

european infant deaths from bacteriostatic water

Bacteriostatic water contains benzyl alcohol, and in infants it has been connected to severe adverse effects, especially in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) across Europe. During the 1980s, a group of newborn deaths was linked to high benzyl alcohol exposure from flushing IV lines, which resulted in metabolic acidosis and other complications.




Neonatal Deaths Associated With Use Of Benzyl Alcohol -- United States


kazza94x said:

Beansnapper said:

Interesting clip, I'm on board with the thinking.

View: https://youtu.be/r5C93GqXTUo?si=RumGhI-PGzD7wi6P
Beyond that, if there's no bacteria-inhibiting component in it, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable relying on it as a multi-dose vial.
That's exactly why I raised the question. It doesn't look like Europeans are running into a problem with it, so I'm open to considering it. Being concerned is fine, but you shouldn't let it cloud your judgment.
 
Beansnapper said:

woundcarping said:

In the US, what real benefit would sterile water offer compared to BAC?

Hospira costs a dime or two daily.
From what I'm hearing, it irritates the injection site more, breaks peptides down, and can lead to reconstitution problems such as gelling. Perhaps the more important thing to ask is: what does BAC offer that sterile water doesn't? If contamination doesn't seem to be a problem, what's the reason to go with BAC?

kazza94x said:

Beansnapper said:

Hgo904 said:

Posting from Europe. Depending on which peptide I'm reconstituting, I go with sterile water or NaCl. Over here in the EU/GER, BAC isn't really a common thing.
I came across something saying the EU hasn't given BAC the green light, and infant fatalities were the reason. On top of that, I've seen claims that sterile water won't break down peptides and avoids reconstitution problems such as gelling. I suppose we should get more input from folks in Europe. Thanks
Deaths among infants? Could you explain that further? Is there any impact on a foetus?

AI Summary

european infant deaths from bacteriostatic water

Bacteriostatic water contains benzyl alcohol, and in infants it has been connected to severe adverse effects, especially in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) across Europe. During the 1980s, a group of newborn deaths was linked to high benzyl alcohol exposure from flushing IV lines, which resulted in metabolic acidosis and other complications.




Neonatal Deaths Associated With Use Of Benzyl Alcohol -- United States


kazza94x said:

Beansnapper said:

Interesting clip, I'm on board with the thinking.

View: https://youtu.be/r5C93GqXTUo?si=RumGhI-PGzD7wi6P
Beyond that, if there's no bacteria-inhibiting component in it, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable relying on it as a multi-dose vial.
That's exactly why I raised the question. It doesn't look like Europeans are running into a problem with it, so I'm open to considering it. Being concerned is fine, but you shouldn't let it cloud your judgment.
Wow, that sounds terrible. Next year I might need to consider other options.

My worry comes from a clinical perspective, but I won't be sharing that here any longer. I'm not confused—just curious about what these findings show.
 
Back
Top