I'm crying quite a bit, huh!

Joined
Aug 10, 2025
Messages
653
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
 
I suspect reta is hitting me the same way. Ever since I started taking it, my mood has been lower than normal. Things that used to bring me pleasure just don't anymore. My sex drive has completely vanished, and that is totally out of character for me. Hormones can't be the culprit, since last month I officially crossed into postmenopause.
 
Retatrutide brings on anhedonia, and a drop in sexual desire is something I experience even while on low-dose TRT; my drive has always been high, and at this point it feels as though I could simply skip it.
 
Hearing all of this really hits me hard, but I'm truly grateful that people are opening up about what they've been through so honestly.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
I've gone through the full cast audiobook 2 times. How did the submarine chapter strike you?

On a different note, what's your take on swans?

Joking aside, I hope you're feeling better soon.
 
It’s rough that the universe (and probably reta!) has turned you into someone who tears up out of nowhere. Ugh, boo. Still, this got me thinking about something. I can’t help but wonder how any of these GLP-1 APIs might be influencing my mood and emotions if I weren’t already on lexipro for those same blues. My whole life, I’d cry over the smallest thing, exactly like what you’re going through now — even just repeating some sad story I’d seen online to another person would make me get all choked up. And then there was the humiliation at work when frustration set off the same waterworks. Eventually I’d had it, and 5 years ago I told my Dr I wanted help, and he suggested trying the lexi.

My life was effing transformed. In a matter of weeks, I could watch sad videos and movies and only cry when they genuinely hit me, rather than just from being exposed to them. These days I can share sad tales, tall and true, without stopping because I’m getting faklempt. I’m still on that same starting 5mg, but realizing this is how most people go through life makes me so irritated that I endured it for so long.

And wow, isn’t it exactly like food noise and the GLP1s! People who don’t deal with it have no clue what those who do go through, and seeing it from the other side and feeling “normal” is wild.

I hope your emotions settle with the reta soon. If they don’t, well, you’ve got all that trusty tirz saved up.
 
It makes complete sense that emotions are hitting you harder at the moment, particularly given everything you mentioned. Nothing you listed is minor or trivial. It’s as if your whole system is running a little hotter than normal, yet that isn’t a sign that anything is broken in you. Thanks for opening up about it, and please remember others are in this with you.
 
Ruckus4519 said:

randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
I've gone through the full cast audiobook 2 times. How did the submarine chapter strike you?

On a different note, what's your take on swans?

Joking aside, I hope you're feeling better soon.
The pilot and the skywatcher. That one's had me weeping for 2 decades. But when I reached the scene where the sergent discovers the turtle and begins murmuring to it, I completely fell apart.

I appreciate everyone's kindness. Honestly, I'm okay — it's not like I'm in nonstop agony or anything. And it isn't anhedonia either; I went through that for several months on tirz, though not as much while on tirz. That felt different — more like "nothing in particular appeals to me right now." This is more like "I'm going about my day thinking about work and my bike, then I read a poem about a spider and I'm sobbing on the couch, and then I get on my bike." That's why I figure if it's not perimeno, it's reta; this flavor of emotion seems chemical instead of situational.
 
I hope things improve for you quickly!! How about spending some time on cheerful, lighthearted shows or books? Another option is going back to the tirz to check whether this keeps occurring? It genuinely could be one or the other. Doing that would let you determine which one is responsible. Either way, it's awful. Ugh, all the unpleasant stuff we end up dealing with
 
WoW, that's yet another thing I've just found out about....

Perhaps it accounts for why my sex drive vanishes (at times).

And I don't mean to joke about it; but the enjoyment I used to feel with my morning coffee is gone.

It's been more than a month since my last coffee.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
Random, don't feel down.... you've got our love, and anyway WW3 is probably only a few months off, so no need to stress.... perhaps lower that 750mg of testosterone per week and raise the arimidex. Hugs.
 
PS perhaps have your hormone levels tested. I've come across so many people saying HRT helps them feel better.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
Hey… first off, that was beautifully written, and it hit very close to home for me.

I’m going through perimenopause as well, and at one stage I had almost that same realisation… like, "hold on… why is everything making me cry these days?" Not because I was sad or falling apart, just… all of it sat nearer the surface.

In my case….the hormonal picture accounted for so much of what you describe. Estrogen in perimenopause does not simply taper off… it swings around a lot, sometimes quite sharply.

The shorter cycle you mentioned matters too. On a 3-week cycle the hormones often move faster, and progesterone (the more calming one) sometimes clears out sooner. That leaves you sitting in that "emotionally open" state for longer stretches.

For me personally, perimenopause shifted far more than I had expected. For a while I did not feel like myself, and I could not put my finger on why. Starting HRT made a real difference… not by numbing anything, just by making things steadier and more grounded.

And just to be clear on one point… there is nothing in what you wrote that sounds alarming. You come across as self-aware, grounded, and genuinely connected to your life and what you go through. If anything, it reads like your brain is simply letting more feeling through at the moment.

You are far from the only one who has been through this ❤️
 
Stick with it. You chose Reta (or tirz) for a purpose, so don't lose sight of that purpose: dropping pounds. Make sure you're getting proper rest. GLP-1s set off a whole range of chemical responses within the body, and your reactions might hit harder than most. Opening up about what you're going through is already a solid first move. You might also try keeping a private journal to track how things are going with Reta.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
Random, don't feel down.... you've got our love, and anyway WW3 is probably only a few months off, so no need to stress.... perhaps lower that 750mg of testosterone per week and raise the arimidex. Hugs.
what a foolish move on my part to drop all those pounds JUST as a global food shortage is about to kick off! Had I just held off, I'd have earned myself a handful of additional months living off chickweed and dried beans!
 
randompersonrandom said:

Airborne Daddy said:

randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
Random, don't feel down.... you've got our love, and anyway WW3 is probably only a few months off, so no need to stress.... perhaps lower that 750mg of testosterone per week and raise the arimidex. Hugs.
what a foolish move on my part to drop all those pounds JUST as a global food shortage is about to kick off! Had I just held off, I'd have earned myself a handful of additional months living off chickweed and dried beans!
Plus ramen.... by then, sodium won't be a concern.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

randompersonrandom said:

Airborne Daddy said:

randompersonrandom said:

I hadn't picked up on it earlier, mainly since I'm perimenopausal and my cycle runs every 3 weeks, so emotionally things have been...intense lately. Then a coworker offhandedly commented that I seem to be crying often (they didn't see it happen or anything, but I'm not usually a crier, so it pops up in "after work yesterday" anecdotes.) I brushed it off, thinking it was just premenstrual. But while cleaning and making things safe for kids—my not-daughter and not-granddaughter are coming over tomorrow—I caught myself crying without thinking while emptying the dishwasher.

So I reflected on it, and yeah; there's been a noticeable increase since mid-March. Overall, I'm pretty content with life; not depressed or in pain or in a rough spot; what sets me off runs the whole spectrum. Dear Evan Hansen. Pretty much any poem involving a spider. Yesterday, my boss gave me a division award and didn't rely on ChatGPT for his speech because he figured it would upset me, so he personally took the time to express his thoughts. Several Hamilton tracks. My late dad. A high school crush, who I'm definitely NOT into now but was back then, and now I bawl when "Iris" plays. Anything about my mom sort of maturing alongside me and her efforts to be decent. My closest friend, gone for about 3 years now. World War Z, nearly every section. TV series. Ads for children's hospitals. Wondering if my unbroken ancestral line would feel pride or shame in me. etc. etc. etc. etc, just going through my day with a tissue.

No advice needed; if it's perimeno, it's nothing; if it's reta, it'll probably lessen eventually, and my life isn't one where some crying messes anything up. But I recall a few folks mentioning mood swings on reta, and I might be experiencing some. Just wanted to toss my data-point into the mix.
Random, don't feel down.... you've got our love, and anyway WW3 is probably only a few months off, so no need to stress.... perhaps lower that 750mg of testosterone per week and raise the arimidex. Hugs.
what a foolish move on my part to drop all those pounds JUST as a global food shortage is about to kick off! Had I just held off, I'd have earned myself a handful of additional months living off chickweed and dried beans!
Plus ramen.... by then, sodium won't be a concern.
Sure, there are higher-protein options available these days. The problem is that the sodium content remains very high.
 
Back
Top