Injection Site Fat Accumulation?

Don

Explorer
Joined
Apr 30, 2026
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Location
Europe
Hey everyone,

Lately I've spotted that the area where I inject most frequently (though I do switch spots) has gotten somewhat thicker. It feels as though fat has accumulated there, and after researching, it sounds like it might be lipohypertrophy. Based on what I've come across, this can impact absorption and suggests steering clear of that spot for a bit

I'm wondering how many of u have dealt with this and how it progressed over time. Did it resolve once u quit injecting there? Did it change how effective the medication was for u?

Just to give context, it began at the location of my initial injection, roughly 3–4 cm to the right of my belly button
 
I have type 2 diabetes, which means I take 4 injections daily. If you keep using the same spots without rotating, scar tissue will indeed develop. Let that area recover for about a month, and it ought to return to its usual state.
 
The lumps I've dealt with have generally been firm rather than soft. Switching to finer, shorter needles—32G, 4mm—resolved the issue for me. Keeping at least 5 cm away from the navel is advisable. My injections now go into the love handles, farther out on the abdomen. I've stopped using my thighs; there isn't enough fat there, so bruising is hard to prevent.
 
Don said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I've spotted that the area where I inject most frequently (though I do switch spots) has gotten somewhat thicker. It feels as though fat has accumulated there, and after researching, it sounds like it might be lipohypertrophy. Based on what I've come across, this can impact absorption and suggests steering clear of that spot for a bit

I'm wondering how many of u have dealt with this and how it progressed over time. Did it resolve once u quit injecting there? Did it change how effective the medication was for u?

Just to give context, it began at the location of my initial injection, roughly 3–4 cm to the right of my belly button
Perhaps consider steering clear of the belly area and using the thigh or buttocks for injections instead
 
Don said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I've spotted that the area where I inject most frequently (though I do switch spots) has gotten somewhat thicker. It feels as though fat has accumulated there, and after researching, it sounds like it might be lipohypertrophy. Based on what I've come across, this can impact absorption and suggests steering clear of that spot for a bit

I'm wondering how many of u have dealt with this and how it progressed over time. Did it resolve once u quit injecting there? Did it change how effective the medication was for u?

Just to give context, it began at the location of my initial injection, roughly 3–4 cm to the right of my belly button
2 months ago, the exact same spot, except on the left. Right after injecting, I felt it swell up. A month later it was still present, had gotten harder, and resembled a pimple. In the end it healed once I squeezed the fat out. The hardness is gone now. A small scar remains, though.

The medication still worked as it should.
 
Back
Top