Intestinal permeability and fatigue improvements

Hotlongs

Explorer
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon
According to the NIH paper PMC12907148 (I can't share links because of posting limits)

After giving Innovall FD — a probiotic that includes b. coagulans MY01 plus b. subtilis MY02 — 2x per day for 3 months, gains were observed in intestinal permeability and fatigue. When only probiotics were used, the patient's intestinal permeability and fatigue both returned. Then medicinal clay was given (luvos-heilerde imutox, 3 x 900mg capsules per day) alongside another course of probiotics, and this produced a stabilised reduction in intestinal permeability and fatigue at 6 months. Clay treatment was halted at 4 months so that potential malabsorption could be avoided.

In place of innovall fd, I'm using two separate single strain probiotics (2x per day of each), and instead of imutox medicinal clay I'm using food grade sodium bentonite in enteric capsules (3x per day).

That said, the goal here is specifically intestinal permeability. These bacteria act synergistically and have been demonstrated to boost tight junction protein production and strengthen intestinal barrier integrity. Regular antibiotic use is unquestionably wiping out your microbiome. I came across one study indicating that b. coagulans and subtilis may support gut barrier function and lower pro-inflammatory cytokines when antibiotics are used regularly

so this could offset part of the harm. Still, two strains won't be enough on their own to bring you back from gut dysbiosis.

On top of this protocol, I am trialing oral BPC.
 
This is only a case study, so it falls far short of proof that it works, apart from that single case. When it comes to treating chronic gut issues, the difficulty is that a huge number of treatments may help certain people at certain times, yet only a small number are dependable or consistent, or backed by genuinely strong scientific evidence.

I have gone through roughly a dozen different probiotics and supplements trying to find something beneficial. Ultimately, losing a substantial amount of weight, reducing overall food intake, and generally following a low fodmap diet appear to have produced the greatest change. The trouble is IBS-D, layered on top of lingering symptoms from ulcerative colitis in "remission", a state in which about 40% of people continue to experience gut pain and fatigue even though clinical remission has been achieved.
 
lessthanhalf said:

This is only a case study, so it falls far short of proof that it works, apart from that single case. When it comes to treating chronic gut issues, the difficulty is that a huge number of treatments may help certain people at certain times, yet only a small number are dependable or consistent, or backed by genuinely strong scientific evidence.

I have gone through roughly a dozen different probiotics and supplements trying to find something beneficial. Ultimately, losing a substantial amount of weight, reducing overall food intake, and generally following a low fodmap diet appear to have produced the greatest change. The trouble is IBS-D, layered on top of lingering symptoms from ulcerative colitis in "remission", a state in which about 40% of people continue to experience gut pain and fatigue even though clinical remission has been achieved.
Because it consists of probiotics plus food-grade clay, I don't have concerns that it will turn out to be a waste. My experiment cost $45 in total.

There's B1 deficiency research you may want to look into; it makes a much stronger case connecting thiamine deficiency — brought on by the missing magnesium cofactor in the standard American diet — to IBS and other gut conditions.



Díaz-Muñoz C, Bozzarelli I, Lopera-Maya EA, et al



Genetic dissection of stool frequency implicates vitamin B1 metabolism and other actionable pathways in the modulation of gut motility



Gut Published Online First: 20 January 2026. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2025-337059

Once more, I can't link because of restrictions....
 
Source: PMC8472462

Fatigue tied to long covid dropped in this clinical trial after only 14 days on the products ImmunoSEB + ProbioSEB CSC3.

ProbioSEB CSC3 is a blend: Bacillus coagulans LBSC (DSM 17654), Bacillus subtilis PLSSC (ATCC SD 7280), Bacillus clausii 088AE (MCC 053). ImmunoSEB is a blend of enzymes, proteins and antioxidants: (bromelain, serrapeptase, lysozyme, amylase, glucoamylase, peptidase, papain, catalase, lactoferrin)

dosing went like this:ImmunoSEB: two capsules morning and two in the evening on an empty stomach (1 hour before eating or 2 hours after) alongside 1–2 cups of warm or room temperature waterProbioSEB CSC3: two capsules a day with lunch

4bb9ff3dfeb483c141d337dc111e5fbbab6775e254d7283cf717a81c70e869e3.webp
 
That study is intriguing, yet the findings deviate so drastically from what one would anticipate that accepting them is difficult for me. When a basic intervention lowers post-covid fatigue by 90% compared with 15% for placebo within 2 weeks, that is essentially the kind of thing that belongs on the front page. No prior treatment has come anywhere close to producing an effect of that magnitude. Consequently, what is being asserted is extraordinary, and extraordinary evidence is needed for such assertions. After I gave chatgpt a highly detailed prompt and asked it to be skeptical, it agreed that legitimate criticisms of the study could be raised. Should any researcher regard this outcome as having even a slim possibility of being genuine, there are surely individuals already attempting to reproduce it right now, and if reproduction occurs I might accept it—but sadly, that probably will not happen.
 
lessthanhalf said:

That study is intriguing, yet the findings deviate so drastically from what one would anticipate that accepting them is difficult for me. When a basic intervention lowers post-covid fatigue by 90% compared with 15% for placebo within 2 weeks, that is essentially the kind of thing that belongs on the front page. No prior treatment has come anywhere close to producing an effect of that magnitude. Consequently, what is being asserted is extraordinary, and extraordinary evidence is needed for such assertions. After I gave chatgpt a highly detailed prompt and asked it to be skeptical, it agreed that legitimate criticisms of the study could be raised. Should any researcher regard this outcome as having even a slim possibility of being genuine, there are surely individuals already attempting to reproduce it right now, and if reproduction occurs I might accept it—but sadly, that probably will not happen.
I have not made any claims. What I am doing is sharing the studies and cases that have been published, and testing one on myself. If that came across differently, I apologize. I am just trying one on myself.
 
If only the probiotic studies published the blends and biomes they used, since plenty of people chasing relief will buy some probiotic assuming it is the same thing.
 
Hotlongs said:

lessthanhalf said:

That study is intriguing, yet the findings deviate so drastically from what one would anticipate that accepting them is difficult for me. When a basic intervention lowers post-covid fatigue by 90% compared with 15% for placebo within 2 weeks, that is essentially the kind of thing that belongs on the front page. No prior treatment has come anywhere close to producing an effect of that magnitude. Consequently, what is being asserted is extraordinary, and extraordinary evidence is needed for such assertions. After I gave chatgpt a highly detailed prompt and asked it to be skeptical, it agreed that legitimate criticisms of the study could be raised. Should any researcher regard this outcome as having even a slim possibility of being genuine, there are surely individuals already attempting to reproduce it right now, and if reproduction occurs I might accept it—but sadly, that probably will not happen.
I have not made any claims. What I am doing is sharing the studies and cases that have been published, and testing one on myself. If that came across differently, I apologize. I am just trying one on myself.
The people behind the study are the ones who put forward these extraordinary claims — that responsibility doesn't fall on you.
 
My issue with the study wasn't aimed at the person who shared it — I just found the findings hard to believe. I'd be glad to see it pan out, and if solving this turned out to be that simple, that would be fantastic. Still, with post-viral fatigue having such a lengthy track record and no therapies that work, I'm not convinced.
 
What's the length of time you've been trying this out, and how has it played out for you personally?

Like everyone else, I think those findings look almost unbelievable (which makes me doubt the study), though I'm always up for hearing what others have gone through.
 
tubby said:

What's the length of time you've been trying this out, and how has it played out for you personally?

Like everyone else, I think those findings look almost unbelievable (which makes me doubt the study), though I'm always up for hearing what others have gone through.
Right after catching covid a 2nd time, keeping food down became impossible for me. Gastropaeresis set in, along with digestive pain. A biopsy / colonoscopy was done and nothing noteworthy showed up.

Over the last 18 months, my stool has been chronically loose, and I've dealt with IBS like symptoms, odd food allergies, nausea, bloating, and now and then acid reflux.

Up to now, the only things that ever helped my digestive issues were H1 and H2 antihistamines, apart from odansteron when nausea hit.

I gave VSL#3 a try, getting it from Costco's pharmacy, but it didn't work for me.

Currently my bloating is reduced, acid reflux is gone, and my overall well-being feels better, though that part is subjective. No boost in energy levels has shown up yet, and whether I'm digesting food differently is still unknown to me. For once, my stool is solid.

Broadening my overall diet is something I haven't tried yet. Fish, eggs, steak, and soups make up most of what I eat.
 
Back
Top