Increased water intake while on Retatrutide

Cut2alpha

Explorer
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
D.C.
Hey everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that Retatrutide makes them want to drink a lot more water? For me, I seem to need about 20-30% extra water each day. My throat tends to feel dry more frequently. Anyone else dealing with this? What I've been doing is 1. drinking more water (shocker) and 2. coconut water
 
Cut2alpha said:

Hey everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that Retatrutide makes them want to drink a lot more water? For me, I seem to need about 20-30% extra water each day. My throat tends to feel dry more frequently. Anyone else dealing with this? What I've been doing is 1. drinking more water (shocker) and 2. coconut water
While on Reta, it's something you have to do.
 
My guess is that your water isn't carrying enough electrolytes. That worries me a little, because reta lowers thirst cues the same way it lowers hunger cues. In my case, my water intake has actually gone down compared with before, and I frequently have to remind myself to take a drink, or deliberately spend time drinking more just to be safe.

That said, ever since I started having salt water in the morning, I've stuck with it. Back when I was hooked on stimulant drugs, I noticed that drinking more never helped — my thirst stayed unquenched — and whatever I drank came straight back out as urine almost right away. Once I began adding salt to my water, hydrating stopped being an issue. Your pee should not be clear!

See this post of mine for more details:

Post in thread 'Dosing schedule' /community-link/thread/15828/
 
Yeah, staying hydrated has always been a struggle for me. On reta, it's become an even bigger issue. As my dose has gone up, the problem has gotten more pronounced.
 
With Retatrutide—a GLP-1 receptor agonist that also acts on GIP and glucagon—staying hydrated takes on extra importance, and there are a few reasons why.

Why your fluid needs go up

Gastric emptying is slowed by the medication, and both hunger and thirst signals are blunted considerably. The trouble is that hours can pass before you notice you've had nothing to drink. Because the thirst cue is weaker, relying on how you feel doesn't work—you need a schedule instead.

On top of that, GI side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation) show up often, particularly after a dose increase, and each one drains fluids and electrolytes. Since dehydration makes those very symptoms worse, you end up in a loop that feeds itself.

What can go wrong if you don't keep up

Kidney damage is the most serious concern. Cases of acute kidney injury have occurred in patients on GLP-1 receptor agonists, specifically because dehydration followed vomiting or diarrhea. Severe constipation is another frequent issue (digestion is already sluggish, and a lack of water makes it much worse), along with headaches, fatigue, dizziness when standing, and muscle cramps.

A common target is about 2–3 liters daily, though you should raise that if it's hot out, if you're exercising, or if digestive symptoms are present. A few practical pointers:

Drink on a regular schedule (hourly, for instance) rather than waiting for thirst.

Begin the day with a big glass before consuming anything else.

When nauseous, sip small amounts frequently instead of downing full glasses, and try water with a squeeze of lemon or a mild ginger infusion.

During vomiting or diarrhea, add electrolytes (oral rehydration solution, lower-sugar options such as Aquarius, or rehydration salts from a pharmacy).

Go easy on alcohol and heavy coffee intake, since both pull more water out of you.

Contact your doctor—don't just drink more—if urine is very dark or scarce, or if you have severe dizziness, confusion, palpitations, or go several hours without urinating.
 
Cut2alpha said:

Hey everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that Retatrutide makes them want to drink a lot more water? For me, I seem to need about 20-30% extra water each day. My throat tends to feel dry more frequently. Anyone else dealing with this? What I've been doing is 1. drinking more water (shocker) and 2. coconut water
Yes, absolutely—but I overdid it and ended up washing out the nutrients I needed. My past 2 blood tests showed low sodium and chloride, plus I was dehydrated. Right now I take 1 stick of Liquid IV and mix it into 2 Gatorade bottles, then drink that over the course of a day. I thought all that extra water was helping flush my system while I was dieting. Turns out it was the exact opposite.

Cliffs: Don't drink too much water.
 
Staying hydrated is beneficial. Consider turning 1 of the waters you drink each day into an electrolyte beverage — personally, I use a powdered juice mix that I enjoy, and as an added perk, it makes the water taste better.
 
One thing that has made a big difference for me is keeping a repeating timer going throughout the day, maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. If you have an Apple Watch, open the timer app, set it to something like 5 minutes, and each time it rings, restart it and take a sip.
 
ambot88 said:

Staying hydrated is beneficial. Consider turning 1 of the waters you drink each day into an electrolyte beverage — personally, I use a powdered juice mix that I enjoy, and as an added perk, it makes the water taste better.
Yes, that's exactly my routine. At least 15 oz of coconut water, plus a very clean Whole Foods diet, usually takes care of the remaining electrolytes.
 
Yep, dehydration-related side effects began showing up for me, so I began taking electrolytes twice instead of once — adding an afternoon dose alongside the morning one I already had — and it really did make a difference.
 
domin8brix said:

One thing that has made a big difference for me is keeping a repeating timer going throughout the day, maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. If you have an Apple Watch, open the timer app, set it to something like 5 minutes, and each time it rings, restart it and take a sip.
That's a solid suggestion, though I can imagine it would drive me crazy if an alarm sounded every 5 minutes!
 
Turnus said:

domin8brix said:

One thing that has made a big difference for me is keeping a repeating timer going throughout the day, maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. If you have an Apple Watch, open the timer app, set it to something like 5 minutes, and each time it rings, restart it and take a sip.
That's a solid suggestion, though I can imagine it would drive me crazy if an alarm sounded every 5 minutes!
Sure, it's a hassle, but if it's the only way I'll actually get the water down, then I'll take it.
 
Back
Top